Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Need information on home plan release information

I am just wondering my husband will be released in about nine months and I'm just wondering when will they get in touch with me to discuss his home plan and things like. I'm still not understanding the process and any information I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,477 Times in 12,944 Posts

He needs to submit his home plan to his case manager as soon as they will accept it. They will send it to the local US Probation Office while he is still locked up. The PO will eventually come out to check the house and ask you a bunch of questions.

If you live in the same judicial district where he was sentenced, it will only involve one probation office since he is already scheduled to be released to their supervision. If you live somewhere else, both probation offices have to agree before he will be released to the new jurisdiction. That takes longer.

Having an approved home plan is a good thing since it will avoid any problems about him being sent from the HWH to live on home confinement, and any problems about where he will be allowed to live when he is actually released.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Thanks and yes the address is changed from when he first was sentenced. He already put in his change of address last November but I have not heard anything yet. The counties are different so would that involve two po's. But he told me that they will be contacting me soon. Is that how the process works?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Since it is federal, counties don't matter, only federal judicial districts. NJ only has one district court, so if the two addresses are both there, it will only involve one probation office. If that's accurate (both addresses in NJ) he is already scheduled to be released there, so all the PO needs to do is a home inspection visit. They want to be sure the house doesn't contain anything that would be against his supervised release conditions, like guns, and ask everyone who lives there if they want him to move in. Many POs will explain how his SR will impact you personally, such as unannounced visits and searches.

The PO will do the inspection in plenty of time before he is scheduled to be released.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 PM

yes both of the addresses are in NJ so that is good to know. because he was not sure of the process and i just wanted to know what all takes place and what i need to know. now i guess the only other thing is to see what companies in my area who are inmate friendly and would hire him. because he is worried about that. is there a web site that could help find him a job when he comes home. do they usually go right home from the camp or do they usually go to the hwh first then on hone confindment.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Almost everyone is offered HWH time before release, how much time is up to his unit team. The other variable is available HWH bed space, which might take longer to happen than what the bop puts in for.

If he goes there, he will be able to look for a job from the HWH. If he gets one, he will have to pay 25% of his gross pay to the HWH for room & board, but only until his release date even if he keeps the job while he is on supervised release. The HWH is supposed to help him find work, his PO too once he leaves bop custody.

There are "felon friendly employer" web sites, but I have no idea if they are accurate or not. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Thank you and I appreciate all of your help with this. This is all new and I just wanted to know what to expect in all this. One last question do they do back ground checks or anything like that.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I don't know the answer to that. He will probably be restricted from associating with other felons, but I don't know if that includes family members or not.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Thank you for all of your help it was really appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisQueen77 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-24-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

When they came to see my house, I wasn't home but at work, my son was home and he called me at work, they checked the house and i talked to her for a lil bit. She called a week later when she asked if anyone that would living at the house was on parole,probation etc. I told her I had been off parole for a number of years and what my crimes had been etc. she ask what kind of work I do etc and i told her, she was fine with everything and approved my house. I don't know about anywhere else but i was up front due to my past. To me it could be possible some agents may do that but not sure.

~ Enough is Enough~

The Following User Says Thank You to Unique Ways For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-26-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM

So even if I'm not home and my daughter (she is over 18) there they can still check out the house as long as they can reach me by phone at work?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

Well,they at first didn't think anyone lived there,as my house is somewhat isolated my son went out as he wasn't sure who they were. They didn't ask for me at that time but when he called me, I ask to speak to them. I am not sure if all PO's are like that though. Again it depends on who is coming out to check it out, I guess.

~ Enough is Enough~

Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM

@sparky951: Do you recall how long the process was, from the time he placed your address until they actually came out that day in which you spoke to them while at work over the phone?

Also was your address within the same state in which he was sentenced?

Thank You!
TRUE CONQUERS ALL
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

I believe we did it in mid Jan and they came around Feb maybe the middle, No he caught his case in South Dakota but he had made all his changes in there so he could stay here in cali. He's from here so he did not want to return back there. He was visiting there.

~ Enough is Enough~

The Following User Says Thank You to Unique Ways For This Useful Post:
one4blackberry (05-02-2013)