Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts
Default User Fees For DOC Services

My husband just told me that it was announced today to the inmates where he is that they are going to have to start paying user fees for "services":

$1/month for medical
$1/month for VP
$1 per DR

(love how they think a DR is a "service")

Those first two fees apply whether you use the "service" that month or not. It will be deducted from your inmate account. If you are indigent and don't have money in your inmate account, they will deduct the $ from your $100 you are eligible to receive at release.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
~Missing my Husband~
Donation Award 

Absolutely unreal. I am speechless.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Waiting for Mike

Seriously....they think $1 is going to balance their budget? All it is going to do is piss off the inmates (and their families). It's just petty. 1200 guys in the camp...what, maybe half can pay this fee? $1200/mo they can collect? Yeah, they're going to be rich.

ETA: I won't notice the $2 from my husband's account, but that isn't the point...it's petty. They are charging for ultra basic things that are supposed to be a basic human right of these guys while they are in there. It's bad enough that they aren't supplying basic things like enough toilet paper and (in my husband's case) cool drinking water in 100+ degree heat. THIS IS INSANE.

Last edited by NAN425; 06-21-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM

What can WE do, as this is ultimately a tax on us. It is not our inmate who is paying these funds, it is those of us who are sending canteen funds to our family member/inmate. Above all, why should our inmate be charged for us visiting them. They earn the right to see us. We love them, so we visit. If, two or more visit & are over the age of 18, each is issued an individual pin number. If, you go on the same day, same time, that becomes two or more visits on that date.

My son does not use the medical service, but will be charged for the service.

Not for nothing, but I can only afford a limited amount per month. I do this out of love, not to support the state of Florida that gets much of our income in other forms.

I, repeat, what shall we do? ACLU, NAACP, letters to our various editors? What can we do & who will join me in the effort? Are you mad enough? Do you care enough? What are we willing to do? Let's not just whine & complain. Let us act now. Any ordinary Florida citizen recognizes this as one more way to hurt the poor & disenfranchised.

Yet, I know of one local white collar inmate who earns a decent wage & only returns to prison to sleep. http://www.theledger.com/article/201...NEWS/110609484
The Following User Says Thank You to jutemoran2 For This Useful Post:
BAYBAYWIFE (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Thumbs down I will notice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
Seriously....they think $1 is going to balance their budget? All it is going to do is piss off the inmates (and their families). It's just petty. 1200 guys in the camp...what, maybe half can pay this fee? $1200/mo they can collect? Yeah, they're going to be rich.

ETA: I won't notice the $2 from my husband's account, but that isn't the point...it's petty. They are charging for ultra basic things that are supposed to be a basic human right of these guys while they are in there. It's bad enough that they aren't supplying basic things like enough toilet paper and (in my husband's case) cool drinking water in 100+ degree heat. THIS IS INSANE.
I, for one, will notice very much these charges. I am on a very limited budget, social security. I send money, because I love my child. I do not send it for the state. That is not $1 per month for visits. It is $1 per visitor over the age of 18, each & every time we visit. My younger son is over 18 & we go together, but that counts as two visits. Will my 5 year old grandchild also count, as his picture is on the visitor pass?
BTW,we give to the fund, they are not to be caught with more than the allotted t-paper or two small bars of soap. If caught during inspection with more, it will be counted as contraband & punished as such.

What can we do? Surely, this is NOT what Statute 945.04 (1) legally states? Is this what was the purpose of this statute? What can we do to fight this now? IDEAS?!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
My husband just told me that it was announced today to the inmates where he is that they are going to have to start paying user fees for "services":

$1/month for medical
$1/month for VP
$1 per DR

(love how they think a DR is a "service")

Those first two fees apply whether you use the "service" that month or not. It will be deducted from your inmate account. If you are indigent and don't have money in your inmate account, they will deduct the $ from your $100 you are eligible to receive at release.

