Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Default lewisburg federal jail

my husband is in the federal jail in lewisburg and they just got emails and phone calls back now i have verizon home phone service im tryna to find out do i have to set up for a prepaid service or will he be able to call collect straight through my brother is in jail in jersey and hes able to call collect
can someone let me know a.s.a.p if they know anything
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,272 Posts

You might try posting this question in the Federal Forum.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I have question : If my friend use phone card I have to set up my cell phone? ( I used verison ) Do they have any charge for my phone bill if he use phone card?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

No need to set up your phone if they are using a phone card
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

The Following User Says Thank You to msonlydabest For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (05-22-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Default telephone information

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
Hi.
Here, too, I must beg to differ. Pre-paid phone calls are allowed in most, if not all, the prisons. Inmates buy phone time (similar to the phone card concept). They then have the option of pre-paying or calling collect. The pre-pay rate is lower by a few cents. Phone cards can be bought or refilled for $15 to $50 at the commissary.
FYI: cell phones don't accept collect calls dialed directly to them, so pre-paid is the way to go there. They do accept collect calls forwarded from a landline, so long as the landline isn't blocked. (Which may explain why my cell phone rings so much ...
Regards,
bob
For unknown reasons, my home phone is not receiving collect calls. My phone service assures me that I have no blocks on my phone. Apparently, it is the prison's phone provider. I like to find out which phone carrier provides services to SCI-Somerset, Somerset, PA. Can you assist me in obtaining this information? You may e-mail me at (Personal e-mail address removed per PTO policy. Please PM member.) with your answer. Thank you in adavance for your assistance.

Last edited by bobble60; 11-05-2011 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal contact information.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 PM

PTO Moderator 

All PA state institutions are served by Global Tel*Link. If you have not yet set up an account with them, attempted collect calls won't go through. Their published customer service phone numbers are 800-388-7346 and 800-231-0193.
borkenpromises (05-19-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM

My husband just got transfered to Graterford. I have only dealt with County Prison in the past..this is his first "state prison". I know I can set up money onJPay. Is that how he will make prepaid calls to me? I live in Delaware County..anyone know the appox cost per minute. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to get a cell with his area code?? DECISIONS DECISIONS
Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 AM

My husgand just got to Graterford 2 days ago from County. County said his money on his books would follow him. How long till he can call me??? I also put money on JPAY for him to use the phone,
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkenpromises View Post
My husband just got transfered to Graterford. I have only dealt with County Prison in the past..this is his first "state prison". I know I can set up money onJPay. Is that how he will make prepaid calls to me? I live in Delaware County..anyone know the appox cost per minute. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to get a cell with his area code?? DECISIONS DECISIONS
I had used a cell phone with my best friends prison area code and he was able to call it. Was cheaper that way. However, I HATE how they sound, so I prefer land line. I heard and just set up a Google account for phone calls, they say they can call those numbers as well, set it up to his prisons area code. I just did this last night, will be sending him that number as well to try. GTL they say is also a good reasonable option. I too am kind of new to this phone call crap. I was use to just sending him money and he calling straight thru, however, that costs like 5ish bux for 15 crappy minutes. Trying all the cheap route now, lol. I will figure it all out by the time he is released!! lol

Best of wishes!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanked 1,089 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizgirl6469 View Post
I had used a cell phone with my best friends prison area code and he was able to call it. Was cheaper that way. However, I HATE how they sound, so I prefer land line. I heard and just set up a Google account for phone calls, they say they can call those numbers as well, set it up to his prisons area code. I just did this last night, will be sending him that number as well to try. GTL they say is also a good reasonable option. I too am kind of new to this phone call crap. I was use to just sending him money and he calling straight thru, however, that costs like 5ish bux for 15 crappy minutes. Trying all the cheap route now, lol. I will figure it all out by the time he is released!! lol

Best of wishes!!
ichanged my cell nuber to the prisons areacode, our call went from five bucks to like 1.xx something each . he buys phone cards and just calls my number . been doing it that way 3 yrs . never had a gtl account. but my phone is clear as day . maybe there prison phones are crappy or you cell service sucks ???
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Google phone #s shutoff at Mercer

I set up a google phone # to save money on calls from Mercer to Delaware. $3.50 as opposed to $12. He finally got the number added, called me once and it was shut off. He told me everyone else using google phone numbers got shut off too. Why do they give a F@ck how an inmate calls his loved ones ??? Crooked MFers !
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 AM

PTO Moderator 

They "care" because the DOC has an agreement with GTL. Part of that contract is that the DOC will do its best to make sure no one circumvents the GTL rate schedule, which Google Voice does. The DOC's incentive for this cooperation is that GTL pays a percentage of each call back to the IGWF of the prison.

We're stuck with this until legislators take action to eliminate the "kickback" scheme, after which the DOC will shop the cheapest provider.
Jesses Mom (08-28-2012), leeann2010 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Question on SCI Pittsburgh phone calls

My husband was transferred from the county to SCI Pittsburgh. He tried to call once I guess the initial intake call. It didn't go through. I've since set up my phone account any idea when they will allow him to place another call? He will be there a week tomorrow. Or is it possible I won't talk to him until he moves to Camp Hill for classification? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
MistingRiver68

Default looking for a cheaper way to talk to my son

Im am in Erie ,Pa. and hes in Erie county prison I am going through Securus right now, is there a cheaper one? i saw on a website for

jailcallservices.com

and they have this advertised (Regularly $45) SALE $29
UNLIMITED Minutes

is this good?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM

PTO Moderator 

More like "too good to be true."
leeann2010 (02-21-2013), MistingRiver68 (02-11-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Exclamation HELP!!! NCIC Inmate Telephone Services Question

Help!!! I live in the outskirts of Pittsburgh and my boyfriend was transferred from Allegheny County Jail to Renewal. Renewal uses a different phone company (NCIC Inmate Telephone Services) from the jail and the calls are very expensive. I live 15 minutes top from Renewal and last night the phone calls were 8.50. I could see if I was in a different area code or it was long distance but it's not. My boyfriend calls me a lot, at least 8-12 times a day, which I love hearing from him! Can someone help me out with a cheaper solution?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM

PTO Moderator 

If you already have a number which is local to the facility, then the rate can't get any lower. (I had the same problem when men and women are transferred to halfway houses in Philadelphia ... $15 for 15 minutes.)

Some halfway house residents are allowed to have cell phones. He should ask Renewal. Otherwise, it would be cheaper for him to leave the center and find a pay phone.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
All PA state institutions are served by Global Tel*Link. If you have not yet set up an account with them, attempted collect calls won't go through. Their published customer service phone numbers are 800-388-7346 and 800-231-0193.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was searching for. My son is moving from county to state, and I wasn't sure if the Global Tel-link account would still be what's needed. I'm posting this comment in June 2017, so if the information has changed, I hope someone will update it. Otherwise I'll just assume GTL will still work....
Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJohnston View Post
Thank you, that's exactly what I was searching for. My son is moving from county to state, and I wasn't sure if the Global Tel-link account would still be what's needed. I'm posting this comment in June 2017, so if the information has changed, I hope someone will update it. Otherwise I'll just assume GTL will still work....
The information you are going by is too old to be reliable. The phone carriers change a lot and what you should do is go to Penn DOC site HERE and read on how to set up an account with Securus (scroll down the page).
Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM

PTO Moderator 

the first time your son attempts to call, you will get a long recording and then a courtesy one-minute conversation with him.

Within the recording are the instructions leading to the website for Securus. You can then select the type of account you want and set it up. It's quite simple.
waitinguntil001 (06-26-2017)