Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Will he be released to halfway house in CA or will they let him come to TN?

I live in TN and my 23 yr old son is in Victorville CA. Will he be released to a halfway house in CA or will they let him come to TN? What happens if I don't let him live with me due to suspicion behavior of using and dealing on top possible owning money? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,859 Times in 15,589 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! He can file for Interstate Compact while still in prison. If approved, he can parole to your home in TN.

He should speak with his Counselor about getting that started at least 120 days before release.

I'll be moving your thread to Cali's sub-forum for parole

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jeannbean64 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM

What about what happens if I am nervous and scared of putting our lives in harm's way. What are his options?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,250 Times in 7,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannbean64 View Post
What about what happens if I am nervous and scared of putting our lives in harm's way. What are his options?
In California, if they are being released on parole supervision (most are), they will need an approved parole plan before they can be released. No one is deferred to a halfway house unless they have applied to, been accepted to, and have a signed acceptance letter as part of their parole plan. So here are the questions you need to ask:

*Where was he arrested? This is the county that will automatically pop up as his county of parole.
*When is his EPRD? Meaning right now, what is his expected date of parole?
*He cannot go to another state without an approved IC (interstate compact agreement). This means that both CA and TN would need to approve the plan. There are variables too wide to discuss here, but they ALL hinge on you agreeing to house him. If you don't agree, it doesn't happen. If you do agree, this IC need to be filed roughly 120 days before his anticipated release. He will need to have all restitution and fines paid in advance of approval. And, he will need to actually make parole.

*If you do not agree to the responsibility of housing him through an IC (and it is a responsibility as you're opening your home to law enforcement 24/7), his options are:
-apply to a halfway house in CA and obtain conditional acceptance
-find a friend or loved one in the state of CA who is willing and able to house him
-look for felon-friendly housing and have his financial ducks in a row in order to pay for it
-if he has a substance abuse issue, this may limit his options. if he has a sex offense on his record, this may limit his options. however, there are programs that specialize in both.

Bottom line is nothing will be forced on you. He can't leave the state on parole without permission. If he's maxing out and will not be on supervision, that's a different story. But then it's up to you whether you want him in your home. No one is forcing it there, either.

Last edited by miamac; 02-10-2019 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
jeannbean64 (02-10-2019), patchouli (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. He was arrested in Texas and transferred to CA. I love him but don't trust him. As a mother it's difficult knowing the boundaries of enabling and helping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeannbean64 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-11-2019), miamac (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannbean64 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. He was arrested in Texas and transferred to CA. I love him but don't trust him. As a mother it's difficult knowing the boundaries of enabling and helping.
I can imagine it's a really tough decision. I'm assuming his charges stem from CA, so it would be the county that held jurisdiction over his charges that would be his county of parole. If he has no ties to that county (friends, family, employment opportunities), it may be in his best interest to start applying to halfway houses and see if he can secure housing that way.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,285 Times in 14,723 Posts

Is he in a federal prison? I thought Victorville was a federal prison? (pls correct me if Im wrong)
You might check out this forum for some answers
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=602
If not please disregard.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Yes, his charges are from Texas and is in Federal Prison in Victorville, California.

Thank yoy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeannbean64 For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-11-2019), patchouli (02-11-2019), sidewalker (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,859 Times in 15,589 Posts

Whoops! I didn't put 2 & 2 together, sorry about that I'll now move the thread to the Federal forum as Federal is different than State

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-11-2019), miamac (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,969 Times in 12,176 Posts

His designated release point will be the city (Texas) where his sentence was handed out. He will either be sent to a half way house, or released there if he serves out his sentence in bop prison. Interstate compact transfers don't apply to US federal inmates.

He can apply for a change of release location to his bop unit team. He will need to show them enough valid reasons why the transfer will be in his best interest (family, housing, jobs, etc.) to receive their approval. If so, it will be sent to the US Probation office in the new city to be reviewed. They will investigate, usually including a home inspection and if they agree, he will be either be sent to a HWH, or released to "supervised release/federal probation" there.

If denied, he will be released to the federal judicial district where he was sentenced. He can also request a change of supervision from there, but my PO told me it is easier to receive a transfer from prison than it is once he is already being supervised at another location.

He should make his request to his unit team at least 6 months prior to his expected HWH date.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

My apologies. There is a state prison in Victorville and my mind automatically went there. Ignore everything I said as it applies to state.

Fbop has directed you toward good info. Best of luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-12-2019), jeannbean64 (02-20-2019), patchouli (02-11-2019)