Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Default Crist signs bill to send prisoners out of state

fyi...just ran across this little blurb - turns out good ol' charlie has just signed a bill that will allow our inmates to be sent to out of state prisons.
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI123125/

the bottome line? $$$$ it's all he cares about, the $upport he'll get from wackenhut, the coral gables based security company now operates 11 facilities in five states housing nearly 5,500 prisoners. they also maintain two medium security prisons in Australia and boast of "prospects for additional facilities in the U.S., South America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim.''
see? for charlie crist it's all about money, and who's going to fund his campaign.
this man is evil and needs to go far away, he cares about NO ONE!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to merrysunshine For This Useful Post:
Anna Sanborn (06-11-2009), hemakesmesmile (06-11-2009), KaydensMommy756 (06-11-2009), ricoswifey (06-11-2009), TN girl (06-13-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM

How will they determine who goes out of state? I am so stupid when it comes to this stuff. I really don't understand the legal system!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Will Wait 4evr
Donation Award 

I too wonder what the criteria is to be shipped out of state. And how did this get to be a law? I certainly don't remember casting a ballot for this and I most certainly look at all questions asked on my ballot poll especially anything regarding prisons/inmates/DOC! Did we not get a voice regarding this?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 PM

OMG! SERIOUSLY!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Always and Forever

This is absolutely absurd. Time and time again, there have been studies that support the fact that inmates are less likely to re-offend if they are able to maintain their family relationships while incarcerated.
If they are shipped out of state, they will have a very difficult time keeping in contact and having visitation. As if it isn't already hard enough!
And not only that, what about the children of these inmates? Who is thinking about their best interest. The children will be affected even moreso.
What a bunch of fools to decide such a thing!
: angry:
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 AM

This is bs!! I was reading this the other day & was like omg is this real....I am not even going to go there on Crist cuz it won't be nice lol...And if wackenhut is running the prisons, that's going to be hell, because wackenhut is the security at my job & i've heard stories from some of the guys how that company is just messed up all around. They "say" that if moving an inmate to another state, they take ino consideration where the inmates family is at & how they will mainly move immigrants but we all know what they say & do is two different things. Another thing is that alot of inmates that are considered "immigrants" do have family here...it's all about money for them.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

I know none of this makes anyone happy; heck out whole situation is the pits anyway you look at it. I will tell you that my husband was caught up in a transfer disaster that we are still trying to get out of and get him back to where he put in his Good Adjustment transfer to, BUT when DOC moved him they did tell me they looked at who was getting visits and kept those guys within a certain distance. Knowing who some of the guys were that moved and were they ended up, I can't say they weren't telling the truth.

Try to be a little optimistic and not let DOC ruin your day.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM

that is true they do take into consideration where their family is, my guy's CO asked him where he wanted to be transferred and asked him if it was closer to his family and if he had children, so theyre not all bad, its just the ones that are bad giving all of them a bad rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
I know none of this makes anyone happy; heck out whole situation is the pits anyway you look at it. I will tell you that my husband was caught up in a transfer disaster that we are still trying to get out of and get him back to where he put in his Good Adjustment transfer to, BUT when DOC moved him they did tell me they looked at who was getting visits and kept those guys within a certain distance. Knowing who some of the guys were that moved and were they ended up, I can't say they weren't telling the truth.

Try to be a little optimistic and not let DOC ruin your day.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM

This is horrible it is bad enough most of us have too travel 4-6 hours to see our loved one in other counties and now to travel out of state WTH is going on. We need to get togther and put a stop to this. I live in Miami, my brother n law is in Hamilton CI and my husband was in FSP but just one his appeal so he is back in Miami DADE county waiting to be resentenced and my fears is for the FLDOC to send him far far away. Why cant they just keep everyone in thier region. Makes sense!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPulga View Post
Why cant they just keep everyone in thier region. Makes sense!!!!
anything that makes sense doesn't work for the gov't.
and especially where inmates are concerned, it seems they get some sick pleasure out of adding more pain to everyone involved.
this has me so angry i cannot begin to say. and if you read, the doc is against it. this is ALL charlie crist. i'm telling you, it's all about the money he is going to get in campaign contributions. what a horrible man.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM

That is just ridiculous!! We need Crist out of office now! I don't understand why the public gets no say in this. Once again Crist shows that he has no interest in rehabilitation just money. Florida's "justice" system makes me ill!!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Update on moving prisoners

I just read this article and Crist hasn't signed on that law yet. He could, but they say it is not likely. Hope this eases everyone's mind a little <3

http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/1090924.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnspivey For This Useful Post:
natalie1 (06-13-2009)
Old 06-14-2009, 10:45 AM

[quote=cnspivey;4730675]I just read this article and Crist hasn't signed on that law yet. He could, but they say it is not likely. Hope this eases everyone's mind a little <3

i couldn't access your article, these are excerpts from another article in The Miam herald dated 6/7/09 titled:
Florida Legislature gives OK to ship inmates out of state:
A prison bill (SB 1722) effective July 1 allows the state to ship inmates to state-run or private prisons in other states.
Exporting inmates may never come to pass because Florida's inmate population has stabilized in recent months and has fallen below earlier projections. In fact, a new, 3,300-bed prison in rural Suwannee County is built but not yet fully open.

The prison population was at about 101,000 this week and the bed capacity is about 106,000. The population fluctuates daily and is constantly affected by the need to move prisoners who have special needs or for disciplinary reasons.

The new law requires the Department of Corrections to take into account the proximity of an inmate's family before relocating the inmate.

One possible category of exported prisoners is illegal immigrants. As of June 2008, Florida prisons held 5,523 inmates who were undocumented immigrants.
The law is there, which means that they WILL eventually transfer prisoners out of state.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 AM

btw, if you go to:
www.flsenate.gov

and search bill # 1722 /session 2009 you can see the history

signed and approved by governor crist 5/27/09, effective date July 1.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPulga View Post
Why cant they just keep everyone in thier region. Makes sense!!!!
Because South Florida and Central Florida are more populated than North Florida and there are more prisons in the panhandle. There just isn't enough room to accommodate the inmates in that area for as many as there are that come out of those regions because of the population. Maybe at one time they were able to do that, but not now.

He's home!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Because South Florida and Central Florida are more populated than North Florida and there are more prisons in the panhandle. There just isn't enough room to accommodate the inmates in that area for as many as there are that come out of those regions because of the population. Maybe at one time they were able to do that, but not now.
That's true...don't like it but it's true...I'm in Miami & my husband is in the panhandle, I complain but I guess it could be worse, at least he is still in FL...Now if they moved inmates into other states that the inmate had family there, maybe..but unfortunately I doubt the inmates will have any say in that..it's probably going to be more like a pack your ** and leave thing. And it's crazy how DOC still doesn't want to admit they are overcrowded, yet if they are going to these measures obviously it is.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysunshine View Post
btw, if you go to:
www.flsenate.gov

and search bill # 1722 /session 2009 you can see the history

signed and approved by governor crist 5/27/09, effective date July 1.
What that seems like to me is they're talking about non violent offenders being sentenced to community programs in counties instead of state prisons. I could be reading it wrong though.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 PM

From what my man told me this bill is only going to take a toll on inmates that are from other states and immigrants. But that is just being rumored as well I guess know one will know anything until it all actually happens.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bozeman View Post
From what my man told me this bill is only going to take a toll on inmates that are from other states and immigrants. But that is just being rumored as well I guess know one will know anything until it all actually happens.
That's the impression i'm under too, that if it has/had/will happen that it's supposed to only affect what you mentioned, that they are supposed to take those things into consideration. Unfortunately with DOC, "supposed" to is a big IF...guess we'll just have to wait & see. I am thankful this is almost over for us, these past 3 yrs have been sooo difficult and just like DOC to go & make things even harder.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Donation Award 

this might benefit me if it even goes into effect while he is in there. the rest of his family is in new york and if they could send him there I would actually be able to see him. and they have congijucal (?) visits there. He has already done time there before so he knows how those prisons work. Actually he said he'd much rather be serving his time there than here.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
*Missing My Love Doodles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiespaz View Post
this might benefit me if it even goes into effect while he is in there. the rest of his family is in new york and if they could send him there I would actually be able to see him. and they have congijucal (?) visits there. He has already done time there before so he knows how those prisons work. Actually he said he'd much rather be serving his time there than here.
I forgot about the potential to be moved to a state w/conjugal visits.. I guess there's an upside and silver lining to everything hehe

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility"
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemakesmesmile View Post
I forgot about the potential to be moved to a state w/conjugal visits.. I guess there's an upside and silver lining to everything hehe
hehe welll if he could go to a state with that thennn lol now we are talking...BUT knowing FLDOC lol maybe they'd still make them go by FL rules...but seriously if he could get moved to a state with that, i think i'd say gladly take him!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Yes, they would still fall under DOC rules and guidelines.

He's home!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, they would still fall under DOC rules and guidelines.
figures..that's what i thought...lol wishful thinking
Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysunshine View Post
fyi...just ran across this little blurb - turns out good ol' charlie has just signed a bill that will allow our inmates to be sent to out of state prisons.
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI123125/

the bottome line? $$$$ it's all he cares about, the $upport he'll get from wackenhut, the coral gables based security company now operates 11 facilities in five states housing nearly 5,500 prisoners. they also maintain two medium security prisons in Australia and boast of "prospects for additional facilities in the U.S., South America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim.''
see? for charlie crist it's all about money, and who's going to fund his campaign.
this man is evil and needs to go far away, he cares about NO ONE!!!
I moved to Fl to be near my son, Holmes is not all that bad. This article makes my heart sink.