Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Smile Non-smokeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadux View Post
My son said he heard that all facilities will stop selling tobacco products in the canteen and also visitors will not be allowed to bring tobacco products into the facility. Has anybody else heard this or is this just a new rumour?
My Son told me that starting Sept. 1, 2011 there will no more tobacco in the canteen. The new Gov. Scott, he's making alot of changes, from what I hear. My son said they get 1 roll of toiet paper every 10 days now, and the guard cannot take there gain time, they can only keep them in the box longer. I read where Gov. Scott wants to go to the same time scale the GA. has, which is 30% of their sentence for non-voilent crimes. Keep up with what he's doing, because I think the state of FL. DOC is way out of control! We have the second largest amount of inmate, the 1st is Texas, Unreal huh? Florida is what 1/3 the size??? It's about time something gets done!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mommadux
My son said he heard that all facilities will stop selling tobacco products in the canteen and also visitors will not be allowed to bring tobacco products into the facility. Has anybody else heard this or is this just a new rumour?

It's not rumor, its cold hard fact.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

California, Texas and Florida are the top 3 largest prisons. 30%? That wasn't even the percentage to be served before it was raised to 85%. I doubt any offender would ever serve that small percentage of time no matter what the offense.

I asked Ben what the general consensus in his dorm was about the tobacco free announcement. He said for the most part things are calm. Some of the guys are being idiots and already trying to figure out ways they can stockpile it. Don't they realize the first thing that's gonna happen come Sept 1 is a shakedown to find the contraband tobacco? Guess they'll find out...the hard way.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM

One 300 lb officer defended the nasty prison food and said that 2400 calories was all a grown man needed. I once watched four officers (3 men, 1 woman) walking shoulder-to-shoulder and not one of them was south of 250 pounds. No wonder they're mean.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencie View Post
One 300 lb officer defended the nasty prison food and said that 2400 calories was all a grown man needed. I once watched four officers (3 men, 1 woman) walking shoulder-to-shoulder and not one of them was south of 250 pounds. No wonder they're mean.
And, there is nothing in the requirements that states you must be in any physical condition to be hired! Seems to me that if they had weight & exercise rules, there'd be happier guards, and therefore, happier inmates. You don't have to badmouth or retaliate in other ways, if you respect those around you. Inmates are people, too. We all react better to those who are fair & respectful.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Dawn loves Michael always

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
No, I hadn't heard about any program that reserved entire dorms specifically for non-smokers. Mike certainly wasn't offered that type of housing. And if he wasn't, with pulmonary problems that have been documented for DOC and are being treated in custody, then who exactly is being given that housing? just another example of DOC's fine placement of inmates, I guess.

LOL about removing the bibles.
Has he asked about nonsmoking dorms? Again, I'm not going to argue smoking is a good thing, but I feel this will create a lot of problems. I hope Mike keeps his opinions to himself for his safety.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutemoran2 View Post
And, there is nothing in the requirements that states you must be in any physical condition to be hired! Seems to me that if they had weight & exercise rules, there'd be happier guards, and therefore, happier inmates. You don't have to badmouth or retaliate in other ways, if you respect those around you. Inmates are people, too. We all react better to those who are fair & respectful.

There very much should be a rule with regards to being physical fit when working an any law enforcement job. You can't pass the test, you don't get or keep your job.

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-26-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
California, Texas and Florida are the top 3 largest prisons. 30%? That wasn't even the percentage to be served before it was raised to 85%. I doubt any offender would ever serve that small percentage of time no matter what the offense.

I asked Ben what the general consensus in his dorm was about the tobacco free announcement. He said for the most part things are calm. Some of the guys are being idiots and already trying to figure out ways they can stockpile it. Don't they realize the first thing that's gonna happen come Sept 1 is a shakedown to find the contraband tobacco? Guess they'll find out...the hard way.

There will be a lot of DRs over this from stockpiling. I hope they take advantage of the smoking cessation being offered.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieJM1962 View Post
My Son told me that starting Sept. 1, 2011 there will no more tobacco in the canteen. The new Gov. Scott, he's making alot of changes, from what I hear. My son said they get 1 roll of toiet paper every 10 days now, and the guard cannot take there gain time, they can only keep them in the box longer. I read where Gov. Scott wants to go to the same time scale the GA. has, which is 30% of their sentence for non-voilent crimes. Keep up with what he's doing, because I think the state of FL. DOC is way out of control! We have the second largest amount of inmate, the 1st is Texas, Unreal huh? Florida is what 1/3 the size??? It's about time something gets done!!

