Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Ohio should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Default What does it mean to be in a Halfway house in Ohio

Can everyone explain to me what means to be in a halfway house? Is he still in the System then? IN the prison System?
Can he go out when ever he wants? Is he allowed to have a cell phone? What is with Weekend can he get visits or can he visit People in the outside, at the neighborhood, Family? who ever? I mean can the Family be in other Ohio places and visit them, has he be back on Weekend or is he allowed to stay at his Family?
What can he do if he dont have a Job? Or is he just getting halfway with a Job offer? If they dont have a Job, what will they do out?
Howis it with jpays? I mean in prison they use to write emails via jpay, is that still in the halfway house like that or are they writing emails via Internet. Dont be too harsh on me, for all the questions. SORRY
I just try to figure out how all the halfway house stuff is working. I would be happy if someone could help me and explain this more to me. THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 08:36 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,839 Times in 16,505 Posts

I can answer some of your questions, but some of them are going to be facility specific.

Yes, they are still "DOC" while in the halfway house. If they violate, they can be sent back to prison.

There will be structure and and curfews; hopefully there will be classes/programs and employment. They cannot exactly come & go as they please (as far as I know).

I could be wrong, but I don't believe halfway houses have jpay.

He may or may not be allowed a cell phone, it will depend on the facilities rules.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Richard's WVGURL

The halfway house my boyfriend is at only allows a certain phone through US Cellular. No camera and no internet. They get passes and some freedom but not a Lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wvgurl68 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:42 AM

thank you for your answers...well it means that every halfway house has their own rules so we have to wait.....thanks for your answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to SunflowerOh81 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-07-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 AM

the ODRC website should have halfway house information, one popular one is the alvis house.
The Following User Says Thank You to scoopster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 AM

halfway houses receive money from the ODRC to operate per year, and are under AR's by the ODRC also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoopster For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM

thank you.... it really helped
Old 10-29-2017, 07:14 PM

I just want to know about half way houses in OH are they ok, heard a lot of half way houses losing their budgets and contracts are expiring
Old 10-30-2017, 05:28 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanneed3 View Post
I just want to know about half way houses in OH are they ok, heard a lot of half way houses losing their budgets and contracts are expiring
The halfway houses that aren't having their contracts renewed and are closing are Federal halfway houses, not state. State and Federal are 2 different things and have different halfway houses. The Federal closures do not affect Ohio state halfway houses.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
The halfway houses that aren't having their contracts renewed and are closing are Federal halfway houses, not state. State and Federal are 2 different things and have different halfway houses. The Federal closures do not affect Ohio state halfway houses.
Thank you for this info, i'm currently in a federal half way house and waiting to be transferred to OH. i had my home plan approved just wondering when i can leave. I dont like calling Regions they are not very nice.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 AM

But what about federal half way houses in OH. I never knew state to have half way houses.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:14 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Yes, most, if not all State Departments of Corrections have DOC halfway houses in their respective states.

You have already posted in the Federal forum asking about Federal halfway houses. Please check there (Federal forum) for replies

patchouli, PTO Admin