Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 AM

Exclamation Help? Proper Medical Care?

My friend is in the MSP. He had been in Boot Camp up til 2weeks ago. I found out he had been having seizures off and on the past month. He was well liked by staff and was within 1 month of completing the program. Now because of the seizure issues, he cant go back.

I am a Registered Nurse, as such I know when something requires more in depth care and how fast it needs looked into. Well now my friend has weakness and numbess specific to his right side only. The doctors at the prison and local hospital supposedly ruled out a stroke. Now my friend is back in intake until they figure out what they are going to do with him. I talked to a case worker that indicated that it could be almost July before my friend could get out. And he was I month from prerelease before all this happend.

So now my friend is sitting in intake since last week. He says that he hasnt seen a doctor since let out of the infirmary last week either. No physical therapy was prescibed to deal with his weakness, paralysis. He is locked up for 23 hours each day. His mom called who she knew in the state offices. She told me just to let the system work. She says that he will get proper care.

I have concerns to when and if he will see a neurologist. He was in top physical shape to go to Boot Camp, now he has weakness and paralysis. I dont want to make waves or slow down the process of his relaase or whatever. What should I do?

Last edited by 2nmb2think; 05-08-2007 at 03:32 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM

You need to get him to sign a release so you can talk to the doctors and then stay on top of it. The medical people should be able to get the document to him. I do not know how Montana is but in TX there is a patient liason whom I started a formal investigation. There is also the ACLU. I am fighting every day so my husband gets his medication (hopefully soon...its been 2 weeks...no pain meds nor his shot - enbrel). He is supposed to finally see a doctor tomorrow but it has taken him complaining on the inside and me on the outside. Its very time consuming but something one must do.
Tina
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM

This may not be what it is but my husband had somewhat the same thing. It turned out to be a brain tumor in the left temporal lobe. He had one in 1999 and had completed his chemo and radiation. With this one he had no headaches, dizziness or anything like that. Just this numbness and weakness his legs and finally went as far as he nipple area. It took them so long to get him help that by the time they finally saw he was in trouble he could no longer walk. He has since had surgery (again( and more chemo and radiation. He was just released from the hospital after spending 66 days. He still has to go back for more chemo, and and he has to be checked daily because he has a port cath in his chest. He is weak and lost almost 30 lbs this time. I called, wrote and e mailed anyone and everyone until they were tired of me. Since the Feds took over and I contiuned to write them letter after letter he was finally given the treatment he needed. You need to keep on top of this and try and call and write letters about it. Letters go a long way to helping.