Can't take their gain time? I haven't seen that. I'd get it from a DOC source in writing before I'd believe it. Gain time is earned, not given and can be lost.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Has he asked about nonsmoking dorms? Again, I'm not going to argue smoking is a good thing, but I feel this will create a lot of problems. I hope Mike keeps his opinions to himself for his safety.
Oh he definitely knows to keep his mouth shut LOL

I don't think he even knew that there were non-smoking dorms that he could ask for and I'm sure now that they are going tobacco-free they would tell him that they won't move him for that reason because they are all going to be non-smoking anyway would be their argument, so why go to the hassle to move him?

And I doubt that he would want to move now anyway...he's finally gotten settled now someplace and I doubt he'd want to upset that for this. I'm more upset about it than he is.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Can we start a letter writing campaign ?

Im going to try and be nice question: Your going in the hospital for a very serious operation. Only 3 Doctors in the world can perform this operation...which one do you want? 1. The Smoker? 2. The Alcololic? 3. The drug addict? Thousands and thousands of Doctors and Nurses are one of the three. I would ask for Dr Smoker.

My new proposal for a new law: Civil Rights....so no Christian bibles are allowed in prisons. Its offensive to certain religions. (I am being a smart ... I know)

Why are employees given smoking areas? So the inmates can smell the cigarette smoke? I was speaking with a guard today that I was sure would retire once the ban goes into place and he said no, he was going to stick it out..............Im disappointed in him, he lied...he will have a smoking area.

One more then I will give someone else the band box. Why dont we take all the money and effort to get rid of cigaretts and get the drunks off the roads and the addicts off the streets? oh..one more....where can I read about the canteens making the same amount of money no matter what they sell? I find that hard to believe.

Last edited by lin787; 03-20-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Waiting for Mike

Here's the contract between Keefe and the state that states the payments that the state receives from Keefe:

Canteen Contract

The state receives from Keefe, the canteen contractor, a flat fee per day per inmate no matter how much is spent in the canteen. Keefe has an incentive to increase canteen spending short-term but not the state. The state has an incentive to increase inmate spending long-term because the more inmates spend, the more they can push for that daily fee to be when they renegotiate that contract in 2014.

The employee smoking areas will be OUTSIDE of the camp fences according to DOC statements. If the inmates can smell the smoke from them it will likely mean they are somewhere they aren't supposed to be and have a bigger problem than that they can smell smoke.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 PM

talked to my bf today, he said all good behavior trasfers have been halted. I guess because of closing of the prison. And he told me for the past 2 days inmates have been stabed on the rec yard. It is already starting with the tensions. And the ban on smoking hasn't started yet. But some of the guys are already stressed about it. Santa Rosa didn't post anything at their prison untle fri about the ban.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
Here's the contract between Keefe and the state that states the payments that the state receives from Keefe:

Canteen Contract

The state receives from Keefe, the canteen contractor, a flat fee per day per inmate no matter how much is spent in the canteen. Keefe has an incentive to increase canteen spending short-term but not the state. The state has an incentive to increase inmate spending long-term because the more inmates spend, the more they can push for that daily fee to be when they renegotiate that contract in 2014.

The employee smoking areas will be OUTSIDE of the camp fences according to DOC statements. If the inmates can smell the smoke from them it will likely mean they are somewhere they aren't supposed to be and have a bigger problem than that they can smell smoke.
The inmates will smell it on their cloths when they come back in from smoking.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Banned

Um, call me crazy but... if they are going to put a ban on inmate smoking, why are they not banning employee smoking as well and getting THEM in cessation programs? I mean, after all, taxpayers are paying for employees health care as well... Probably because it would be called unconstitutional I'm guessing... too bad they don't look on inmates as human beings with rights as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Lots of companies and even government entities (e.g., counties) do not permit employee smoking. One step at a time. Maybe the union would defend smoking and put up a rukus.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencie View Post
Lots of companies and even government entities (e.g., counties) do not permit employee smoking. One step at a time. Maybe the union would defend smoking and put up a rukus.
Yup, you said the magic word...UNION. I guarantee you that the union would fight tooth and nail if they tried to ban smoking for employees.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Im all in a tiz again. " Designated smoking areas will be set up for employees outside the prison fence.""" cigarette smoke doesnt go through a fence? or its not dangerous after it goes through a fence? Wind only blows cigarette smoke away from inmates, never towards them? Outside the prison fence is still on state property.

