Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantLudd View Post
Do you have any recent experiences of how GTL works out with Offenderconnect and international calls??
I'd like to set up an account so my friend in Caliofrnia call call me to Sweden. Minute rates are expensive, but it seems like perhaps GTL now may accept phones that is connected to the broadband and not only old style conventional land lines (that is outrageously expensive to install if you haven't got one). At least I have not found any information yet that contradicts that it should be possible. On the signing up page for international calls I'm asked if I have a local US number so it makes me think they accept services that provide you with a US phone number even if I'm calling from another country...
Or is this just my optimistic thinking and not reality?

PS I have given up earlier on trying to set up an internation phone connection because of a number of issues that made it impossible.
Try Google voice for getting a local number. I'm not certain how it works internationally, but its worth a try.https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en
I use OffenderConnect. It's the same fee as GTL charges. There is no fee if you mail the advance payment in. It takes a a few days for local payments to process, not sure how the international accounts work. I know they will only hold the funds for 30 days. If the account is not active for that period, they just take it. A lot of people have had issues with that, me included, because in many of the US States, there is usually a 60 - 120 day processing time when being transferred between the county facility to a sate facility. Currently, GTL monopolizes the phone service in this state. It's not such a surprise that they get away with robbing the inmates LOs, look how the state handles their own affairs...
G'luck
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Default GTL

Has GTL increased their phone rates? My calls used to cost $1.78 and tonight, I had only $.84 left on the account after a total of 6 calls...

Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,272 Posts

My last calls from GFRD were the same as all the others have been. Log in to offenderconnect.com and check your "recent activity."
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM

Default Phila Prison System-same problems with GTL!

Hi Brown Eyes and all, We are new to all of this and it's the exact same scenario trying to set up calls to our cell phones for my son to be able to call his fiance's cell phone, my husbands cell or mine! We ended up putting out $250 between the 3 phones in order for him to be able to contact us; he's allowed one 10 min call a day and it's taken me a week and daily calls to GTL because the options they tell us to tell our loved one do not appear for him to select! We don't want to leave the house for fear of missing that one call a day (it's different time every day) to our land line. (which by the way Global Tel link also made us put money on our land line account in order for him to call us collect on the land line!!!!! We are beside ourselves trying to get these phones up and running. We then used the 'Access Corrections' option from the Phila Prison website to put money on an account for him to just buy phone time from his end and the prison just shrugs their shoulders every time he asks about the money on his account! We are out of ideas on how to ensure he can at least reach us!! I plan to spend the morning on the phone again trying to figure this out. GTL and the PPS don't care how devastating not being able to get a simple phone call is to both the family and the loved one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyes View Post
Funny, when I demanded my money back, the suddenly "found" the call attempts and activated the account. I have not yet gotten a phone call to see if it works this time. I'll keep you all update.

I hate all of this.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 AM

PTO Moderator 

You can always forward your home (landline) phone to one of your cell phones when you leave your house.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:58 PM

anybody know how to actually get in touch with an operator at GTL? I need to transfer funds that are on my cell to my land line since Verizon wireless told me they won't accept the GTL calls...I forward my landline to my cell as Verizon confirmed it was the only way to bypass the restriction...the only way I have found to contact GTL now is through a request submitted on their website for a call back...I've sent 3 requests over a period of a week and still not getting a reply! I've come across quite a bit of negative feedback about GTL and I am hoping they do the transfer...they took 15% in "fees" as soon as they took my money...wonder how much more they will take at this request...has anyone here transferred funds from one number to another without issue?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Default global tel link

When you go to gtl.net go to 'friends and family" tab. They have a contact us page. Don't bitber asking for help via email. Use the numbrr they listed there. I hope this helps!!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 AM

I found a number for a LIVE REP!!! I sure hope it helps some people. A live rep at Global Tellink is 866-230-7761. Hours are Mon to Fri-8AM to 11PM. Sat and Sun 9AM to 8PM. I'm not sure what time zone they are in.
I tried the Google Voice to get a local number unfortunately they are "no 215 area code numbers at this time"....anyone else have any ideas on how to get a local 215 area code number in order to save the extreme costs they are charging us??
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 AM
trusgold

Default File with puc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
GTL has apparently ended their direct-billing with Verizon. For those os us who had our collect calls put on our Verizon bills each month, we now have to use GTL's pre-paid accounts.

