Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Didn't see it anywhere...heard it. Via a variation of inmate.com that has proven very reliable recently....

Didn't some people on here say their guys had undergone interviews from CO's for no apparent reason recently? (can't remember what thread that was on) I've heard stories about that too... Could be a connection?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
10,000 non-violent first time offender inmates being released.

Gain time changes:
Non-violent first-time offenders released at 55% of sentence.
Violent first-time offenders released at 65%.

Anyone heard anything similar to this? It's different than that budget-cutting exercise that was done (which involved age of inmates and medical condition) and I heard it from an interesting source.
I am not sure why people want to believe in this type of thing. There are about 30 different reasons why this is NOT true. First, all of the articles about prisons closing specifically state that it "does not involve releasing inmates early" that is DIRECTLY from the DOC. Second, anything anyone is told ON THE PHONE, (or contains the phrase "what I heard.....") that does not exist in some verifiable form (such as a document or article by a credible source) is NOT true. Make that a steadfast rule to NEVER believe anything like that and your hopes will not be crushed as often. Third, to EVEN think that the DOC could ONLY pick 10,000 inmates out of 100,000+ that are first-time non-violent offenders....there are WAY more than 10,000 first-time, non-violent offenders in FL prisons. That would open the door for an unbelievable amount of lawsuits/discrimination/racial tension...all of that stuff for people who meet that criteria but were not in the 10,000 "selected". How would you feel if your husband and your neighbor's husband were both locked up for the same charge, same sentence...and her husband got out, and YOURS did not? I bet you'd be on the phone with an attorney in less than 30 seconds. THAT is why it will not happen.

That whole gain time % change? This is an EXAMPLE: Let me tell you what would happen with that...the guy who would normally get let's say 2 years for cocaine possession: Instead of 2 years, the judge sees the "new" 55% rule...so he gets 5 years. It is very simple. The percent changes, the judges change their sentences with the %. However, it won't happen either. That is another WHOLE lawsuit waiting to happen.

Be careful with this stuff. A lot of people read these threads, get their hopes up...and by then end of the thread...they feel even worse. Many people take these things as fact before reading EVERYTHING.

Last edited by spin721; 03-19-2011 at 11:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to spin721 For This Useful Post:
sad wife fl (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Not to mention that even if the 85% changed it would not apply to anyone currently in the system. No, inmate.com is not reliable. And correctionalofficer.com either. I know for a fact COs will start these sort of rumors to mess with those inside. It happened when my hubby was in work release. A certain CO told several guys (my hubby overheard him) a total untruth about a change that would benefit them. He later told my hubby, when he asked him, he was "just messing with their heads because they're idiots". Not nice.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Default Warden making statements about 85% dropping

Bf is in Gulf. He called me tonight and said the warden has been discussing the 85% being lowered effective July 1st for 1st time non-violent offenders. I'm not saying this is true, as I obviously have no idea, but my bf isn't the type to make up a lie just to make me feel better. He said they shut down one of the dorms there and the facility is getting pretty crowded. Anyway, I'm not posting to get anyones hopes up. I'm posting to see if anyone else's LO has been told this as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

It's simply not possible that it is true. The 85% is written into state law, and so therefore it will take action from the legislature to change it. The legislature is not in session and will not be in session again until 2012.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Do higher ups in the facilities make "promises" like this a lot? I expect it of some COs of course.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 PM

I really cannot say if they make "promises" like that.. I have honestly never had to deal with anyone who has said anything like that. Where my son has been, they haven't lied about that. He may be making predictions since come July 1st there will be a lot less money to fund the prisons, but he has no control in actually cutting down the time served. That must be signed into law. I would imagine if it HAD to, it could be done on an emergency basis by Scott without having to wait for the next session, but I don't see that really happening.. they will just take services and items away from the inmates as well as the employee's before they lower the sentences...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

My husband has been in prison many years and these rumors have been going around the entire time he's been in.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM

No, they did not change the gain time. There is no prison overcrowding.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

My question wasn't really if this was happening, it was if anyone else has experienced staff higher than CO's talking about things like this with the inmates, but it was moved to this thread.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM

and considering that this thread alone has been circulating on here since.....

08-30-2009, 01:30 PM

just goes to show ya.... things haven't changed... and that is just this thread.

