Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Halfway to Home Confinement

My husband has been in the halfway house for about 3 weeks. The issue is that he was supposed to be on home confinement. I was assuming it was due to the government shut down but talks around the halfway house is that they have no intention of giving home confinement. Is the halfway house allowed to make those changes? His paperwork prior to his release to the halfway house stated home confinement and the date I picked him up.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 739 Posts

Yes. My husband is about to go to the HWH and he was also approved for direct home confinement, but as we have learned through our lawyer, direct home confinement means squat, and it is entirely at the halfway house's discretion when to send him home. They want to see him doing everything he can to get a job (mine has one), follow all the rules, etc. The quicker he does and acclimate back (so they say), the sooner he will be able to go on hc. In our case, the rumor is they keep them about 6 weeks. The problem with that is his entire HWH time is only 53 days, so it's ridiculous that he will go through this whole rigmarole to then get 11 days of HC and go through to learn more rules and regulations not to mention the fact that I've had a land line that I've been paying $35/month for the last 3 months ready.

They also won't let them come home for home visits or home confinement with a home inspection regardless if the PO has done one, and they claim they are 6 weeks behind on the inspection. Total bs considering his PO did it last May!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,979 Times in 12,182 Posts

Until fairly recently, the HWH confiscated 25% of their resident's gross wages (closer to 1/3 of their take home pay) in both the HWH and HC. The change stopped them from taking money from folks on HC, so it seems to me that the HWH loses money whenever they send someone to HC who has a paying job. Since satisfying the job requirement is required for getting sent to HC, I'm not surprised, since they have a financial incentive to keep all of their beds full with people who have jobs.

The bop community corrections manager has to approve HC, but I don't know if they also have any input about "residents" who are not allowed to go home.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Until fairly recently, the HWH confiscated 25% of their resident's gross wages (closer to 1/3 of their take home pay) in both the HWH and HC. The change stopped them from taking money from folks on HC, so it seems to me that the HWH loses money whenever they send someone to HC who has a paying job. Since satisfying the job requirement is required for getting sent to HC, I'm not surprised, since they have a financial incentive to keep all of their beds full with people who have jobs.

The bop community corrections manager has to approve HC, but I don't know if they also have any input about "residents" who are not allowed to go home.
Totally agree with this, although they deny it! What we have learned over the last 9 months of talking to the different guys that have been through it, is that they are keeping the white collar guys the longest. Makes sense because they are the ones finding the jobs first and the best jobs, or they can go back to their old jobs in some cases. There is a cap (I think it's $103/day) of what the HWH can get. They also often cause the least amount of trouble. So, as a teacher I get it unfortunately and it sucks. We like to deal the least with the "problem children". So, what does the HWH do, get rid of the problem children first because they're the biggest headaches, and keep the children that will be the least amount of work for them. I didn't buy into that at first, but every single person I've talked to has had this same experience and has gotten stuck there longer than is necessary. One guy had his own company and had to stay there. It's ridiculous. My husband and I hope for the best, but expect the worst just like with his sentencing. We just assume he will be there for the entire 53 days. He has made it through 400+ in prison, this won't be much worse. This HWH at least has private rooms and I have heard is not that bad. But with the cold here, I am sure a lot of the people aren't going out, so it will be a busy place the first few days he is there, although it's supposed to get back into the 40's this weekend so that's a good thing. It does tell me that the second he's approved for a car, we need to get it to him, no matter how inconvenient it is for us at home, because I cannot have him outside walking to a train or bus in this weather. It is not safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM

6 Days and I go pick her up, and like you all I expect nothing but the opposite of what her case manager told me. The one thing about the conversation I had with her case manager that I found interesting is that she was the first person employed with the BOP who took time to answer my questions and give good guidance.
She didn't give me specifics, and explained why when we got to those questions. For instance, when I asked when my fiance would be able to start work, she simply told me more than likely it will be the beginning of her second week here since she won't get here until the late afternoon on February 5. She explained that it'll take about 3 days to go over orientation, get signatures, and get fully checked in, but that as soon as that was completed she could go back to work.
When I asked about weekend passes, she was very clear that a landline had to be installed, and that I needed to get a second line for them due to having Xfinity, and that they would need to complete a home inspection, but if all of that was completed, then after two working weeks, she would be eiligible. I felt for the first time like I got clear, and concise answers. I don't necessarily trust those answers, it was just a nice surprise I guess.
I'm sure we'll face our share of ups and downs even while she's only 30 minutes up the road, but it'll better than being 7 hours away, and she works a public job and I go see her then.
Regardless it's less than a week before I see her next.
The Following User Says Thank You to fentastic0076 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fentastic0076 View Post
6 Days and I go pick her up, and like you all I expect nothing but the opposite of what her case manager told me. The one thing about the conversation I had with her case manager that I found interesting is that she was the first person employed with the BOP who took time to answer my questions and give good guidance.
She didn't give me specifics, and explained why when we got to those questions. For instance, when I asked when my fiance would be able to start work, she simply told me more than likely it will be the beginning of her second week here since she won't get here until the late afternoon on February 5. She explained that it'll take about 3 days to go over orientation, get signatures, and get fully checked in, but that as soon as that was completed she could go back to work.
When I asked about weekend passes, she was very clear that a landline had to be installed, and that I needed to get a second line for them due to having Xfinity, and that they would need to complete a home inspection, but if all of that was completed, then after two working weeks, she would be eiligible. I felt for the first time like I got clear, and concise answers. I don't necessarily trust those answers, it was just a nice surprise I guess.
I'm sure we'll face our share of ups and downs even while she's only 30 minutes up the road, but it'll better than being 7 hours away, and she works a public job and I go see her then.
Regardless it's less than a week before I see her next.
That's awesome! One thing we know here for sure, orientation at the Chicago HWH takes a minimum of 10-14 days then they can start work. Honestly, everyone says it should take no more than a couple hours. It's a complete joke. But whatever. Is what it is. The land line is the big thing. But I already have a landline, one of the last few, but I didn't want to get rid of call waiting or my other features, so I just reactivated my fax line, which literally started ringing the second I reconnected it. So annoying, but at least I muted it for now. Good luck! I'm sure I'll be sharing my stories over the next few days of the wonderful HWH, which will be enlightening no doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fentastic0076 (01-29-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Well thanks for all this information! The halfway house my husband is in is in the Bronx and they definitely want their 25% so we are just riding the wave until his time in BOP is done. I have more access to him so I am not complaining. In regards to a landline - I have no idea where to get that? I have the Verizon phone cable and internet package. Will I need something else?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Ask Verizon. My home confinement from the HWH required a landline phone with no features, but there was no such requirement once I transitioned from bop custody to supervised release, so you may not need to bother.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM

ATT for the landline!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Just found out today that Direct to at home confinement is likely not a reality - i'm so exhausted with all the BOP misinformation. I pick my boyfriend up on the 14th to take him to halfway house. His sentence is over March 17th, should we bother with him trying to find a job? We run a business which I've been running on my own while he's gone but doesn't sound like that'll be an option for his employment. Any thoughts with what our options are at this point? Thought he'd be home by the following Tuesday at the latest so been pretty bummed all day.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie27 View Post
Just found out today that Direct to at home confinement is likely not a reality - i'm so exhausted with all the BOP misinformation. I pick my boyfriend up on the 14th to take him to halfway house. His sentence is over March 17th, should we bother with him trying to find a job? We run a business which I've been running on my own while he's gone but doesn't sound like that'll be an option for his employment. Any thoughts with what our options are at this point? Thought he'd be home by the following Tuesday at the latest so been pretty bummed all day.
Every HWH is clearly different. Definitely don't expect on direct to hc. My husband was approved for that and turns out that's a load. Has to do orientation before they'll even consider it and now they say it's up to the BOP once he finishes orientation, although it was the BOP that approved him for direct HC in the first place! He has not been told to get a job and this is completely inconsistent with what everyone else that has been at this HWH has told him. In fact, one person there told him if he gets a job or it's in the system that he has one, then the BOP for sure will not send him home after the 2 week orientation period is over. I don't buy it, but there's no harm in that since they can't look for a job during this period anyway, and if they do tell him he has to get a job to get out, he actually will have a job. If they don't approve it, that's another story, but of course, they seem to find lots of reasons not to approve things.

His case manager approved a pass for him and me to go out for V-day dinner next week, although that is just after his 14 days, so my hope is he would actually be leaving that day. She also supposedly has to get that approved by the higher ups.

We were told DR appointments aren't a problem. He had a bunch scheduled, but now his case manager said it doesn't look good if he requests too many Dr appointments. Hello? He hasn't seen certain Drs in over a year and some for more. He needs to get these appointments in. He can't wait months more and if there's another shutdown, then none of these things, including going home, will be approved. Oh and he has 6 hours for Dr appointments, which should be ok, but he doesn't have a car and it takes over an hour to get to each Dr because unless I pick him up, he's got to take a train and if I pick him up, then we have to worry about traffic and leaving more than an hour each way anyway. Not that a Dr should take 4 hours, but sometimes you just never know! He has an eye appt and will need new glasses, but won't even have time to go afterwards to get the glasses due to the time it takes to get to the appt, his exam, the dilation, etc. Pain in the ass!

