Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Default Fla. House passes welfare drug testing requirement

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/state...as4vq_tNQ.cspx

About time!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 AM

To be honest, I happen to agree with this bill. I work in a government position & if I have to pass a drug test to work there, I don't see why someone collecting from the government in a different "department" doesn't have to Those who are not doing drugs and collecting welfare have nothing to worry about, just as those working for the government and not doing drugs have nothing to worry about .. oh & my test, I don't get my money back if I test clean... Just as every so many years I must get my finger printing redone, at my expense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amickeyfan For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (04-27-2011), Tuesday123 (09-06-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

A Federal Appeals Court has already said this is unconstitutional.

All that is going to happen here is that a lot of taxpayer money is going to be wasted on lawyers arguing about this for awhile.

ETA: Gov Scott's order to have all state employees drug tested randomly also is in violation of settled constitutional precedent and will never stand up when it is challenged in court:

FL Drug Testing For State Employees Illegal

He can issue all the orders he wants and have the legislature pass laws but established case law says they are illegal and they will be undone by the courts as unconstitutional....it's what the checks and balances of our system are all about.

Last edited by NAN425; 04-27-2011 at 03:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
vera31 (09-26-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM

There are some government employees who have been drug tested before Scott even took office.. I have been working for the school district since 1997/98 school year & have been drug tested 3 or 4 times already.. and finger printed 3 times. All before Scott took office.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Waiting for Mike

The previous court precedents allow for testing of certain types of employees - specifically where there is a public safety interest in making sure those employees are clean of drugs while performing their job. That can be interpreted by some employers to include jobs where there is contact with children. That's the same reason for the fingerprinting. I also have to go through it every several years to renew my volunteer credentials for my daughter's school as well - they re-do the background check on a regular schedule and that is part of it.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Default WE can't be quilty of assuming anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSiChic View Post
I hate this, as it assumes that any who receive help might be drug addicts, will misuse cash & foodstamps. There are people out there who seriously need help right now. I can't assume the worst, just feel compassion. It would be as if we all assumed the worst about the inmate family members on here as worthless, also. It is not man's job to judge anyone.

Republicans & teabaggers judge first, never want to know truth. It's very sad.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Default Drug testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
To be honest, I happen to agree with this bill. I work in a government position & if I have to pass a drug test to work there, I don't see why someone collecting from the government in a different "department" doesn't have to Those who are not doing drugs and collecting welfare have nothing to worry about, just as those working for the government and not doing drugs have nothing to worry about .. oh & my test, I don't get my money back if I test clean... Just as every so many years I must get my finger printing redone, at my expense.
So, as my grandson receives medicaid, we will assume that at 5 years old, he or I, need to be drug tested? He receives, because we can not afford health insurance just for him. We are seniors barely able to pay our own co-pays etc. He was injured at 3 weeks, almost fatally, by the birth mom. He received medicaid.
With private insurance, at some point they would nail us finacially for anything that might have resulted to his past history.{ Of course, the insurance companies could not call it "pre-existing conditions" but they would deny his care.}
Any time, the government has a demand, it will not be good for those who truly need.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

I just don't think it's fair to those who really need it that others who abuse the system get away with it. Our tax dollars are being used to support some peoples drug habits....and furnishing some houses quite nicely too. That's the part that makes me mad. My mother used to see it all the time working at a check cashing store. Women coming in with huge welfare checks driving an Escalade and covered in jewelry. There's something wrong there.

Sent from my DROID2 using PrisonTalk
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Left my heart in Negril

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutemoran2 View Post
I hate this, as it assumes that any who receive help might be drug addicts, will misuse cash & foodstamps. There are people out there who seriously need help right now. I can't assume the worst, just feel compassion. It would be as if we all assumed the worst about the inmate family members on here as worthless, also. It is not man's job to judge anyone.

Why should it bother somone who isn't at risk of failing the drug test? In reality, this will also protect those who don't abuse the welfare system....so I fail to see why you are so offended.

