Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Just an FYI this bill does not include flat timers or SO's
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,329 Times in 521 Posts

I read the Bill. It does not state it is retroactive, so it doesn't appear to apply to current inmates. They need to fix that.

ARS 1-244. Retroactivity of statutes

No statute is retroactive unless expressly declared therein.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 AM

From AFSC facebbok:

Happy Sunday, friends! It's been reported to us that Middle Ground Prison Reform is confusing and misinterpreting the language and intent of #HB2270 and potentially undercutting its progress in the Arizona legislature.

We worked with several licensed, practicing members of the Arizona Bar as well as national experts from FWD.us and FAMM to ensure that the language of HB2270 is correct. We also worked with Steve Primack at Legislative Counsel.

The Earned Release Credit applies specifically to a person’s time in prison (ARS 41-1604.07) – and not to required community supervision (ARS 13-603). Currently, if a person doesn't get in trouble in prison, they must serve 85% of the sentence handed down from the court in prison, and the remaining 15% can be served under community supervision. In other words, everyone serves 100% of their time – 85% of their time MUST be served in prison, and up to 15% may be served on community supervision (still under the control of the Department of Corrections).

HB2270 allows people to reduce the time they serve in prison. The 15% community supervision remains the same. We felt this was important in terms of ensuring that individuals are given some transition programming and assistance with reentry.

Example:
5-year sentence
5 (years) X 365 (days) = 1,825 days to serve

1. If the offense was charged as a “Dangerous” offense under 13-704, that person would:
- Have the opportunity to earn up to 347 days off their sentence (19%)
- Serve 1,204 days in prison (66%)
- Serve 274 days on community supervision (15%)

2. For all other offenses (EXCEPT those under 13-705, flat-time, or life sentences), the person would:
- Have the opportunity to earn up to 639 days off their time in prison (35%)
- serve 913 days in prison (50%)
- serve 273 under community supervision (15%)

Regarding retroactivity, it is our understanding that this would be applied retroactively, and we specifically told legislative counsel that that was the intent. If, for some reason, additional language needs to be inserted into the bill, be assured that we will pursue this in committee.

Finally, if anyone has any questions or concerns, please contact AFSC-AZ directly (afscarizona@gmail.com), so as not to contribute to confusion or misinformation among legislators or the public. We are happy to answer questions and discuss the benefits of HB2270!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

I posted this in another forum for this topic also. The bill is dead. Rep Blackman, the sponsor, sent an email. He encourages us to target our Republican reps. Write the speaker (Rusty Bowers) and bring this bill back. It’s our job as Arizona residents to change the laws. Laws don’t just happen. Let’s bring a similar bill asking for good time for all inmates.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM

From AFSC-AZ:

Hi Friends! Because of the recent coverage of #HB2270 and Rep. John Allen's delay in hearing the bill in the House Judiciary Committee, many of you have asked if the bill is "dead". The short answer is NO!

Keep doing everything you're doing to put pressure on Rep. Allen and Speaker Bowers! Keep showing up in public spaces to amplify your voices.

What you've read doesn't tell the full story of what's happening behind the scenes. Just yesterday, Rep. Blackman -- the sponsor of HB2270 -- wrote this to a constituent:

"I look to you and many others to petition the Republican majority leadership -- including the Speaker, the Majority leader, and the Whip -- and urge them that the hearing of this most important bill is essential and necessary."

Keep fighting! #WEGOTTHIS!

I’m sure we have all written and called already- maybe we can plan a meet up at the capitol as another way to get our voices heard? If anyone has ideas or Is willing let me know. It is important for them to hear this bill!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:06 PM
here

It is not officially dead until the deadline for hearings has passed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
mama_pig (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 PM

Oh, Sylph. It’s as good as dead. It’s on life support dying.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 PM

But this doesn’t mean we have to give up! We can pressure them to make another bill. We have to keep trying.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM

Btw I think the whip is Becky Nutt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjz1234 View Post
From AFSC-AZ:

Hi Friends! Because of the recent coverage of #HB2270 and Rep. John Allen's delay in hearing the bill in the House Judiciary Committee, many of you have asked if the bill is "dead". The short answer is NO!

Keep doing everything you're doing to put pressure on Rep. Allen and Speaker Bowers! Keep showing up in public spaces to amplify your voices.

What you've read doesn't tell the full story of what's happening behind the scenes. Just yesterday, Rep. Blackman -- the sponsor of HB2270 -- wrote this to a constituent:

"I look to you and many others to petition the Republican majority leadership -- including the Speaker, the Majority leader, and the Whip -- and urge them that the hearing of this most important bill is essential and necessary."

Keep fighting! #WEGOTTHIS!

Im sure we have all written and called already- maybe we can plan a meet up at the capitol as another way to get our voices heard? If anyone has ideas or Is willing let me know. It is important for them to hear this bill!