Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Default HELP!! He's reporting tomorrow, what do we need to do?

At 2:30 hubby and I were outside and apparently the phone rang and a message was left by his PO. We noticed the machine at 3:30.... at 4 she finally returns his call.... Her story is that there was some alleged "miscommunication" and he was to report to Forrest City Arkansas LAST Friday. So now he has to be at the probation office tomorrow morning at 7 am to get his monitor off and we head to Arkansas, a 5.5 hr trip.

Of course I have to map things out and will be on the BOP site looking things up but I'm looking for quick information on the prison as well as exactly what he's allowed to have with him.... what we can expect....etc.

I've been here for a while dealing with things and doing them one step at a time... we were told we'd have time for this step.... of course that didn't happen!!!!! Help!
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,297 Times in 12,848 Posts

The only thing he will be allowed to keep are one pair of eyeglasses (that he has to say are worth less than $100.00) and "legal paperwork". Anything else, including his clothes, will have to be mailed home or "donated", whatever that means. Legal paperwork can usually include a list of names, addresses and phone numbers, plus a list of his RX medications (not the meds themselves). Since that depends on the CO who is assigned to do his intake you should also mail him the same information immediately.

Any prescriptions will be dealt with initially during his intake meeting with a medical staffer. That will determine what meds he will get until he meets with the regular medical staff during a "callout" a week or so later. That meeting will decide what prescription drugs he will receive.

He will need to have money available within a few days, and wiring it is the quickest way for him to have access (but not the least expensive which are US Postal money orders; any other MOs are held for 15 days).
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

He is lucky that you can still drive him to the prison. The usual fallback when dealing with POs is to be turned over to the US Marshals for transport.

He may be able to call you from his counselor's office, but he won't be set up on the inmate telephone system for up to a week. He has to give his counselor a list of every phone number he is allowed to call, which must be approved. Then he has to wait to receive his telephone pin number in the mail, and satisfy the system's voice recognition setup. Once that happens, he can use the phone to switch money from his commissary account to purchase prepaid phone minutes, or call you collect (that phone must be able to accept collect calls). If he is permitted email, he will send you an invitation message that you must reply to, so be sure to check your spam and trash folders too.

That covers what he can expect to happen right away.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 08-12-2019 at 05:34 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (08-12-2019), miamac (08-12-2019), sidewalker (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Thanks... We've been going over the BOP handbook for there which I'm sure "candy coats" things and makes them sound better but at least he'll be a bit prepared.....

Nothing like having 15 hours to prepare for this and supposed to sleep some too!!

Can I assume that I'll be able to drive up to a gate before dropping him off? Or at least a parking lot to say our goodbyes??
fbopnomore (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,240 Times in 7,895 Posts

I don't have any practical advice, but good gravy I want to offer my apologies for the way this was handled. I can only imagine how frantic this must feel. Hang in there and I'll be watching for updates as your able.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I don't have any practical advice, but good gravy I want to offer my apologies for the way this was handled. I can only imagine how frantic this must feel. Hang in there and I'll be watching for updates as your able.
This whole thing has been a mess.... 18 months between search warrant and arrest.... 15 months on house arrest and 24 hour notice to be 340 miles away!!

Not to mention I just realized that he just simply said Forrest City.... They have a camp (which I'm sure he won't be at), a low and a medium all at same address. For the love of God I hope it's not the medium since the BOP site says that visitation is suspended "until further notice." I'm going to stick with believing it'll be low since there's twice as many inmates in the low than the medium.

Thankfully my bosses are totally amazing. They were like everyone else in first responding with "WTF?" and asking if it's even legal how they are doing it but never once flinching in letting me know I will have the next two days off at the very least. I was already off today so in a sense I got what I asked for... the day before, the day of and the day after.... just not the way we planned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-13-2019), miamac (08-12-2019), sidewalker (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM

The only good thing is that I don't have time to wallow in self pity tonight.... We've gone through the handbook... the commissary list so I have an idea on what he'll need and what it costs. Still have to cut his hair before he showers and shaves.

