Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, Corcoran (SATF)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, Corcoran (SATF) Topic and discussion specific to CSATF- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility located at Corcoran State Prison in California.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 AM
Account Closed

Default Jpay Email at satf

Jpay Email for satf d yard have u tried it and what is ur review on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Is your question about Jpay email messaging in general, or specifically about how it works at satf ?

I don't have any knowledge about SAFT but I use Jpay to email a couple of my penpals. In general, it works pretty good, but it can be frustrating at times.

When things work well a message will get through quickly, sometimes in less than an hour. At other times the messages can be delayed. I believe this is a function of the facility and that each facility has its own policies and implementation of those policies.

Just like regular mail, the Jpay emails may be read by the correction officers. I suspect that they would scan the letters looking for keywords, but it still may take time. How diligent they decide to be and the staff workload can effect how long the messages are delayed.

Emails to my penpal in Kentucky generally get through the same day, sometimes in less than an hour. Occasionally there will be a delay over the weekend, as if the entire process was blocked on Saturday and Sunday.

Emails to my penpal in Michigan are currently being delayed up to a week! Messages from the inmate to me come quickly, but my messages to the inmate are delayed.

While email is great for rapid communication it does have drawbacks. Some facilities allow the inmates to have 'tablets' where they can read and compose their messages in the cell / dorm. If the facility doesn't allow the tablets (many don't) or if the inmate can't afford one then they have to use the kiosks. depending on the size of the facility and the number of kiosks there can be a long queue to get onto a kiosk. They have very limited time (15 minutes) so it can be difficult for them to compose a long message.

A good old 'snail mail' letter might be better for them. A letter on paper can be read any time they want. Pictures sent on photo paper can be looked at whenever they want, not just when they can log on to a kiosk.

So my suggestion is to use a mix. Send short messages with current events via Jpay. Send the multi-page heartfelt letters snail mail.

R. Mc.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Account Closed

Thumbs up

Thank u for ur input and you are right in getting the hang of it and we have a lot of glitches with the kiosk machine so our emails are delay from him to me me to him so I will continue to write mail the old fashion way again thank u and I hope u have a good day
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc50 View Post
Is your question about Jpay email messaging in general, or specifically about how it works at satf ?

I don't have any knowledge about SAFT but I use Jpay to email a couple of my penpals. In general, it works pretty good, but it can be frustrating at times.

When things work well a message will get through quickly, sometimes in less than an hour. At other times the messages can be delayed. I believe this is a function of the facility and that each facility has its own policies and implementation of those policies.

Just like regular mail, the Jpay emails may be read by the correction officers. I suspect that they would scan the letters looking for keywords, but it still may take time. How diligent they decide to be and the staff workload can effect how long the messages are delayed.

Emails to my penpal in Kentucky generally get through the same day, sometimes in less than an hour. Occasionally there will be a delay over the weekend, as if the entire process was blocked on Saturday and Sunday.

Emails to my penpal in Michigan are currently being delayed up to a week! Messages from the inmate to me come quickly, but my messages to the inmate are delayed.

While email is great for rapid communication it does have drawbacks. Some facilities allow the inmates to have 'tablets' where they can read and compose their messages in the cell / dorm. If the facility doesn't allow the tablets (many don't) or if the inmate can't afford one then they have to use the kiosks. depending on the size of the facility and the number of kiosks there can be a long queue to get onto a kiosk. They have very limited time (15 minutes) so it can be difficult for them to compose a long message.

A good old 'snail mail' letter might be better for them. A letter on paper can be read any time they want. Pictures sent on photo paper can be looked at whenever they want, not just when they can log on to a kiosk.

So my suggestion is to use a mix. Send short messages with current events via Jpay. Send the multi-page heartfelt letters snail mail.

R. Mc.
Thumbs up
Thank u for ur input and you are right in getting the hang of it and we have a lot of glitches with the kiosk machine so our emails are delay from him to me me to him so I will continue to write mail the old fashion way again thank u and I hope u have a good day
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message