Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dircks View Post
I have heard from a county inmate iunder my care again of a rumor spreading through her facility that the minimum sentence served is dropped again to 71% from the 85% which i see on the DOC FAQ pages. However, I have seen this thread on Prison Talk and the last dated response was early in 2010. It didn't look promising. I have asked the DOC via Email about this and they have never responded to my question. Has there been any new legislation that does reduce to 71%? The question my ministry asked, she wants to know if this may also apply to county inmates and who would we call or contact to get this process rolling starting on July 1 of 2011?
Sincerely, Alan
There is no such legislation.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Dawn loves Michael always

Can't blame it on this state alone. Really, you can't. Florida is tough, don't get me wrong. But mistaken identity and bs trials happen everywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM

http://www.flsenate.gov/Tracker/

Nope not happening. The above link will let you look stuff up. But it's over for the year. This is a constant rumor and you need to explain to her the prison rumor mill is not to be ignored. If she's curious having someone check is great. But it always irks me how hopes get up based upon lies. BTW, some prison guards like to spread them too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-26-2011), Kimi06 (08-19-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Account Closed

I truly do understand that but I do blame it on our state because not only has it happened to him but me as well before I met him.... so I don't like the state or how it does things ay all... my dad was a cop for nearly 40 yrs up north and is a po now and he even says this state is run messed up and can't believe half the reasons these people r on probation with him
Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM

I am really starting to think that maybe there should be a stick on this topic It truly is asked often, and many do not know that it is a rumor. If it weren't for those here to confirm that it is, those hearing it would never know either.. Maybe the sticky is something that we can suggest to have put up there.......and maybe someday we can change it from "Rumor" to Truth" just may not be anytime soon....
The Following User Says Thank You to amickeyfan For This Useful Post:
Kimi06 (08-19-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dircks View Post
I have heard from a county inmate iunder my care again of a rumor spreading through her facility that the minimum sentence served is dropped again to 71% from the 85% which i see on the DOC FAQ pages. However, I have seen this thread on Prison Talk and the last dated response was early in 2010. It didn't look promising. I have asked the DOC via Email about this and they have never responded to my question. Has there been any new legislation that does reduce to 71%? The question my ministry asked, she wants to know if this may also apply to county inmates and who would we call or contact to get this process rolling starting on July 1 of 2011?
Sincerely, Alan
ditch my answer.. I want to comment on the County Inmates serving their sentence there.. is he getting gain time now? Is he serving 85% of his sentence now? If he is, and just say, the law were to change, which we know it isn't (at least with this Governor), it would change for County doing time too..

Last edited by amickeyfan; 06-26-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Can't blame it on this state alone. Really, you can't. Florida is tough, don't get me wrong. But mistaken identity and bs trials happen everywhere.
I just read your link from the other thread... we here are complaining about the 85%... let's just be thankful we don't live in Idaho, Nevada and New Hampshire, they serve 100%... I guess I will be viewing the 85% a little different now.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank you everyone for helping me. i will copy your responses to a letter to her. She will appreciate our care for her even though it will still be yet another disappointment.
Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Dircks For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

I've moved your thread to the existing thread we have about reducing the time served from 85% to "x". You'll see based on the dates of this thread, that rumor has been circulating for a long time and even before. Hopefully your friend will see that you are only looking out for her in telling her the truth.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Mickey, perspective is everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~His Bella~*~ View Post
My question wasn't really if this was happening, it was if anyone else has experienced staff higher than CO's talking about things like this with the inmates, but it was moved to this thread.
I have found many times that it can be partly inmate misunderstanding of what is being said. As inmates discuss what they think they heard, then the story changes even more. Mine isn't a Rhodes Scholar but he's no idiot either. He mentioned that the warden had made an announcement that they will begin charging inmates $1 monthly for healthcare and that they'd also be charged for each DR they receive to which he told me he was confused because if that was the case COs would be writing DRs like they were going out of style and the inmate would be owing the facility for tons of bogus DRs. He said the following day it was announced to ignore the previous announcement regarding charges for healthcare and DRs. He and I both were completely confused about the "announcement" in the first place.

I don't know the "truth" because I'm not there. For one, the "warden" could have been an officer "pretending" to be the warden. Officers are known to be real asshats playing the inmates all the time. (Thanks WifeofMichael I still love this term). I also know it could be that due to surroundings it is possible to loose the point of an announcement surrounded by hard heads and inmates who won't ever see freedom again.