Our 25 year old son works third shift and is meeting us at home after he turns in his monitor and going with so that I have a second driver. He wants to stop for a "last meal" of some sort. The PO said he has until 4pm to get there so we should be good as long as we don't hit any major construction.
sidewalker (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,240 Times in 7,895 Posts

I'm guessing maybe they all have one receiving location? I don't know. Is it possible to call the PO from the road and verify or is that something they don't know until he arrives and is placed? Gosh, so much thrown at you but you're right. No time to freak out. Just get it done, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-13-2019), Girl22472 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,873 Times in 15,412 Posts

Im sorry for all this.
How nerve wracking!! I'd be a basket case. For sure.
I hope today goes ok.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 AM

I can’t imagine your stress and anxiety level over this. As much as it is causing you at least he gets to self surrender. My son is currently in a county jail under federal custody for God knows how long. His sentencing has been delayed. Working on a sentence plea a lighter sentence in exchange for full restitution. Our attorney tells us this could drag on for 1-2 years.

He won’t be allowed to self surrender so once he is finally sentenced he will be transported by the us Marshall service which in of itself could take months until he arrives at federal prison wherever that may be.

At least he bypassed that. My son is adjusting but the whole diesel therapy ordeal has him petrified
The Following User Says Thank You to chel62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,398 Posts

A little more notice would have been nice, but sounds like you have it under control. One thing you can do on the drive is put together an address book, including email addresses and telephone numbers. You'll have to mail it to him, but you can do that after you drop him off, so that he'll have everything in a couple of days. Contact requires BOP approval, except for mail, so he'll need that info for making the request. Hope it's all smooth sailing until you get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Also remember that him being able to contact you depends totally on the bop staff, constant understaffing problems and vacation time can slow things even further. He will contact you as soon as they let him.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Default HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
At 2:30 hubby and I were outside and apparently the phone rang and a message was left by his PO. We noticed the machine at 3:30.... at 4 she finally returns his call.... Her story is that there was some alleged "miscommunication" and he was to report to Forrest City Arkansas LAST Friday. So now he has to be at the probation office tomorrow morning at 7 am to get his monitor off and we head to Arkansas, a 5.5 hr trip.

Of course I have to map things out and will be on the BOP site looking things up but I'm looking for quick information on the prison as well as exactly what he's allowed to have with him.... what we can expect....etc.

I've been here for a while dealing with things and doing them one step at a time... we were told we'd have time for this step.... of course that didn't happen!!!!! Help!
I AM AN EX FEDERAL INMATE AND A FED SENTENCING AND PRISON CONSULTANT [removed per PTO policy] Whatever questions you have please post here and let me know if you need help... I can give you pretty precise info but please keep in mind the wardens at different facilities do have slightly different rules even though most facilities its the same since the FEDS like to keep things unified...

Last edited by miamac; 08-13-2019 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: please review PTO policy, no directing to outside websites. thank you!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Default surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I'm guessing maybe they all have one receiving location? I don't know. Is it possible to call the PO from the road and verify or is that something they don't know until he arrives and is placed? Gosh, so much thrown at you but you're right. No time to freak out. Just get it done, right?
when you get there just walk in the front door of the prison just like any visitors would be going and he will self surrender there...
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Default self surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The only thing he will be allowed to keep are one pair of eyeglasses (that he has to say are worth less than $100.00) and "legal paperwork". Anything else, including his clothes, will have to be mailed home or "donated", whatever that means. Legal paperwork can usually include a list of names, addresses and phone numbers, plus a list of his RX medications (not the meds themselves). Since that depends on the CO who is assigned to do his intake you should also mail him the same information immediately.

Any prescriptions will be dealt with initially during his intake meeting with a medical staffer. That will determine what meds he will get until he meets with the regular medical staff during a "callout" a week or so later. That meeting will decide what prescription drugs he will receive.

He will need to have money available within a few days, and wiring it is the quickest way for him to have access (but not the least expensive which are US Postal money orders; any other MOs are held for 15 days).

He is lucky that you can still drive him to the prison. The usual fallback when dealing with POs is to be turned over to the US Marshals for transport.