The fact is, there is a huge percentage of those receiving public assistance (on the taxpayers $), who are in fact abusing drugs/selling drugs...there is nothing ok about that. Period.

How do you suggest this situation be handled?

Do you think that it's "judgmental" when companies drug test their employees? lol

I think if I was in need, and dependent on other people/gvt to help me financially, the last thing I would do is put up a fight about a simple drug test.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
- Marilyn Monroe

Last edited by LittleWing13; 04-28-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Soon baby, soon <3

My only problem with this is that, let's say a parent is on drugs so they decide not to get the help they need for their kids because they are affraid of getting tested? What happens to those kids??? Also, it says they want to charge upfront for the drug test then give the money back if they come back negative. What about those who really can not afford to pay for that test up front? Those families will have to go without because they can't pay for a drug test that may or may not come back positive?
I'm just sayin'...

The Following User Says Thank You to Shaneswife68 For This Useful Post:
Kimi06 (05-20-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Waiting for Mike

Anyone who takes a drug test is at risk of coming back positive. False positives are surprisingly common and can be caused by everything from certain OTC medications (especially in combination) to herbal teas. Not taking illegal drugs does not make you immune from the potential problem of failing a test.

Under the law, taking a drug test equates to a physical search, the same as if authorities turned your house or car upside down looking for illegal or incriminating items. If that sort of search starts being OK in any circumstance, what is next? They can search the house of anyone who is on welfare anytime they want? Sounds crazy but legally it is a surprisingly short trip since they are both searches treated the same under the law.

vera31 (09-26-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Quote:

I agree! I don't receive any of these services
however@ the same time for people who do
this is almost ridiculing. Just because you are
having to use the system at this time n moment.
Not to mention the money it costs as the individual
is on the system...duh! obviously they are having
a ruff time with financial hardship BUT you want them
to pay for drug testing because of where they have to
live at this moment and time complete NONSENSE.
Eventually like everything else the tax payer will pay
for this. Why can't they do it on on individual
basis in which the person's life demonstrates or
says I am a drug user, dealer, ect. This is
to typical of Florida. My opinion only......
There are people really struggling out here and
busting there A$$ to stay above the water. Not
struggling because they want to or want something
for nothing. This is way too demeaning and costly.

Florida has way bigger fish to fry..come on now!

Blessings
KImi

KIMI06

Last edited by Kimi06; 05-20-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

[quote=LittleWing13;6115199]Why should it bother somone who isn't at risk of failing the drug test? In reality, this will also protect those who don't abuse the welfare system....so I fail to see why you are so offended.

The fact is, there is a huge percentage of those receiving public assistance (on the taxpayers $), who are in fact abusing drugs/selling drugs...there is nothing ok about that. Period.

TRUE! I understand totally what your saying.
there are so many people messing the system over
but there is a flip slide.

Do you think that it's "judgmental"
when companies drug test their employees? lol

Let's keep in mind that the employers pay for the
drug testing. the individual working for the company is not out of pocket.

Let's also keep in mind that there are people who
receive some help from the system that still
work every day..,.,....so to clump everybody in
the same category and then have them pay
for testing is an insult. I know plenty of people
all day long who receive snaps and housing
and work all day long and still paying taxes
back into the system. This is not a one size
fits all....Sorry!

KIMI06

Last edited by Kimi06; 05-20-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

(correction) Not all employers but MOST.....

Kimi06

KIMI06
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Kimi06

KIMI06
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Kimi06

KIMI06
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Not all employers but most! Correction

KIMI06
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Not all employers but most! Correction

KIMI06
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Waiting for Mike

Why am I offended by this? Because the constitution says that the government cannot conduct a search of me or my possessions without reasonable suspicion and/or a warrant. Receiving government assistance does not come even CLOSE to meeting the constitutional standard for a search.

The constitution. That document everyone points to holier than thou as the thing that makes us better than every other country on earth. THAT is why this offends me.

