Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Alabama that do not fit into any other Alabama subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Default Have You Gotten Married In Alabama State Prison?

If so, Please post the details and your experience in this link. The Prison Weddings Team is trying to have marriage information for all states. Your help in this prioject is deeply appreciated.

Please use this criteria:

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

Mrs. Dragon
Prison Weddings Moderator

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...179#post252179
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2004, 02:52 PM

Mrs. D, I did already post about our wedding but I don't think I answered all these questions for our particular prison. Did you want me to post again?
Care
Old 05-29-2004, 06:25 PM
happy pto member

Mrs D. lewis & I got married at st. clair prison on August 4th 1995. we didn't have to have counciling, but the chaplain talked to us about getting married in our situation. our ceramony lasted for 1 hour with the chaplain performing the wedding. I was able to take in one unopened roll of film, a cake, our rings (his had a $50.00 limit), and change for the drink machine. the ceramony itself was as beautiful as any out here. I wore a dress but it had to be visiting clothing. the cake was cut into hundreds of pieces by the c/o but they let me take a picture of it first. we could have 2 witnesses with us, but Lewis' sister had a still born baby that very day, so we were the only one's there.
Lewis filled out a request to marry and it was approved. at that time we had to have a blood test, but you don't now. the prison gave him his blood test and I went to the health dept.on the day we got married, I had to go to the court house in St. Clair and apply for the marriage licence. this cost $25.00, then go back to the prison for the actual wedding. the chaplain set the date, so we didn't get to choose that. it was the most wonderful day of my life and the chaplain helped make it special for us.
sue

may the lord bless you and keep you Num 6:24
Old 05-31-2004, 06:58 PM

just wondering, dont both people need to sign to get a marriage license? how does that work when one is in prison?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cember
just wondering, dont both people need to sign to get a marriage license? how does that work when one is in prison?
Here is a link that gives specific Alabama marriage info http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...&postid=252179 In some states you can get a power of atty and sign the papers for him and in some states you take the papers to the prison for him to sign.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 AM

cember, I had to get the papers and take them to the prison for him to sign and then return them to the courthouse. It took several trips to get everything done right but I'm not sure how many trips you NEED to make, they just messed with my head right from the git-go and it SEEMED they were determined (THEY meaning the Chaplain) to give me the run around on purpose. Incicentally, I loved the part in our "counselling" when we were informed that James would not be able to leave the prison and go to the courthouse to file for all the paperwork. !!!?!?!? (Good grief.) As for Power of Attorney......I think it is something everyone should do with their man BEFORE they actually need one. The prison has the forms and it's simple for them to get. Hey even at Easterling it was easy to get done and THAT is saying a lot!! :-)

Care
Old 06-07-2004, 04:17 AM
happy pto member

it is important to get their power of attorney as soon as you can. I've had Lewis for years and have needed it on many occasion's. Limestone wouldn't be too hard to get married in. of course you will have to do 6 sessions with the chaplain and from what I've heard, he will do everything he can to discourage marriage. I know there have been several marriages there in the last year.
sue

may the lord bless you and keep you Num 6:24
Old 08-01-2004, 08:38 PM

Mrs Dragon,

We were married at Staton in 2000 and were allowed 6 guests. The names of the guests had to be turned in ahead of time. We didn't have to go through counselling. I had to get the marriage license and take in with me. I think it was about $25. He wore his whites and I wore a dress. We were allowed to take in an unopened roll of film. We had a cake and drinks that we took in with us. I was told no rings before hand but took them with me anyways and when we got there, they said it was ok so we were allowed rings. (no limit at that time) We were allowed to pick a date, Mon - Fri, when the chaplin was there and we were allowed 3 hours I believe was the time limit. It was wonderful October day for the both of us.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 AM

WE PLAN TO MARRY AT BIBB COUNTY CORRECTION ON MARCH 10, 2005....IF PAROLE IS DENIED ON FEB 14TH...

Kenny's been checking into it and found out yesterday that if we waited to start the process after the parole hearing it would be sept before we could get married. SO, he's mail me a package to fill out, i'll let you guys know what it has in it and detail as soon as i have them..

