Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Post Rumor about 65% of sentence ☺

I got this info from the DOC Website. Posted on January 2006.

And still the 65% hasen't been effective
When? Who knows !

Inmates will serve a Minimum of 85%

• Those sentenced to prison in Florida who committed their crimes on or after October 1, 1995 will serve a minimum of 85% of their sentences. This applies to all inmates, regardless of the type of crime they committed. On December 31, 2005, more than three-quarters (80.2%) of all inmates in prison had been sentenced under the 85% law. This percentage represents only those inmates who have every component of their sentence covered by the 85% law. When calculating how much time an inmate will serve in prison you must first calculate 85% of his or her sentence, and then subtract any county jail time already served.
Sample Sentences and Estimated Time Served

OffenseSentenceMinimum Time
They Will Serve*MurderLifeLife in PrisonSexual Assault15 years12.8 yearsBurglary10 years8.5 yearsDrug Possession3 years2.6 years
*Minus any county jail time already served.

What's this about a 65% of sentence served law?

Though this rumor has persisted for years, there has never been a law requiring inmates to serve only 65% of their sentences, though periodically bills to this effect are proposed to the Legislature. Effective October 1, 1995, section 944.275, Florida Statutes was amended and provides that a sentence imposed for an offense on or after October 1, 1995 cannot end, terminate or expire prior to the offender having satisfied 85% of the term imposed. In addition, the statute provides that the offender may earn monthly awards of incentive gain-time up to 10 days per month. However, when the inmate's tentative release date becomes equivalent to the 85% minimum service date, the inmate is prohibited from earning further gain-time awards.

“Hope is knowing that people, like kites, are made to be lifted up”

Getting there...

The Following User Says Thank You to YulyDGonzalez For This Useful Post:
JoshE's Wifey (07-20-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

well see what happens when charlie crist leaves office.he declines anything that has the potential to take $ out of his/his friends pockets.inmates are pawns to them, as well as us because WE pay for our loved ones crimes by paying for their time in prison.i just hope we get a better hearted govenor in next that'll cut us all a little break..we hope n pray every hour of every day this might happen but right now it looks like a pipe dream.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. I know we miss our men, but you could think positively and regard this time as a vacation for yourself. You only have to worry about yourself. You don't have to compromise with someone. I don't know. That's how I view it. December 2nd is my guy's release date and it feels like it is coming too soon!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Mine is coming home once a week on furloughs and I still can't wait until he's home for good. I miss him. He's my best friend and though things got rocky for a bit, we never lost our love. I look forward to him being here to help with the kids, the house, the yard and to just hold me when I need to be held.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
ben's girl (06-20-2010), YulyDGonzalez (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Awww. girls !! I miss my husband too !! Trust me. I don't want this kind of vacation... It's a horrible situation... even more when you have kids and they need a FATHER... my girls are 3 & Gaby turns 6 next month. My husband is been out for 2 years, & since then, my daughters haven't seen him. He's 10 hrs away & I can't afford to go visit him, I'm afraid to drive for so many hrs, & his family don't support me @ all.
In this system, everything is complicated...
Transfers : COMPLICATED (he is still waiting since 1-10)
Visits: everyone says it's complicated... clothes,money,holding hands, kisses, etc

And the list goes on and on............

CHANGE has to come.... SOON !!!

Take care ladies....
Yes, we have to think about ourselves, I know life goes on, but you can't forget those people who once gave everything to you....♥

Getting there...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandk View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. I know we miss our men, but you could think positively and regard this time as a vacation for yourself. You only have to worry about yourself. You don't have to compromise with someone. I don't know. That's how I view it. December 2nd is my guy's release date and it feels like it is coming too soon!
i dont know... my hubbys my best friend also n it sucks being without him, for me any way, so its definately nooo vacation here. we used to do everything together as weird as it sounds- if u seen one of us, the other was probably not far away. we just enjoy eachother. my hubby doesnt come home till 2016 n it feels like forever till then!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 AM
His Wifey

I miss my hubby too and he will be home in 3 months and it isnt coming soon enough. He is my bestfriend and this is far from a vacation for me.

Although the miles separate us, we are never far apart!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlo3586 For This Useful Post:
crazy2010 (06-22-2010), YulyDGonzalez (06-09-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 AM

awe !youre so lucky! i hope 3 months flllyyyyssssss by for you! thats good stuff!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

As long as the mouth pieces keep spewing the "public safety" speech, legislature would be hard pressed to approve anything less than the 85%. The first thing they spout when folks start talking cost cutting, prison overcrowding and need for change is that public safety crap. No one is thinking public safety when they send guys to prison for drugs, robbery, violations, etc for 7, 10, 20 and life yet will allow a murderer, pedofile and rapist out with 5-7. How this has slid by for so long is totally beyond me. I'll just be glad when I get mine home. Whatever we have to do, whatever he has to change in order to remain free...is on our agenda!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YulyDGonzalez View Post
I got this info from the DOC Website. Posted on January 2006.

And still the 65% hasen't been effective
When? Who knows !