This wouldn't be so bad except that no notice of the change was given. Those whose calls were billed through Verizon (and others, I think,) woke up to find their lines blocked. I spoke with GTL and even a supervisor, both of whom told me (in their typically rude manner) that they were not required to forwarn customers of this change.

They are experiencing a ten-day backlog of new account applications right before the holidays. Merry Christmas from Global Tel*Link.

(PS, I just filed a complaint with with the Auditor General of Pennsylvania, asking them to investigate this company. Since they have a contract with a state agency, taxpayers have certain rights.)
NO! You file with the PUC Public Utilities Commission
Old 05-04-2014, 04:14 AM

PTO Moderator 

Wow ... You dug up my post from more than three years ago. It's nice to know new member read all the way through a lengthy thread!

In fact, my complaint with the AG was actually addressed by their office because the AG's authority supersedes all state agencies and commissions. In other words, having gotten nowhere with the PUC, I went over their heads.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:53 PM

Thanked 1,564 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaCro View Post
I found a number for a LIVE REP!!! I sure hope it helps some people. A live rep at Global Tellink is 866-230-7761. Hours are Mon to Fri-8AM to 11PM. Sat and Sun 9AM to 8PM. I'm not sure what time zone they are in.
I tried the Google Voice to get a local number unfortunately they are "no 215 area code numbers at this time"....anyone else have any ideas on how to get a local 215 area code number in order to save the extreme costs they are charging us??
Maybe try 267....that should be as local as 215 I bet.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 PM

What prison is your loved one in? 267 may work as well
Old 07-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Does global tel have a site you can view plans and add money on thier site
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 PM

Offenderconnect.com
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM

I set up an account with offenderconnect.
My fiance has tried to call me at least twice a day for almost a week. Every time it tells him I can't be called, and offenderconnect tells me that I am blocked from the facility.
The facility is confused, as they say I've been cleared for days.
Help!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:00 PM

be careful using google voice as if your caught using third party services his phone priviledges could be suspended temporarily or indefinitely.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Default unlimited gtl minutes?

How do u sign up for unlimt gtl?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM

Can someone please tell me in what increments inmates can purchase phone card? Can they purchase more then one at a time if the let's say they only go up to $25 dollars? Also I have a pre-paid verizon cell phone. I have a MI area code presently. Verizon will let me change my number to area code at cfcf. After reading all this gtl stuff I would like to bypass using them. Buy putting money in his account remedy this? Also I live out of state can I put money on his account with a prepaid debit card or do I need to mail it? I feel like I'm locked up. He's been calling my cell since the 23rd. I'm new to all this and its his first offense so I'm guesing he's clueless or would know I can't accept his calls. I get a recording. Can someone please tell me how things are done at cfcf. Please and thank you
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Default california prisons

My brother in law tried to call tonight.. We added money for the first time. Will he see that we now have an account or how will he know to call us again?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 AM

PTO Moderator 

In mid-January, the DOC will be dropping GTL and switching to Securus for phone service. You can follow this news here:

http://www.cor.pa.gov/Inmates/Pages/...x#.VIQ5YKR0yM9

There is information on setting up an account and also for closing your GTL account.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Maybe someone could help me? An inmate is trying to call me from ohio correctional facility I am in the uk. He can't get through and says there is a block. I called gtl and they wasn't much help! Is going through gtl the only way he is allowed to call me? If I get a local area code would it stop the block? I'm getting desperate now so any help would be appreciated
Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Incredibly frustrated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
In mid-January, the DOC will be dropping GTL and switching to Securus for phone service.
Now it's mid-January?? This delay is CRAZY! I already set up my Securus account and put funds on it only to find out I now have to continue to add funds to my GTL (offenderconnect) account until January!?!?! Thank you PA Department of Corrections for finding yet another way to deplete my funds right before the holidays!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Donation Award 

Am I the only one that is having trouble?! I have family in Pittsburgh SCI - he's been trying to call for a couple days now.. Yesterday the system would not recognize when I pushed 5 to accept the call.. I thought maybe it was just my phone, but he also called his dad - and it did not recognize 5 being pushed for him either. Tonight he tried calling again and again and again (several times) and the call recording/prompt never even played - telling me I had a call etc. I have money on my account and my loved one has a calling card - neither way is working for us. Anyone else having these problems? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 AM

PTO Moderator 

This sounds like a technical glitch at the facility. Inmates can submit a slip to alert the prison about the problem -- which probably affected a lot of outgoing calls -- and the facility will get their technician in to resolve it.
Closed Thread