Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Born To Care

Lulu,
Sorry should have stated the pro's and con's of having these items....

Inmates are allowed to have computers in their cells so that they may lock them up for saftey as the prison will not accept liability for damages (though if the damage was intentional the inmate who caused said damage may be charged)

Playstations and other console games that are allowed can be used in the day room and or the inmates cell again the prison is not liable if its damaged.

If inmate A in Unit RB4a has a playstation in his cell and inmate B from unit RB4b wants to borrow the console game Inmate A From unit RB4a may lend it taking the risk of damage upon himself inmate B from RB4b. But at no time may inmate B enter into inmate A's unit to play the console game.
However inmates who share a unit (in my case there were 6 of us) may with permission from another cell mate or unit member who owns one of these games enter into said unit members cell and play the game with the inmate who occupies the cell.

Risk of having these items is that tey are x rayed upon entry and hard drives are searched before an inmate may take possession of a computer. It is obvious that one could conceal prohibited objects or substances in these items there fore they are searched frequently.

Also remember this is a privalege which can be removed at any time for just about any wrong doing even back chatting a guard. which in general means you could get one take possession and tell a guard off and never see it again till the day you are released.

any how thats all for now any more questions just ask

Corry
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2004, 02:49 AM

Thank you Corry for your reply, it is appreciated. I hope you are well and happy.

I hope I didn't offend you with my questions. It's just that as an Aussie citizen very little little is known about life behind bars in this country and we really should have more access to general information.

Yes I also agree that no matter what a person's religion is, the law remains the same. That's what I was trying to say in my post. As you probably know we have a very large Muslim population here and a lot of misunderstanding. Plus we have the world's largest Muslim population just next door in Asia. People here get a little nervous at times, including me. As I said in my first post, no matter what crime is committed, a person's relgion/culture is not an excuse.

Enough of that. I'm glad inmates can have computers if they can afford them and have "earnt" them.

Thanks Corry
Grevillia
Old 03-31-2004, 07:28 AM
Been here forever

Thank you Cory for your reply.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:45 AM

Many thanks for that look into life as an inmate at an Australian prison. It answered a lot of questions I have had.

One question though - What are the correctional officers like in a prison here? The only things I know about prison guards come from Hollywood movies which more often than not portray them as brutal thugs.

Are they really like that or do they tend to be friendly and laid back?

Many thanks for any help with that question.

Regards
Goober
Old 05-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Registered

Hi Goober
I see in your profile you have a friend about to go into prison. Australian prisons arent that bad, and I dont believe that the guards beat up the inmates. They have this new thing going, where they all try and be pals, believe it or not, but I will get some more information for you.
It isnt like Alcatraz, thats how I believed prison would be, and was shocked to find out that they have a huge recreation area, and visits arent that bad either.

Any questions, feel free to ask away, but I believe the guards are laid back, but strict still in a sense.

Welcome to PTO as well, I am glad that you are here. Which prison is your friend going to, and I will try and get as much information as I can.

"It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them and a lifetime to forget them."
Old 05-27-2004, 07:41 AM

Hi Kyla. My apologies for taking so long to reply.

It's a relief that the guards don't sound to bad in Aussie prisons. After going through some of the other threads it sounds as though the prisons in Australia are a tad better than ones elsewhere.

I believe my friend is going to Goulbourn but I'm not 100 percent as I haven't talked to him recently.

Thanks for the welcome

Goober
Old 05-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Registered

Goober
Your friend will be ok. I know someone that has been in Goulburn prison, and though it sounds tough, he said it wasnt half as bad as what he expected. Most prisons here now are high security. The prison my husband was in was high security, and though it seemed mean on the outside, and he hated being there (he hates routine), it wasnt half as bad as I thought he imagined. Prison isnt a good place to be at the best of times. I guess its the getting to know people and trying to fit in, thats the hardest part. Also being confined and told when you can do things, and how to do things is the worst he said (routine)
Perhaps you can add his name into the penpal section, if he is looking for people to write to while his in. It would be great to get a Aussie prison section started, and I am sure the ladies on lost vault would love to add some of our prisoners.

