Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM

Thanked 2,753 Times in 957 Posts
Default Weight Watchers

Is there anyone here currently on Weight watchers? I just joined and this time added meetings. Iíve only been to one but Iím liking it so far. They have a lot of zero point foods but am a little leary about that. Things like chicken breast and corn you donít have to track. Nevertheless Iíve lost 5 real pounds since starting so Iím going to stick with it for now. 30 lbs to my goal weight.

Iím so surprised that just 30 lbs over my optimal weight makes me obese. I canít wrap my head around that.

ďAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your ownĒ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-19-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018), WeepingWillow (06-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Thanked 3,396 Times in 1,075 Posts

I’ve been on weight watchers since December 6... right after freestyle started. I only do online, no meetings but I’ve lost 51 pounds so far. It’s defi working for me.

From looking at people’s posts in the forum... it will work, but if you go out of your way to scam the system (like hogging out on zero point stuff and making recipes that are TECHNICALLY zero point but still high calorie) it’s not going to work. Then they complain about not losing weight. Umm... yeah, because you are eating 2000 calories worth of “freebies” every day.

So my advice is to enjoy the zero point foods, BUT respect the intent of the plan.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,046 Times in 6,852 Posts

I went to WW when I was younger and it worked well. When I tried to go back after they instituted the point system, it triggered my eating disorder. :/ Because they encouraged "saving" points for special occasions, I found myself back in the starvation/binge cycle which eventually leads to purging for me.

I think it works if you don't have deep issues around food.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-13-2018), AndyS (06-19-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (06-19-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018), xolady (08-14-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Iíve been on weight watchers since December 6... right after freestyle started. I only do online, no meetings but Iíve lost 51 pounds so far. Itís defi working for me.

From looking at peopleís posts in the forum... it will work, but if you go out of your way to scam the system (like hogging out on zero point stuff and making recipes that are TECHNICALLY zero point but still high calorie) itís not going to work. Then they complain about not losing weight. Umm... yeah, because you are eating 2000 calories worth of ďfreebiesĒ every day.

So my advice is to enjoy the zero point foods, BUT respect the intent of the plan.

Good luck!
Where is this forum? All I see is connect which is basically just a news feed where people post. Not a great system if you arenít on there 24/7.

I get their reasoning with zero point foods but one day I only ate zero point foods. Common sense tells you that you probably shouldnít go ahead and eat your points in addition. The thing is that most people got overweight partly by having no self control so I get why itís hard for some people. They need to be on a calorie restricted diet, imo. That might include me. lol. Iím going to try it for six months and see how I do.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

I find the whole tracking obesity by weight alone to be crazy. I'm 5'4 160 pounds. Mostly flat stomach, muscular, size 7 jeans...and by weight my BMI is considered overweight. I just laugh. I'd love to lose 5 or 10 pounds but I'm not actively trying. I would have to drop to 145 to be just on the brink of healthy weight by BMI weight standard. PS....I don't look very good at 145 LOL! My mom lost a bunch with Weight Watchers when I was younger but she hated the meetings. Thankfully she started living a much healthier lifestyle overall, no drinking, eating responsibly and she's lost 60 pounds.
a.rare.love (08-13-2018), AndyS (06-19-2018), choclgs (06-20-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,159 Posts

I used to do WW after my 2nd child. I think I went to one or two meeting but I did online the rest of the time. I had a lot of success with it and I think it can teach good life-long eating habits - especially that you can eat what you like in moderation, and finding ways to cut back calories to compensate for the things you don’t want to give up.

I don’t do it anymore because I found that the calories points converted to were way too low for my goals (I love heavy lifts and putting on muscle which doesn’t really work without enough fuel), but I think it’s a good program and you can’t beat the support and resources.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
I only do online, no meetings but Iíve lost 51 pounds so far. Itís defi working for me.
Holy smokes, that is an amazing result - congratulations!

Fridyrr.Likn - it sounds like you and I are the same size/body type and I couldn't agree more about those weight charts....I think the best way is to look in the mirror and feel how your clothes feel. I'm in the process of toning up and building up muscle again right now after a break in my workout routines, and I can only say that I am thankful that this is still pretty easy for me even though I'm 50.