[b][i]Inmates will serve a Minimum of 85%

What's this about a 65% of sentence served law?
I guess you have to be one of those that are having to deal with the 65% rule... at that time the sentencing was done to make up for that rule... mine is on the 65% but he got 30 years for robbery without a deadly wpn no one was hurt and he got $62... I know some that 30 years was nothing... I know one that got 390 years! And no one was killed... so really it all works out... I have been waiting for a lot of years and to me a year isn't anything you do what you have to do and you make sure you have all your ducks in a row before they come home so that you can help them be what they need to be so they don't go back inside!!!

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

The Following User Says Thank You to or-mtwt For This Useful Post:
<3mymichael216 (06-10-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 AM

thepetitionsite.com/1/gain-time-change-petition-in-florida
I found this site with a petition to change from 85 to 65% they are looking to get 1000 signatures.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~dustinswifey~ For This Useful Post:
crazy2010 (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM

someone told my guy that they passed 71% recently... i'm sure it's just a rumor but has anyone heard anything new? thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellsGirl View Post
someone told my guy that they passed 71% recently... i'm sure it's just a rumor but has anyone heard anything new? thanks!
Wish I did!! It would be a party at my house!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 PM

lol yea, here too.. i hate getting my hopes up though
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

Same here I just want it to be over!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM

wish they would pass something to give them more gain time.... most anything is better than 85,,,,,,
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crain51 View Post
wish they would pass something to give them more gain time.... most anything is better than 85,,,,,,
Yeah it totally sucks thats for sure! Especially when you hear that in other states its like a revolving door.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 AM

I wish a person convicted of murder had only 5-7yrs try life thats reality not a rumor i wish it was 20yrs or 15 yrs i would really jump for joy if they would do something like lessen the time for some of these men. I do agree about letting these pedifiles and child molestors out to do it all over again and again and again. It may not be a crime of murder but it takes away the innocents of so many kids which leaves a life time of scars they have to walk around with for the rest of their lives. So instead of these monsters who leave their marks imprinted and stamped on the brains of societies children being locked up for life who seem not to get the proper treatment to stop these horrible acts they just continuelly allowed to go through the revolving door to commit the crime again creating more and more victims each and everyday. So ladies some of you are really lucky if your time to wait is very short i know it may seem like an eternity but really it is a blessing at knowing actually when it will end for you loving someone who has alot of time carrying on their back is total torture but i choose to do it i love him with all my heart and i truly believe GOD will prevail in any situation even if it may seem impossible. I will help him by trying to make that load a whole lot lighter hes my baby.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandk View Post
Vacation? I could never imagine our time apart a vacation. It's been almost 14 years now and we still have a little over 3 years left. It is a very stressful time, he is worried about me and I am worried about him. I am trying to support our family on one income plus pay for phone calls, canteen, catalog orders and visitation......who the heck had a vacation?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsT For This Useful Post:
or-mtwt (06-24-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 AM

Rumor! Unless you see a big posting here with supporting documentation, it's a rumor. And, again, I hate to be the naysayer but even if they do pass it to 71% or anything below 85% this will more than likely ONLY affect those being sentenced AFTER the rule is passed. Those currently incarcerated were sentenced under the 85% rule and that is what they will serve UNLESS something is written into the language to make it proactive. But don't hold your breath.

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
or-mtwt (06-25-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Donation Award 

It's not just the ladies that are waiting. My girl (fiance) has another 40 months to go and I miss her like crazy. She is my love and insperation and best friend. I know you guys miss your men but we mis our women as well.
or-mtwt (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
UNLESS something is written into the language to make it proactive. But don't hold your breath.
And if that happens then I will be fighting mad because that would mean that mine would have more time added, as he is under the 65%... We all want our loved ones to come home and to have less time, be they men or women, and by the way its nice to see more men posting on here for their ladies as very few women have their men stand by them though the full sentence...

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 AM

Great point! It would hardly be fair to add more time to others. But people need to realize this is going to be big news when/if it ever happens.

I'm glad to see guys supporting their ladies on here too!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
or-mtwt (06-25-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsT View Post
Vacation? I could never imagine our time apart a vacation. It's been almost 14 years now and we still have a little over 3 years left. It is a very stressful time, he is worried about me and I am worried about him. I am trying to support our family on one income plus pay for phone calls, canteen, catalog orders and visitation......who the heck had a vacation?
Not everyone will see it as a vacation like I do. This has been a time of growth for me and I am thankful for it. I am not saying that it is easy. It isn't. I barely give him money and I don't pay a ton for phone calls because I can't afford to do that and support my daughter. This is just how I look at things. He got locked up the night that I went into labor. Try going through that horrible heartbreak. It nearly destroyed me and now I'm not sure that there is anything that can destroy me. To me, that's a big deal. Some people probably have trouble getting out of bed some days because it's so hard. Vacation might have been a dramatic euphamism. It's a time for me to focus on myself and my daughter without having to worry about him. Better?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 AM

Hey, you are certainly entitled to feel the way you do. Sounds like a rocky relationship. But it also sounds like you've used your time apart well. He'll be coming home to a stronger person and he better watch out lol!