Come here and keep us updated at how his doing.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Hi Corry, was reading your description of prison and there are a few observations that I would like to include. I am assuming that you are doing time in Queensland? Perhaps rez at Borallon or Woodford? Your description does not apply to Sir David Longland CC in Qld or Goulburn High Security Unit in NSW. At SDL CC the atmosphere is always tense with the 'them and us' attitude. It has the highest prisoner mortality rate for unsolved murders and 'unnatural deaths' than any other Oz prison I have been in (see my posting The Killing Fields of Queensland). The High Security Unit at Goulburn is the supermax of NSW - a soul destroying sensory deprived abortion of a jail that was ever created and is followed closely by the MSU's (maximum security units) at R&R and SDL CC in Qld. And of course not to mention good old B Block at SDL CC where screws fostered racial disharmony 1998-2000 that resulted in being the first Oz prison to be racially segregated on the basis of colour - Murris (aboriginal prisoners) in C Block and white prisoners in B Block. A memo was put out that The Bakehouse was a 'whites only' employment area. The racial segregation subsided after tensions eased but the whole situation was precipitated by the screws who had their own agenda for wanting drama in the jail. Then there was the 1997 escape from SDL CC by Brenden Abbott and 4 others including 3 lifers. The collective punishments inflicted by the then Minister fo CS on all remaining prisoners included B Block getting turned into a jail within a jail covered by steel cladding that shut out natural light. I actually saw men turn into institutionalised robots with no incentive left in them. In some cases men never ventured outside the block for years and when they did it was like they were released from prison - perhaps they were to some extent because B Block was another world. In the time I was there I saw five body bags carried out of the block. Five unsolved murders! But the most extraordinary thing about the 1997 escape was the QDCS sanction to restrict any escapee from progressing through the system to residential and work release programs etc. The escapee restriction applied to all and every prisoner and it did not matter when or where the escape occurred. In my case I escaped from a NSW jail in 1970 (nearly 30 years prior to the sanction) and I fell into the restrictive category! Guys who had run away from juvenile insititutions also fell into the category and were punished again years later by QDCS. And then there was this little gem from QDCS a couple of years ago - some imbecile decided that any parolee who had vacated the State did not deserve his/her parole so they immplemented Operation Cashmere which was a joint operation between QDCS and the Qld Police Department and in effect utilised tax-payer money to go to every Australian State and re-arrest on a parole violation and extradite back to Qld to serve out the remainder of their time! In some cases people had vacated Qld 10 and 20 years ago and were living successful criminal free lives in other States until they got the knock on the door. Qld prisons are equal to everything I have heard and read about prisons in the southern states of the US. The Queensland prisoneaucracy have this unique mindset that was epitomised by a parole officer at Borallon who told a prisoner I was trying to help explain that they had made a mistake with his release calculations and he was three weeks overdue for release. After it penetrated the prisoneaucratic PO's mind-fog and he realised he would have to get off his fat ass and expedite the guy's release he came out with this pearl of wisdom "anyway, when you are released you will still be owned by the State until you finish parole". My observations of the prison system may differ from those of yours Corry but my observations are solely confined to max where I spent most of my time. There is a significant distinction between super-max, maximum security, medium security, minimum security, and open security. Where men have been sensory deprived and confined in solitary and isolation like Brenden Abbott has been since 1998 because he embarrassed Qld prison authorities and escaped from the supposedly 'escape-proof' B Block at SDL CC and are compared to less restrictive regimes like residential or open security there is going to be a differing of opinion as to the benfits or otherwise of the conditions in those places. Anyway cheers Corry and hoping you have not much more time to do in there.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Hi again Corry

