Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of South Dakota - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Prison Visitation, Prison Mail & Phones, News & Information, etc.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:01 PM

Default South Dakota State Penitentiary

If anyone has any questions about the Pen (called "the Hill"), or Jameson Annex at SDSP, I'll answer what I can about the place, or refer you to someone else who might be able to answer questions I can't. I'm no "expert," but my husband is 5 years down, most of it spent at Jameson (which is Ad Seg and Maximum, as well as Death Row), so I am familiar with many of the rules, regs, and personnel.
Kandi
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Missing u so bad!

thanks for your offer Kandi.I'm thinking about a page with prison profiles for my web site, so I might contact you about this later
*I was at my lowest & had thrown in the towel 2 surrender. I got knocked down & was out 4 the count. Ironically-u stepped n-2 my corner after the knock down.U never saw how good of a fighter I could be and u still had faith in me*
Old 09-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I Love my Mikey always!

Hey do you know what day is the actual parole day for the hill this month (Sept). My man goes up this month and I need to take it off from work but all I can find is that its the 20-24 but what day is the hill? Thanks

Ashley
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 PM

Hey Kandi would you happen to know any way to help me get approved to visit my boyfriend/fiancee? They keep denying me b/c of my criminal background, which, is nothing all too spectacular but they seem to think it is. I think there is more to it then they are telling me. I just feel like they're not being totally honest with me. You know how we women just have that 6th sense about things? But these things they are holding against me are almost 10 yrs.old & I've only had a minor traffic violation since & nothing else. Totally turned my life around, am in college studying criminal justice, chemical dependency, etc. but we have a son together & this is the main reason I would like to be able to visit. He needs to see his daddy. Any suggestions? I'm open for anything. Thanks!
Dawn
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Anyone still around to answer questions? I have a bunch of them.

Thanks,

Dottie
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM

I have a question that I have little hope regarding, but anyway...one of my best friends (since youth) is going into his 19th year of a life sentence - I know "everyone is innocent" - I'm not saying he was innocent, in general, but the crime he was charged with was not just and the prosecutor even admitted as such (after he left office) - my question - is there any hope for him getting out? or is life, life??
Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 AM

I'm not sure if this thread is still 'live' but I have a question. I'm trying to write to the guys on death row but the DOC website doesn't quote their inmate numbers. Do you need them on the envelopes for the letters to be delivered to the men, and if so, where can I find them?
Thank you
Old 07-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I'm not sure if this thread is still 'live' but I have a question. I'm trying to write to the guys on death row but the DOC website doesn't quote their inmate numbers. Do you need them on the envelopes for the letters to be delivered to the men, and if so, where can I find them?
Thank you

Hi there I believe mail will still get to them without their inmate #.I am not sure how to locate and inmates number in SD unfortunatly.I am sorry I can't be of more help

I looked at the website again and it states

How do I send in mail to an inmate in prison?

Address it to the inmate's name and prison identification number, if known, and include the address of the prison which they are assigned to.

Correspondence must bear the name and full address of the sender on the outside of the envelope/package. Nick-names and aliases will not be accepted as the name of a sender.

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 07-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg
I have a question that I have little hope regarding, but anyway...one of my best friends (since youth) is going into his 19th year of a life sentence - I know "everyone is innocent" - I'm not saying he was innocent, in general, but the crime he was charged with was not just and the prosecutor even admitted as such (after he left office) - my question - is there any hope for him getting out? or is life, life??

I am sorry I can't answer your question as I do not know much about life sentences,you may want to try our lifers forum and someone may be able to answer your questions.Welcome to PTO

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sunshine
Hi there I believe mail will still get to them without their inmate #.I am not sure how to locate and inmates number in SD unfortunatly.I am sorry I can't be of more help

I looked at the website again and it states

How do I send in mail to an inmate in prison?

Address it to the inmate's name and prison identification number, if known, and include the address of the prison which they are assigned to.

