Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California Topics and Discussions related to Corcoran State Prison (COR) located in Corcoran, California.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Default Hunger strike at Corcoran State Prison?

Does anyone know about a hunger strike at the Corcoran State Prison? I know they had one earlier in the year. Is it still going on?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,077 Posts

Hi ADmom - I moved your post to our COR forum so that you might get better responses

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
ADmom (07-04-2019), sidewalker (07-05-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:31 PM

Hi, I hope you have more info now on where your husband is going. My son was at DVI in Tracy for almost 5 months before going to Corcoran State Prison. He has only been there a couple of months. He is also a Level 4 and his previous time he was a level 2. He has had a drug addiction problem. I pray he is ready for a change after 2 years sentence this time. This prison and level is pretty rough. There was a hunger strike going on in his area when he arrived so he only had 1 sandwich a day unless he bought food at the store which is not open every day. I ordered him some food from one of their venders on July 4th and it was shipped and he still hasn't received it yet. I guess it's sitting there somewhere. I wish they could give it to him. Well, I hope your husband gets put at a good place, although I am not sure any prison is good, so I pray for the best possible one. Hang in there and love on your little blessing from God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstxxx View Post
thank you guys for all your help. yes unfortunately this is not his first time. Just my first time going through it with him, and now with our 8 month old son.. thank you guys for the support and help, i appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,671 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADmom View Post
There was a hunger strike going on in his area when he arrived so he only had 1 sandwich a day unless he bought food at the store which is not open every day.
Those on hunger strike refuse all food and are written up for participation in a strike. Canteen isn't allowed and neither is food from packages. I believe there was/are a handful of inmates playing at a hunger strike, but no official strike protocol has been put in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 AM

So that explains why he hasn't received the quarterly package. He did say they may have to eat the food from the kitchen that the SNY inmates contaminate with bodily fluids. Pretty gross. He just got there and said he has to participate. I understand he has a choice, however, he is white and a minority there and doesn't want to get in a fight. He has been set up before and he doesn't want to be a target again. So ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Those on hunger strike refuse all food and are written up for participation in a strike. Canteen isn't allowed and neither is food from packages. I believe there was/are a handful of inmates playing at a hunger strike, but no official strike protocol has been put in place.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,133 Times in 15,544 Posts

**He did say they may have to eat the food from the kitchen that the SNY inmates contaminate with bodily fluids. **

Well this sounds strange. More like a rumor going around.
At least I hope it is.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
So that explains why he hasn't received the quarterly package. He did say they may have to eat the food from the kitchen that the SNY inmates contaminate with bodily fluids. Pretty gross. He just got there and said he has to participate. I understand he has a choice, however, he is white and a minority there and doesn't want to get in a fight. He has been set up before and he doesn't want to be a target again. So ridiculous.
I'm going to be as gentle as I can here, but mom...sometimes people play games. Inmates without anything better to do especially play games. If they're pressing up on your son and telling him to participate because he's a minority, that's not actually how it works. Race is a loyalty issue in prison. So let's assume the Latinos are striking and your son is white. Prison politics give him an out. Now they could make it hard for him, but there are things that don't make any sense-- and I mean NONE:
They're a level 4. SNY and GP don't mix. Not on the yard, not at work. So there's no one spitting in anyone's food except maybe their own people. So that's conflicting issue #1.

Conflicting issue #2...when there is an actual hunger strike, administration is involved because federal guidelines dictate how a hunger strike is to be monitored, punishment enforced up to and including forced feeding. This isn't something guys can just decide to do one day or for one meal. Heck, staff are often instructed to removed hygiene from their cells so they can't eat the toothpaste. That's the level of serious we're talking about. My husband participated in a hunger strike in 2008 because of loyalty issues. He'll have to address that write up at his parole hearing. Again-- hunger strike? Very, very serious.
That isn't happening. Last report was that men were still showing up to chow/getting trays, store wasn't closed to them and there is no admin oversight. If the issue they're supposedly striking over is the integration of SNY/GP (which is my understanding from your post), that's not happening on level 4 yards at any facility.