I missed the second thread Just read that you are out. congrats I do not know much about Maryborough CC but I have some friends living up there and went up there to visit in 2002 and they were talking about the new jail just about to open. I read with interest your observations of Maryborough but I feel, for all their good intentions, once a new prison has been in existence for a while the rot sets in on both sides of the fence. The screws get disillusioned and revert back to form and the crims are always testing the boundaries until it becomes the 'them and us' syndrome once again. I found the only difference was when a prisoner got out of max and adjusted to a lesser restrictive regime ie medium, minimum etc. I remember when SDL CC opened at the end of 1989. They had their first murder in there one month later on Australia Day 1990. And when Woodford opened in 1997 they tried to make it a non-smoking jail which resulted in the riot that nearly burned the place down. As I said in my earlier reply I did most of my time in max in Qld and NSW jails and out of 18 years jail time I have served nearly 16 in max. I guess I have seen a harsher side of prison life and therefore a little more critical of prison authorities and their agendas. I have seen a guy blow up on a visit with his little old mum when she said; "I just met this nice officer who helped with directions son" the 'nice officer' was the head basher inside the Observation Section of Long Bay where the guy had been incarcerated for six months. I guess different people see different personas of prisoners, screws and prisons in general. The trick is to realise those different personas exist and keep an anyltical and logical view of the entire situation. I hope you are right and Maryborough is the new concept of incarceration because Queensland had the highest incarceration in the southern hemisphere from 1999 until about 2003. They need to stop building maximum security jails and concentrate on minimum and medium facilities to facilitate easier re-entry back into the world outside the walls and razor wire. Maybe they will stop throwing fine defaulters and juveniles into adult prisons too. That would decrease the mainstream population. Anyway cheers Corry, glad to hear you are out - the trick is too stay out. cheers.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Hey OZ Ex,
Thanks for posting about the prisons. I will get Corry to reply you, his not totally out. He was being held there on remand, and I ended up getting him out through Supreme Court bail, over 12 months ago. He still has to report to the police station three days a week, and I think he has had over 20 court appearances adjourned to date. His trial is still pending.
I agree with you, I hope he stays out... but those DPPs are cruel and harsh. We can only pray and hope.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Born To Care

oz ex-prisoner, Well I do agree the short stay I had at Maryborough CC was during the teething stage and I am sure it has changed in th 12 months I have been out. The sad thing is that I have yet to have my matters delt with in the District court. So I could be facing more time and deportation. The system in QLD is so flawed and corrupt and sadly I feel that I am going to be sucked into the vacum of being made an example for other american immigrants and tourists who might offend in QLD though I still maintain I am innocent of most of the charges and I am afraid I will suffer the wrath of the QLD judicial system mostly because of my nationality but also because I suffer a mental illness. anyways what can I do I have no recollection of the events of the day I was charged except that I wanted to die and I overdosed and then later that I had been repeatedly spray with capsicum spray on my face and genitals by Hervey Bay Police. Yes QLD is a disturbing place and I would deter any americans or non australians from visiting the state and am spreading the word through e-mails family and friends and any other media that becomes available.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Megan Louise

Default Institutionalised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla
Rose
I dont think prison life is that great at all, but I know of men here, that go for parol, and say they dont want to leave, they get a bed, three meals a day and a job. I know people that have been released as well, and re offend, as they say life in our prison system is better, cause there friends are there and they have no one on the outside. It still isnt a very nice place to be, by stating this, especially those that have jobs, friends and loved ones on the outside.
I just thought of something to. At visits, they put disney movies on for the kids, and have a play area, with a shut gate, that they can play in as well, with books and swings, etc. They were building BBQs to, so people can keep the kids in a family type enviroment, behind those walls.
As I said, not perfect, there is strict rules to follow, but they have thought it through as well.
Depends on the inmate. If you are lving on the streets, prison is by far a much better place to be. If you have no family or friends on the outside, prison buddies are the next best thing. It really depends on how you want to do your jail time. If you want to be a thief and steal from other inmates, if you want to have an attidue to other inmates then dont expect them to be very friendly or supportive back to you.

While in custody I went out of my way to form friendships with other inmates. If anything happened to me I knew they would side with me. If I wanted something it was much better to trade for things than having to beg or do suckhole favours like some inmates do. When you dont have to pay rent, bills, or go to work, can watch videos, television or play video games or pool most of the day, listen to music and read a book without being disturbed, and sometimes have sex, prison can be a very tempting place to stay in if you have no support, money or understanding on the outside.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Account Closed

Hello i have just read through all of this and i dont want to sound rude but i believe you are in Q.L.D and have done the daily routine and etc from a jail there, i must say here in N.S.W it is not the same.
I dont think any 2 jails are the same with there rules, i have been to a few in the past 5 years and i have never experienced the same thing twice, i have never had a visit with my partner like you have explained,lock downs and musters are completely different, no computers here. I hope i havent upseted anyone
Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Megan Louise

Not sure who you are writing to Chezza but yes each CC has it's own muster times. Even though Emu Plains CC and Mulawa CC are run by the DCS, the muster times were different. Lock downs at Emu Plains commenced at 8.30pm while at Mulawa it was 7.30 pm in the main wings and 4.00 pm at Brady. Visit routines were done differently too.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

hi Cheeza
Yep, that is a QLD prison, they would all be different, depending on level of security, state etc. Thats just one experience with one prison. No one is offended Its the questions you dont ask that are the wrong ones