At Holmes to go out side the prison fence would require going through a mim of one locked door and 2 locked gates. Someone inside the office has to "unlock the gates"
tx for info about Unions, I didnt know they were in a union.
tx for info about Keefee, I noticed a sign this past week end that said inmates can now spent $100 a week.

I want to write a letter to ??????? expressing my feelings (oh no, not good idea) saying the employees health is just as important as the inmates. and if employees have a place to smoke why cant inmates? what will be the long run cost of paying employees medical bills and opening and closing gates every whipstiche, add on lose of time working while they lock and unlock and do searches on every employee each time they go out ????

someone help me?

edit: hummm.http://www.justice.gov/usao/flm/pr/2...uilty_plea.pdf

Last edited by lin787; 03-21-2011 at 05:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lin787 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-26-2011), Tlina (03-22-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM

oh dont leave me to write a letter that needs to be taken serious. I dont even know who to send THE letter/letters to.

Dear ??????

I am writting ????? to ask why employees will be able to smoke after the smoking ban is in place.
How far away will the smoking areas be from outside what gate? Every time an employee goes out side the gate to smoke, someone must buzz open the door and gates taking productive time away from this person.

Keeping in mind all Florida prisons are on State property. Inmates as well as employees will be exposed to second hand smoke that is now said to be more dangerous than first hand. I have read /////////////////// that states employees will have a smoking area. Where will this be in conjuction with the nearest inmate?
the employees health is just as important as the inmates. and if employees have a place to smoke why cant inmates? what will be the long run cost of paying employees medical bills and opening and closing gates every whipstiche, add on lose of time working while they lock and unlock and do searches on every employee each time they go out ????

I need help here, or if you are hesitating for what ever reason, please send me a pm with a proper letter.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Waiting for Mike

Buss wrote a blog entry explaining the decision to go non-smoking...it brought up the safety benefits of banning lighters as well:

Secretary's Note

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Default It is true. Indeed!

Yes this is for sure happening from what my buddy told me by
this August 2011 and he said it doesn't affect him and others
who do not smoke, however for the ones that do smoke my
buddy said this will pose problems and probaly security threats
for the ones who are heavy on smoking. He said your looking at
inmates snapping abusing -breaking the rules just like they did
with cell phones. This folks may get ugly.

KImi06

KIMI06
Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi06 View Post
Yes this is for sure happening from what my buddy told me by
this August 2011 and he said it doesn't affect him and others
who do not smoke, however for the ones that do smoke my
buddy said this will pose problems and probaly security threats
for the ones who are heavy on smoking. He said your looking at
inmates snapping abusing -breaking the rules just like they did
with cell phones. This folks may get ugly.

KImi06
It's already starting to get UGLY!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jfreak111068 For This Useful Post:
Kimi06 (03-24-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM

I spoke with guard at Holmes today. He said he thought no smoking was for everyone. I told him I read it on Holmes Home Page. His is not happy. How are they going to relieve smokers while those that dont smoke dont get these little breaks? Where is outside the fence? They could possibly build smoking huts with filtered vents. Then I would not be happy that my inmate can only have so much tp due to money shortage, yet they find money for a smoking lounge?

I did ask where the rules and regulations were for this new decision and was told it has not been written yet. If this is true, we still have time to write and tell DOC how concerned we are about the health and cost of tx for employees. We dont stand a chance of asking them not to make this rule for inmates. or another dorm for smokers, but we do have a chance if we stay on them about the poor inmates that have to breath 2ed hand smoke.

Once I start my letter, would I write to the Gov, the dude at DOC or should there be more people to receive this wonderful letter Im going to write? lol

tx to who ever told me about who ever that wrote something on this. ( getting old sucks when you cant remember s....)

I read what Buzzy said, now I have a new question..................the sentence that talked about employees smoking out side the gate is gone!!!!!! or Im blind, and mad

Last edited by lin787; 03-26-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM

I'm with you guys either go nonsmoking for the facility or not at all. I work for the local School Board. There is no smoking on any school board property PERIOD. If you smoke you have to leave grounds. Problem? If you work in the school unless you are going to the bank (bookkeeper only) or a meeting you cannot leave grounds. So there is NO smoking for any employee. In fact I never see anyone leave the grounds except the custodians who come in after school to clean. They go across the street to smoke. I smoke. I don't smoke all day. The COs can suck it up just like the inmates.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

WorkerB posted in another thread that it would be for inmates AND workers. Before we get all worked up that it's not for everyone I think we just need to wait and see what the rules are really going to be. To my knowledge they haven't even been posted yet.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!