Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities > Region I Work Camps, Forestry Camps and Road Prisons:
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Region I Work Camps, Forestry Camps and Road Prisons: Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Berrydale Forrestry Camp, Bay City WC, Calhoun WC, Graceville WC, Century WC, Gulf Forestry Camp, Holmes WC, Jackson WC, Liberty WC, Okaloosa WC, Taylor WC, Wakulla WC, Walton WC

Old 11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Michele1

Default Calhoun Work Camp

Hi to all and happy holidays Does anyone know how this work camp is? My son is there, they transfered him from Calhoun Corr.Inst. Any info would surely help this lonely,mother cope with her son being away..God Bless to all
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 04:34 PM

My son is at Calhoun C.I. Work Camp. He says that if you have to be in prison then this is the place to be. There are less than 200 inmates and no one is particularly aggressive. Now and then someone will wake up irratible and there might be a fight in the yard but it is rare. At first my son had a job in the kitchen and if your son can do this, it is a good thing. Only those who have worked in the kitchen can volunteer there and if you work there or volunteer there, then after everyone is fed, you get to eat as much as you want. This was a big thing to my skinny son. He has gained 20 pounds. He is also lifting weights and has muscles for the first time in his life. Visitation is very easy going. You can arrive anytime before noon. It has not been crowded yet. My son is in dorm A2. He finally got his outside gate pass and this makes the time go fast. ...even though he got poison ivy! Let me know if there are any questions I might can answer.

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."
Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 AM

Red face Anyone w/a loved one @ Calhoun W.C.???

Hi there. My name is Diana and my 22 year old son is at Calhoun W.C. He arrived back there just a couple weeks ago after being sent to Martin C.I. for 4 months to take a construction project management class thru Florida Atlantic University. He started at Calhoun C.I. when he first left home, but was only there for about 3 months. Just looking to exchange info. and make new friends with loved ones here. Could really use one.

Dalton's Mom
Diana
Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Question Question Regarding Prision Camps??? (Graceville)

I'm really "Brand Spanking New" to the prison process, especially "work camps." Now I am seeking advice about my long time boyfriend whom is currently located at "Graceville Work Camp," In Jacksonville. He was admitted into Graceville back in the beginning of February, and for the exception for a few but scarce letters, I have been able to sorta keep in contact with him, but lately he hasn't written or called. I am aware that they I must be approved for his calling list, but does anyone know if a FL DOC inmate is allowed to write or call while he's technically in "reception"? Is there a waiting process??? If so what is the usual time? I wonder does anyone know if inmates still receive incoming letters, or are they held? Any feedback and wisdom would be highly appreciated.

Thank you, and godbless:

Ms.Mina.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Dawn loves Michael always

Typically phone lists are approved at reception. Graceville is not a reception prison, but a private one. Or are you talking about being oriented to the new camp? Has he written you? Have you sent him stamps, envelopes, paper? Put money on his account. Since he is no longer in reception you can now fill out a visitation form and send it into classification. I will be honest that I am not real familiar on what the private prisons do. Hopefully someone who has a loved one in Graceville will respond.

One thing about the phone, is it a landline? Florida inmates are not permitted to call cell phones, they will not be approved.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

Usually even phone lists that are approved at reception have to be resubmitted at the private facilities, or that's what I experienced. But if he misses that opportunity he will have to wait until his update month to turn in his phone list again. You can call his Classification Officer to find out when his next update month is. You might want to aski if you need to send a copy of the first page of your phone bill too. Some facilities require it and some don't. It's best to go ahead and know what you need before the time comes.

As WifeofMichael stated, if he doesn't have money to purchase writing supplies then you need to send him some so he can write to you. There is information as to what you can send to him in the FL Phones and Mail forum. And he can receive mail from you at anytime unless they are holding mail for investigative purposes.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!

Last edited by ben's girl; 03-14-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Doh! I forgot the private facilities use different phones. Sorry!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks, that was a great help! I sent him some extra paper and stamps and he sent me some correspondence. godbless!

