Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Account Closed

Default Registering as a Drug Offender

Hello, everybody. I have a friend that recently got out of prison here in good ol' (NOT!!) Kansas. He found out that he has to register as a drug offender. Does anybody know any way out of this? I told him he should probably consult an attorney. Someone told me that a person in California that had to register in a similar fashion fought it in court and won. Any ideas on the case citation?

I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Sorry, but due to our awsome politicians people convicted of sales or manufacturing now have to register, not a big deal really. The big problem is that they are on the same website as the S.O.s'. Not a good group to be bunched with. I have no idea what restrictions they will be placed on. I will search for the case citation for you.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Some states have a central registry...it doesn't matter if you are a SO, drug convicts, or child abuse...it's all lumped together.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Account Closed

I'm going to find out a way, and when I do... I will let you all know about it. I think that maybe a person might have to deal with the courts. I'm thinking a person that may not have actually been guilty of the crime that decided to plea bargain might have fought it in court if he/she'd have known that in 2007, they'd have to register as an "offender". What do you think?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Account Closed

Okay, there was an article in the latest edition (Summer 2007) of the FAMM newsletter talking about a guy, Peter Ninemire, who was fighting to get the Meth Registration bill thrown out. He actually succeeded, but the Kansas House and Senate threw in a similar bill at the last minute. He has an e-mail address pninemire@famm.org. If you or anyone you know is having to register as a drug offender, you might contact him to see if he has any of advice for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

OK I am not aware of this if you know more about this I think I need to be aware of it.. I will not have my hubby put on no list that SO are on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THey said nothing about this in court but that was at the begining of 2005
Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Account Closed

Rockz wifey, if my husband had been convicted of a drug offense in Kansas (his happened to be federal), I would definitely be fighting this. If I find out any solid ways to keep names off the list, I will let you all know. First, sexual offenders, then drug offenders, then everybody. That's the way it happens. We can no longer think, "whew. Good thing they're only hitting SOs that way." The bigger picture is they want complete control over every single one of us.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 AM

My daughter's conviction was federal and she has just been notified that she has to be registered on the Kansas list. It appears that with any drug sales conviction, when you live or work in Kansas, you have to register. If I recall corect information, you have to register for a minimum of ten years. The registration is noted on your driver's license also. Once your current license expires you have to renew it yearly. I guess that's part of how they monitor registration on the dreaded list. I agree that this is lousy.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
It is what it is...

Personally I think that all the registration lists should be looked at again. I don't see ANY reason to have people listed UNLESS violent crimes are commited. These lists can cause more trouble then they are worth!! Fight it all you can...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Chadschica

So I guess you are not free when your free..,..But does anyone know If texas has that dumb list????
Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Ok guys/gals.. I did me homework..
THis is the deal.. You have to be charged with manufacture of meth.. poss of items to make meth.. or sell within a 1000 ft of a school of opiates or narc. Now I also learned that it only effects those convicted on or after july 07 and it has to be part of their sentence. I spoke with someone at my court house in my county...Not sure if that is 100% true or not but I will be lookin more into it cause he was convicted of the poss within 1000 ft.

You all can best believe I will be fightin this one.. With my husband being a dealer as with any dealer they will be puttin my safety an my childrens safety at hand an I will not have my address on blast for this.. I will keep you all informed I have been talkin wit the guy whom the other lady gave his email to us in a previous post...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Default Update

Ok as I promised when I found out more info I would let you kno...

Here goes I contacted the parole office an YES it is retroactive.. Meaning IF you fall umnder the guildlines you WILL have to register.. I am waiting on a call bacc from the KBI now to see how all this will work. I will keep you informed.. I would like to kno who all would be willing to fight with me as I am going to get some things moving with others.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Count me in on fighting that rule. I dont want my husband on any so list.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Ok I jus got my call bacc from the KBI today an here is the news I got...
IF you were convicted before July 07 then you will have to reg.. HOWEVER it will be considered restricted.. it will NOT go online..
The offender will have to report still 4 times a year an pay $20 each time..
IF they only have one offense then they will have to register for 10 years to start on the day of release from prison.. if they are to catch another crime that violent,drug or sex that fits under the SB 204 then they will be put online to include their past record..
My hubby will be a lifer meanin will have to reg. for life because he already has more then one of the dope convictions within 1000 ft of school under his belt. If he stays out of trouble then It wouldnt bother me as much but there is still a catch that really gets me.....

ON THEIR DRIVERS LICENSE THEY WILL HAVE TO HAVE IN BIG RED LETTERS

REGISTERED OFFENDER!!!!!

Not drug offender not violent offender not even sex offender .. they will be all labled the same on their drivers license.. I am heated..