I was in Weight Watchers three decades ago but I remember the system being good...I guess it's proof that it is still going strong and people find it useful. For me the turning point a few years ago was when I was using an online calorie calculation program - it may sound like a lot of work but for me tracking information has always been a weird enjoyment....during a course of a year I learned a lot about calories & protein/fat/carbs contents and was surprised that I was actually eating too little considering how much I was working out. Once I balanced all that, I lost 15lbs and have been pretty steady in that weight.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,710 Times in 1,596 Posts

I don't do any of that but I watch what I eat and go to the gym 2-4 times a week (depending on my work-schedule). I try to only eat 2 meals a day (late breakfast in the office and a late lunch/early dinner) and nothing after 5:00 or 6:00 pm - with exceptions of course but only if I go out. Then gym the next day.
I'm by no means skinny, I'm normal with a belly. Can't seem to get rid of it. I hate adhering to programs like WW, I have to figure out by myself what makes me fat and bloated and I'm trying...
I do believe we here in Europe have another and much healthier body-image. And please forgive me for saying this, I never see that many fat people in Europe like I see in the US. As soon as I land in the US it's stretch-jersey and double seating on the plane. It's driving cars everywhere you go and lots of fast food... None walks anymore in the fresh air after a meal, it's right back into the car... maybe that's the infrastructure as well. I walk a lot even while traveling in the US...I get really funny looks... But of course the infrastructure is different in North Carolina than in Boston where I used to live.
I watch people grocery shopping in Walmart and their carts are full to the brim with junk food, frozen stuff and nothing healthy. No fruits or vegetables. Maybe that's North Carolina for you but it's crazy...
I love my Pizza/Pasta and my wine and beer but I alternate with less-fatty food and I don't thrive to be Heidi Klum. I'm very muscular and I'll never be skinny unless I'd stuck my finger in my mouth after each meal... In the US I find that it's either super-skinny or super-fat. Hardly anything in between. It's extreme one way or the other...
I'd rather thrive to be able to still shop at Zara even if it's their biggest size

Last edited by MizzyMuffling; 06-20-2018 at 01:40 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MizzyMuffling For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (06-20-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Fridyrr.Likn - it sounds like you and I are the same size/body type and I couldn't agree more about those weight charts....I think the best way is to look in the mirror and feel how your clothes feel. I'm in the process of toning up and building up muscle again right now after a break in my workout routines, and I can only say that I am thankful that this is still pretty easy for me even though I'm 50.
-YES!! I know when my jeans are a bit tighter than usual....and then I have to ask myself...is it because of a heavy leg day at the gym and I'm swollen? Is it because I'm about to start my period? Is it because of water retention because it's 112 out? Oooooooor is it because last week I had birthday cake for dinner? Haha! But really, I am VERY comfortable with my body. I've had 4 kids and still rock a bikini at the lake or pool and so far nobody has revolted at the sight LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
I watch people grocery shopping in Walmart and their carts are full to the brim with junk food, frozen stuff and nothing healthy. No fruits or vegetables. Maybe that's North Carolina for you but it's crazy...
Oh no....it's not just NC! It's nearly everywhere in America. I have a good friend in Canada and her and I were just talking about how the obesity crisis is slowly making it's way to Canada. What makes me sad/mad is when I see obese parents....who know the pain of being large, not able to do things that they could otherwise, know the ridicule....but they continue that cycle with their children instead of wanting to do better for them. But it's widespread. Children aren't outside playing anymore and they are fed junk. Actually many of us aren't really even eating FOOD anymore...it's food "like" products. And I'm guilty of it too. I sit at my desk right now with a shaker bottle in front of me with herbalife formula 1 and whey protein...that's my breakfast. But it's better than doughnuts I suppose. But we keep a year round garden and my children will eat the vegetables before I can ever get them inside to wash them. My children still ride their bikes every day and we spend a lot of time camping/swimming/hiking/playing. I think there needs to be a balance.

Anyway, I digress. I think nutrition and healthy living has to be stripped down to the very basics. It's not being taught to children at home nor at school so the cycle continues.
MizzyMuffling (06-20-2018), Sarianna (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Anyway, I digress. I think nutrition and healthy living has to be stripped down to the very basics. It's not being taught to children at home nor at school so the cycle continues.
This is what I enjoy about Weight Watchers. To make the plan work, you have to eat real food. Protein shakes, meal replacement bars, smoothies... itís all super high in points. For example... I can eat a nasty meal replacement bar for 7 points.... or I can eat a grilled chicken breast, a spinach salad with a hard-boiled egg, chickpeas, and vinaigrette, and a handful of cherries for 2 points.