Old 12-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Account Closed

Kyla:
Hi i must say i have heard qld jails are much more advantage than here but i must say getting a computer is a major privlige, it would be here anyway. I just was like 'what' when i read it do they have them in max jails as well.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Registered

That was a high security prison. They dont have computers, they can put a request in to the general manager to get a playstation. The games are limited what they can play, but they can get games as well. The computers are for computer training and education. I think you can also order a laptop in there (just remembered), but no internet access. I am not sure how it is in NSW, this is a high security prison in QLD though.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Megan Louise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla
That was a high security prison. They dont have computers, they can put a request in to the general manager to get a playstation. The games are limited what they can play, but they can get games as well. The computers are for computer training and education. I think you can also order a laptop in there (just remembered), but no internet access. I am not sure how it is in NSW, this is a high security prison in QLD though.
In NSW the only computer access you can get is by doing a computer course for Education. The computers are not linked to the internet. At Emu Plains CC they also have a variety of video games including Playstations.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
survivor

god...how times have changed in the prison system...from a 3x7 smelly cell in 'C' Division Pentridge back in the 60's, with an issue of a 1 inch long candle and a bucket...you already split your match into 4 to last the night with what backy you had....
yep...times have changed....makes a bloke want to break a window...

not really...
take care..p
Old 01-15-2005, 09:03 PM
survivor

Unhappy Goulbourn Prison, the middle 60’s

This was my experience of goulbourn...excerpt from my autobiography.
hope i cut out all the language, apologies for the harshness..but that's how it was..

On a train, a couple of hundred miles from Deniliquin in handcuffs guarded by two heavy coppers, on my way to Goulbourn Prison, NSW, in winter.

we arrived at three in the morning, bloody freezing, and a long way from home, my first view of Goulbourn as I stepped off the train at a very cold three in the morning was the long main street that went through the town and up the hill to this Gothic looking Prison, a monstrosity of fear and degradation, a divvy van [cop car] was waiting for me, a short two minute ride and we were there inside the gates, papers were signed and handcuffs swapped over,

I now belonged to the New South Wales Prison System, I was marched over to some horrible dark building full of hundreds of cells between two ranks of guards that belted me with batons, they were yelling at me, ‘smartarse, tough guy, soon sort you out ****!’

In through locked doors and into a grotty little cell with a dirty thin mattress, two grey Army Blankets that thick with grime and filth that were hard to bend, not forgetting the built in blocked up dunny, I couldn’t use it, I asked for a different cell, Bash!! you don’t ask anything, so I pissed on the floor, Bash!!

mustn’t do that again, they left, and the door was locked,
I lay on the floor, cold, wet, and smelly, here I was, my home, for who knows how long, I was cold, very very cold, I was scared, very scared, I felt miserable, really miserable, I shivered myself off to a some sort of sleep,

I woke, scratching my body from bedbug bites, bells ringing in my ears said it was Six a.m, the door opened and I was told to follow the others, I stood at the cell door and looked about, there were two tiers of cells holding about a hundred or so crims, everyone started moving off so I just followed them out into the grey morning light and the freezing cold, there were flakes of snow coming down, everything was covered in a fine film of white, we filed along into another yard and were locked in with another hundred or so guys, everything had the same shade of grey look about it, the sky, the walls, the crims, their clothing, their skin, it was really sad and depressing, everyone had divided themselves up into little groups of gangs or whatever, hundreds of guys all moving about in grey, I moseyed about and bit a ciggie off a bloke and sat there shivering and smoked it, a couple of guys came over to me and asked me where I was from and in for what, as I looked about I could see bad vibes everywhere, there was a lot of tension in that yard, fights had started, probably from some shit the day before, three or four punch-ups later a bell rang, we were herded back inside, pretty scary, there was a long hotbox and a couple of guys dishing this grey matter that moved, and sort of resembled porridge,