I'm getting married...wow

Denise
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseJ
WE PLAN TO MARRY AT BIBB COUNTY CORRECTION ON MARCH 10, 2005....IF PAROLE IS DENIED ON FEB 14TH...

I'm getting married...wow

Denise
Denise, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
Now you have something else to work on besides your new outfit (complete with blinking heart antennas) for the parole hearing. Save them and you could wear them for your wedding, kinda like a headpiece and you can attach the veil to it. Hey, stick with me, I got lots good ideas for your wedding day.

Anyhow, just wanted to say Congratulations.

Care
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,245 Posts

Well congratulations Denise!! Of course I hope he makes parole but if not, at least this will be something nice and positive to look forward to! Woohoo!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
LOVING MY CRAZY LIFE!!

Well ours was a little drawn out,but worth the wait.First Lee had to send in a request to get married,the Warden sent it back to him and said we would have to wait 3 months and turn it back in.After that we waited 3 months,turned it back to the Warden.He then returned it and ask had we had our marriage counseling.This part took an act of congress cos' Lee's in WR and well by the time he got in from work everyday the Chaplin had already been there and gone for the day.
Lee finally talked to a guy that had the Chaplin's phone number and got it for me to call the Chaplin myself and set up the counseling.I talked to him on a Thursday evening and two weeks later we went to our couseling.We only had to go through one session which was about a hour long.The Chaplin approved us that night and said he would turn in over to the Warden.
Three weeks later we already had it set up to get married at the courthouse for Friday Feb.11th.He was going on a 72 hour pass,the Warden still had not signed and returned the papers approving it.So Lee got one of the CO's to call the Warden and tell him we needed the papers that evening.Well of course the Warden said I can't find any papers saying y'all have been through couseling,so the CO called Lee's boss man and told him they counldn't find the papers.
Lee's boss man called me and let me know what was going on and I turned right around and called the Chaplin and explained it to him.He then called the Warden and told him we had been through it.By the time Lee got in that afternoon it was approved.So off we went to the courthouse to get married.
Well when we got to the courthouse Lee didn't have a SS card and the lady said well I've got to have something with your SS number on there.Well he had his pass papers with him,so I wrote his number on there while the clerk was busy.And they accepted it.So we're now married.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:36 PM
GO Yankees!!

I am getting married. So far we had to answer a questionare and turned it in, then finally me and my fiancee had our first session last week with the chaplin. The chaplin told us that our next session would be March 7th. Then he said that there are alot of couples getting married at Elmore so he told us that we could get married in August and he would go over the dates with us March 7th. I wish it was sooner but at least the chaplin gave us the month.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Account Closed

Default married on aug 20 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdragon
If so, Please post the details and your experience in this link. The Prison Weddings Team is trying to have marriage information for all states. Your help in this prioject is deeply appreciated.

Please use this criteria:

9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

Mrs. Dragon
Prison Weddings Moderator

mrs d we had no counsling
i filled out the papers at the court house the probate judge took the papers to the prison along with our certifcate she noterized them and then did the service we had flowers the inmates went in together along with the captain and had flowers brought in the chaple was beautiful. i wore a cream colored lace wedding dress flowers in my hair we had our wedding cake and plastic champigne glasses with sprite in the to make our toast with his wedding ring had to be mailed in before the service and it could not be more than 50.00 i could bring who ever i wanted with me i just had to give their name a week in advance
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...179#post252179
Old 03-14-2005, 03:01 AM

Mrs D, My husband how to fill out a request to get married ,It took about 2 months before he got it back,Then we had to have a 5 hour couseling, then we had to fill out a questionare and send it back to the preacher,I had to go to the prison to get my husband to sign to sign the marrige license then i had to go to the court in the same county where the prison was at and get them to sign it and i signed it, I had to pay $35.00 for the license,and then i had to take them back to the chaplain.We could bring wedding bands, a disposalable camera but the camera could not be open before you entered the prison, we was allowed to have 6 guests but you had to put them on the list that they give you to fill out.I could not wear white.There was 8 of that got married and the women pitched in and got a cake, it was beautiful.We could not have flowers.We got married at Ventress Correctional Facility Sept 2002
Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 AM

I wanted to post this as soon as possible before I forget something, Anthony and I were
marriedd on Friday March 18,2005 at 10 am. it was not a long process thru bullock. the first thing we had to do was fill out an application and mail it back to the chaplain which we did on 1-20-05. then I had to call up there and speak with chaplain Esther Walker she handles all the counseling and ceremonies there, She set us up with a date on Feb 18, 2005. for counseling on thurs the 17 which the counseling only took 1/2 a hour. She allowed us to choose which ceremony we wanted from 5 different ones. then she then gave me the paperwork that I had to take to the court house. The license itself was $40.00. we showed up friday morning at 9:30. we were allowed to bring in 2 disposalable cameras. A sheet cake and 3 two liter sodas and several bags of chips. and the usual stuff cups, napkins, plastic ware. I was not allowed to wear any white and he was not allowed to wear anything but his whites. I Brought our rings with me the morning of the ceremony, the cost for our rings was around $300.00. At the ceremony we were alloweed 8 guests and that had to be filled out with the application and signed by the warden. our ceremony took a little over 1/2 an hour and we had 1/2 an hour to spend with each other and the chapel workers did all the work, they even took the pictures. he was allowed to pick one inmate to be his best man. after the ceremony we were allowed to eat and talk and take more pictures. We also offered cake to some of the co's. He was allowed to take all of the leftovers to the chapel and eat it later which he did. all in all it was a very nice ceremony.. I have the application and other paperwork that I will post it when I get a chance..
hope this helps
Carrie Draughon
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM

:fb:
Congrats Carrie! It sounds like Bullock was not too hard a place to deal with!
I am very happy for you!

Kay
"I've seen fire and I've seen rain I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend But I always thought that I'd see you again" :love: (Joey came home on November 16, 2005)
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM

Carrie, Congratulations!!! Sounds like you guys didn't have any snags in the process; that's great! So when do we get to see the pictures?????

Care
Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks Kay and Care, it was a real surprise to us that it happened so quickly and effortlessly, especially after trying to deal with the bs at easterling. we have been trying to get married for the last 5 years. but for now we are very happy and enjoying it.. I am going to try and post so pics later..
Carrie
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Default I married at Bibb county correctional in Brent, AL

( don't know how kenny got away with it, but NO, we just answered 400+ questions)

(couple of months)

(no-prisons chapel was the only one they allowed)

(no- they let us make one with there camera)

(2 adults, but they had to ALREADY be on visation list)

(chaplin gave us a form-13 from the DOC, took it to court house, court house gave me an application that had to be signed and nortizied)

(45.50 at court house)
(him-prison whites, me-same as visation)

(i brought them with me, no mailing them, no value limit)

any question just ask....DeniseK
Old 04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Being patient......

Does anybody have any info on getting married at Limestone CF?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
DJ's Angel

Default Weddings at Holman in Atmore

I have searched thru the threads and it is possible that I may be overlooking the information that I am searching for but I am unable to find anything posted by someone married at Holman. IF there is anyone out there who was married at Holman could you please get back to me and help lower my stress level by telling me what all we are going to have to go thru. My fiance is on DR there.

PLEASE DO NOT KILL IN MY NAME!

I'd rather live in his world
Than live without him in mine.

Pamela
Old 11-02-2005, 01:50 PM

the best answer I can give you is for your fiancee to get all the paperwork from the chaplain and it will explain, they have changed so many rules over the last year at doc that every fac is different and it is about the best way to go about it is thru the fac. sorry I could not have been more help
Carrie
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
GO Yankees!!

Yes, the best thing is to call the chaplin to find out there procedures on weddings....every facility is different. Some require counsling seesions where others do not...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 AM
DJ's Angel

My Fiancee has already gotten paperwork from Chaplain and he is sending it to me I was just anxiously curious.

PLEASE DO NOT KILL IN MY NAME!

I'd rather live in his world
Than live without him in mine.

Pamela