If I want a snack, I can eat a ď100 calorie packĒ of chips for 5 points, or I can have Greek yogurt with strawberries and a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips for 2 points.

You want to eat cake? Once you discover that a 2-inch square of cake can be up to 14 points which is half your dayís allowance... it doesnít sound as good anymore.

It works for me because I can HAVE the cake if I want to... but when faced with the numbers, itís easy to turn it down.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
This is what I enjoy about Weight Watchers. To make the plan work, you have to eat real food. Protein shakes, meal replacement bars, smoothies... it’s all super high in points. For example... I can eat a nasty meal replacement bar for 7 points.... or I can eat a grilled chicken breast, a spinach salad with a hard-boiled egg, chickpeas, and vinaigrette, and a handful of cherries for 2 points.

If I want a snack, I can eat a “100 calorie pack” of chips for 5 points, or I can have Greek yogurt with strawberries and a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips for 2 points.

You want to eat cake? Once you discover that a 2-inch square of cake can be up to 14 points which is half your day’s allowance... it doesn’t sound as good anymore.

It works for me because I can HAVE the cake if I want to... but when faced with the numbers, it’s easy to turn it down.
This is spot on. I went grocery shopping and spent two hours picking up food, scanning it and putting it down. The “healthy” balanced break tiny snack tray are 7 points each. When you get 23 you stop buying crap and auto magically start eating healthier. I got sugar free jello and unsweetened applesauce and it’s actually better than their sugared versions and no points. You get a huge dose of reality of what is in the food you used to think was healthy.

Hopefully we can keep the thread on a positive discussion on what’s working rather than trying to figure out why we (or the country) are all over weight. .

I also think Oprah eating bread every day is a bunch of bull.

Last edited by AndyS; 06-20-2018 at 06:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
WeepingWillow (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I got sugar free jello and unsweetened applesauce.
The jello sugar free dulce de leche and dark chocolate pudding cups are worth the 2 points if you want something sweet and richly textured.

Laughing Cow cheese has been a lifesaver... 1 point each. Spread that on 4 Dare GrainsFirst crackers (they are big, hearty crackers) and itís the best 3 point snack ever. I also melt it into my scrambled eggs if I get bored. 2 whole eggs plus a 1/4 cup of salsa with a queso fresco laughing cow is a filling 1 point breakfast.

For lunch I eat chicken taco salad a lot... cubed chicken breast, black beans, corn, red peppers, cilantro, a shot of taco sauce and a tablespoon of fat free sour cream. Itís 1-2 points depending on how much taco sauce/sour cream.

For supper my instant pot gets used every night... I often put a chicken breast and a sweet potato in there. Sweet potatoes are 5 points but sooooo worth it to me. I also use a lot of Thai peanut sauce.

Iíve discovered spices and seasoning while on WW!!! Itís amazing some of the flavors you come up with when you stop relying on sugar, salt, and butter for flavor. Lime juice was one of my favorite discoveries. It can go salty or sweet.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I find the whole tracking obesity by weight alone to be crazy. I'm 5'4 160 pounds. Mostly flat stomach, muscular, size 7 jeans...and by weight my BMI is considered overweight. I just laugh. I'd love to lose 5 or 10 pounds but I'm not actively trying. I would have to drop to 145 to be just on the brink of healthy weight by BMI weight standard. PS....I don't look very good at 145 LOL! My mom lost a bunch with Weight Watchers when I was younger but she hated the meetings. Thankfully she started living a much healthier lifestyle overall, no drinking, eating responsibly and she's lost 60 pounds.
BMI is a ratio related to your height and weight, not just weight. My cardiologist has told me numerous times it is a poor measurement for obesity, but it is what is unfortunately to measure that and overweight. I believe if you have a BMI less than 30 that is a good thing, but less than 25 is even better. But no two people are built the same, so I agree it is a terrible measure as people who are broad are obviously going to weight more than someone who is built more narrow.

