Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 PM

All my pix said, "Attachments Pending Approval". I think I messed up and tried to do it the wrong way. I'll try it again.

If you can't stand the drool, besides mastiffs, I would recommend you stay away from St. Bernards and Great Danes, too.

Loved the video, mooshy! Have you seen the Friskies videos called, "Dear Kitten..."? Since this is a "dog" thread, I'm going to try to put a couple here that have dogs, "Dear Kitten...(regarding the dog)" and "Dear Kitten...(my friend Peanut)". There are about 7 or 8 of them and they are all hilarious. You can find them all at YouTube. In addition to the pix of the dogs I put in my other post, we have 2 rescue sister cats here and the 1 "foster" I mentioned who is an all black cat. He gives kisses and will enthusiastically take food from your hand, not to mention the bonus to the Halloween decor. The sisters are cute, sometimes they spoon together when they sleep.

and

I would like to have a dog of my very own for myself, but there are already too many here right now that my daughter brought in and they identify with being hers. I'm just the lady who pets them and gives them treats. So, I'm thinking about volunteering at the animal shelter to get in more of a variety of dog petting. Even though I can't take one home with me, I want to do it. Plus, they encourage kitty socialization for volunteers, too, so I'll be all over that like white on rice as well.

Real Checker, I'm totally jealous about your golden and wish I could be your furbabysitter. Fingers crossed that somehow you'll be reunited with your basset hound, I'm sure she misses you.

I liked your video, too, miamac. It's the same for me, I feel like that but without the booze, too! If booze was involved I'd probably dissolve into tears b/c I couldn't take them all home with me, lol. Thinking ahead, I probably better lay off the sauce if I go to the shelter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-14-2016), mooshy (01-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 05:42 AM

Aren't these just the coolest? Painted wild dogs of Africa. I've seen on TV where people threw raw meat out to them from the back of a truck as part of conservation efforts. Wouldn't people do a doubletake if they saw you walking one of these down the sidewalk on a leash? LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-27-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,360 Posts

My favorite dog breed the Bully Breed APBT and the traditional APBT are my favorite.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following User Says Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-15-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,694 Times in 15,326 Posts

I love Border Collie's and GShepards.
Just so beautiful,and smart.
Would love to get a red/white border but for now, the one we have is dog enough.

Ive had mixes and enjoyed them too.
The dog we have now is an only dog. I dont think I could handle another one. You forget how hard it can be to raise one from puppyhood.
(I know I forgot! lol)
but I think he's one of the best we have ever had.wish I know how to post a pic that isnt too big.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 527 Posts

My favorites are Rottweiler's, German Shepard's, Golden Retrievers, Pit Bulls, Northern Inuit, Tamaskan, and beagles.

My least favorite is anything super small and annoyingly yappy. Poodles too their fur reminds me of my mothers bad perm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Struck For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
wish I know how to post a pic that isnt too big.
You can upload it to something like Photobucket on the web which has an easy editing feature and is free. Also at Photobucket is the handy option to copy the pic URL. Then when you go to post in the forum, you click the picture icon at the top, paste in the copied URL and bam! you've got your new, smaller pic to post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-27-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Wandering

My favorite dogs would be the bull mastiff, giant schnauzer, leonberger, and the Samoyed. Currently having discussions with my caveman on which one we should get.

Least favorite, I hate to say it. I know that they are great family dogs. Fiercely protective,, loyal, smart. I will never on a pit.
Aphra (01-27-2016), sidewalker (01-27-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,926 Posts

FIERCELY PROTECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None of my Pits have been fierce or protective. In fact, the two I had the longest were without a doubt the most mellow, easy going dogs I've ever owned. Never even barked at the dangerous, dreaded mail person - unlike my Retriever that is certain the mail person is here only to murder us all.

Pits are my preferred breed to take in for fostering - I have never, ever had a bad one.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Aphra (01-27-2016)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Default Max the Dangerous Pit Bull

When I was a kid my family had a big dog and mostly small (under 20 #) dogs. I have had the smaller kind (mutts, mostly) while on my own.

Of course I loved them all, but I decided this last time to get a bigger dog. I saw Max(ine) online at the Broward Humane Society and I could just see it in her face that that was my dog.

Max is a Staff with classic black and white markings and a white tipped tail. I got her at a year old and there's a nick out of her left ear. She acts like I beat her to death every day, but I've never even lightly smacked her. Maybe somethign in that first year.

Max is now 8. She has been and is one hell of a dog. She runs on auto pilot, never really formally trained. She just knows what I expect and does it. 5 years ago we moved from Ft Lauderdale to Southern Indiana where I met Josh.

"Leash" and "Home Depot" set her off. I cannot say those things unless I'm ready to make good. Sunday we went to Home Depot and it was mobbed. It took me two hours to get three things. Max had to meet EVERYBODY. Which works for me .

She has pointed out some bizarre things to me. Moms with toddlers and even babies in carts call max over. She exudes friendly. I keep a tight eye on her, but there's never been an incident. Two of hundreds of people she got near showed fear. I run with her (because Josh is inside and can't) and a tall skinny guy last week said "aw s**t" when she looked at him like she wanted to play, and there was a big burly guy in the (wide) plumbing aisle of Home Depot about a year ago who plastered himself against the opposite racks as we walked past. He offered the apology "it's a pit". I just said "i know".

Josh is a major dog person. He's crazy about Max. I'm not sure who is the bigger draw sometimes, me or Max. She knows when I'm talking to him on the phone. She lays on her back on the couch and wiggles and groans.

Max's buddy is Brownie, my daughter's 105 pound male pit. (max is 50 pounds). They were friends since brownie was 8 weeks old. My daughter followed me up from Pompano Beach a couple years ago so they're buddies again.

Josh won't be home till May of '18, so we don't get Christmas this year. But we will next year and Josh is all with plans for the new dog at that time. He's even picked a name for it. I have a feeling we won't hold out till Christmas, which is ok by me.

I know that everyone's pet is just as fantastic as Max is to me. They do help pass the time, don't they? Even when they have the rare puke fest because they ate something outside they maybe shouldn't have.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,743 Posts

Favorite...oh my...Great Pyrenees or Rotti. Labs are great for the most part, you really can't go wrong getting a lab. BF has a black lab and a lab mix. I grew up with Golden Retrievers and my only problem is it's like having a toddler....forever! Haha!

Least favorite is a looooong list! Seriously! Pretty much anything small, unfortunately most owners of small dogs do not train them properly because they are small and they are little terrors. Chihuahuas top that list.

sidewalker (12-28-2017)