Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NORTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of North Dakota Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Prison Visitation, mail, etc.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Help, What's a Deferred Sentence

Hi, I am really confused. Could use some help with this question: 2 years ago, my son decided to drive through ND at 90 miles per hour with a pound of weed and 2 extacy pills in his car. he was 19 years old. Anyway, after 3 weeks in jail the DA offerred to give him a "deferred 4 yr sentence - said, if he stays out of trouble for the 4 years case will be dismissed: He gladly took the offer then came back home. Within a few months, he managed to pickup a bunch of dandy criminal charges here in Washington - he's been in county now for 8 months and looks like he is gonna head of to prison for another 6-12 months on a bunch of thefts and forgery charges. Mean time, I called his probation officer in ND who said that he was supposed to check in with probabtion out here once he got back and since he never did, there is now a warrant for his arrest in ND.

Here is my question, does anyone know what will happen? When he gets out of prison here, if ND picks him up, will he have to serve the entire 4 year sentence? or will they maybe make him serve a portion? We don't have deferred sentences here in Washington, not on a felony anyway, and on a misdemeanor, if you get new criminal charges and you are on a deferred sentence on another charge, the judge can "violate" you and give you a protion of the sentence or all of the sentece. Does any of this make sense??

Any help is greatly apprecieted!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

deferred sentence
- conditional sentence: a sentence that is not passed until a specific period has elapsed in order to allow the court time to assess the behavior of the convicted person

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts