Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

Everyone is welcome to post on PTO as long as they post respectfully toward other members and follow PTO policies. We welcome family members of the incarcerated, former prisoners, DOC workers, etc.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!

Last edited by ben's girl; 04-03-2010 at 08:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
wifeofMichael (04-04-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Dawn loves Michael always

Thanks for the reminder ben's girl! I know sometimes the DOC seems like the enemy to many of us. They are not. Most are simply doing their jobs. I am sure there is a lot those of us who do not work in corrections don't understand. I also know first hand there are bad COs and good COs. I think it would behoove us all to remember that we are all people. I sometimes feel myself slip into that "us against them" mentality and have to give myself a firm shake. If we want to change the way things work we have to change the way we think and address others who are working in the facilities. And we can never forget that if it was not for the bad choice of our loved one then we wouldn't be in this predicament at all. My husband committed a crime. While the rules have changed between the time he was charged and the time he was sentenced (under the new guidelines he would not have gone to prison) the fact is he messed up. So he has to go visit the world of prison. Now, we don't have to like what we see and we don't have to be silent. But I think it would do those of us who feel ourselves tensing every time we see a man or woman in brown to stop and remember they are people too. Take a step outside of our comfort zone and wonder what it is they go through each and every day. Because they don't have an easy job. Do I think they need more training, especially in psychology and cognitive thinking? You betcha.

This was a tragedy. Obviously mistakes were made. But let's not jump to conclusions and make wild claims. From what has been said in this case another inmate jumped on this man without any cause or provocation. Unfortunately, he was apparently given a window of opportunity because of a bad choice made on the part of the instructor. Let's not compound the family's grief with wild speculation.

Ballard, your family continues to be in my thoughts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
BenisMom (08-25-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 06:39 AM

Hi, I am new here,have a fiance in a florida prison.Was just browsing ,reading some of the postings and came across this one.My heart and prayers go out to the family of the victim.Such a senseless crime!....I'm trying to understand how something like this can happen but I guess i'm truley naive....I understand they have the person who committed the crime,but aren't there cameras pretty much everywhere in the prisons so the CO's can see what is taking place?...
The Following User Says Thank You to tere226 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2010, 03:30 PM

wifeof: once again, you have managed to speak softly and make good sense.

tera, there are many many places in the prisons that are not covered by the cams.

The proscutor has said he wants 2ed degree with a life sentence because he is concerned he might not get a guilty vertict on 1st degree. Im not exactly sure, but he said Florida Juries do not like to give guilty on 1st degree murder charges.

Now dont rip my head off, Im just thinking....I figure the Ridges guy has family. We do not know anything other than Ridges is in Florida State Prison. At this point he has not even been found guilty. Is there an insanity issue? Was he on the wrong medication? Was he even on medication? Was owing money a rumor or was it true? How could this story have followed him from prison to prison? Has he ever been moved out of his Region? We do not put mentally ill people to death in this country.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin263 View Post
The proscutor has said he wants 2ed degree with a life sentence because he is concerned he might not get a guilty vertict on 1st degree. Im not exactly sure, but he said Florida Juries do not like to give guilty on 1st degree murder charges.
send the trial down to Lee County, they convict with 1st degree murder.. and sometimes without conclusive evidence I have seen it happen.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Thanks for the reminder ben's girl! I know sometimes the DOC seems like the enemy to many of us. They are not. Most are simply doing their jobs. I am sure there is a lot those of us who do not work in corrections don't understand. I also know first hand there are bad COs and good COs. I think it would behoove us all to remember that we are all people. I sometimes feel myself slip into that "us against them" mentality and have to give myself a firm shake. If we want to change the way things work we have to change the way we think and address others who are working in the facilities. And we can never forget that if it was not for the bad choice of our loved one then we wouldn't be in this predicament at all. My husband committed a crime. While the rules have changed between the time he was charged and the time he was sentenced (under the new guidelines he would not have gone to prison) the fact is he messed up. So he has to go visit the world of prison. Now, we don't have to like what we see and we don't have to be silent. But I think it would do those of us who feel ourselves tensing every time we see a man or woman in brown to stop and remember they are people too. Take a step outside of our comfort zone and wonder what it is they go through each and every day. Because they don't have an easy job. Do I think they need more training, especially in psychology and cognitive thinking? You betcha.

This was a tragedy. Obviously mistakes were made. But let's not jump to conclusions and make wild claims. From what has been said in this case another inmate jumped on this man without any cause or provocation. Unfortunately, he was apparently given a window of opportunity because of a bad choice made on the part of the instructor. Let's not compound the family's grief with wild speculation.

Ballard, your family continues to be in my thoughts.
its not that. i just didn't understand how you could say this ain't hollywood. i thought that was disrespectful
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyjuan View Post
its not that. i just didn't understand how you could say this ain't hollywood. i thought that was disrespectful
i also know you do the crime you do the time. and at this time this is the best place for my husband. he need to be there this is and will make him a better man. this world consist of good and evil all through it even in church. im just saying prisoners need respect to. my husband have to spend 18hours a day in his sail. yes that is punoshment, there aint no go to the court yard. that is cool with me.
aybe next time he will think before he act and know that GOD is the only provider. yet GOD is the judge of my man not the gaurds or no one else. they still are human and still deserve respect.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM

my husband dont stay at this facility so i dont know what goes on there, but from listening to those who do have someone there this place does need to be checked out.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyjuan View Post
I just reread my postings and I can't find where I stated this at all as to look at the context.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 AM

Ok, found it. Mhenry actually stated : "This isn't Hollywood; the Warden isn't always the villain." Not me. But I can't say I disagree with her. I don't find her use disrespectful at all. Too often people use Hollywood as a frame of reference even if they don't realize it. *shrug*

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
BGsWIFEY (04-10-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 01:04 PM

I found the Hollywood statement. It came from MHenery10

You say you want the truth, be prepared for the world to tell you that. This isn't Hollywood; the Warden isn't always the villain.