Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MONTANA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

MONTANA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Montana - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Prison Visitation, Prison Mail & Phones, News & Information, etc.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 PM

Question Son new to prison in Deer Lodge, Montana

I was wondering how long my son would have to serve if he got 20 years with 10 suppened with having to go through treatment for sex offender. and how long it takes to do the treatment. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2004, 08:41 PM

Sex offender treatment usually takes about 6-9 months, depending on their progress with the group. If he got 20 with 10 suspended, more than likely with good conduct he will be up for his first parole hearing in about 2.5 years. Montana is very full now, so don't expect him to stay in DeerLodge for very long, he will probably be transfered to a regional prison, either Shelby or Great Falls. If he comes up for early release after his programs, he may go to the MASC program in Missoula. There he will apply for bootcamp, pre-release or others, depending on the in house probation officer, and the project managers. The average time spent in the MASC program is about 6 months, some longer, some shorter. Unfortunatly sometimes it depends on the amount of money the family or the inmate is willing to put forward towards bootcamp or connections, if he was sentenced to go there. That seems to be the way the system works here. Beds are easier to come by with half of the money down, and they charge so much per day to stay there. They will be required to get a job, which will pay for their "rent" sort to speak. The sex offender programs in Montana are quite good, and seem to have a low "re offender" rate. Hope that this helps.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:41 PM

my friends ex husband spent 5 years in deer lodge for a sex offense and he got 10 years for it. but he only did 5 of the ten year sentence. he did all 5 years at deer lodge.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:34 AM

What I learned from my husband, (he is also in Deer Lodge) is that if your son was ordered to go through sex offender treatment, he will have to stay at Deer Lodge because Deer Lodge is now the only facility that offers the sex offender treatment. Also, did the Judge at sentencing state that your son wouldn't be able to be paroled until finishing sex offender treatment? If that is the case, then it may be a little longer before he can be paroled. There is a long waiting list to get into sex offender treatment in Deer Lodge.
You can also call the prison and ask when his estimated parole date is. That is what I did, they have that information. Just talk to someone in the records department.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM

Also, note that just because he is eligible for parole doesn't mean that he will get parole. Inmates are often turned down at their first and second attempts at parole.

Things he can do to increase his chances at his parole hearing:
1. Complete sex offender treatment as soon as possible.
2. Stay out of trouble.
3. Get a job and keep it. (Save positive evaluations from supervisor.)
4. Have a good attitude (even when he doesn't fee like it. A positive attitude will go a long way at a parole hearing.)
Old 05-14-2005, 11:04 PM

now my husband is my ex but he was sentenced to 10 years but got out in 5 years. he was supposed to take the treatment at deer lodge but he didnt do the treatment and now the prison is wondering how he got out of not taking it. someone messed up on this.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Sometimes the prisons mess up. Janet Cox is the record keeper there and has been known to make mistakes, misplace things, fail to record things, figure release dates on scratch paper during court hearings (until they computerized the release dates), etc.

Did the parole board let him out? Sounds like they messed up too!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 PM

the parole baord let him out. he even got probation for failing to register for being a sex offender. he is back in montana now. so be careful of him. he raped a girl who was mentally retarded.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Lisa_in_California

Exclamation

7 years