As for WW and zero point foods. They will tell you at meetings not to only eat zero point foods. All foods have calories. If you eat too many zero point foods, you will eventually be eating too many calories and go over your points. The whole idea is moderation. At one time I liked the program, but once I started seeing a cardiologist who's specialty is nutrition, he told me a program like WW would never work for me because as it turns out I have a genetic issue where my body doesn't process carbs in the same way as it does for other people, hence I no longer eat carbs. It's a completely different way of thinking as I can eat things like cheese, meat, butter, other fats without issue when I used to not be able to eat them. Unfortunately, I cannot eat breads, pasta, sweets, fruits, potatoes, orange veggies, and a lot of other stuff. It was a huge adjustment, but the results have been amazing and it has worked. As it turns out, it is hardest when visiting my husband because there is basically nothing in the vending machines that is healthy or no carbs, so I either eat junk, or try to think of what has the least amount of carbs. Makes for a hard visiting weekend of food!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
AndyS (06-20-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,159 Posts

I donít understand why we havenít thrown BMI out the window completely. If we have to have a one-size-fits-all chart, I think body fat percentage is way more useful. But BMI takes 2 seconds to figure out, so health care professionals will keep on using it.

I donít even pay much attention to weight, honestly. Unless I become an astronaut or a gymnast or something, how much I weigh really has no bearing on my life. If I was 300lbs and a size 6, id be happy!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
I donít understand why we havenít thrown BMI out the window completely. If we have to have a one-size-fits-all chart, I think body fat percentage is way more useful. But BMI takes 2 seconds to figure out, so health care professionals will keep on using it.

I donít even pay much attention to weight, honestly. Unless I become an astronaut or a gymnast or something, how much I weigh really has no bearing on my life. If I was 300lbs and a size 6, id be happy!
Iím 171 and my BMI is 30. In order to be a ďnormalĒ BMI of 25 I need to weigh 140 which is a difference of 30 lbs. it just doesnít seem to make sense itís that big of a jump from normal to obese. Iím not saying Iím not overweight and need to lose the 30lbs but man when I went to the doctor she just about had me in tears. She spent 20 minutes lecturing me on how I need to cut out all sugar and eat only vegetables, fruit and lean meat. She said the next time I see you I expect you to be 30lbs lighter. Just put the donuts down! Um, I donít even eat donuts. She was so condescending and mean I think I went on a binge for two weeks and gained five more. Thatís why I like the meetings. Even if they lay it on thick and are sugary sweet to you I donít feel like crap when I leave. I never had a problem with my weight until the last 6-7 years. I thought quitting smoking was hard but this is much harder. I canít even look in the mirror anymore because I just hate how I look. I have a whole closet of cute clothes that Iíve traded for three or four shirts that donít make me look like a big fat cow. Itís my own fault so I have no one to blame but myself. I just hope this works because Iím out of ideas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-21-2018), WeepingWillow (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post

Hahaha, who wouldn't be happy if they were 300lbs and a size 6!!

But then, is it all about the size and not the weight? I mean, if you weighed 100lbs but were a Size 16 would that bother you?

But I agree, the BMI is ridiculous. 3 of my kids are narrow built like their father. My daughters are 17 years old, weight 109lbs and 5'5. Their BMI is 17 which comes up as underweight. My youngest son is broad and at 15 probably weighs 160, but is also probably 5'9 now but has a much higher BMI at almost 24 which is normal range. Yes, my girls do look on the thin side, but if he were a few lbs heavier, his BMI would be considered overweight which is ridiculous because he doesn't look it, he's just broad. So yes, stupid measurement. One size doesn't fit all.

Oh and by the way, I remember when I was on WW after I had my first son (21 years ago) and the range for my weight was completely unrealistic. So much so that my internist actually wrote a letter saying what the ideal range for me was so that WW would accept it for when I got into that range. Otherwise, I would have been extremely unhealthy if I even wound up at the top end of that range.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Iím 171 and my BMI is 30. In order to be a ďnormalĒ BMI of 25 I need to weigh 140 which is a difference of 30 lbs. it just doesnít seem to make sense itís that big of a jump from normal to obese. Iím not saying Iím not overweight and need to lose the 30lbs but man when I went to the doctor she just about had me in tears. She spent 20 minutes lecturing me on how I need to cut out all sugar and eat only vegetables, fruit and lean meat. She said the next time I see you I expect you to be 30lbs lighter. Just put the donuts down! Um, I donít even eat donuts. She was so condescending and mean I think I went on a binge for two weeks and gained five more. Thatís why I like the meetings. Even if they lay it on thick and are sugary sweet to you I donít feel like crap when I leave. I never had a problem with my weight until the last 6-7 years. I thought quitting smoking was hard but this is much harder. I canít even look in the mirror anymore because I just hate how I look. I have a whole closet of cute clothes that Iíve traded for three or four shirts that donít make me look like a big fat cow. Itís my own fault so I have no one to blame but myself. I just hope this works because Iím out of ideas.
Your Doctor did that to you? That is terrible. First step to take is to get rid of that Doctor. A Doctor should be compassionate. That is just awful that she would treat you that way. Did she ever consider that there could be a reason you may be a little overweight? Seriously. Has she heard of positive reinforcement?? Did she check your lipids? My triglycerides (not cholesterol) was through the roof when I was pregnant with my twins, it has never really been able to get regulated (never that high again, but always been high) and finally both my brother and internist suggested I see a cardiologist that specializes in lipids. My cholesterol has been normal, thanks to Lipitor, but my triglycerides have been in the 600 range all this time. Again, my Dr. then said he didn't have to run any tests to know I had this gene related to the carbs. And hence, no sugar, not even fruit, no carbs, etc. My triglycerides are now 116. Unreal. I feel great. If I "cheat" I do get a major headache probably equivalent to a hangover. So perhaps your Dr instead of "shaming and blaming" you, should do her job and see if there is a medical reason for the weight. I also have PCOS which is also part of the problem with being overweight, and pre-menopausal which is no friend either. I always loved WW but it just wasn't doing anything for me anymore. This Dr finally told me with my issue a program like that won't work for me. So, pay attention to your body, and if it works, awesome, because it's the best program. But if it doesn't, do NOT quit. But definitely consider quitting that bitch of a Dr.

She obviously missed the class on about being compassionate. Terrible.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-13-2018), AndyS (06-21-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (06-21-2018), Sarianna (06-21-2018), sidewalker (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
definitely consider quitting that bitch
Came here to say precisely this! Man. Iím heavier than you and have been since my 2nd kid was born 15 years ago and never once had a doctor make me feel bad about myself for it.

Was it an older doctor? I think in the medical fields and especially dentistry, thereís been a shift away from shaming. They seem to have figured out that scolding people is ineffective and makes them not want to come back. Theyíve changed to more of a ďcoachĒ type of voice.

Iíve never seen a general practitioner for a physical or to have a baby... maybe thatís the difference. I always go to a CNM. Iím rarely ill so as an adult Iíve maybe seen an MD twice.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
I don't do any of that but I watch what I eat and go to the gym 2-4 times a week (depending on my work-schedule).

I try to only eat 2 meals a day (late breakfast in the office and a late lunch/early dinner) and nothing after 5:00 or 6:00 pm - with exceptions of course but only if I go out. Then gym the next day.

I'd rather thrive to be able to still shop at Zara even if it's their biggest size

I love this, so much we have in common its' amazing! hola chica, i agree Miz.

and i do the same just about, but i walk it off, IF i am splurgin' on extra chee pizza, at times,
1x a month if that, i love it, but only 1x a month or maximum 2x, a month. and i work out regularly,
several x a day or evening after i am done with running mi biz, and or recording etc., writing.
so i can "enjoy!" I do not do WW. . .

I have 1 of mi closest girlfriends who do and a male friend, both enjoy WW,
but had lost alot of weight on it, quick,
while 1 gain it back fast. Now 1 is right back on it. She swear that this time she will not "gain it back" and my motivation is helping her
more this time around.

Mi male amigo, did well and is off of WW for almost now 2 long years or so,and good luck to ALL on WW.
Adios.

Hugs and Blessings,enjoy your evening, as always Miz.

Lead with your MIND + not your heart.
CONSISTENCY,communication"is key.Without action, it just isn't real...

Last edited by a.rare.love; 08-13-2018 at 09:11 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Your Doctor did that to you?

That is terrible. First step to take is to get rid of that Doctor.

She obviously missed the class on about being compassionate.

Terrible

icam, with you chica, on this part in red and blue. #SMDH
adios rock. have a blesse night to everyone.

Lead with your MIND + not your heart.
CONSISTENCY,communication"is key.Without action, it just isn't real...