I told my honey that I'll know before he does should they pass INTO LAW a change in release for inmates already serving time and that he should not hold his breath or even give it any thought as he'll be home long before that ever happens.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM
*****man's Wife

Sad but true I told mine the same thing, lets stay focused
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Daddy's Home 11/15/11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Up with DOC View Post
New to this site, dont really know how 2 navigate it, know this is unrelated to this thread, but has anyone heard anyhng about going back 2 65%??? I know there are a lot of rumors, but if anyone has info. worth while, please let me know.
Rumor...is rumor...is rumor. You can scroll through this particular thread and probably some others that have been around a long time...as long as this rumor that just won't die has been circulating. It's worse than one of the bad and obvious chain emails.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
*****man's Wife

In the begining i use to hold onto hope about things like this too, but now until i see it in black and white I don't believe. Yes the system is broken but they don't run to fix it quickly at all. I figured mine will be home too by the time they fix it, if they ever do.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

I think we should start a pool on how many pages this thread will be when it actually happens....Entry fee is a hunny bun (those never go stale, they'd survive a halocaust right?) and the winner gets the whole stash.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

I will say this again: changing the percentage of a sentence to be served can only be done by legislative action. The best way to present to a legislator for introduction of a bill to change the sentencing laws, is through a professional lobbyist.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal USA View Post
I will say this again: changing the percentage of a sentence to be served can only be done by legislative action. The best way to present to a legislator for introduction of a bill to change the sentencing laws, is through a professional lobbyist.
yep...and no politician wants "lets criminals out sooner" on his resume. Hence my tongue-in-cheek suggestion that we need something that doesn't go stale and could survive a halocaust as the stakes in our pool.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
yep...and no politician wants "lets criminals out sooner" on his resume. Hence my tongue-in-cheek suggestion that we need something that doesn't go stale and could survive a halocaust as the stakes in our pool.
Respectfully, I disagree. I happen to work closely with a very reputable attorney who formerly served in the FL House of Reps and who is now running for Senate. He and I have spoken of FL sentencing laws often. He too is of the opinion that the draconian 85% TIS laws need changing and that lobying is the way to bring such to fruition.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal USA View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. I happen to work closely with a very reputable attorney who formerly served in the FL House of Reps and who is now running for Senate. He and I have spoken of FL sentencing laws often. He too is of the opinion that the draconian 85% TIS laws need changing and that lobying is the way to bring such to fruition.
Well I hope that there are enough people like him out there to make it happen someday in the future.

It's hard unfortunately where I am in my life right now to be very optimistic about anyone in power doing the right thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
YulyDGonzalez (07-08-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Default September 22nd

I was talking to my bf last night on the phone and he said that it was on the news last week that a bill is going to be voted on september 22nd to reduce prison time for non violent offenders. does anybody know anything they can tell me regarding this?

Last edited by myfratboy; 08-13-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Oops posted the article twice...can't figure out how to delete so I just "edited" and wrote this instead...

‎"Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."

Last edited by JenMarie614; 08-13-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Default Article in Re to Gain Time

Found this article online...it was a bit depressing to read, but for me, I would much rather know the truth than hold on to false hope...

Subject: Florida Gain Time

Post Content: 85% Service of Sentence Requirement: No Immediate Change Projected Due to Decrease in Prison Admissions

Link to full article:
http://floridaprisoner.com/?p=184

Hope I posted this response correctly...

‎"Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."

Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfratboy View Post
I was talking to my bf last night on the phone and he said that it was on the news last week that a bill is going to be voted on september 22nd to reduce prison time for non violent offenders. does anybody know anything they can tell me regarding this?
Since the Florida legislature will not be in session again until 2012, NOTHING can be voted on until then. And no bills have been officially introduced for that session yet.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMarie614 View Post
Found this article online...it was a bit depressing to read, but for me, I would much rather know the truth than hold on to false hope...

Subject: Florida Gain Time

Post Content: 85% Service of Sentence Requirement: No Immediate Change Projected Due to Decrease in Prison Admissions

Link to full article:
http://floridaprisoner.com/?p=184

Hope I posted this response correctly...
I can't seem to get this link to work. Anyone else?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

I didn't have any problems opening it.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!