And, how can anyone think that to have visitors is a service? It's not a right, but it surely is not a service?!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I will certainly join any effort to fight this. For one thing, primarily, I do not understand how DOC has ANY right whatsoever to take anything out of their account. How is this possible that they have a right to do this? My Mike has been in nearly a year now and in just that time there have been a few issues cropping up with possible deductions from their accounts, including a monthly fee just to have an account, which was maybe $2.95 a month or so, but that was dropped due to us "on the outside" who stood up against it. I was new to the system at that time, so I am not sure how that was fought, but I totally agree - it is WE who are paying it and WE are all already tax payers, etc. and fund them in many other ways, including kick backs on phone calls, our regular tax dollars, revenue through canteen via the inmate and when we purchase food at visiting, etc. There is nothing fair about charging $1 for VP, either. Most of the inmates don't even have visitors, as we all know. And even for me, Mike is now a 10.5 hour drive one way, so my visits are few and far between right now until he should move. Any given way, this seems unconstitutional somewhere along the line. I don't know what channels to go through to speak up on this, but I am IN! It will be up to us to stand up for this as it is OUR money to start with. I still don't understand how they have ANY right to ever access their accounts?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutemoran2 View Post
I, for one, will notice very much these charges. I am on a very limited budget, social security. I send money, because I love my child. I do not send it for the state. That is not $1 per month for visits. It is $1 per visitor over the age of 18, each & every time we visit. My younger son is over 18 & we go together, but that counts as two visits. Will my 5 year old grandchild also count, as his picture is on the visitor pass?
BTW,we give to the fund, they are not to be caught with more than the allotted t-paper or two small bars of soap. If caught during inspection with more, it will be counted as contraband & punished as such.

What can we do? Surely, this is NOT what Statute 945.04 (1) legally states? Is this what was the purpose of this statute? What can we do to fight this now? IDEAS?!
Hmm...my husband told me $1/mo for the VP in our conversation about it, and he told me that everyone was being charged for it whether they used the VP or not. He said the charge was $24/year plus any DR's for everyone.

And I totally agree that being charged for these things is completely wrong and will be waiting to see what groups such as the ACLU do about this.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Waiting for Mike

And what about double-charging on these fees? They already charge the guys a $5 co-pay for the medical visits!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM
BayBayWife

Thank you for this post my husband just asked me to find out if this was true!!! This is truly crazy. They are charging for everything!! :-(

Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,575 Posts

I was thinking more along the lines of asinine. As stated before, most of these guys don't even get visits....oh, so yeah, let's "fine" the ones who do so we can make the cost of visiting even more ridiculous for the families. Yeah, I get it....NOT!

Can someone please provide a link to this new info?

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM

I just heard this from my boyfriend when he called this evening. He understood the memo differently ($1 per visit, per DR, and $1 raise to all medical visits, making them $6.) so Im going to ask him more about it tomorrow. Either way... I think it's crazy. Just the thought of them essentially paying a fee for their visits is outrageous.

I would love to know who makes and implements these decisions, and stand out against them.
jutemoran2 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
~Missing my Husband~
Donation Award 

I initially first heard about this from Nan's original post late this afternoon, but my husband called me tonight and he, too, told me about this. This is so wrong. As someone else mentioned - they have rationed toilet paper to the point of ridiculousness, taken away napkins, no fans in the sweltering cells/dorms, and now they're being TAXED for medical and visits? I, too, am willing to make calls, write letters/emails to whomever I need to. I need to be my husbands voice and advocate. I can/will no longer sit here, afraid to make any sort of waves for fear he will be punished for it. He's already being punished by what they are allowed to get away with right now.
jutemoran2 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
longing to feel his lips

I'm in for the fight. My husband as well called me and I was completely outraged. I make the sacrifices so he can talk to his daughter before bed each night and we visit regularly. She has special needs and doesn't quite understand any of this. The DOC says they want to promote inmates having a support system in place...Well they have a damned funny way of showing it. Holding a family together is hard enough lets add some more financial stress to that....Maybe they shouldn't have stopped selling tobacco and they could still have the revenue... I'm ready to fight- Does anyone have a clue how to get this moving...let me know....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
~Missing my Husband~
Donation Award 

And another thing - it's not like our loved ones get paid for any of the jobs they have to work. So now by charging these fees - charging the families these fes - they're trying to get water from a dry well.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
longing to feel his lips

Also wonder since the heat is so bad and the inmates are down right sick close to heat stroke now have to pay more due to the conditions they are forced to live in... I agree that my husband is doing time and should not be put in hotel conditions but things are becoming almost inhumane and now they are going to bill them for it...Marisanti I'm ready to be an advocate tooo...Things have to change, but I haven't a clue where to start....I've tried to find the statute or rule and no where can I find it mentioning any of this... I will be calling classification tomorrow!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM

I can understand if they are raising the price of the medical by a $1.00, sure, that is fine. But to charge $1.00 per visitor, each time.. that is not a service.. it is a privilege... and you don't charge for that! If they are going to charge for that, then they better be providing toilet paper, paper towels and a freaking toilet seat in all the bathrooms.. I have been in some that don't have it.. not to mention.. I would like to not have to share the bathroom with the male visitors as well.. and would like to have working vending machines.. all for my $1.00...
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM

I don't want to offend anyone by this statement, so please don't take it this way.. but are we having to have these increases because the STATE has to pay for circus that is going on with the Casey Anthony Trial???? That is costing out State $1000,000.00 .... and counting.. so the money must be made up somewhere.. right take our tax $$$ now charge the inmates....
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Waiting for Mike

Basically what is happening here is that the state is trying to shift to inmates' families the burden of paying for incarceration. But what they forget is that WE DID NOTHING WRONG!!!! I'm tired of being treated by DOC like I did commit an offense. They want to lock my husband up, make him work for free and get up at 4am...well, he committed the offense and so I can't argue too much with that.

But when they start making me pay for his toilet paper and to feed him and just to see him...then they are penalizing ME and I'm already being penalized through the loss of his income and the loss of his services around the house, many of which I am having to pay to replace. So now you want to charge me on top of that, DOC? Sure, I'll just wave my magic wand and make the money appear from thin air...

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
longing to feel his lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
I don't want to offend anyone by this statement, so please don't take it this way.. but are we having to have these increases because the STATE has to pay for circus that is going on with the Casey Anthony Trial???? That is costing out State $1000,000.00 .... and counting.. so the money must be made up somewhere.. right take our tax $$$ now charge the inmates....
Amen!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 PM

I do believe all of what you guys have said.. but I have done a search on the DOC website and don't see anything on this nor do I find it doing an internet search.. can they have done this without even stating it anywhere??? is it coming out of their accounts yet? I can't say, my son just went back, he was in the WRC and there they don't get the $5 medical visits.. and they get furloughs so I didn't "have" to visit him, but he could visit me once a week. As of Friday, he wasn't told any of that.. he is now in CFRC due to being sent back on a DR.. (another story), but has called home and has not said anything about these fee's... so... I too, as Ben's girl was saying, am looking for a link to this... so if anyone has it, please post it...
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Waiting for Mike

It was announced at the camps today apparently, and is effective July 1st.

ETA: Hence our confusion about the details because we are all hearing about it on the phone from the guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
He'll Be Home 4-9-2014
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,450 Times in 430 Posts

This news is absolutely appalling!! More $ out of the families pockets!!! I already send my son $ for food, since he can't stand to eat another smelly rotten potatoe that they serve. He rarely eats any of the meat, he seems to think it may be nutria. He basically lives on ramon soup that they charge .50 a package, and they want money from me to visit my kid? Are they out of their lunatic minds? Tell me who to write. This is outragous!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Does anybody know who proposed these changes? Next we will be paying for every toilet flush. I would like to know when this rule was proposed, and is there a florida statute backing this up, or is it just a DOC rule? The inmates are not the ones being charged, we are!!! Families of loved ones in prison shouldnt be treated as if we're the ones who did something wrong. I realize this is shocking, and many people are angry about these changes. We cant sit back and let the state do as they please. There are many ways to cut back, for instance, there are often 8 and 9 guards in the VP. If our state is this broke, perhaps we are in a bigger mess than we thought. If we are truly that broke, maybe we should follow californias example and start letting them go. We should not be charged to visit our loved ones. We pay our taxes, and that is more than enough. It is up to us to do something about this, if anyone has more info. on the origins of these changes, please reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fed Up with DOC For This Useful Post:
NAN425 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Unhappy Effective July 1st, 2011 D.O.C. charging Inmates Monthly Incurred Costs

Hi all .. I got a phone call tonight from my husband.. He says posted on the inmate bulleton and info. board is a new notice stating that effective on July 1st, 2011....Florida inmates will be charged $1.00 per mo. for health/ medical services, besides their $5.00 visit charge they already incurr, and anyone receiving disciplinary measures will be charged $1.00 per month also..and more yet to come.....Just a heads up for yall... Think of the money they'll be raking in per inmate....I feel bad for the ones who rarely ever get money on their books and bammmm , they'll be hit and won't get what was sent originally to them...

Last edited by Corvettress; 06-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: punctuation