The good news fortunately, is other than them coming into his room every 2 hours and the horrendous pillow (I actually wonder if he can get a medical justification for getting a better one), he said the HWH isn't that bad. It's clean, the showers are good, the food is fantastic, and most importantly, it's quiet. They also can have iPhones at this one. The problem however, is that it's obvious that in his case there is absolutely no effort for any sort of reintegration. Not one bit of the orientation or class that he has had has anything to do with orientation. For others possibly, but so far everything he has gone to has to do with the rules of the HWH, or procedures, but not about transitioning back into the real world, or how things work, etc. I hope for guys who really do need these services they do a better job. It would be great though if they had a required once/week at least, group therapy in there of all types of residents of the HWH, to talk about their experiences and what has worked for them and what has not worked for them as they have entered the real world as well as having people come back and speak. Because at the end of the day, these people putting on these classes, the case managers, the PO, none of them know what these guys have been through, nor can they really relate to it at all.

They keep these guys on leashes, but that doesn't teach reintegration nor does it really teach them accountability. He gets a pass to go to synagogue from 3-7 this Sunday. No one checks if he goes to synagogue. All he needs is to bring a program from the synagogue. It takes 2 seconds for that and then these guys can be off doing whatever they want the other 3+ hours. Stupid.

It's neither reintegration or accountability. The case manager even said oh go to synagogue and then go get a meal afterwards if you want. So even they know people don't sit in the synagogue or church for 4 hours!

Anyway, your husband might get out sooner or he might not. In Minnesota, the guys go to the HWH for 1 hour orientation then go right home. So each one is completely different than the next. In our case, my husband is essentially living for free, getting home cooked meals (which he isn't going to get here from me lol), and isn't spending any money inside, so at the end of the day, he's not costing me much other than his health insurance and a few extras, so at least it's not as bad as it could be.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Every HWH is clearly different. Definitely don't expect on direct to hc. My husband was approved for that and turns out that's a load. Has to do orientation before they'll even consider it and now they say it's up to the BOP once he finishes orientation, although it was the BOP that approved him for direct HC in the first place! He has not been told to get a job and this is completely inconsistent with what everyone else that has been at this HWH has told him. In fact, one person there told him if he gets a job or it's in the system that he has one, then the BOP for sure will not send him home after the 2 week orientation period is over. I don't buy it, but there's no harm in that since they can't look for a job during this period anyway, and if they do tell him he has to get a job to get out, he actually will have a job. If they don't approve it, that's another story, but of course, they seem to find lots of reasons not to approve things.

His case manager approved a pass for him and me to go out for V-day dinner next week, although that is just after his 14 days, so my hope is he would actually be leaving that day. She also supposedly has to get that approved by the higher ups.

We were told DR appointments aren't a problem. He had a bunch scheduled, but now his case manager said it doesn't look good if he requests too many Dr appointments. Hello? He hasn't seen certain Drs in over a year and some for more. He needs to get these appointments in. He can't wait months more and if there's another shutdown, then none of these things, including going home, will be approved. Oh and he has 6 hours for Dr appointments, which should be ok, but he doesn't have a car and it takes over an hour to get to each Dr because unless I pick him up, he's got to take a train and if I pick him up, then we have to worry about traffic and leaving more than an hour each way anyway. Not that a Dr should take 4 hours, but sometimes you just never know! He has an eye appt and will need new glasses, but won't even have time to go afterwards to get the glasses due to the time it takes to get to the appt, his exam, the dilation, etc. Pain in the ass!

The good news fortunately, is other than them coming into his room every 2 hours and the horrendous pillow (I actually wonder if he can get a medical justification for getting a better one), he said the HWH isn't that bad. It's clean, the showers are good, the food is fantastic, and most importantly, it's quiet. They also can have iPhones at this one. The problem however, is that it's obvious that in his case there is absolutely no effort for any sort of reintegration. Not one bit of the orientation or class that he has had has anything to do with orientation. For others possibly, but so far everything he has gone to has to do with the rules of the HWH, or procedures, but not about transitioning back into the real world, or how things work, etc. I hope for guys who really do need these services they do a better job. It would be great though if they had a required once/week at least, group therapy in there of all types of residents of the HWH, to talk about their experiences and what has worked for them and what has not worked for them as they have entered the real world as well as having people come back and speak. Because at the end of the day, these people putting on these classes, the case managers, the PO, none of them know what these guys have been through, nor can they really relate to it at all.

