Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Need to bring obituary to visit

My grandfather died and I want to tell my husband in person. I was planning to visit and bring the obituary and what was read at the funeral with me but I know normally only pictures are allowed to be brought into a visit (Clinton Main.) Does anyone know the procedure and how to go about it quickly? This is only his relation by marriage, but he still has the right to know in person and not on the phone or in a letter.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,839 Times in 11,078 Posts

As far as I know (but I don't know all the prisons and their regulations) you can't bring anything in with you. You can leave it to be given to him later, perhaps, but not bring it to him in your hand.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM

I would call & ask because here in cali we can bring in anything they'd allow you to mail him.. i know it's a different state but maybe the specific prison has their own rules about it? definitely wouldn't hurt to call & ask..
Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 PM

As far as I know, nothing can be brought into the visit with you in person (Clinton Main and pics being the only exception that I know of). Pics usually can be given to them via the package room...they have to pic them up after the visit. Anything like a newspaper article/clipping has to go through the mail. I couldn't even send legal mail into my guy via the package room. I was told that it had to come via US Mail to him. Anytime I've had to give my hubby news about a death, I've always spoken to him in person about it first, and then sent the obituary via the mail afterwards for those that he wanted to see immediately. The others I have clipped and put away so that he'll have them when he gets home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dez For This Useful Post:
Lithiumgore (01-09-2017), nimuay (01-09-2017)