Saving money or stopping someone from getting benefits you don't think they deserve is a very sorry reason for giving up the basic principles this country was founded on.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Luvn me for me

Well, considering this is the same state that wants to allow employers to deny unemployment if the employees engage in "misconduct" it doesnt surprise me. Do I agree with this? Yes and no. Yes because If a person is using their own cash for drugs, that is taking away from a family who has NO money and solely depends on EBT (funding cuts etc.) No because, what will happen to the parent if they test positive? will they be given treatment at the state's expense? where will the children go if they are removed by CPS? children still need to eat, lots of families skip one meal as is per day, why make themsuffer more because of the parents choices?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Waiting for Mike

OK, let me try to explain it from a different perspective...do you have any idea how it makes a person feel to be treated as if you are just assuming they must be a drug abuser? How insulting that is? How crappy it makes someone feel? I do.

Several years ago I was sleeping while my husband was up late watching TV. He heard a noise from the bedroom and went to check on me. He found me unresponsive, gasping for breath. The first paramedics arrived in less than a minute. At some point in their assessment, I became combative and began resisting treatment. My husband then had to spend the next several minutes convincing the paramedics that I was not on some sort of drug trip because they assumed that I was a drug user. This was despite my lengthy medical history that included lupus with multiple complications that left me at risk of stroke, seizure and other sorts of things that could explain my condition. Meantime he's in a total panic because he knows something is really wrong and they are focused on the wrong thing.

All of this occurred despite the fact that one of the paramedics knew my husband and I (was an acquaintance). I was transported to the hospital and eventually diagnosed as "probable seizure". But the paramedics took one look at the way I was behaving...jumped to conclusions...and that could have been disastrous for me.

Another time, I had my gallbladder out and after feeling better for a bit, started having pain again. This worried me because I was concerned that something was wrong. So I called the doctor's office and said told them I was worried about my pain. The nurse launches right into a speech about how they don't give more painkillers after these surgeries because patients don't need them, yada, yada. She assumed because I called and used the word pain I was trying to scam more painkillers. It was so demeaning. I had to stop her and explain that I didn't need help with managing my pain, I needed someone to tell me why I was having the pain! Then her tone changed. But one sentence out of my mouth and she jumped to a really brutal conclusion.

If you've never encountered that sort of attitude aimed at you, you might be surprised how much it can hurt.

Kimi06 (05-23-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM

results are in for the first go around, only 2people failed the test I sure am glad, I worry about their kids.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Yea Jose is coming home
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,116 Times in 419 Posts

They should have that in California.I have seen people abuse the system. I work as a cashier in a grocery store.I see people come in and use there Ebt for party's. one guy had his Ebt card and someone else's card buying alot of candy sodas and chips. He tells me he has a little business by the library and he sells it for cash. Well to me that is not what Ebt is for.I have people with coach purses come in and use Ebt . They had on the news a while back that people where going to the casino taking money off there card to use to gamble. They have since fixed The machines so now they can't do it. I was once on welfare I used it for what it was intended for. If you are not doing drugs then you have nothing to worry about.I would rather pay 200 of tax money for a drug test then to give 600 or 700 for drugs , coach purses or an expensive car.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using PrisonTalk

Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Thanked 1,903 Times in 891 Posts

But sadly a lot of people receiving cash aid and foodstamps are on drugs, and the food stamps are being sold at half their value for cash to be spent on drugs.

So let them weed out the drug addicts and continue to aid the ones who wont be spending it on their next fix and actually feed, cloth, and house their families

If someone comes up dirty on a test, CPS should be notified immediately.

Quote:

Last edited by Tuesday123; 09-06-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdebbie92025 View Post
I have people with coach purses come in and use Ebt .
First, the purse could be fake and not actually expensive at all. Second, it could be old and from a time in their life when they could actually afford stuff like that - those things last forever. Divorce, job loss, a medical crisis...all sorts of things can lead to a massive change in financial status that could lead people to need temporary help. It's what the system is for.

With our current financial disaster, all sorts of people that you would never imagine are needing government benefits. It's not just people from the slums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
krazykat811 (09-07-2011), t_lm (09-07-2011)