Grey Death...appropriately named, and to force it down was a bread bun that shattered if you dropped it, I didn’t get any what was supposed to be tea, looked like black brown stagnant water, so I shivered off back to my cell with this glue stuff that hung when you turned the bowl upside down, the door was slammed shut and locked, I sat on the floor and checked out breakfast, I had no spoon so I ate with fingers, it tasted worse than it looked, cold, lumpy and tasted like shit, half an hour later more bells, door’s opened, guys marching out, I’d been given a number like in the Pen, this time it was three twenty seven, I waited at the door and when my number got called, I followed some other guys with their own clothes on, we were herded down through the prison near the wall to what you could only call second rate dog cages, something you’d see in a lost dogs home, but not as clean, It must have been below freezing, my feet and fingers and back already hurt from the cold, I had no warm clothes, half brick and mesh wire, fifteen by seven by nearly, and I mean nearly, six feet high, you had to bend a bit all the time you were in there, I was put in a yard with four others that were on remand like myself, other cages were guys on trial, remand, sentenced, awaiting classification on their future,
I spent nearly three months in those rotten filthy cages with guys that would rob, root, or bash you for a ciggie butt, I watched my back every second, three months of freezing weather, even when it was snowing heavy, I sat, I stood, I walked, I crouched, and huddled in the yard and counted bricks, eventually, I scored a prison coat to wear, until two guys bashed me and took it, the days consisted of bells, bells to wake up, to work, to lunch, to go in, to go out, to shower, to shit, to lockup, you became a zombie, you lost all your human senses, if you were spoken to it was by number, you lost your individuality, just a number amongst other numbers, hours turned to days,
Time passed slowly by me, 8 months had dragged by...

And then my time had come to front Court, so back in handcuffs, the divvy van, two detectives, and on the train to Deniliquin, I really thought I’d walk out of this, I prepared a bullshit plea to the Judge, It was a bit of a suck plea, but I was on the verge of freedom, and Insanity, one of the two detective turned up from our first little chat, he showed me some papers of Authority to show that I could be free right this instant, or I could go to court and get two years minimum, ha! can’t scare me,

All I had to do was sign on the dotted line and he’d take me back to melb, free, but working for them, I still said no,
I was so sure I was going on the afternoon train to Sydney, Court time came, I was about third up, I felt nervous, but lucky, it was a beautiful day outside, I was thinking of a beer or three, and then it all crashed,
The Prosecutor told the court that from information received in conjunction with the Victorian and Sydney Police, I had been running cars over the border for months, and this time I was caught due to the diligence and hard work from certain police from both states.....bumma..

Two ******* years, ****** hell!!! and no backdate...
I nearly collapsed in the dock, as I was taken out, the cop smiled, “see ya in a couple of years,” mongrel bastard, After holding me in the lockup for a week or so,

I was taken back to Goulbourn, spent more weeks in the cages until I was called out to be classified, they put me in the fuel yard, I thought that might be a warm job, it wasn’t, I started at seven in the morning, wearing heavy, not warm, prison clothing that didn’t fit me, it was still hovering below the zero mark with a heavy mist of sleet and snowfall,
My so-called warm job was holding a five pound steel wedge on this log while some other prick hit it with a fourteen pound hammer, we then proceeded to fill in the day, sawing, splitting and chopping up trees into small bits of firewood for the kitchen boilers, by the end of the first day my hands were blistered, bleeding and covered in frostbite, I had no choice but to settle in and do my bit to move on to a better job, you can’t win in the system, it doesn’t work, I found that for those that do try to buck it are still on the fuel yard six months later. my job lasted just over a month or two...every new guy starts on the fuel yard and works their way up to a better job...

So I was moved to an inside job...folding lottery tickets and putting them and some other shit in envelopes...a real promising future there that’s for sure..I stuck it for a month or so and put my name down for other jobs about the place, I got myself a job as a Sweeper, I settled into this pretty quick, my inexperienced position of noble standing suited me right down to the ground...I had to keep a section of the Prison around the insides of the outside wall hosed, swept and tidy, there were four or five guard towers along my section of the wall and my patch was along the front of the cages to the corner of the jail...at the end of the cages was a little room for brooms buckets and shit...but to me it was my little world of privacy...a place I could go and be me...I cruised along with the job...

The weather was getting a bit better, and I felt okay...I had little bits of business with the guys in the cages..I’d run messages and such for them..and a couple of the tower screws had some human blood in them...