They keep these guys on leashes, but that doesn't teach reintegration nor does it really teach them accountability. He gets a pass to go to synagogue from 3-7 this Sunday. No one checks if he goes to synagogue. All he needs is to bring a program from the synagogue. It takes 2 seconds for that and then these guys can be off doing whatever they want the other 3+ hours. Stupid.

It's neither reintegration or accountability. The case manager even said oh go to synagogue and then go get a meal afterwards if you want. So even they know people don't sit in the synagogue or church for 4 hours!

Anyway, your husband might get out sooner or he might not. In Minnesota, the guys go to the HWH for 1 hour orientation then go right home. So each one is completely different than the next. In our case, my husband is essentially living for free, getting home cooked meals (which he isn't going to get here from me lol), and isn't spending any money inside, so at the end of the day, he's not costing me much other than his health insurance and a few extras, so at least it's not as bad as it could be.
Thanks for all your insight! We've had it pretty good, he's been at a very relaxed camp for his time and so i'm feeling like after my short visit to the HWH today and how chaotic it was it will be an adjustment. Seems like he should just tough out the month there and then we can just move on. Just hard when they lay
Out expectations and they never come through.

Hope you guys do get a nice Valentine's dinner though! We'll get a few minutes together that day of me driving him to HWH.

Ps - love your username, my boyfriend went to KU so we're surrounded with all things Rock Chalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie27 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your insight! We've had it pretty good, he's been at a very relaxed camp for his time and so i'm feeling like after my short visit to the HWH today and how chaotic it was it will be an adjustment. Seems like he should just tough out the month there and then we can just move on. Just hard when they lay
Out expectations and they never come through.

Hope you guys do get a nice Valentine's dinner though! We'll get a few minutes together that day of me driving him to HWH.

Ps - love your username, my boyfriend went to KU so we're surrounded with all things Rock Chalk
Mine was at a good camp, but this is definitely better and his max time there is only 53 days if he were to get stuck there. He is essentially done with orientation other than hearing what the chaplain has to say (the guy didn't show up today), and then his last thing on Monday before his case manager can put in the HC request. He's been able to exercise sporadically, and use a computer, also sporadically. Next week however, will be a dead week if he doesn't get the HC approval, so I'm going to start bringing him projects to start researching and working on from there. He also has some other stuff he can do and books to read, fortunately, but best is they now allow smart phones so he can actually catch up on emails and have access to sports and news which is what he was starving for before.

Yep Rock Chalk, you got it! It will be interesting though going forward, one of my daughters is going to University of Texas next fall for college, so I told her that for basketball my loyalties are KU, but for everything else, I'm a Longhorn parent. Of course, KU always sucked at football, so that's easy and there is nothing like KU b-ball!

As for V-day, we have a reservation up here in case he does get out, but if he doesn't, we will just go somewhere not far from the HWH that is not glamorous. He even had to give her the specific restaurant. We picked a cheap all you can eat sushi place. My husband who isn't even a big sushi eater is dying for it, so it works for me. I don't need the bells and whistles of Valentine's Day. Just would rather he get home and happy he's out of the prison! Come March, this is all over!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:13 PM

Ha, werk i'm glad you put your foot down with the KU basketball. His HWH is supposed to allow smart phones so I have one waiting for him, it will be nice not to have timed phone calls - having a constantly monitored relationship really wears on you!

Nice to hear there may be some normalcy if he's in there until March. I just want him home. Was thinking ther other day how nice it would be to be able to roll over in the morning and him, just the little things.

Happiest of Valentine's day to you all!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Ha, werk i'm glad you put your foot down with the KU basketball. His HWH is supposed to allow smart phones so I have one waiting for him, it will be nice not to have timed phone calls - having a constantly monitored relationship really wears on you!

Nice to hear there may be some normalcy if he's in there until March. I just want him home. Was thinking ther other day how nice it would be to be able to roll over in the morning and him, just the little things.

Happiest of Valentine's day to you all!
Just in case you need to do this too, for the smart phone, they needed me to provide a notarized letter that I bought and gifted the phone to him, as well as the type of phone, the serial number and the color. I think they've been having problems with people passing around the phones and not everyone (SO) are allowed to have access to them.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

At my HWH the only way "residents" could get permission to work at their own, or their family's business was if they were supervised by a non family member. But as has already been said, each HWH has their own understanding of the bop rules. The next milestone will be when he is "released from custody" (and the HWH), and finally the real "end" when supervised release is over.