Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Default SHU, he's in "The Hole" accused of substance use

Hello,

My boyfriend is currently at FCI Petersburg Medium. He was at low until he was accused of being under the influence of alcohol and drugs. He was then sent to Special Housing Unit, "The Hole". We had requested a urinalysis and was denied. I have been trying to get information about any updates but his counselor just keeps saying that she needs him to fill out a release form. She keeps saying she going up to see him and then each time I call she gives me the same excuse. He went on December 19, 2018. Should I complain to the Warden? Call the Regional Offices and write a complaint? What issues can come up with him being in the hole? What can I do to support and help?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,389 Posts

Has he asked you to do anything? If not, leave it alone

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,979 Times in 12,182 Posts

The bop has a policy for drug and alcohol use, but the ones I experienced were always urine or breathalyzer tests. I also think that on-site tests are then sent to a real lab for confirmation. If drugs or alcohol are found that may be different.

He needs to file an inmate grievance questioning if the correct testing procedures were followed. If he was charged without actual evidence, it is likely that he would be found guilty in his disciplinary hearing anyway. It is a kangaroo court.

Your other post says you contacted the Assistant Warden, and I hope it has a positive result for your boyfriend.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:22 PM

I just went through this exact scenario! Same place. Problem is they are overcrowded in the shu and DHO is so far behind it takes forever to be seen. My son requested the release form for 3 weeks and he never got it. Counselor told me every week that she would see him Friday, she never did and when she did she questioned why he wanted the form and he didn’t get it. The form is actually online and I mailed it to him. He filled it out and turned it in himself. The form is BP-A0192 release of information consent.

My son was in the shu for over 3 months without being seen by DHO and if we had let it go and not called to help him when he asked us to, he would still be in there.
The only time things got moving was when we contacted the EA of the assistant warden to check on him, however, they made things worse for him for a little while and we were prepared for that. But my son was desperate and was even asking to see the mental health people at one point. Most of the staff at the Medium were respectful and helpful, but not the counselor or LT.
Good luck and hope it gets resolved soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beachymom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Some counselors are helpful, but definitely not all of them. Most Lieutenants are harsh. I'm glad you were able to help him finally get out of Petersburg's SHU. Some of those cells have 3-high steel bunkbeds, which don't have enough headroom to sit up, which makes them even nastier.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Has he asked you to do anything? If not, leave it alone
Yes he has asked for help.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenkie For This Useful Post:
joybubby (02-10-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The bop has a policy for drug and alcohol use, but the ones I experienced were always urine or breathalyzer tests. I also think that on-site tests are then sent to a real lab for confirmation. If drugs or alcohol are found that may be different.

He needs to file an inmate grievance questioning if the correct testing procedures were followed. If he was charged without actual evidence, it is likely that he would be found guilty in his disciplinary hearing anyway. It is a kangaroo court.

Your other post says you contacted the Assistant Warden, and I hope it has a positive result for your boyfriend.
They haven't given him a Urinalysis even though he has asked and so have I. It seems the LT who put him in there is the same one who we need to get to monitor the test and he is not budging. They even told me that he doesn't have visit rights.
fbopnomore (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachymom View Post
I just went through this exact scenario! Same place. Problem is they are overcrowded in the shu and DHO is so far behind it takes forever to be seen. My son requested the release form for 3 weeks and he never got it. Counselor told me every week that she would see him Friday, she never did and when she did she questioned why he wanted the form and he didnít get it. The form is actually online and I mailed it to him. He filled it out and turned it in himself. The form is BP-A0192 release of information consent.

My son was in the shu for over 3 months without being seen by DHO and if we had let it go and not called to help him when he asked us to, he would still be in there.
The only time things got moving was when we contacted the EA of the assistant warden to check on him, however, they made things worse for him for a little while and we were prepared for that. But my son was desperate and was even asking to see the mental health people at one point. Most of the staff at the Medium were respectful and helpful, but not the counselor or LT.
Good luck and hope it gets resolved soon.

I just filled out the form and will be mailing it today. Thank you. Is this consent form allow me access to what is going on with him? He is asking me to reach out to the Warden or even to the Regional office. He doesn't lie to me. There were times that he was and he told me. This time he is persistent that he wasn't and has even requested a urine test which the LT is refusing. I know what being in the hole can do to someone. I worked with Inmates and Soldiers that had PTSD for similar reasons. I just refuse to allow someone to abuse anyone I love for their own personal reasons.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Prison staff members, especially Lieutenants, have virtually unlimited power to harass inmates they don't like. bop policies are binding only for the employees who follow them.

Since you guys are already fighting, consider filing a complaint with the Dept. of Justice's Inspector General, which investigates wrongdoing by bop employees, about why the prison LT is withholding drug testing. If the policy requires the prison to pursue certain investigatory steps, and they haven't/didn't, that is something the IG can do.
https://oig.justice.gov/hotline/index.htm
Old 02-06-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkie View Post
I just filled out the form and will be mailing it today. Thank you. Is this consent form allow me access to what is going on with him? He is asking me to reach out to the Warden or even to the Regional office. He doesn't lie to me. There were times that he was and he told me. This time he is persistent that he wasn't and has even requested a urine test which the LT is refusing. I know what being in the hole can do to someone. I worked with Inmates and Soldiers that had PTSD for similar reasons. I just refuse to allow someone to abuse anyone I love for their own personal reasons.
Is he calling you while in SHU?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Is he calling you while in SHU?
He only gets one call a month
fbopnomore (02-11-2019)