Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Colorado should be posted here.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Carrot

Default Frustration with parole process

So how do I state what I am feeling without offending anyone? How do I prevent my family member from getting into trouble for statements I make and at the same time if I am silent it might not help him or others. Well, here goes!

I have come up with several examples of what I see in the justice department. From lack of knowing I just call it the justice department. Letís say I am a teacher and I tell my students that if they study hard, do all their assignments, volunteer when needed, be a good example with good behavior, and have perfect attendance then they will pass on to the next grade. Many of the students meet all of these qualifications so they receive their report card showing that they are ready and prepared to go on to that next class only to discover that I have given them an F (failure) for the whole time they were in my class. When asked what they did wrong I might tell them they forgot to dot an i on one of their papers. They try to find out what they can do to change that and I tell them that I have a meeting to go to so they will figure it out themselves. In some cases I might say that somebody that they had wronged before they started my class told me they didnít want them to pass on so I decide on that fact knowing that they had done all the work for the class and were more mature and knowledgeable than when that incident happened. Perhaps when I was working on what grade to give them that my head hurt or my child kept me awake all night so I just make it easier by just giving all of them an F. What if parents had not been able to talk to me about it? Why is this right? Do you know what I am trying to say?
The Following User Says Thank You to Carrot For This Useful Post:
Revenwyn (06-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,669 Times in 8,028 Posts

It sounds like you're saying that an inmate working hard to prove rehabilitation and remorse is subject to the whims and lack of interest of parole board members.

It's something we hear a lot. A lot of frustration stems from going to board, feeling like you've done everything they could possibly want, said the right things, only to be denied.

I'm sorry you're going through this and feeling this way. I don't have the answers, but know you're not alone.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (06-18-2017), Carrot (06-06-2017), Ms Sunny (06-06-2017), patchouli (06-06-2017), Revenwyn (06-10-2017), sass4221 (06-06-2017), sidewalker (06-10-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,634 Times in 16,401 Posts

Yeah, I often say that the outcome of a parole hearing depends on what side of bed the Parole Board members got up on that morning....or maybe it depends on which way the wind is blowing that day. Often there is just no rhyme or reason as why one inmate gets parole and another inmate doesn't

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (06-18-2017), Carrot (06-06-2017), Revenwyn (06-10-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It sounds like you're saying that an inmate working hard to prove rehabilitation and remorse is subject to the whims and lack of interest of parole board members.

It's something we hear a lot. A lot of frustration stems from going to board, feeling like you've done everything they could possibly want, said the right things, only to be denied.

I'm sorry you're going through this and feeling this way. I don't have the answers, but know you're not alone.
Yes, that is right.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Yeah, I often say that the outcome of a parole hearing depends on what side of bed the Parole Board members got up on that morning....or maybe it depends on which way the wind is blowing that day. Often there is just no rhyme or reason as why one inmate gets parole and another inmate doesn't
It does seem like somebody needs to be told why they didn't make it. How can they improve when that don't know what to do or perhaps there is nothing they can do no matter what.

I started thinking about all of this while getting dressed today. I used to be a teacher so guess that is why I thought of the example.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carrot For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Carrot

Let's keep on trying to get an answer. All of us could keep telling on here how the system works and doesn't work. We could just flood this with questions and comments. We need answers as to why those that do everything right and are ready for parole get turned down for no reason. How many others are still waiting and wondering why they won't let them out when they have done everything that is offered and done it well?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Site Moderator

Most often they are given reasons. Now, how helpful those reasons are can be debatable. I realize this is a CO forum, but it seems we're speaking in more general terms.

The last three parole hearings that I've been privy to that ended in a denial were all in California. California is trying to reduce their inmate population, so denials have been coming with some pretty explicit feedback.

*Education-- get your GED, apply to college courses or self-study programs. One isn't enough, keep going.
*Participate-- NA, AA, Anger management, dog training, whatever programs are available, put your name on the list. If there are leadership positions available, even better. If there aren't programs, find a way to bring them in. It is possible.
*Develop better insight-- learn how to speak about your crime in a way that shows you understand how you got there, why you feel remorse and what PLAN you have to avoid it happening again.

These are the specifics being told to our LOs in Cali. What are you hearing in other states?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Carrot

Quote:
Most often they are given reasons. Now, how helpful those reasons are can be debatable. I realize this is a CO forum, but it seems we're speaking in more general terms.

The last three parole hearings that I've been privy to that ended in a denial were all in California. California is trying to reduce their inmate population, so denials have been coming with some pretty explicit feedback.

*Education-- get your GED, apply to college courses or self-study programs. One isn't enough, keep going.
*Participate-- NA, AA, Anger management, dog training, whatever programs are available, put your name on the list. If there are leadership positions available, even better. If there aren't programs, find a way to bring them in. It is possible.
*Develop better insight-- learn how to speak about your crime in a way that shows you understand how you got there, why you feel remorse and what PLAN you have to avoid it happening again.

These are the specifics being told to our LOs in Cali. What are you hearing in other states?
I'm referring to Colorado. My family member went through everything they had to take, worked, didn't cause problems and was sent on to a ReEntry prison where people had been getting out and then all of a sudden they stopped letting many of them out and they are just sitting there. He went to parole twice and was turned down even though he was told by people in the room with him that he did well. So he is sitting there waiting!

He didn't need to get a GED since he had finished high school. He did try to take courses but would have needed to use a computer and is not allowed to do so. He would love to get more education. He does have a job there.

Thank you for the California information. I appreciate your answering my post.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
I'm referring to Colorado. My family member went through everything they had to take, worked, didn't cause problems and was sent on to a ReEntry prison where people had been getting out and then all of a sudden they stopped letting many of them out and they are just sitting there. He went to parole twice and was turned down even though he was told by people in the room with him that he did well. So he is sitting there waiting!