He may be able to call you from his counselor's office, but he won't be set up on the inmate telephone system for up to a week. He has to give his counselor a list of every phone number he is allowed to call, which must be approved. Then he has to wait to receive his telephone pin number in the mail, and satisfy the system's voice recognition setup. Once that happens, he can use the phone to switch money from his commissary account to purchase prepaid phone minutes, or call you collect (that phone must be able to accept collect calls). If he is permitted email, he will send you an invitation message that you must reply to, so be sure to check your spam and trash folders too.

That covers what he can expect to happen right away.
Have him go to western union online and send himself $300 several times and keep it in his account in prison.. He will need his name and inmate number where he can find on bop inmate locater websites. Also, he can bring his legal work, eyeglasses, a wedding band without a stone, and a religious cross. All he has to do is tell him that each item is worth less than $100. Oh he can also bring with him any medication he needs and they will probably take it and reissue him BOP approved medication so if its a name brand they will change it to the generic stuff they use. He can also bring a CPAK breathing machine with him..

But having money in his account the day he surrenders is important. As soon as he gets there most facilities have 1st time shopper he can go and buy some cloths toiletries, and some snacks... So make sure you make these deposits via western union asap they will be available for him within and hour of you doing it... Without it he wont be able to call, email, or anything..

let me know what else you would like to know..
The Following User Says Thank You to nycHarry For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 PM

On one of his legal papers you can write names phone numbers address and any other info he will need in there.. to contact all of you... He can bring it in with his legal work.. they usually dont say anything about that... He will need all the contact info to include it in his TRULINKS (the inmate email and phone system) that the BOP uses to be able to call and email..which again he needs funds to do this... so FUNDS being deposited today before he gets there is very important!!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM

Default contact you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
A little more notice would have been nice, but sounds like you have it under control. One thing you can do on the drive is put together an address book, including email addresses and telephone numbers. You'll have to mail it to him, but you can do that after you drop him off, so that he'll have everything in a couple of days. Contact requires BOP approval, except for mail, so he'll need that info for making the request. Hope it's all smooth sailing until you get there.
He will be able to contact you the next day after he gets in so if he self surrenders today he wont be able to make a call till tomorrow.... But please keep in mind also, that depending on the facility he goes too they may put hi in the SHU (Special Housing Unit) for a few days cause they have to do a TB test. But not all facilities do that.. They usually do this for inmates that are coming right out of the street most others are incarcerated straight from court and are usually in a detention center, county jail, or private jail while fighting their case so they go right to a POD or a unit.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM

Thanks for all of the replies and help. I'll reply more tomorrow about the "adventure." My head is pounding and my heart is hurting. Time to put this day to bed and start fresh tomorrow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019), miamac (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanked 1,608 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycHarry View Post
when you get there just walk in the front door of the prison just like any visitors would be going and he will self surrender there...
In my husbandís case he self surrendered to a different building than where visitors go so this isnít exactly the best or most accurate advice. Also, they had us park our car in the lot after having us drive up to the admin building and then a CO came out to talk to us. Every prison is different so unless someone has been to that particular one or is familiar with it, I donít think she should make that assumption. Itís hard enough in the spouse. Best advice is to show up and have them tell her where to drop him. Fortunately itís over now and heís there but the anxiety of unknowing can be through the roof!
Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 AM

Thanked 1,608 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycHarry View Post
He will be able to contact you the next day after he gets in so if he self surrenders today he wont be able to make a call till tomorrow.... But please keep in mind also, that depending on the facility he goes too they may put hi in the SHU (Special Housing Unit) for a few days cause they have to do a TB test. But not all facilities do that.. They usually do this for inmates that are coming right out of the street most others are incarcerated straight from court and are usually in a detention center, county jail, or private jail while fighting their case so they go right to a POD or a unit.
Again, this is also not the same at every prison. My husbands didnít send anyone automatically to the SHU and they didnít make them get a TB test right away either. They also donít necessarily get access to the phone, email or commissary on day 1. It all depends on when they get set up in the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

nycHarry: Most of your advice may be accurate for NY prisons, but it isn't for federal prisons where this guy is now a new inmate. Yes he may have access to his money relatively quickly; some bop commissaries even allow newbies to shop out of sequence as soon as they are issued their ID card by writing "first time shopper" on their commissary order. But phone and email access require a process that often can take up to a week regardless if they have money or not. I described it in #2 above.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Again... I want to thank everyone for their responses and help. It was a very long trip.... 6 hours each way by the time we stopped for gas and restroom breaks. Our son went with us so it helped, especially with the driving. We had planned on stopping to get something to eat but no one's stomach was feeling it and we kept putting it off so much that before we knew it we were on the road to the prison and that was it!!