Correspondence must bear the name and full address of the sender on the outside of the envelope/package. Nick-names and aliases will not be accepted as the name of a sender.
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Ex-Felon

Default A life sentence in South Dakota is just that LIFE

South Dakota has no parole dates for a life sentence. On rare occations and many years of incarcerations the governor has communted sentences for model behaved inmates who have been in a very long time. But before any chance of a sentence cut can happen the inmate must admit guilt to the crime. Just recently a female inmate in for murder. Debra Jenner was recommended for a sentence cut. Since the first day of her incarceration she has claimed innocence. Well now at last 20 years later she finally admits that she murdered her young child. And she got a sentence cut.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Default South Dakota State Pen

Can anybody tell me about the incarceration in the South Dakota State Pen at Sioux Falls? For the crime of rape? My ex-husband was recently sentenced (under a plea agreement) for raping his 2nd wife. He was sent to the pen at Sioux Falls after a lengthy psycho-sexual evaluation. He had to admit to the rape to get the plea agreement. On the side, away from the lawyers, judges, and doctors, he is still denying it happened. Anyway, my question is this: Are sex offenders segregated at the prison? Are they all together in a special section away from the general population? The reason for the question is this, as bad as it sounds, I would get some satisfation out of somebody picking on him for a change and giving him a taste of his own medicine. He did all of the same exact things to his second wife as he did to me. I was going to testify against him if it went to trial, but he plead instead, got his lovely face on the South Dakota Sex Offender Registry. I just want to think that if he was in general population he might be brought down a notch and change his ways when he gets out. He always was the Big Bad A_ _ wife beating cheauvinistic (spelling) type, and he needs to stop his crap. He is 49 and just threw his whole life down the toilet. You know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks! So, what's it like in the Sioux Falls Pen for a sex offender? I would like to hear from somebody who knows.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Ex-Felon

Going to prison will definetly bring him down a notch or two. About one third of the prison population is in for or have been sex offenders. Their isn't a protective custody unit in the system anymore. They did away with it a few years ago. However at the Springfield prison. Two dormatories are especially for sex offenders. Unless he got a large sentence, over 10 years. He probably will be housed in springfield within one year. For him to get paroled. He will be required to take the sex offender program. He will be required to give detailed information on his crime. If he doesn't take the program or is kicked out of the program. And if he doesn't fully admit to the crime. He will NEVER be paroled. He will have to serve his entire sentence. I suspect part of his plea bargin is a suspended sentence. And one of those terms of the suspended sentence will be to abide by all recommendations of the department of corrections. So if he doesn't take the S.T.O.P class, they will revoke any suspended time. The S.T.O.P calls is Specail treatment of predators. Hope this helps. Shoot me an email if you have further comments or questions.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...2d53ac70fa.gif

1986 until 2002

S.D.S.P, Jameson Annex - The day it opened, The West farm, Springfield, Yankton & Redfield. Many good friends still incarcerated.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 AM

I have done a few years in the South Dakota Pen and was just realeased a month and a half ago, if anyony one has questions about recent practices shoot me an email at (email removed per PTO guidelines,please send member a PM), I usually check it daily.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandi WT View Post
If anyone has any questions about the Pen (called "the Hill"), or Jameson Annex at SDSP, I'll answer what I can about the place, or refer you to someone else who might be able to answer questions I can't. I'm no "expert," but my husband is 5 years down, most of it spent at Jameson (which is Ad Seg and Maximum, as well as Death Row), so I am familiar with many of the rules, regs, and personnel.
Kandi
would like to know all you can tell me my son was just sentenced on oct 18 2010 to 3 1/2 yeras dont know where he is going yet am very scared for him thanks
worried mom
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Teri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Thank you
No you don't "need" to have them but it does help the mail get to them quicker if you know their # and housing unit.

Teri
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Teri

You can also get the inmate numbers by calling the prison itself.

Teri
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Questions about "The Hill"...