I will continue to keep u guys informed I think I need to take this to a more gone over thread in all the states an see who else has such a crazy law.. I would like to kno who else is wit me on this cause as much as I would like to have this go away its not goin to unless we sticc up for these men/women...
IF we want it changed then we really need to step our game up an let these ppl kno that we arent havin it..

You all can feel free to PM me thos that arent comfortable postin out loud I really need some bacc up here cause I am only one woman.. But the min. I found out about it you see what I have been able to find in the short amount of time an I am not gonna stop till they get this together.. I am not gonna have my man on some hit list or ppl lookin at him like he done hurt someones baby cause his license has registered offender on it.. An trust me you already kno that is what they are gonna think..
Thanks in advance for the ones that will help support our men
Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockz_wifey View Post
Ok as I promised when I found out more info I would let you kno...

Here goes I contacted the parole office an YES it is retroactive.. Meaning IF you fall umnder the guildlines you WILL have to register.. I am waiting on a call bacc from the KBI now to see how all this will work. I will keep you informed.. I would like to kno who all would be willing to fight with me as I am going to get some things moving with others.

I too was informed that when my husband accepted his plea that he would have to register as a Drug Offender for the next 10 years. No they didn't tell us that he would be put on blast.. Dam.. I thought it was crazy too when I heard it, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "That is for S. O's", why does he have to go there? But little did they tell us that they group it. Oh, I don't even want to share that with him. He has enough on his plate.
Consider me in, let me know any and all information I need to give as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Default drug offender registration

Hi there everyone. I, also am required to register as a drug offender and I am not happy at all about it. I have been in contact with the ACLU concerning this. They seem to want to help me, but it's hard to get them to write me back. I can see making people who were convicted after July 2007 register because this is basically a new part of the law. I'm certain that its not even legal to impose a new punishment onto an old crime like they've done to so many of us. It's part of the United States Constitution. It's called the Ex Post Facto law. Look it up and you'll see. Nobody wants to get this overturned more than I. I was convicted of my crime in 2001 and this is crazy!

Last edited by nitabean3; 06-18-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,209 Posts

Nitabean, you are entirely correct and I agree 100%. However, the United States Supreme Court did not agree with us. There was already a case decided regarding the SO Registry on the very issue you mention, however it has been decided that the registry is NOT a punishment. That's how SO Registries have been made retroactive in most (if not all) states, applying to offenders after a certain date, but before the date the registration law becomes effective.

I know it seems ridiculous to say that the registry is NOT a punishment, but that is a matter of law at this point. It's not a punishment. Even if we personally think it is. It was easy for people to not have a problem with the SO registry, but even if someone likes it for SO's the problem is that it set a precident for every other kind of convict. Now people are saying--hey, I like it for SO's but not others. But the precident has already been set. It's not a punishment for SO's, it's not a punishment for others who are now being affected.

I am really sorry that you are going through all this. It's really unfair IMO. All I can say is look at the bright side--we don't know what things will be like 20 years from now or more. Maybe there won't even be a registry in the future. It's going to large extent (IMO) depend on the will of the people...what we will demand of our legislators. Unfortunately right now alot of people are supportive of registries for felons. One "good" thing is there are more drug offenders than sex offenders, so as more and more people get registered, it might turn the tide--as a society when more become affected, it's likely that more people will be against registries. Hopefully that happens.

Last edited by june5; 06-18-2008 at 10:08 PM..
Old 06-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Default Kansas Offender Registry

June 5, you have done some research on this I see! Thanks for the insight. You are right about alot of what you said. This isn't going to be easy. But I don't want to give up either! At the same time I don't want to spend my money on an attorney who may not be able to beat this. It will be interesting to see what happens when someone refuses to register as a drug offender. Meaning what kind of action will be taken and exactly what kind of a punishment they are really going to impose. Do you know anybody who has already refused to register? If so what was the outcome?

Last edited by nitabean3; 06-19-2008 at 05:04 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 PM

Failing to register in Kansas is a Level 5 PERSON felony...which is a more severe crime than drug sales (one of the offenses requiring registration). And yes, they are serious about prosecuting you for failing to register. Furthermore:

"The crime of failure to register is a severity level 5 person felony. A new violation or offense occurs every 30 days as long as the offender remains noncompliant with the Act"

This is a terrible law and Kansans should let their lawmakers know that trying to shame people who have already served their time is not good for our society.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 AM

Default My wife and I are both registered drug offender

Unfortunately we live in KS so we have to comply for the entire 15 years... She actually failed to at I've point and with it being the first time, they plead it down to attempted failure to register, which also made her eligible for probation.... Another one is automatic prison, actually took her from the E box to the C box so any crime no matter how small will send her to prison.. Anyway, I can't find a list of States you have to register in, can someone help please?