Forrest City has a camp, low and medium all together and he wasn't informed before he went where he'd be going for sure. I was mostly certain it would be the Low since I've heard SO's don't generally go to the camps and didn't expect the Medium. The BOP site was updated today to confirm he's in the low.

On the way down the lawyer called me. I had left him a message the night before on his machine telling him what was going on. He was never fond of the PO either that was in charge. He said he hadn't gotten anything and said he's sure that the "miscommunication" was once again due to the PO since they said again yesterday when he SS that they expected him last Friday. But... she's in our past now thankfully... There is a chance he could get her when he gets out for a little bit but he'll more than likely get another one we met and know at least at first.

The prison had a parking lot so we drove in there, got out and said our goodbyes and then our son walked in with him. I had sent him with like $20 in case he could have it since some can. I only did that little because if they didn't let him then I was only out that temporarily and I was already planning to go to WU immediately when we left. We did wire money before we left Arkansas. He was able to keep the paper that had names, numbers and email addresses on it as well as what his medications are.

I'm not sure obviously when he'll be able to call or email. I'm just glad we got all of the things done we wanted before this was sprung on us. I wanted to pay my vehicle off and did that last week and we had some things we needed done at the house so at least those were done. Now it's just getting used to a new normal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (08-14-2019), fbopnomore (08-14-2019), miamac (08-14-2019), sidewalker (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

All SOs in federal prison receive a "public safety factor" which means the lowest security level they are eligible for is low security. The bop does have a couple of "camps" that are rated as lows, but they are not easy to get into. I actually spent the majority of my 5 year prison sentence in FCI Mediums, and preferred them to either of the 2 lows I was sent to.

If the PO was assigned to "pretrial services", you are done with her unless she transfers to the post prison group. The actual PO that he is assigned definitely matters, same rules, but completely different enforcement. The PO assignment is totally up to the office supervisor, and usually changes frequently.

The trip was challenging, but what he, and you, had to endure is 100 times better than if he was forced to be transported by the US Marshals. Plus his "custody score" will be lowered (which doesn't really matter much because of the public safety factor) because he was allowed to "self surrender".

Once he becomes acclimated to prison, life should become easier for him.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
All SOs in federal prison receive a "public safety factor" which means the lowest security level they are eligible for is low security. The bop does have a couple of "camps" that are rated as lows, but they are not easy to get into. I actually spent the majority of my 5 year prison sentence in FCI Mediums, and preferred them to either of the 2 lows I was sent to.

If the PO was assigned to "pretrial services", you are done with her unless she transfers to the post prison group. The actual PO that he is assigned definitely matters, same rules, but completely different enforcement. The PO assignment is totally up to the office supervisor, and usually changes frequently.

The trip was challenging, but what he, and you, had to endure is 100 times better than if he was forced to be transported by the US Marshals. Plus his "custody score" will be lowered (which doesn't really matter much because of the public safety factor) because he was allowed to "self surrender".

Once he becomes acclimated to prison, life should become easier for him.
I totally agree. While we have said had he been arrested and stayed inside from the time this started it would nearly be over already... but we also knew that was not completely an option and we were able to be more prepared, especially me. It would have been way worse considering I didn't work and was in a home I could't really afford.

As far as the PO goes, apparently there is a chance we'll get her again. Last week another PO came to the house that we had met before but he was just doing a check for her. We discussed things and he stated that in a perfect world they had the pre-trial, post-trial... release PO's but that doesn't always happen and they have all been saddled with all kinds of cases. He also said the First Steps put a lot on them too and overloaded them. Worse case scenario he gets her again later for a short while and she has more experience in these cases under her belt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019), sidewalker (08-15-2019)