Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Louisiana that do not fit into any other Louisiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Thumbs up Louisiana Members_Please Respond

Hello out there

To all of the Louisiana members, can we please try and share more with each other. I am learning a lot from members in other states, but I think that we need to get our story out a little more. There is so much that is going on, and we need so much assistance.

You all know that Louisiana has different laws from other the other states, so we really need to share with one another. I just want to get us started.

Please let's start sharing...thanks...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tippy For This Useful Post:
bad_girl_bex (07-02-2017), missbon (06-22-2012), Shine0749 (10-23-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 AM
MsRaymond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy
Hello out there

To all of the Louisiana members, can we please try and share more with each other. I am learning a lot from members in other states, but I think that we need to get our story out a little more. There is so much that is going on, and we need so much assistance.

You all know that Louisiana has different laws from other the other states, so we really need to share with one another. I just want to get us started.

Please let's start sharing...thanks...
hi tippy. i agree with you. i thought i was the only one felt that way about the little information we have here in louisiana. it is sad how you can get so much information on loved ones incarcerated in *other* states online very easy, but here you can't even get it over the phone. and that is very true how every state law is different. i'm slowly gainning information on my loved one incarcerated here in louisiana. i just assumed that some of us louisiana members don't share stories cuz we really don't have much to share because we are just as lost as the next person. but i check this forum daily to see if any related news has been posted, but none yet. again, i agree with your post and will keep posting when i hear of something, but louisiana information is pretty much as dead as our forums. sad but true
Old 06-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Talking

Thanks for responding MsRaymond! I will be closing on our house this Thursday and moving this weekend, but I will gather together some information to share with everything.

I will also try and start some threads related to different issues. Thank you and have a wonderful evening!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Ok ladies, let's get things started now......batter up......
Old 06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,952 Times in 7,347 Posts

Well, I check here every day, but ......right now I'm at a loss. Louisiana cares so very little for their inmates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Geauxin'KraZee (02-17-2011)
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 AM

I also check in everyday, and if I have any new info I pass it on.

It's so hard to get any info, and most people I've met while visiting my husband do not even know as much as I do, and I've been helping them too.

I believe Louisiana does this on purpose, keeping everything close to the vest.

This forum has become more active in the last few months, but nothing like other states. You would think that it would since Louisiana has the highest incarceration rate. Oh well.

I'll continue to check and pass on any info I have.

Angela

Till I pick him up!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to adbrick For This Useful Post:
bad_girl_bex (07-02-2017)
Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

If we could share WHAT we KNOW about the facilities that we've visited here at PTO and build up this forum with our knowledge (and believe me, my knowledge of LA is very limited), we can make it a much better source of information on the Louisiana systems and prisons.

It all starts here with us, ladies (and gents too, of course)!!! Let's get to sharing!!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Elizabeth

I agree with everyone. I share whatever information I may have and try to answer whatever questions I can. In my opinion I think we are all learning as we go and are all in the same boat when it comes to the Louisiana justice system. Also, I have noticed that its not just that LA is different from other states, but also that each individual facility is different from the next. So it gets confusing and hard to distinguish what applies to who and where.

Another thing i noticed about our forum is that its the same people who actually post comments or questions. It seems to me that the LA forum is one of the smaller ones because not everybody who visits shares. If everyone would get involved then our knowledge base would grow.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Just a thought for those of you that visit regularly at LA facilities - there is a flyer for PTO that you can print and hand out. Spread the word to those that you are waiting in line with about PTO - let's build this forum up and get some fresh blood in here too.

Here's the PTO Flyer thread if anyone's interested in getting the world out.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Sharing information in LA

Hello everyone,

I live in LA and it is hard to get information. I have a son who is in a private prison. Some of the private prisons abide by DOC regulations and some do not. I have had all kinds of experiences with the system, in different parishes. First, Caddo, very regulated, very secure, everything by the book, visiting not very good as no contact visit. Avoyelles Parish (Marksville) no contact visits, both of the above talk on phone and stare through glass wall. Avoyelles Parish would let you send packages by mail. SW Correction Center at Basile, visiting by contact, but so many people in the visiting room, difficult to hear. Reception area has very courteous attendants. Very strict on visiting rules. Now, we move on somewhere else, which goes by DOC regulations. Visiting twice a month, contact visit. The DOC facilities seem to be the best, but are so overcrowded.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet nothing
Now, we move on somewhere else, which goes by DOC regulations. Visiting twice a month, contact visit. The DOC facilities seem to be the best, but are so overcrowded.
Which DOC facility (private prison) are you referring to?
Old 07-01-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Response to Doingtimeinlove

Which DOC facility (private prison) are you referring to?__________________
I am referring to Pine Prairie.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet nothing
Which DOC facility (private prison) are you referring to?__________________
I am referring to Pine Prairie.
ok thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Thanks Kat...I have printed out the flyer and will place it on the vehicles on my next visit to Angola...I will continue to do this until I am sure that I have reached a number of individuals...thanks a bunch
The Following User Says Thank You to tippy For This Useful Post:
bad_girl_bex (07-02-2017)
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM

First off sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I've had a lot going on, life has pretty well been a nightmare and doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon. Second, I agree with YOU all about the information situation, I feel totally lost!!! Is there anyone that has a man at Winn Correctional in Winnfield, LA???
Old 07-08-2006, 06:26 PM
hous1

Default Step Up!!!

