Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MONTANA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

MONTANA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Montana - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Prison Visitation, Prison Mail & Phones, News & Information, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Account Closed

Default What kind of books can you send to a inmate in Montana?

I am writing with an inmate who is doing live in prison in Deerlodge. I have asked him if it is possible for me to order books for him at Barnes and Nobles. He did not know if it is O.K. for me to order any. He also did not know if he can make a phone call over seas. Does anyone here know what the rules are at Deerlodge. I have send e-mails to the prison but i got no respons back.
I sure hope that someone can help me with this.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,652 Times in 349 Posts

Amanda,

I am sorry that I cannot answer your question about sending books.... I am however surprised that your friend does not know if you can send books in - he should know this. One reason why you may not get a response from the prison is that many prisons expect the Prisoner to supply this information to their friends on the outside... He should have access to the rules of mail and packages...

As far as overseas calls - No, unfortunately most prisons do not allow overseas calling. It is a function of the phone system that is only programed for them to dial numbers that are 11 digits in length.

You can contact TeleNet or Prison Calls Online by clicking on a banner here on PTO - they have a prepaid service that I believe it available for overseas calls. I am sorry but I do not know the cost. TeleNet and Prison Calls Online are sponsors of PTO and they are trusted, so I recommend that you contact them about the calls.

I hope someone comes along with more information about packages to the prison.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 08-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Account Closed

Yes, you can order books from Barnes and Noble and have them sent in. I've got the mail rules and I'm writing to someone there doing LWOP. If you have any other questions, my guy just sent me the mail rules and I'll look up things for you if you want. He said there are updated rules coming out and when he gets them he'll send them to me, but he made corrections on the pages he sent me, so they should be pretty current. Be sure to tell them the book is going to a prison because I think it needs to be sent by US mail and not UPS.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:04 AM
Account Closed

Thanks for helping me here, it is good to hear that i can sent him books. I always thought Barnes and Nobles were sending their mail by US mail.
I will also check out about the calls, would be nice if we could talk to each other.
If i need to know anything else i will let you know.
I am one happy girl cause now i can sent him a book
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Account Closed

Fred told me the prison has a contract with Barnes and Noble, so I'm sure if you tell them it's being sent to a prisoner in Deer Lodge, Montana, they'll know how to send it. I'm excited to be able to send books, too. I haven't been able to afford to so far, but next month I will, and they'll make good gifts for holidays and birthdays.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:43 AM
Account Closed

They sure do make good gifts for holidays and birthdays.
I have not much money my self and i cannot sent him a book every month but that does not matter. The main thing is that i can send it and to know, that it will put a smile on his face. We try to do anything to make them happy and make them feel good
Old 08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Account Closed

That's right. It means a lot to them, too. I didn't think to ask if the books have to be soft cover there, but you might want to just make sure what you send is soft cover to be on the safe side. I'll ask Fred in my next letter. Some prisons don't allow hardcover books because they can be used as weapons.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Account Closed

Sometimes i get really tired about all those rules. Normally i put little stickers on the envelope, it just looks nice. He had to tell me that i could not do that anymore. They are affraid that i put drugs behind the little stickers. I wrote my friend Paul a letter today and i asked him if he could get the mail rules for me. I think he is not used to have someone that will do these things for him. Maybe that is why he does not know. It is always nice to talk to someone who also have a friend in the same prison. Think you know more about Deerlodge than me. Anyway it is nice talking to you.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Account Closed

Your welcome. I'm sorry I didn't see your response sooner. Somehow it slipped past me. If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know. Peacetrails can probably answer questions for you, too.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 AM

Unhappy my son is also in deerlodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
I am writing with an inmate who is doing live in prison in Deerlodge. I have asked him if it is possible for me to order books for him at Barnes and Nobles. He did not know if it is O.K. for me to order any. He also did not know if he can make a phone call over seas. Does anyone here know what the rules are at Deerlodge. I have send e-mails to the prison but i got no respons back. sure hope that someone can help me with this.
amanda my son is also in deerlodge he was taken today january 21 2004 he got 20 years with 10 suppended do you know how much of that he will have to serve.he has to do sex offenders treatment before he can go for parole. how long does that take do you know i'am new to all off this. or may be you know who can help me .thank you very much sharon
Old 05-23-2004, 10:24 PM

Red face Sharon

I do not know how long the sex offender program is but I do know that he must do a quarter of his time in your case 2 1/2 years before he is parole eligible. I also know that Deer Lodge does use to have good time but doesn't any more When he goes in front of the parole board there a couple things that will make a huge difference in their desicion. Clear conduct is very important and so is a parol plan,a stable home, a job and a support person. My fiance has a 60 yr sentance in Deer Lodge. Hope this has helped you

<O></O>

Last edited by Cooper's Girl; 05-23-2004 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: to add title
Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 PM

I think this is rather weird I pop in to a forum and what do I see all about my dad and the man that is in prison with him for the same crime I forgot how close we all actually are how strange thank you guys for caring so much it help me alot to know you guys are there especially when my life gets out of control and I don't have the time to write as much as I would like toi ama can you ask Fred something for me? If so PM me please
Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 PM

Evercom is the company who runs the phones in Montana, they allow phone calls to anywhere, but oversees you would have to prepay and they are SUPER expensive. My fiance is only 100 miles away and the phone calls cost about $17 for 25 minutes. I hope that this helps!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Account Closed

Here's an update on the Barnes and Noble thing, too. I sent a book to that person I no longer write to and they rejected it, saying it had to come from the Barnes and Noble in Butte (if I remember right) and it had to be ordered by the inmate himself. People out here can't order books and have them sent in. Since there's a rule that only family can send the inmate money, you can't even send them the money to order it for themselves. either.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:19 PM

Over the years, Deer Lodge (and the county jails housing prisoners) has changed the rules about sending in books multiple times. I believe that currently in Deer Lodge, the prisoners have to order the books themselves. That may change at some point however, since it's changed in the past. If it does, the books will most surely have to come from a bookseller or distributor, such as Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.

You might check out some of the free prison book programs across the country. Sometimes they can get books in. The closest to MT is in Seattle.

Books To Prisoners
c/o Left Bank Books
92 Pike St., Box A
Seattle, WA 98101

http://www.bookstoprisoners.net

Also, Books Thru Bars is in Philadelphia, I believe. You can do a google search on Books, Prisoners and Free to find the others.
Closed Thread