Quote:
Kandi

My son has been sentenced to 10 years at "The Hill" in Sioux Falls,SD. What kind of place is it? We live in Texas. So far away..Anything you can relate will be appreciated.Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,182 Posts

Hi there... I don't see the OP coming back to this thread any time soon but I can try to help. I've been a teacher on the Hill for several years. It's not such a bad place to be. It's pretty safe and calm. Do you know if he will be in general population or in Jameson? Oddly enough, the Jameson annex is somewhat more comfortable, even though Jameson is the higher security unit, because the Hill is a very old stone building that is damp and cold in the winter and hot and muggy in the summer. Jameson and C-Unit (CRP or work release) is newer and air conditioned in some places.

Do you have any specific questions? I will try to answer!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Default Yes i have a question

[quote=Kandi WT;1485]If anyone has any questions about the Pen (called "the Hill"), or Jameson Annex at SDSP, I'll answer what I can about the place, or refer you to someone else who might be able to answer questions I can't. I'm no "expert," but my husband is 5 years down, most of it spent at Jameson (which is Ad Seg and Maximum, as well as Death Row), so I am familiar with many of the rules, regs, and personnel.
Kandi[/QUOTE

Hi my son just got sent over to the penn he has been in mike durfee almost 5 years now. He broke a major rule what I don't know yet, anyways he was put in the east hall what is that like? ]
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Ex-Felon

[quote=tburke;7216563]
Quote:
Kandi[/QUOTE

Hi my son just got sent over to the penn he has been in mike durfee almost 5 years now. He broke a major rule what I don't know yet, anyways he was put in the east hall what is that like? ]
The hill this time of the year sucks. No AC. East hall is as good a place as any on the hill. East hall is usually the older crowd who just want to to do their time. West hall has the crazies and problem inmates. It's no cake walk like Springfield. But if you mind your own business and obey the rules. All will be fine. If he behaves he should be able to return to Durfee in 6 or 12 months.
Personally I prefer the hill over Springfield.

1986 until 2002

S.D.S.P, Jameson Annex - The day it opened, The West farm, Springfield, Yankton & Redfield. Many good friends still incarcerated.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Kandi
Do you know how the West hall is set up? My brother hung himself and that's where he was being held. I heard that the West hall is for inmates with mental illnesses and such and shouldn't be in a cell or in a cell by themselves for that exact reason. I gem the prison is hiding something from us.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Do you know anything about the West hall? How is it set up? Ate they put in cells? Etc.....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Ex-Felon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistak514 View Post
Do you know how the West hall is set up? My brother hung himself and that's where he was being held. I heard that the West hall is for inmates with mental illnesses and such and shouldn't be in a cell or in a cell by themselves for that exact reason. I gem the prison is hiding something from us.
East and west hall have about the same cell size. Federal hall which is basically between east and wall has slightly small cells. Plenty of people have hung themselves in east and federal hall. West hall in generally safer because it's smaller. I believe only 144 cells.
Yes west hall has many of the mentally ill. But not all. It also has most of the kitchen workers. Unless you are doing a life sentence or have some medical condition. Everyone has a cell mate. Some cells even have triple bunks.
I just got a letter from a friend in west hall today. Wow they get 45 cable tv channels now. Used to be only 10. With that many channels and you can go to the library almost every day. It should be easy time. The trick is if you can stay out of the drama! Always drama, politics and other b.s going on in prison. You can choose to get involved or you can choose not too.

An easy way to look up an inmate's location is by going to https://www.caringpacks.com/ create an account and look them up. You can even send them a monthly care package if you wish.

1986 until 2002

The Following User Says Thank You to Torch For This Useful Post:
Kistak514 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Would you mind asking your friend about Corey Rhodes? He hung himself in prison Nov. 30th 2012. They said he hung himself with a sock from his bed. And that he was in the cell by himself. He was like 6 ft tall. I can't imagine how he could have done it from his bed. Also I heard they are not suppose to be in the cells by themselves. I don't understand how no one seen or heard anything. I feel like the prison is hiding something. They believe he was hanging 20 mins before they found him.