While many of us here have wished it would happen, continue to have hope that it will, like I said, I doubt that it will. My hope was never there, I work for the government and I see what they do. When there is no money for something, they just take away more from those that they must service, they don't scale back on time..if that makes sense. I really doubt that our new Gov will increase the gain time to 65%, instead, he will close prisons (which he is doing), he will take away programs, (which he is doing) and lay off workers in the remaining prisons (not sure if that has started yet). He will cut back on services to the inmates (now they limit TP, they are going to limit medical care how I don't know but that took a large budget cut). You see, they aren't going to do the logical thing.. they are going to hurt everyone involved.. inmates, and employee's the same... they will all be in that sinking ship together as our Gov rides off into the sunset on his private large yacht.. or better yet, his private corporate jet that he charges us tax payers to use now...
The Following User Says Thank You to amickeyfan For This Useful Post:
~*~His Bella~*~ (06-05-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM

New to this site, dont really know how 2 navigate it, know this is unrelated to this thread, but has anyone heard anyhng about going back 2 65%??? I know there are a lot of rumors, but if anyone has info. worth while, please let me know.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Up with DOC View Post
New to this site, dont really know how 2 navigate it, know this is unrelated to this thread, but has anyone heard anyhng about going back 2 65%??? I know there are a lot of rumors, but if anyone has info. worth while, please let me know.
no problem... the rumor has been around since it went to 85%... there isn't anything officially being said that it will go to 65%. Scott will cut from the Corrections Dept employees, charge inmates for items that were free and cut back on what is provided to inmates before cutting the sentence time.... there is no worth while information to give you other than.. it is just a rumor..nothing real about it.. it has been around since day one..
There are tons of threads on the Fl board about it.. I don't think the search engine works here any more.. but try googling prisontalk 65% and see what you get.. hope this helps ya
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM

It'll be another year before this change could be made. So keep watching to see what they are doing in Tallie but it won't be this year. And don't hold your breath it will be next year or the year after that. And if they did, realize it would most likely only affect those sentenced AFTER a certain date.

http://www.flsenate.gov/tracker/

Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM

There is a federal ammendment being pushed, called the Barber Ammendment to increase gain time to 65%, but it does not include the state prisons. I know a lot of inmates refer to this bill, not realizing it is for federal prisons. So our Florida guys get to stick with their 85%.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:29 PM

The idea is that if the feds reduce theirs the states will follow. The states raised theirs because of federal funding. However, it didn't' have to be across the board. Florida is one of only five states that did this to everyone. Lazy as hell. But it is what it is. If everyone would keep the site I listed on their favorites and refer to it when their loves ask, they would be able to get the rumor mill to shut up faster.

Last edited by wifeofMichael; 06-24-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Love Conquers All

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
and considering that this thread alone has been circulating on here since.....

08-30-2009, 01:30 PM

just goes to show ya.... things haven't changed... and that is just this thread.

While many of us here have wished it would happen, continue to have hope that it will, like I said, I doubt that it will. My hope was never there, I work for the government and I see what they do. When there is no money for something, they just take away more from those that they must service, they don't scale back on time..if that makes sense. I really doubt that our new Gov will increase the gain time to 65%, instead, he will close prisons (which he is doing), he will take away programs, (which he is doing) and lay off workers in the remaining prisons (not sure if that has started yet). He will cut back on services to the inmates (now they limit TP, they are going to limit medical care how I don't know but that took a large budget cut). You see, they aren't going to do the logical thing.. they are going to hurt everyone involved.. inmates, and employee's the same... they will all be in that sinking ship together as our Gov rides off into the sunset on his private large yacht.. or better yet, his private corporate jet that he charges us tax payers to use now...
That sure just makes me so sick...I have continued to also hear about that supposed change and it's all over prison and it's continuously giving the inmates and their loved ones hope and it's just awful. The government will never do anything "good" or "right". They are all full of self righteousness and NO SENSE! There really isn't much the government ever does that makes any sense or is of any logic. Mickey you are so right on. The government always has some way of making a big mess of things just to make things seem like they are accomplishing something else...so ridiculous. I'm so sick of the FL system. I'm in TX and TX is a tough state but it's nothing compared to FL. FL is just plain out brutal and unjust.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottynJenny09 For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 AM

