Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Default New gain time rules? (another rumor?) Updated w/ SB 1334-failed in session

Got a letter from hubby, who's at Santa Rosa. He mentioned sentencing dropping to 71%. I'm pretty sure it's another inmate rumor again. I can't find anything online about it. Not on the DOC website, Florida Senate website, Rick Scott's website or Google searching.

Also, hubby said they're going down to 2 meals a day. And tobacco products will stop being sold starting in July.

Anyone else hear the rumors? Any truth to any of it?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

I've heard them all from Mike except the two meals a day one. He heard the tobacco one but without a specific date on it.

I wish they would stop selling tobacco in there. "Smoke free" dorms are a joke. Mike's going to end up dead from cancer from serving his time.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Inmate.com(coming from the inmates) is not reliable. Rick Scott's "proposals" have to become bills before the legislature will consider them. If they do not reach the floor then they "died" along the way.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

yeah I doubt they'll drop from 85% to 71%... too much $$$ to lose.

and yeah they should stop sellin tobacco... I hate tobacco.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM

The dorms are thick with smoke. I feel for the nonsmokers trying to find oxygen.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM

New River O where my son was at doesn't allow smoking in the dorms, only in the outside "smoking area's". The inmates must request permission to go outside and smoke when they are in their dorms. Most of the time they were granted it, but not all were allowed out at once (obviously).

He is now in a WRC and they also have no smoking in all indoor area's. They have a few picnic tables that have smoking and that is it.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
New River O where my son was at doesn't allow smoking in the dorms, only in the outside "smoking area's". The inmates must request permission to go outside and smoke when they are in their dorms. Most of the time they were granted it, but not all were allowed out at once (obviously).

He is now in a WRC and they also have no smoking in all indoor area's. They have a few picnic tables that have smoking and that is it.
The rules say there is no smoking in the dorm that my husband lives in either, but somehow it always seems to be thick with smoke anyway according to him.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Well take away their smokes and see how friendly they will be. I feel for the nonsmokers but there's more important things IMO

Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Waiting for Mike

My husband says that a lot of people at his camp, including staff, seem very convinced that tobacco sales are going to cease in the canteen in the next couple of weeks. He hears that staff is extremely concerned about the increase in the inmate stress level that this will cause and the discipline issues that will result.

He heard something about guys will be allowed to have tobacco for awhile after canteen sales cease (smoke 'em if ya got 'em) but that they will have to be able to show receipts for what they have?

They are doing that major system update to the canteen system next weekend...????

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMom View Post
Got a letter from hubby, who's at Santa Rosa. He mentioned sentencing dropping to 71%. I'm pretty sure it's another inmate rumor again. I can't find anything online about it. Not on the DOC website, Florida Senate website, Rick Scott's website or Google searching.

Also, hubby said they're going down to 2 meals a day. And tobacco products will stop being sold starting in July.

Anyone else hear the rumors? Any truth to any of it?
You may be surprised to know that FL DOC is only REQUIRED to provide two "hot meals" to inmates daily. I want to say there is a time frame... like no more than 12 hours can go by without a "hot meal". The only way I know this is back in 2008 we had to do an evacuation of 3 facilites down south and there was a big stink about meals so DOC procedure and FL Statute were reviewed by myself and two other Sergeants. I didn't keep any paper work when I left but I will try to find where it says that. That would be the only "loop hole" I can think of. However, I STRONGLY feel that if that was the case (going to 2 meals a day) that would have been done a looooooong time ago. When I left in October of last year they had stopped ordering all carbon copy paperwork for officers and made us write reports out 3 times and wouldn't let us copy them with the copier 'cause it was "too expensive"!!! Pretty sure the whole meal issue would have been dealt with forever ago if it was a real option. Plus, I would bet <something very cool and expensive> if they did take away 33% of the inmate's food... mass riots would break out at EVERY adult male camp.

