Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Lost without u...

Default Loving our Native Men

Hello everyone,

I have been on this site for awhile now and I wanted to introduce myself. I am from Bay Mills Reservation and Chippewa Indian. My honey was incarcerated on April 13, 2006 and will be gone for one month, he too is also native. We live on a reservation and he was charged with felon in possession of a firearm, and sooo it was a federal case. He was a "bad" boy when he was younger having committed felonies (B & E s) and burgulary in Wisconsin, with those charges against him and burgulary in Wisconsin is considered a violent crime, he "fell" under the armed career criminal act and was giving the mandatory minimum of 15 years! Crazy, he was basically charged again for his past crimes, which he already served time for! I have to wonder if we were on state land would this have happened, or could he have gotten the 2 years straight up? This was all over an antique gun found in my house and his so called friend got into some trouble so he snitched on my honey and boom, it all began and since he didn't have no one to snitch on or help stop some crime or put anyone else in jail...I was under the impression that you couldn't hang out with other felons and/or participate in criminal activity...blah blah blah, so since he was leading a good clean life, and couldn't provide sufficient information, the prosecutor would not put a motion in to get him out of that armed career criminal act...CRAZY once again, so here we are dealilng with how our lives in our situation...He is now in Ashland KY and I hope that he does meet up with other Natives, I do believe sometimes being Native is hard when you have to put up with to ignorant individuals who don't understand nor respect the ways Native people live and see things...ok, well I know I mostly vented, but we Native People are stong and will always believe that the Creator has something more in store for us when it's our time. Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Banned

Best of luck to both of you. Because of reservations there are lots of natives in fed prisons. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM

sorry to hear what youre going thru. my man is native american and he too hates the way they get treated in there too sometimes. they disrespect their beliefs and he is big on respect. he continues to stay strong and close to the creator and he knows staying on his spiritual path is the only way to get thru these few years he has left. the system is way out and i just dont understand them sometimes but like we said before give it all to the creator and he will take care of his children. best of luck to you both.

free at last, free at last, thank GOD almighty i'm free at last! not him, ME!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Lost without u...

Thank you for your responses and support

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
No more exploitation

I do understand that a society need to make efforts to prevent crime but creating a law that is beyond anything reasonable is not the good way to approach any problem. Be grateful it came under federal jurisdiction as fed pens are often a lot better in many ways than the state and they usually allow more so-called religious rights. Don't like the word religious but...you know.
Have a great day

Last edited by Aya; 03-28-2007 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Lost without u...

I am glad he is federal after doing some research. The inmates are treated a little better and it seems there are more programs offered to them. I hope that he adjusts well and always has the faith in me to stand by his side. I hope everyone has a great day!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Well I understand everything you said because I am Native too. I have a cousin who is still sitting in county lock up in New York state and it has been something else for him being in there. I hope all goes well with him when he goes to a federal camp. Hope your guy does ok too.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:51 AM

Sometimes, I have a hard time believing, that the world will ever accept that we have all been created equal, and that no matter what we call him, or how we honor him the Creator created all of us to love and help each other. And then I remember that that is why I am here, and I have a responsibility to my human family to set an example...if my actions can touch one person, then I have lived my life as Creator intended...and one day all humans will understand...

Our loved ones, living inside, sometimes seem to get the worst of the hatred and fear that permeates the earth....I continue to pray.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
Sometimes, I have a hard time believing, that the world will ever accept that we have all been created equal, and that no matter what we call him, or how we honor him the Creator created all of us to love and help each other. And then I remember that that is why I am here, and I have a responsibility to my human family to set an example...if my actions can touch one person, then I have lived my life as Creator intended...and one day all humans will understand...

Our loved ones, living inside, sometimes seem to get the worst of the hatred and fear that permeates the earth....I continue to pray.
beautiful. we all need to step back and remember this every now and then. thank you.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Anything Is Possible <3

Hello ladies my man is a native american too but I never thought they'll get disrespected unless my man isn't telling me... which I doubt it... sucks though cause out here they are well respected & honored!!