....and with the way our system is getting, I think, again just my opinion, they will not drop to the 65%, but continue to take away from the Government employee's as well as the inmates for cut backs as opposed to cutting time served. (both my husband & I work for the Government too)
That is life here in Sunny FLA... we are not your average State. I have been here since 1991. I came from NY. When I moved here, I was told by many that there would be a big change in lifestyle and that they were behind the times in many things. I never dreamed back then, my 5 year old son would be having to experience one of the many things they are so screwed up on I have seen the things that NY did away with because it was not cost effective, FL has taken on thinking it will be. Will I move from here, no.. I like the weather too much.. my old bones can't take the cold in NY to go back home I think the State of Fl needs a major overhaul on many things and it is going in the wrong direction.. instead of going up, it's going down further...
Just hang in there and hope for the best.. we all here are going through it.. and yes, it sucks big time...

Last edited by amickeyfan; 06-25-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Account Closed

Even if it happened tomorrow none of our men would fall in it since they r already currently in doc sadly... it is what it is
Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM

One thing we have to keep in our heads as we rail against the system is this...our loved ones mucked up. Very few of them are innocent of the charges. So we can work to fix it but we have remember if people would mind their p's and q's they wouldn't have to experience it and neither would we. I have told my husband that when he was inside. Remember this aggravation and don't go back!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-25-2011), CARI0206 (07-06-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
One thing we have to keep in our heads as we rail against the system is this...our loved ones mucked up. Very few of them are innocent of the charges. So we can work to fix it but we have remember if people would mind their p's and q's they wouldn't have to experience it and neither would we. I have told my husband that when he was inside. Remember this aggravation and don't go back!
very very well said!!! Do the crime, do the time..accept responsibility for your actions..... just wished it was the same time as most of the other states...
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm betting those in other states have their complaints as well. I'm personally opposed to standard prisons except for the worst of the worse. I don't think it works. I believe in counseling and keeping all hands busy. Growing their own food, beef, etc. Sewing their own clothing, sheets, blankets. IMO, idleness leads to trouble. My hubby is the perfect example. Unemployment led to depression, depression led to self medication through illicit drugs, led to theft, led to arrest, led to prison.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM

WoM....agreed..
what is that old saying???

Idle hands are the devil's workshop... and it is the truth!!! That is one of the reasons why when my son was in school we kept him in baseball, and he loved it! he was on 3 teams at one time.. he had no time for crap. Between school, work and the teams.. he couldn't screw up.. he graduated high school.. and bamm... he has idle time. .... ... friends changed, dropped out of college.. and spiraled down hill. Bipolar kicked in big time.. refused to take his meds.. manic highs... more so than the depression hit him.. manic to the point of .. he could do "no wrong".. even though he was.. he didn't see it.. in his eyes, he wasn't.. to the point of where he was doing so many drugs, he had to do them just to get thru the day.. shooting up, I want to say, between 3 & 4 times a day!!! he worked through it too! All his money went to it.. stole from us to help cover it.. he shot up just to be normal for work..then would do double when he got out of work to get high..
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Account Closed

I personally can not wiat until we win our appeal and can leave this flipping state... the system down here is ridiculous... as soon as he is out we r going back to where I'm from and never looking back...my issue is with the court system... my husband to be should NEVER have been arrested for what he is sitting in prison for nor should he have been found guilty at trial... it disgusts me to no end... at trial the victims gf who was a witness to the crime said my husband to be was not one of the men *he doesn't even fit the description he is 5'11" the suspects were 5'5"ish* but now I have to fight to get him home its bs... hate this state so much lol
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Default Minimum reduced to 71% yet?

I have heard from a county inmate iunder my care again of a rumor spreading through her facility that the minimum sentence served is dropped again to 71% from the 85% which i see on the DOC FAQ pages. However, I have seen this thread on Prison Talk and the last dated response was early in 2010. It didn't look promising. I have asked the DOC via Email about this and they have never responded to my question. Has there been any new legislation that does reduce to 71%? The question my ministry asked, she wants to know if this may also apply to county inmates and who would we call or contact to get this process rolling starting on July 1 of 2011?
Sincerely, Alan

Last edited by Alan Dircks; 06-26-2011 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: corrected grammar