I'd bring them a billy of coffee, I could get the boiling water and a couple of the screws brought in coffee and sugar...once a week they’d bring me a pack of tobacco or ciggies and a couple of times a day they’d let down a bit of string..I’d tie the billy to it and they’d haul it up, when it came back down my little payments were in it...simple.....I passed on the backy to the guys in the cages that had none,
I was earning points and getting days off my sentence, every morning the Governor and others would do their rounds and come along for inspection, he’d nod at me, good...carry on. I had nearly a year to go, you sort of get Institutionalised to a degree that you just cruise along living by the bells, not too caring about the outside world, you see a movie once a fortnight, see someone get shivved for some reason or other, make friends, make enemies, their easy to make...and when you have enemies inside the prison system...there’s nowhere to go....hear me...no-where to go..you fight, or you kill,
I never had visits, better not too, it slows down time, and time is what you have too much of, too much time to think of loved ones, wives and girlfriends, too much time to think who’s backdooring you, {rootin your woman behind your back} too much time to talk to the wrong people in these places and learn all the things and ways of life there are within the underground of criminals,

And then you have bad days. This day came when one of the screws on the towers said he wasn’t going to pay up no more, he still wanted his billy of tea, but under threat of exposure, Trafficking they call it...a pretty serious offence...I put a note in a billy and let the other screws know and they said they’d have a chat with him over the pub after work, evidently he wasn’t too well liked, and he was just being a mongrel, the next day he was off sick.

I guess they had a chat with him...The next day was payday, he was back on the post, I sent up some billy’s, down came my ciggies, tobacco, little bottles of brandy, gin, and just as I tied on his billy, I felt a presence, I turned and my heart stopped, five Security guards were standing there in all their Gestapo black uniform glory. I was made to strip on the spot, everything came out on the ground, my little room was raided and more stuff was found behind my hidy bricks, I was ****** well and truly.
This was serious shit..and I was in it...I was charged with Trafficking, The tower screws in the deal were fired on the spot virtually...I fronted a Prison court...lost all my remission I had earned since day one...and into the hole...a black painted cell with no light let in whatsoever...I went insane...the screw that lagged on me had come to my door of a night and laughed at me....porridge came twice a day with the odd bread roll of faeces, special gift from him..

On the seventh day, I was out, back on the fuel yard, back at square one...f**k it..was I pissed off...for the next couple of weeks I worked hard at a little scheme that would get me out of here..I’d made up some passes that was good enough to get me through a couple of gates and into the yard where my little room was....from this spot the guards couldn’t see me when they changed their shift....if they weren’t looking my way....I’d waited for the right time..it was pissing down and windy...the screws were rugged up from the wind...and I was off...through the two gates and down around the wall, I’d grabbed a mop and bucket so it would look I was going around to the yards to mop up, everything was a dull dirty grey shade, I made it to my old shed and ducked in to get myself together, this was it...if I made it I’d go to Sydney and get into some business somewhere....I was up on my little shed and across the metal strut that ran the phone lines to the towers...I pulled myself across and up to the wall which was about thirty or so feet high...I had a bundle of wiring that I’d put together to tie onto the strut and let myself down the other side...simple...I needed fifteen more seconds to make it over and tie on and drop...it was a long way down...some of the guys in the cages saw me but said nothing....I made it to the top...tied on the wire..one leg either side of the wall, then I heard a voice...”hey you...stop or I’ll fire” I looked around, one of those bad moments in time...happened, one of the screws on the tower had turned and looked my way, so now I had a choice...keep going and maybe get shot, or maybe get away, within seconds a siren went off and there were screws every where, down below me, outside the wall, the coppers came in droves....guns out ready to spoil my day....all the guys in the cages were now egging me on...go man..go...f*** em all man...bullshit!,
I must have looked pretty stupid perched up on the wall, the wind was blowing a gale...the rain soaked me...then half a dozen or more security guys came along with the governor, it was quite a party, all of us in our little drama frozen in time....soaking wet and f******g cold, they were all quoting rules and regulations at me...telling me shit, If I came back down on the inside..I’d be charged with attempted escape, packed up and sent to Sydney, Long Bay Gaol,
If I went down the outside I’d be charged with escape and sentenced to anything up to twelve months, I came back down the inside, taken away and locked in the Black Hole for another week along with a bashing, days passed, I fronted a Prison Court, three months extra, I felt really pissed off,