Yes Louisiana needs to "step it up"!!!!!!!! This forum needs to unite and help provide more information on Louisiana institutions. Any way I can help; just let me know!!!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 PM

I know I'm a duck out of water...but what info is needed.... K's been in for 8 yrs in LA....I'm sure I could get some info from his family if I knew the right questions to ask....I know...I'm totally stupid when it comes to all of this.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:44 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Fizz - anything that you know about the units he's been at would be great! From visiting info, dress codes, programs for our loved ones, etc....

There is so little available on the LA units - we are working now on a project for this forum to get more info here. DoingTimeInLove is very busy on this as her first project as an RA - I'm sure she'd appreciate anything that anyone can add about any unit - parish or state level.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Elizabeth

It would be wonderful if anyone would pm me or post whatever information they may have on the facilities they have come into contact with. I'm going to do my best to pull information from whatever sources I can come across, but here at PTO we have the largest source of all. So if we can all come together, let me know what's the rules and regulations ya'll have experienced and at what facility. I'll try to get this information out to ya'll as soon as I can. Thanks so much for the support and help !!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Just a note to Elizabeth's request for info.....if you have any info for her on the facility(ies) you visit or have visited in the past, please post them in her thread Louisiana Facility Information Needed - this way it will all be in one place for her to access.

Thanks everyone - looking forward to what you can tell us about your loved ones units.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks Kat!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 PM

I absolutely agree that we need to step up our Louisiana forums. It's not easy to find out about hardly anything regarding DOC, and asking for information is like asking for a kidney. Especially in La, we need to help each other because the system isn't going to. I've had to do some serious research to be able to find out simple info that other states readily supply to the public. Louisiana seems to be stuck in the dark ages and I doubt it will change anytime soon. The only resource that we have is each other and PTO and its up to us to make it a better resource for others that desperately need information. I've done alot of research regarding the Louisiana legal system and studied hundreds of case law. I want my husband home and I know the only way that's going to happen before 2015, is if something changes in Louisiana. And the only way for that to happen is for the people of this state to demand for those changes. If no one ever says anything, why would the legislators of this state bother with making the changes that are so desperately needed? The longer we sit with our mouths closed, the longer we'll sit and wait. I'm in Texas but the love of my life is in a Louisiana prison 250+ miles away for 15 years for a victimless crime. I've been told so many stories about the injustice that has gone on in the La legal system and nothing gets done about it. I would be more than happy to provide any information I can regarding the legal sytem here. Lousiana uses a different legal system than any other state and so its impossible to compare another state's laws with the Louisiana's. It's been this way since the Louisiana Purchase and won't be changing anytime soon. Communication in the Louisiana forum is vital, otherwise what's the point?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:28 PM

Default What kind of info?

My fiance is at Catahoula and has about three monts to go. He has done time at LaSalle as well. What kind of info are you looking for? Does anyone have info about Catahoula? Can anyone explain the different types of facilities that are in La? He says Catahoula is a dorm with about 130 inmates, a bunch of bunk beds in a warehouse and all they do all day is nothing. They don't have to work or do anything constructive, so they just sit around. I know it's not supposed to be a country club, but shouldn't there be some more constructive options?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighterdaze
My fiance is at Catahoula and has about three monts to go. He has done time at LaSalle as well. What kind of info are you looking for? Does anyone have info about Catahoula? Can anyone explain the different types of facilities that are in La? He says Catahoula is a dorm with about 130 inmates, a bunch of bunk beds in a warehouse and all they do all day is nothing. They don't have to work or do anything constructive, so they just sit around. I know it's not supposed to be a country club, but shouldn't there be some more constructive options?
My BF said the same thing about West Baton Rouge Parish. He says they aren't required to do anything! So he sleeps ALL day and writes letters all night.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighterdaze
.Can anyone explain the different types of facilities that are in La? He says Catahoula is a dorm with about 130 inmates, a bunch of bunk beds in a warehouse and all they do all day is nothing. They don't have to work or do anything constructive, so they just sit around. I know it's not supposed to be a country club, but shouldn't there be some more constructive options?
Unfortunately, the way it seems to me is that this is how the majority of the facitlities are. Louisiana does not provide much rehabilatative services unless you are housed in a state facility. Most of the facilities are either locally ran or satallite camps. Some may have a few educational programs or work options. I am working on a project that will list each facility at the state and local levels, thier addresses, phone numbers, visitation rules and regulations, educational programs, rehabilatative services, and whatever else I can locate on each facility. From what I can find so far.. it seems like the majority of LA prisons/jails/detention centers are the warehouse dorm type.