Last edited by davidsgirl84; 03-22-2011 at 09:36 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Just for clarification:
You all can go read all two pages off the link...but, no real need to post it here.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Rule...?ID=33-204.003

33-204.003 Food Services – Standards of Operation.
(1) General. Inmates shall receive three meals per day, of which at least two shall be hot meals. The meals shall be provided at regular meal times during each 24-hour period, with a period of no more than 14 hours between the end of the evening meal and the beginning of the morning meal, weather and security permitting. Holiday substitutions that deviate from the master menu must be approved in advance by the institutional warden, work release center major, or drug treatment center chief correctional officer. Prescribed therapeutic diets shall be available to all inmates with a current diet prescription.
The Following User Says Thank You to spin721 For This Useful Post:
DarrellsGirl (03-25-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks Spin. The other meal could/would be a "bagged lunch". 2 sandwiches and a piece of fruit is what Wakulla gave when they pulled the 2 meals a day card. So.... no real money saver there. I stand corrected then... they still have to provide a 3rd "meal", just doesn't require "cooking", therefore, it's not a "hot" meal.

I suppose they could have a hot breakfast... a cold lunch.... and a hot supper. But the ONLY way I can see that saving any "money" would be taking carts of food to the dorms, thereby eliminating the need for officers in the chow hall, meaning paperwork would be able to be completed before the end of shift... possibly... and reducing over time/ flexing out of schedules. Maybe save a buck a day total on the inmate food.... I dunno. Seems like they would be going around their elbow to get to their... well, you know the saying.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
MRS BG ❤ Thee Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian42 View Post
Inmate.com(coming from the inmates) is not reliable. Rick Scott's "proposals" have to become bills before the legislature will consider them. If they do not reach the floor then they "died" along the way.
LMAO inmate.com I was just gonna write that my man always says that
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM

FDOC is the epitome of the punch-line: "Such bad food -- and such small portions!" You know the guys in lock-up never have a hot meal. Food trays sit on open carts sometimes for hours before being served. I remember seeing that reference to 12 hours and hot meals, but don't recall where. Maybe in a procedure manual.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

An officer at my guy's camp said they will stop selling smokes via canteen by end of August because supposedly by end of Sept, there will be no smoking.

He says they've been told around the same time, they will be eliminating lunch. That concerns me since he's a diabetic and it's already a stretch now for what I send him. They also got the memo that the weekly amount they can spend went up $100 a week since they raised the canteen prices starting this week.

I know folks say don't believe "inmate.com" but with the guy Scott supposedly brought in to head of the DOC....I would not be surprised at the changes folks are wondering about. When it is all said and done...I wonder what those who were saying Scott was the answer to the system are thinking now. Beyond all the rest of it...how do you think FL inmates that smoke are going to handle this change...not change over time...change in like six months?? They don't have much as is. (that is a question more for those who understand what it's like to be a smoker...not die hard smoke haters - sorry)

Governor-Elect Rick Scott Turns to Reformer Edwin G. Buss to Run Florida’s Department of Corrections
Living up to his outsider image and keeping in line with his plan to reduce wasteful spending, Governor-elect Rick Scott turned to a fellow Tallahassee outsider with a long and successful track record of improving agency operations while simultaneously lowering the burden placed on taxpayers to run the state’s prison system.

Gov.-elect Scott, who appointed Indiana Department of Correction Commissioner Edwin G. Buss to head the Florida Department of Corrections, said Florida was fortunate to land such an experienced reformer who was being coveted nationwide.

“I am grateful that Ed Buss is coming to Tallahassee to help me change the way the Department of Corrections does business here in Florida,” said Scott. “I know he is ready to get-to-work to ensure our prisons operate most efficiently and cost-effectively.”

Scott specifically highlighted Buss’s impressive credentials, which include drastically reducing wasteful spending across his state agency, negotiating the nation’s lowest medical per diem rate, and leveraging public/private partnerships to deliver heightened services at a fraction of the cost.

