Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Steel sharpens steel

Default "Family visit encumbrance fee" at PVSP, does anyone know what this is?

According to my own experiences at Pleasant Valley State Prison you have to purchase a food package which will be delivered to the prison by a prison approved vendor. That package can be ordered a month in advance because nothing inside the package will be temperature sensitive or time sensitive(sometimes expirations dates are past this needs to be address with the vendor).

Next you can purchase from the kitchen at the prison. This is where you will get meats,dairy, fresh fruits and vegetables.

The last cost is where Iím concerned. Recently my husband mentioned a ďfamily visit encumbranceĒ the fee was $55. Does anyone have any experiences with unknown fees associated with family visits?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,339 Posts

First time I'm hearing about it, although then again, I never had a Family Visit when Dee was locked up. Perhaps someone with some experience who's had Family Visits in the past and is continuing to have Family Visits has some knowledge on it, but as far as I had been told prior to now, the only expenses were the commissary and kitchen costs......so maybe a new policy?

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 PM

I had a family visit with my late husband at the time at pleasant valley. There wasn't a fee when I did it. Jus paid for the food he order & that was it. The visit was from Monday to Thursday but this visit was in 2005. Make sure you clean everything
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,663 Times in 8,027 Posts

I've never heard of it either. Does it say that it's refundable? Like a deposit?

Unless this is something new that came with the expansion and implementation of the new FV regs. As each facility varies a bit how they handle their FVP, I'm wondering if other facilities are seeing this. I'm going to move your post to the more broad category of CDCR and see if anyone can help us.

edit: just scanned the new regs, nothing in there about an added fee. but i'm not sure that info would be in there, anyway. Grrr.

Last edited by miamac; 02-06-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 AM
Steel sharpens steel

We alway clean really well but I was thinking maybe they found something broken and held us responsible? I called to inquire so as soon as I hear anything I’ll post the result.
miamac (02-22-2019), Sarianna (02-07-2019), sidewalker (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 AM
Steel sharpens steel

*this was our second visit. We were not charged the family visit encumbrance fee for our first visit.*
sidewalker (02-07-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,663 Times in 8,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colahda View Post
We alway clean really well but I was thinking maybe they found something broken and held us responsible? I called to inquire so as soon as I hear anything Iíll post the result.
Ahh, I wonder if that is it. I just popped back in here to post that the LSA guide to Family Visits makes it clear that "each institution shall provide all necessary accommodations, except for food, at no cost to inmates and their visitors." So it's not, or shouldn't be, a new fee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
qwerty (04-01-2019), sidewalker (02-23-2019)