He didn't need to get a GED since he had finished high school. He did try to take courses but would have needed to use a computer and is not allowed to do so. He would love to get more education. He does have a job there.
They won't let him use a computer under their supervision? That's crazy.

So what did they say they wanted from him between this denial and the next review? Did they have any recommendations?

I suppose sometimes they just want people to do the time. That's got to be a frustrating position to be in. :/
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, that's typical for Colorado parole. You can have the "perfect" offender (no write ups, program compliant, ton of family support, etc.) get shot down year after year by parole. Then you can have a "gang banger" always in the hole, no support system, etc. and he will be the one paroled (and most likely return to prison). There is no rhyme or reason with the Colorado parole board and it sucks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Carrot (06-08-2017), Shadowkisses (06-13-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Carrot

Quote:
They won't let him use a computer under their supervision? That's crazy.

So what did they say they wanted from him between this denial and the next review? Did they have any recommendations?

I suppose sometimes they just want people to do the time. That's got to be a frustrating position to be in. :/
They didn't suggest anything. In my opinion there seems to be a lack of communication.

Each year he stays in is more of a chance we will never see each other again for we are in our senior years now.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:
They didn't suggest anything. In my opinion there seems to be a lack of communication.

Each year he stays in is more of a chance we will never see each other again for we are in our senior years now.
From what I've seen and been told, the board rarely tells the offender what they need to actually make parole. There is an exception for sex offenders. They will usually tell them what they are lacking.

The board is not required to communicate why parole is denied.

Unfortunately, you are probably right the longer they stay in and continue to be denied, the more of a chance they won't be paroled. A friend's brother has been denied 10 times and was recently set back 3 years. He's given up hope on ever being paroled.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Carrot (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
The board is not required to communicate why parole is denied.
That seems...unreal. Just a box marked "denied"?

I'm sorry it's so difficult. I read some case law in Cali (I know, not applicable in CO except to say it's something to use in the reform arsenal) that denying parole based on the crime is akin to retrying the person every parole hearing and that isn't the spirit of the law. Parole hearings are meant to determine remorse and rehabilitation.

I'd be curious to know what sort of paperwork is filed by the members when they deny or approve.

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to know what others are experiencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Carrot (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Carrot

Cheyenne Mountain Reentry Center is 're-entry' prison where many are being turned down on parole. I wonder how many on here have somebody there. He doesn't seem to be able to do anything there so that is why I am blindly trying to help on the outside. I may make a lot of mistakes on here so would appreciate help if you see I'm posting, etc. wrong on here.

I have heard of several places to get more information. They are www.csor-home.org, Susan Walker or Susanwalker1@gmail.com, and NARSOL. Are you familiar with these?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

[quote=Carrot;7635014

[/QUOTE]

That's strange, considering that M is allowed to use a computer in there and they're bunkmates.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

From what I know about the parole process in Colorado, they talk to one board member. If that person does not think they should be let out, then they don't get to the second stage.

The second stage is a vote by the full board. Some of the parole board members hold strong prejudices against certain kinds of crimes, so anyone with that kind of crime that is seen by that member is flat out denied for no apparent reason. It happened to M. I was at his last hearing. I could tell that she wasn't going to let him out before he even had a chance to talk. And then she nitpicked with him until she found a "legitimate" reason to deny him.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
From what I know about the parole process in Colorado, they talk to one board member. If that person does not think they should be let out, then they don't get to the second stage.

The second stage is a vote by the full board. Some of the parole board members hold strong prejudices against certain kinds of crimes, so anyone with that kind of crime that is seen by that member is flat out denied for no apparent reason. It happened to M. I was at his last hearing. I could tell that she wasn't going to let him out before he even had a chance to talk. And then she nitpicked with him until she found a "legitimate" reason to deny him.
Actually, one board member can determine parole for non-violent offenders. Some offenders (violent, SO and a few others) are required to be reviewed by the full board. It takes 4 board members to approve parole for the full board.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Carrot

Quote:

Concerning the computer have M ask D. Then M can tell you.

If they are going to continue turning down people then they need to drop the
're-entry' from their name. As I see it they are just a prison now not getting them ready to get out.

Yes, he had one person he talked to and I believe it was on a phone in a little room.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Well, the other inmates are getting out, the ones with drug offenses or misdemeanors. So some are. It's not the prison's fault. I have been there that last 7 weekends, they would like to see them out. The COs here actually seem to care. The problem is with the parole board.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Carrot

Quote:
That's strange, considering that M is allowed to use a computer in there and they're bunkmates.
They don't have computers.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Carrot

I don't know if I'm doing any good complaining on here. This is sort of a down day.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
They don't have computers.
M uses a computer at his job every day.

They don't have Internet.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Carrot

Quote:
M uses a computer at his job every day.

They don't have Internet.
I just saw this today. I didn't realize it was for his job.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 528 Posts

Regarding the idea of doing everything right, doing what he was told to do, meeting requirements and not getting paroled, and the associated frustration, remember, all that is not a guarantee of parole. No one said "if you do this, they will parole you."

Using a similar analogy as yours, if you are a Level I engineer, and you look at the job requirements of Level II engineer, meeting those requirements does not mean you will be made a Level II engineer.

They are simply the minimum requirements that must be met to be considered for someone to get that position, with all the overhead that goes with it - current opening, looking to fill the opening, interviewing and being better than every other person applying... etc.

With all that, yeah, parole boards are finicky, and there's a lot of external pressures in play with the board members.

But parole is a shot - not a guarantee. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Carrot (06-25-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 AM

i was told that th CO legislature was considering making prd time mrd if inmate was doing wel!, no writeups etc. anyone know who is in charge of this bill so we can support it?