I kicked shit out of the cell door for hours into the night, then at about five one morning the door opened, I was ripped out and taken to the front gate and put in a prison van, no wash, no brekky,

Hundreds of miles and many pickups along the way later, a full Van arrives at H.M.Prison long Bay Sydney, the main Prison of New south Wales, this is where I was going to finish off my time, which I roughly worked out to be about a year, so as I was still under twenty one I was put into the boys yard, Block A,

Terrifying, I was classified pretty quick and scored a job in the kitchen, one of the best jobs in the place...usually when your shanghaied, transferred without notice, you get put on the worst jobs until you work your way up again,

I was later to find out that most of the screws from Goulbourn were pretty shitty on the screw that put me in and cost the job of two others..phone calls were made, evidently they felt a bit sorry for me, I guess they have to do their time as well, so I stuck with the job and settled down to life in that hole of a palace, I saw a lot of shit go down in there, things that you really didn’t see, you just try to mind your own business,

And things i didn't want to see.....I was having a shower one day in a communal shower block..there was about twenty of us in there at the time...a couple of screws were on watch at the door...and then the next second they had gone from the room, you can imagine the noise of twenty guys showering, all yelling out to each other..laughing talking...doing a bit a business..but when these two screws walked out..apart from the sound of water, everything went dead quiet, a scary quiet, next I heard grunting and groans, I had a peek out and down to where the sound came from....this guy that was known as a bit of a gangster had evidently lagged on someone....he was getting shivved, Stabbed, to death with a large pair of laundry scissors....two or three guys were giving it to him.....one of the guys saw my head pop out and pointed for me to get back in...I did, then I looked down..the gutter that carries the shower water out was running red with thick congealing blood...a lot of it...I stood there and looked, but no-one saw anything, no-one heard anything, everyone knew nothing...that’s the way it goes,
Another time, I was talking to this guy up on a top tier, a couple of other guys came along...as there’s not a great deal of room I moved back into a cell doorway for a second as they passed...when I turned the guy that I was chatting to had gone, I thought he must have followed them..I looked..no-where to be seen...the next instant there was a sound of a hard slap....I looked over the rail and down and there he was splattered on the floor....his scull opened like a watermelon, very dead, they’d tipped the guy over the railing, it was at least a thirty foot drop, other times you’d see a couple of guys run into someone’s cell and and a second later run out again, covered in blood, not theirs....now the strange thing about Prison life is that you meet these guys..and have a sort of a nodding relationship,

I played poker with a guy called Stephen Bradley, the Graeme Thorn Kidnapper, we got on pretty well, he was in charge of the Library so we’d sit around and play cards and chat, he got around to his case, how the whole thing had gone wrong and the little boy had suffocated accidently, not too many people liked him, evidently he had a stroke or something.....
so they say....
I think the autopsy may have showed meat skewer wounds, It’s very hard to describe the amount of tension and stress inside these places....
I met many a tough guy...murderers..rapists...arm rob guys, one old bloke I was friendly with had been there for twenty odd years for hacking off his wife’s head and carrying it around in a bag, another had cut up a prostitute from her fanny to her neck..all because she laughed at him being too drunk to get it up, but underneath this violent shell, some were nice guys, a lot of these blokes have books written about them today,
mainly as their dead,
these guys look tough and dangerous...but most of them are just like any one else...it’s just the surrounding influences I think, that can change us....If you get them at the right moment..there not that tough...with families and kids, there were some that were just complete mongrels...not really fit to be a human being, everyone seemed to be a certain breed in there...or maybe you become that certain breed, the saying goes that if you lie down with dogs your bound to get fleas....very true.
Time dragged slowly by...a lot happened....I’d rather forget...

somehow, some of my remission that I thought I’d lost at Goulbourn was still on my file, which was great...so I found that I had a lot less to do than first thought of....maybe some paper work had been altered, maybe, a lot of inmates work in offices in the prison system, clerical duties and such....and if you have cash or connections anything can be done.