Scott also noted that Buss, who served as a key member of Governor Mitch Daniels’ cabinet, has proven his ability to successfully analyze an organization’s critical requirements, identify deficiencies and potential opportunities to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance government’s services.

Scott noted that under Buss’s leadership, Indiana found a way to house 40 percent more inmates without additional construction and at a dramatically lower cost per inmate.

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels also congratulated Governor-elect Rick Scott for his selection of Ed Buss to run Florida’s prison system.

“Given the transformation and pro-taxpayer improvements of the last few years, it was inevitable that other states would come after top talent like Ed Buss. He was actively pursued by several new governors. Congratulations to Governor-elect Scott for winning the sweepstakes," said Governor Daniels.

About Edwin G. Buss:

Buss brings to Florida nearly twenty-four years of hands-on experience in corrections, emergency response, public safety, supervision and budgeting. As Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Corrections and a key member of Governor Mitch Daniels’ cabinet, Buss was responsible for over 7,500 employees, 26,000 inmates, 10,000 parolees throughout the state’s corrections facilities. Prior to serving as Commissioner, Buss served as Superintendent of two Indiana prisons where he refined Death Row and execution procedures, implemented accountability metrics and implemented a safe prison initiative. Throughout his career, Buss has been successful in implementing innovative policies that improve operations while reducing wasteful spending.

Last edited by KingsWifey; 03-25-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Post Can someone please look at sb 1334

Can someone please look at the changes and explain this to me... It looks as if first time nonviolent offenders will receive 65%... Is that correct? This is so confussing... UGH
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM

I cant find anything please can you tell me more???
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Life Hurts....God Heals
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbabygirl View Post
Can someone please look at the changes and explain this to me... It looks as if first time nonviolent offenders will receive 65%... Is that correct? This is so confussing... UGH
You have the right SB #?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo413 View Post
You have the right SB #?
I googled FL DOC Gain Time changes 2011 and it just popped up as well as other programs to be effective on October 1, 2011.. Try to google what I did and see wht you come up with
Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 PM

Also try searching CS/HB 917 this is VERY INTERESTING... I like this one alot...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM
missin my babe so much

GENERAL BILL by Bogdanoff
Sentencing of Inmates; Removes all references to imposing mandatory minimum sentences for defendants convicted of trafficking in controlled substances. Directs the DOC to develop and administer a reentry program for nonviolent offenders which is intended to divert nonviolent offenders from long periods of incarceration. Requires that the program include intensive substance abuse treatment and rehabilitative programming. Authorizes the DOC to enter into contracts with qualified individuals, agencies, or corporations for services for the reentry program, etc.

It does not state how much time they would have to serve but it does say that the judge would have a say in there sentence, so IMO for first time drug offenders they would not have to serve a min. mand. that does not mean they will not have to do time, just not as much the law calls for right now.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
missin my babe so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbabygirl View Post
Also try searching CS/HB 917 this is VERY INTERESTING... I like this one alot...

Oh yea that was pretty interesting, they require them to do this and that, and all of what they are requireing requires MONEY, and mean while they are cutting other programs. I love how they contridict themself. I want them to fix this darn system, but they need to stop talking about stuff and start taking action! And where it really matters and counts.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM

so this will only help offenders with non violent crimes?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
missin my babe so much

That's what it looks like. A lot of changes will only affect non violent crimes. I have not read or heard anything regarding violent crimes. But no where does it say it will be retro active. I doubt this because this would then mean all loved ones would have to be resentenced and they will cost a lot more money, unless....even though they can't get gain time right now they still get a paper every month stating they have x amount of days for good behavior even though they do not qualify for gain time, unless instead of them having to go to court and getting resentenced they would just apply the gain time they have already accumilated. But I don't know if that would happen either. We will just have to wait and see how they handle these.

The Following User Says Thank You to love baby For This Useful Post:
sad wife fl (03-29-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 AM

its a good start i hope they do something about 1st time violent offenders, well what they call violent