Bottom line-- I'm not saying your son is lying, but rather that he's being jerked around. I'm explaining this to you because I don't want you to be under the wrong impression about what it means to have the words "hunger strike" thrown around casually. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe there are a few jackwagons inside also throwing around the term, but either they completely misunderstand what it means as well, or they're messing with people. A hunger strike to address integration would be much, much larger with more organization. And yes, they can do it. Read here about the 2013 hunger strike to address SHU practices.
Tell your son to eat. Avoid the clowns that are playing at grown men games and that his package is probably there and if he doesn't have it by a month from order date, he can ask R&R about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 04:14 PM

Thank you for explaining stuff! I guess I was not clear in my post. It's not an integration matter of SNY and GP. He was told that the inmates who work in the kitchen and are SNY hate the GP and vice versa. Maybe it's called a "protest" and not a "hunger strike". We are new to this. It is just in his area, not institution-wide. When he first arrived he was told to not eat the food because SNY kitchen workers were putting gross stuff in the food, and that a sandwich was brought to them. Maybe its a joke being played on him. I don't know. My son lost weight pretty fast and when he was allowed to go to the store he bought 100 pks of ramen noodles. I ordered him a quarterly package of noodles, granola bars, cereal and coffee. I don't think he would lie to me about this because I have sent him food before. He has not lost any priveledges. He is big on working out and maintaining his weight. He is very strong. I will tell him that he should ask about the pkg because it was shipped on July 4th. I know he is learning how to be and act and a positive is that he is learning to control his mouth and his actions. Not the best way to learn, but some people have a really hard head! He is 35 and I pray he is ready to work on himself now. He's supposed to come live with us in CO in 2 years when he gets out. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me.

[
QUOTE=miamac;7786498]I'm going to be as gentle as I can here, but mom...sometimes people play games. Inmates without anything better to do especially play games. If they're pressing up on your son and telling him to participate because he's a minority, that's not actually how it works. Race is a loyalty issue in prison. So let's assume the Latinos are striking and your son is white. Prison politics give him an out. Now they could make it hard for him, but there are things that don't make any sense-- and I mean NONE:
They're a level 4. SNY and GP don't mix. Not on the yard, not at work. So there's no one spitting in anyone's food except maybe their own people. So that's conflicting issue #1.

Conflicting issue #2...when there is an actual hunger strike, administration is involved because federal guidelines dictate how a hunger strike is to be monitored, punishment enforced up to and including forced feeding. This isn't something guys can just decide to do one day or for one meal. Heck, staff are often instructed to removed hygiene from their cells so they can't eat the toothpaste. That's the level of serious we're talking about. My husband participated in a hunger strike in 2008 because of loyalty issues. He'll have to address that write up at his parole hearing. Again-- hunger strike? Very, very serious.
That isn't happening. Last report was that men were still showing up to chow/getting trays, store wasn't closed to them and there is no admin oversight. If the issue they're supposedly striking over is the integration of SNY/GP (which is my understanding from your post), that's not happening on level 4 yards at any facility.

Bottom line-- I'm not saying your son is lying, but rather that he's being jerked around. I'm explaining this to you because I don't want you to be under the wrong impression about what it means to have the words "hunger strike" thrown around casually. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe there are a few jackwagons inside also throwing around the term, but either they completely misunderstand what it means as well, or they're messing with people. A hunger strike to address integration would be much, much larger with more organization. And yes, they can do it.
Tell your son to eat. Avoid the clowns that are playing at grown men games and that his package is probably there and if he doesn't have it by a month from order date, he can ask R&R about it.[/quote]
Old 08-03-2019, 09:33 PM

This is a notice put out by the IFC....

HUNGER STRIKE

The IFC was informed by Corcoran State Prison administration, this week, that Sacramento will be drafting a response to the public regarding the hunger strike at Corcoran State Prison. The Prison informed IFC that the IFC would be provided more information once it is received from CDCR Headquarters in Sacramento.

IFC was informed that Corcoran State Prison is not the only Prison in the state that SNY (Special Needs Yard) inmates are preparing food for other yards within the Institution. Some other prisons include High Desert State Prison, Stockton and Salinas Valley, to name a few.