I survived Long Bay with my body intact and my sanity and my arse in repairable pieces.

hope this was ok to post.....p

Last edited by 729; 01-15-2005 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Just discover this thread. Thanks Cory for sharing this information. Must be hard sharing a computer with Kyla ( I appreciate very much her work and many of her posts)
Old 01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Megan Louise

Don't ya hate it when you're about to finish editing, the entire screen goes a blank blue. Story lost. Anyway the saying "if you lie down with dogs your bound to get fleas" is true maybe some of the time. I know prison changed me as a person. I had a lot of contempt for prisoners but they did change my mind or perhaps I changed my own mind. I saw how badly prison officers treated people, how police treat you like your guilty before being proven innocence. My views on the Police have changed. Police are very arrogant. I dont believe police are honest. There are many people in the system that dont deserve to be behind bars. I never really felt unsafe in prison. The only time I felt a lot of fear was in the police cells more than anywhere else. The police cells in Newtown would have to be the most philthiest places I have ever had the misfortune of being in. The police there are *****. Something should be done about the holding cells at Central Local Court too.

Last edited by Kyla; 01-18-2005 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Language taken out.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Registered

726 Thanks for sharing your story. How long ago were you in Goulbourn prison? It sounds like the old convict days, how awful for you. Things have certainly changed since then (thank goodness). Thanks for sharing!!

Old 06-14-2005, 05:44 AM
we will succeed

This was very interesting to read. My boyfriend is in Alice Springs jail and doesn't like talking about it at all - not that he is really meant to.
I do know however there is no heating or airconditioning and with the temperature reaching 40 + last summer my bf got quite ill, but no one wanted to know. I did ring the health dept but it seems the jail is not covered by anyone?? In winter it is the opposite - temp down to 0 - and he is always freezing.

Our visits are only 1 hour in mainstream and in minimum. Thankfully 2 - 3 years ago they got the phone system up and running, I love my 10 min phone call each night.

I often wonder what it is like in there.
Do the staff treat you like you are nothing? Are you ever treated like a human being?
Sue
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Account Closed

I realise this is an old thread but I wanted to have my say about the
system at Cessnock Correctional Centre in NSW where my brother is
currently being held.
In the maximum section the prisoners are given breakfast and then let
out of their cells at 8:30 Am. They are then free to roam around their
allocated area until 11:30, which they are then sent back to their
cells and given lunch and locked in until 12:30. At 12:30 they are once
again let out to roam around and do whatever they choose until 3:30
when they are served dinner, which is also when they are locked in
their cells for the rest of the night until their morning let out time.
They are allowed to make 6 minute phone calls during the day when they
are out roaming around the allocated area, providing they have enough
funds in their personal account to make the call. The prisioner is
allowed to recieve up to $100 a week from their loved ones which is put
into their prison account to buy whatever buy ups they wants and also
for their phone account.
Of a Saturday and Sunday they are allowed up to 4 adult visitors in one
session to see them. When they have visitors they have to change into a
pair of white overalls which are fastened at the neck and sealed so
they can't undo them.The visits go for one hour and they are only
allowed that one visit a day. Of a week day their meals consist of
normal foods and of a weekend they aren't locked in for lunch and their
meals consist of things like pies and sausage rolls.
Their bedding consists of a thin foam mattress, 2 sheets and 2 blankets
which are like the blankets you get in the hospital, And if you're
lucky you might be able to get yourself a pillow (it took my brother
from the 28th of July until a week ago to find himself a pillow)
When visitors arrive at the jail, they have to go to the visitors
reception area and fill out a form, There's only one form to be filled
out per set of visitors seeing that one person. On the form it just
says things like your name, address, relationship to the inmate and
your D.O.B.
After filling out the form you then hand it over at the counter with
your identification, which has a sticker with a number on the back of
it which you are given the first time you go there to visit an inmate.
You're then handed a key to a locker to put your personal things in and
then it's a matter of waiting for your name to be called. Visitors are
allowed to take a max. of $10 in change into the visiting area to
purchase cold drinks out of a machine.
Once in the visiting room there's different little knee high tables
everywhere bolted to the ground with stools (also bolted to the ground)
around them. One of the seats has INMATE marked on it, So obviously the
inmate must sit in it.
After the 1 hour a warden calls up "Finish up please" And then waits
for us all to leave. During the visiting time you're allowed full
contact with the inmates, So you can hug and kiss them and so on, or
whatever you choose.
So yeah, Sorry if I seem like I've been rambling, But I thought I would
add my bit as to what I've learnt so far, And if I remember anymore I
will add it at a later time.

One last thing, there's no air conditioning or heating there.

Last edited by Lauren1984; 09-21-2005 at 07:46 AM..