My Heart, Body & Soul will always belong to Christian!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonsMom View Post
Hi there. My name is Diana and my 22 year old son is at Calhoun W.C. He arrived back there just a couple weeks ago after being sent to Martin C.I. for 4 months to take a construction project management class thru Florida Atlantic University. He started at Calhoun C.I. when he first left home, but was only there for about 3 months. Just looking to exchange info. and make new friends with loved ones here. Could really use one.

Dalton's Mom
Diana
Hi-
Just wanted to say that I read your story- I am so sorry that you, your family, and Dalton went thru such a tragic time. This has been such an eye-opener for me!

Whatever you can tell me about his time at Calhoun would be of great value to me, as my friend is there. I donít know much about this place, and he is in the box right now. His sister said she would call and find out when he can get out of there. He made a phone call to me, and told the officer to go ahead, and give him a DR, and I guess he got it! What are the phone rules anyway, so that I can understand why they didnít want him on the phone?

I will pray for him, and you, and I hope his time for release will be sooner than you think! Just tell him to stay strong, and I hope he can get involved with the church there, if he hasnít already. I hope you have one as well.

Our church has a prison ministry. There are nine guys and one young lady on our list that we write to, and all of them are somehow connected to our church. We are small- (20 people) but we send cards for their birthdays, and write them some letters. One young man, about your sonís age, said that he keeps the Easter card close to his heart when he needs comfort. I get so excited when I get a letter back from them, telling me that itís making a difference in their life!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Calhoun work camp

Hi everybody! Hope you all have had a better day than I have. I've been so depressed and worried about my bf that is doing his time at the Calhoun Work Camp. I haven't had the money to put on the phone to talk to him nor have I had the money to put on his account so that he can buy stamps and envelopes to write me. I'm sure he's ok just would like to hear from anybody that can tell me how it is at Calhoun Work Camp. Is it a good camp or it one that I have horror stories about? I need to know so that I can rest my mind just a little bit any way PLEASE!!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Does anybody ever come on to this forum?????? I would just like to know how the calhoun work camp is? I have not been able to speak to my bf there and just want to know if anybody out there knows if it is a good correctional institution or one of the ones i have heard horror stories about?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

The work camps are not as busy as the regular forums because there just aren't that many members who have experience with them or with a particular facility that someone is wanting info about.

Sorry you haven't been able to communicate with him, but I hope things look up for you soon.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
myfratboy (07-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM
aWomansAmbition

Default Calhoun Work Camp

Any info on the Calhoun Work Camp would help PLEASE!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Donation Award 

Default Calhoun

Not sure how much I can help... but what would u like to know???

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift that is why its called "The Present."
Old 07-01-2016, 03:39 AM

Default any info

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWomansAmbition View Post
Any info on the Calhoun Work Camp would help PLEASE!!!!!!
Hi there! Sorry for reaching out. I am in a similar position to you. I would love to know any details about the work camp, anything you can offer would be so enormously appreciated. I know you didn't get any answers, so perhaps in a few years someone will ask me and we can start a chain of being useful to the people coming on here hoping for important information! Thanks
Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM

I'm looking for info too. My bf was just moved over to the work camp. He seems a lot happier and it seems much more relaxed over there.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physeter View Post
Hi there! Sorry for reaching out. I am in a similar position to you. I would love to know any details about the work camp, anything you can offer would be so enormously appreciated. I know you didn't get any answers, so perhaps in a few years someone will ask me and we can start a chain of being useful to the people coming on here hoping for important information! Thanks
Do you have a loved one there??
Old 08-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebabe90 View Post
Do you have a loved one there??
I do yes, my father, though he was actually moved back to the main camp. Still, we are all hoping that he is moved back again and would love any new info on the work camp if you have any! I also got the strong impression that he was much happier in the work camp.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physeter View Post
I do yes, my father, though he was actually moved back to the main camp. Still, we are all hoping that he is moved back again and would love any new info on the work camp if you have any! I also got the strong impression that he was much happier in the work camp.
Why was he moved back???
Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebabe90 View Post
Why was he moved back???
High blood pressure!