Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Men’s Colony (CMC) - San Luis Obispo
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Men’s Colony (CMC) - San Luis Obispo Topic and discussion specific to CMC – California Men’s Colony Prison in San Luis Obispo, California.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Why would someone be put on a Crisis bed?

Hi everyone, quick question. Why would someone be put on a crisis bed? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,663 Times in 8,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpyacymmzy View Post
Hi everyone, quick question. Why would someone be put on a crisis bed? TIA.
This info is a bit old (2009), but I would assume the general purpose still stands:
Mental Health Crisis Bed Placement
• Marked Impairment and Dysfunction in most areas (daily living activities, communication and social interaction) requiring 24-hour nursing care; and/or:
• Dangerousness to others as a consequence of a serious mental disorder, and/or dangerousness to self for any reason.
• These conditions usually result in a GAF score of less than 30.
All inmate-patients admitted to a MHCB are discharged within ten days, with scheduled appropriate clinical follow-up, to outpatient care or the general population or are transferred to DMH inpatient care. Stays of over ten days must be approved by the Chief of Mental Health, or designee. The MHCB also provides short-term inpatient care for seriously mentally disordered inmate-patients awaiting transfer to a hospital program or
being stabilized on medication prior to transfer to a less restrictive level of care.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (01-14-2019), Sarianna (01-13-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
This info is a bit old (2009), but I would assume the general purpose still stands:
Mental Health Crisis Bed Placement
• Marked Impairment and Dysfunction in most areas (daily living activities, communication and social interaction) requiring 24-hour nursing care; and/or:
• Dangerousness to others as a consequence of a serious mental disorder, and/or dangerousness to self for any reason.
• These conditions usually result in a GAF score of less than 30.
All inmate-patients admitted to a MHCB are discharged within ten days, with scheduled appropriate clinical follow-up, to outpatient care or the general population or are transferred to DMH inpatient care. Stays of over ten days must be approved by the Chief of Mental Health, or designee. The MHCB also provides short-term inpatient care for seriously mentally disordered inmate-patients awaiting transfer to a hospital program or
being stabilized on medication prior to transfer to a less restrictive level of care.
Thanks Miamac. Is there a way I can find out why someone was placed on a crisis bed? My significant other was placed on one. He gave me very few details and also said that he's a little confused as to why they transferred him. There's a possibility that he isn't being honest as to why he was placed on a crisis bed but I would still like to know. I know that since we aren't legally married, even if I call, they aren't going to tell me anything but is there a way to get around it (for example, if his siblings or mom calls instead of me)? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Site Moderator

Unfortunately, even family members aren't told much. They cite privacy and safety concerns. If you have a signed release from him on file and a HIPPA waiver, then they might tell you.
You can try contacting the ombudsman for their facility and asking for them to do a wellness check because you are concerned. They may or may not do it, and they may not tell you much more than you already know.

From what I see, it's a temporary hold (crisis bed). He may have exhibited signs or said something that made staff feel that he was a danger to himself. If that's the case, after the ten days he should be re-evaluated and if no threat exists he'll return to his regular housing.

Do you have visit options? It might be best to try to talk to him in person when you're able.

Best of luck, I imagine this is quite upsetting/confusing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (01-14-2019), Sarianna (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Unfortunately, even family members aren't told much. They cite privacy and safety concerns. If you have a signed release from him on file and a HIPPA waiver, then they might tell you.
You can try contacting the ombudsman for their facility and asking for them to do a wellness check because you are concerned. They may or may not do it, and they may not tell you much more than you already know.

From what I see, it's a temporary hold (crisis bed). He may have exhibited signs or said something that made staff feel that he was a danger to himself. If that's the case, after the ten days he should be re-evaluated and if no threat exists he'll return to his regular housing.

Do you have visit options? It might be best to try to talk to him in person when you're able.

Best of luck, I imagine this is quite upsetting/confusing.

Thank you. Yes, this is quite frustrating as I have no idea whats going on and why. Unfortunately, I have no idea if he has a signed release and HIPPA waiver on file. I will have to ask him the next time he calls. I will also try contacting the ombudsman and see if I can get any information on him.

I had to move back to the midwest for support so visiting anytime soon is also out of the question.
The Following User Says Thank You to mxpyacymmzy For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
I had to move back to the midwest for support so visiting anytime soon is also out of the question.
I completely understand. I hope you're able to find some concrete answers and let us know when things have updated. Hang in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (01-14-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, this is quite frustrating as I have no idea whats going on and why. Unfortunately, I have no idea if he has a signed release and HIPPA waiver on file. I will have to ask him the next time he calls. I will also try contacting the ombudsman and see if I can get any information on him.

Crisis beds are normally for those who are suicidal or make threats of suicide for some reason. Normally they will have little contact with anyone until they are evaluated and released back to their house, or kept on watch until safe. If there was a signed medical/mental health form on file to release information to you, you could get information even though you are not married. No one can get information without the release- not even family. And the release has many sections to be checked for medical release reasons. So if you guys get one in the future, be sure to have him check all boxes if he wants you to be able to get any information. There are ones for medical, mental health, etc. A crisis bed would fall under mental health.
The Following User Says Thank You to comehomesoon For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (01-21-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Hi, so I'm back. He's been out and placed back in his regular housing for about two weeks now. However, I just received a letter from him saying that they're placing him in EOP? Can someone give me or help guide me in the right direction on finding more information about that? Thank you so much in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to mxpyacymmzy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,521 Times in 627 Posts

He was in crisis bed, other posters have given reliable answers. He had an episode, psychiatric bed till he stabilized. After something like that, it is unlikely they just put him back into general population. CDCR has, I believe 2 levels of psych care programs (in addition to crisis bed) - CCCMS (Clinical Case Care Management System) and EOP (Enhanced Outpatient Program). I'm gong on memory on those names, but I think that's right.

Anyway, CCCMS is lower level care. Most prisons in CDCR have CCCMS yards. EOP is higher level care. Not all prisons have EOP yards. So he might be shipped somewhere if his prison does not have one.

I don't know what they do on EOP yard. No doubt more people wandering around calling themselves psychiatrists seeing the inmates more often. Programs perhaps less or different than on GP. Like all CDCR medical over cautious meaning he might be there longer than needed and they'll give him more meds than he might want, combined with generally under qualified treatment. Better for him, though, than going straight back to GP. He needs to settle in and stabilize.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-13-2019), mxpyacymmzy (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM

My friend was transferred last summer from CIM to a crisis bed at CMC. He had some PTSD issues, apparently. After CMC, he went to VSP for a few weeks, then a state hospital. He is now at VSP, and is fine. He is on EOP, but trying to get out of that program. Not sure if that helps, but inmates must meet certain criteria for a crisis bed, similar to someone on the outside being place on a 5150 hold.
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkylark For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks gvalliant. He was placed on CCCMS a while back and has been on it. Makes sense why they would put him on EOP.

Spunkylark, that does help a lot. At least I now have a little but of sense of how it can turn out for him. Thank you.

Would you or anyone happen to know which facilities have an EOP yard and how that works?

He also mentioned something about the SHU... would anyone know how the SHU and EOP together works? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM

I only know that VSP has an EOP yard. I can ask him how it works when I speak to him-not sure why anyone would need a SHU after being in a crisis bed-it would seem to me that they would stay in a crisis bed until stable. A SHU would seem inappropriate, unless they remained suicidal...
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkylark For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Thank you, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm unsure as to why they would either. That's all he said. He didn't explain exactly why and what not. Hopefully he'll write me explaining a little more.