Corcoran explained to the IFC that the only reason why this is done is due the inmate workforce constantly being interrupted by lock-downs on certain yards. If the inmates on those yards do not show up for work in the kitchens (because of the interruptions/lock-downs, etc) it makes it very difficult for the prisons kitchen job(s) to be completed and the food to be prepared.

Corcoran informed IFC that out of all the inmates on 3C - 1/2 are not accepting breakfast trays but they are accepting their sack lunches and canteen. IFC Chairman asked about dinner meals and Corcoran Administration will provide the IFC info regarding dinner meals.

IFC will stay in contact with Corcoran State Prison administration and do our best to provide the family, friends and loved ones affected by this issue as much as possible.

If you have questions please contact the Corcoran-IFC directly at ifc.corcoran@gmail.com

Quote:
Old 08-04-2019, 06:51 AM

Donation Award 

So where did you find this memo? I tried to look to see if its posted on the cdcr website for news releases and cant find a webpage for ifc for corcoran. ??
Also what is the date on this notice? Is it current?

Adding, I also moved this post to the Corcoran forums. (it was getting too much off topic to the original question)

That's my dog's nose art

Last edited by sidewalker; 08-04-2019 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 AM

It was posted July 12, 2019 on the Corcoran Family Council Facebook page. If it's fake, then whoever wrote it described exactly what my son told me. Thank you for moving the post. I am still new to how this works.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADmom For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
So where did you find this memo? I tried to look to see if its posted on the cdcr website for news releases and cant find a webpage for ifc for corcoran. ??
Also what is the date on this notice? Is it current?

Adding, I also moved this post to the Corcoran forums. (it was getting too much off topic to the original question)
This is not from CDCR and so no, CDCR is not calling it a hunger strike - this seems to be posted on the Corcoran Inmate Family Council's Facebook page on July 12th, and as per the first chapter, they are just saying that CDCR has promised to get back to them (the Family Council) about this issue. The title and content of this post (on FB and now here on PTO) is from the persons involved in the Inmate Family Council, not from CDCR --- so the HUNGER STRIKE title of this Facebook post...is not something that has been posted or commented on by CDCR (tried scrolling the FB page of this group but didn't find any additions to this post after 7/12)

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Donation Award 

Only thing I can tell you is from what my hub said. He was an sny inmate at cci.
He told me level sny yards would prepare ALL food for ALL levels, including their own level/yard.
This was before they began intergrating yards.

Reason sny inmates were being used for food prep is because they were typically not involved in as much work stoppage, fights, prison politics. (I said typically, of course not the rule in all cases..)
Now I dont know if this is the case with Corcoran (one level of sny inmates preparing food) but if the yard there is what they are calling a non designated yard (gp and sny mixed)
it would seem to me that a mix of inmates would also be working in the kitchens.
Wouldnt it? So why would they do as is being suggested and contaminate the food?

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Corcoran explained to the IFC that the only reason why this is done is due the inmate workforce constantly being interrupted by lock-downs on certain yards. If the inmates on those yards do not show up for work in the kitchens (because of the interruptions/lock-downs, etc) it makes it very difficult for the prisons kitchen job(s) to be completed and the food to be prepared.

Corcoran informed IFC that out of all the inmates on 3C - 1/2 are not accepting breakfast trays but they are accepting their sack lunches and canteen. IFC Chairman asked about dinner meals and Corcoran Administration will provide the IFC info regarding dinner meals.
So inmates are not accepting food prepped by SNY inmates who have to be called in because their own (presumably GP) workers are on lockdown or have refused to work. I'll just let that sit there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-04-2019), sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Quote:
So inmates are not accepting food prepped by SNY inmates who have to be called in because their own (presumably GP) workers are on lockdown or have refused to work. I'll just let that sit there.
Amen

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-04-2019), sidewalker (08-05-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Yeah- I don't know. We are new to this. This was happening when he arrived. He has been in a prison once before, a level 2, for 10 months. I guess he is on a learning curve. He def is learning to control himself, which is a good thing. His main problem is drugs so I am praying he figures out this is not how he wants to live and change things before he gets a much longer sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADmom For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-05-2019)