Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

View Poll Results: What FCC Coleman is your love one at?
FCI Coleman Low 69 24.21%
FCI Coleman Medium 45 15.79%
USP Coleman I 85 29.82%
USP Coleman II 86 30.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Information on Coleman

Does anyone have any information about the OIG investigation going on at Coleman?
I have a sister at Coleman. She was sent to the men's prison to prepare meals while they were on lockdown. She wast told it was voluntary and this was not her assigned detail. She only went to try to earn extra money since they increased her restitution amount. While she was there a male prisoner walked in on them and luckily they all ran and got away safely. They reported it to the ooficer on duty but nothing happened. They worked them for 11 hours straight and all they gave them was a chicken patty on a bun and a banana the whole day. When they came the next day to ask them to go back to men's facility she told them she didn't want to go back because she didn't feel safe and they did not feed them. There were 4 other girls that said the same thing and didn't want to go either. The officer just said okay and she reported to her regular detail. The next thing she knows they came to get her and had written her up for refusing to work. She was on her detail when they came and got her. They sent her to Lake County Jail until she had her hearing. At the hearing they wouldn't let her call her witnesses and didn't write down all her statement saying that was too much to write down. She got 90 days no visitation no phone calls and the appeals committee wouldn't hear her case. They said they didn't see the need. They then told her she was being transferred to Hazelton, WV a maximum security prison and she is in for white collar. I think this is ironic they decide to do this right when OIG was coming in to investigate because a inmate delivered a stillborn. She didn't know she was pregnant and when they tested her they didn't tell her she was. She got no prenatal care and they kept treating her for constipation and telling her nothing was wrong. Her husband went to the media and it escalated from there. .....Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 AM

wow what a mess I don't have any answers for you but wanted to wish you luck
Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 PM
FLRebel

Ever since the current camp administrator took over, this has been standard paractice there! When the men's facilities go on lockdown, they choose women to go work there and if they refuse, they are sent to county and then packed out to a different facility. This is the first that I have heard of anyone being sent to a maximum facility for that. Usually, it seems that they are transferred off to Talahassee.

The stillborn incident happened a few months back. When they finally got her medical attention and she found out, shit started going downhill from there. Her husband called in Channel 9 News out of Orlando and they came out, but no one from the entire institution would say anything and they were not allowed anywhere on FCC property. Needless to say, there is retaliation from the staff on that case as well.

Last Saturday, the visitation officer was removed and placed under investigation. She is no longer allowed to work visitation at any of the facilities - although she will keep her job and may still work in other capacities at the FCC.

And the list goes on....
Old 12-26-2007, 10:51 AM
me~n~cj

it wasnt a racial issue, one dude got killed and another got stabbed.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Thanks for the response.......

That is so crazy, I feel like this is from a Lifetime Movie. If my family was not experiencing this first hand, I would not believe someone if they were telling me this was going on.

They should really just clean house there completely including the warden. Just because you have a certain amount of power does not give you the right to abuse it and not follow BOP policies. Even though they are locked up, they are still human beings and don't deserve to be treated like an animal.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Thanks for the response....

We need all the luck and prayer we can get.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

You should email all this information to FedCURE (www.fedcure.org) because they are already dealing with the Coleman administration regarding the "forced vs voluntary" work issue. The warden claims no knowledge of all this until FedCURE contacted them. It would be good for the FedCURE Co-directors to have this information in more detail. I'm PM'ing you with the email address. Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 12-27-2007 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Donation Award 

Apparently, they can assign the women to work at the men's facility when the men's is locked down but they cannot require them to work their regular job AND at the men's facility. I've posted somewhere else here that the Co-Directors of FedCURE have been in contact with the warden there and are trying to help. Email them with your detailed information and that would be helpful to them in their discussions. I've PM'd you with the email address, mimi34. Z.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks.....

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM

I understand that coleman 2 is on lock down again and not expected to get off until late Jan. Also the Warden issued a memo to at least those in the hole saying that they would only get the phone once every 30 days. It looks like January is going to be a long month...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

I have been to Coleman 1 today and 3 times this week and going tomorrow and 2 more days this week..IF YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE IN THE SHU at USP Coleman 1..THEY CHANGED THE VISITING DAY TO THURSDAY ONLY for SHU Inmates..Had a family get processed today to find out her husband is in the SHU now and unable to visit, Can ONLY visit On Thursdays now..Just a heads up....Sure is tedious to visit but sure worth it in the end..The memo I got sent from Tommy earlier this month just said that if Coleman 1 inmates have family in Coleman 2 to tell them they are in lockdown now.. Hope they figure it out soon...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

Hey I have been to Coleman 1 a total of 3 times in 4 days visiting my fiance' and I was told today that the men hate the women for serving them food as the lockdown would end quickly IF the guards had to serve the food! SO That was something I never thought of...
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Donation Award 

Well, in my humble opinion, that's ridiculous of the men to think that the women should jeopardize their good time and the little privileges they have in order to try to end THEIR lockdown! Other institutions have lockdowns who don't have women inmates in that locale and those lockdowns are sometimes lengthy also. Some guard probably made that suggestion, to blame the women instead of the administration!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Default I agree with........

I agree with Zelda on that one. That really just goes to prove my point on how dangerous it is for the female prisoners to be there. My sister had a right to feel unsafe and should never have been there in the first place.

I think the men should know the women that have to serve obviously have no choice if they refuse then they face the consequences like my sister and be shipped over 1500 miles from their home into a maximum security facility.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Yesterday I spoke to the inmate Female camp worker cleaning the visitation room in Coleman 1 and she told me 5 women went to JAIL and lost 4 months of phone, visits etc for NOT serving the men so I do not blame them if they did serve the men. She also told me the womens lockdown lasted 1 week because the CO's got tired of serving the food which is what my boyfriend said would have happened with their lockdown of 2 months IF the women did not serve them their meals..I was just shocked to learn of how the men felt about the women and YES I would say it was dangerous for women to serve the men. Some were really mad about them being there. I had never heard Tommy say a bad word about a woman until I told him I was talking to a female inmate cleaning the building....I sent her 3 magazine subscriptions...she has been in 15 years and has 10 more to go for a CRACK conviction. But Tommy did not appreciate me talking to her because the women served them..his whole attitude changed for an hour over me talking to her..hey he has issues after 13 years in there I guess..
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Yes, my sister was one of those 5. The women would refuse it they had a choice but they CO's on their side retaliate and many times it is to the extreme. Sometimes you have to go along to get along unless it is a situation that may place you in harm's way. I think from the outside it is hard to understand what they go through and it is hard not to take it personal when they lash out. Hopefully your boyfriend won't hold that against you too long and move on. He might not like you being on this website either....lol. Our loved ones have to understand that we feel like at times we are serving the time with them and having some information helps puts our minds at ease. We have to keep our sanity too and try not to let it make us bitter. Hope it works out for you and I will pray for him.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

Default USP Coleman 1 is in lockdown again!

Just tried to use my last visit this morning to Tommy before I fly back to AZ on the 9th...No such luck!

Well Tommy called last night said there was an incident and to beware they may end up in lockdown. I called many times no answer at the prison as usual...so I went to visit and they are in lockdown...

So anyolne with family in USP Coleman 1 not a good time for the men again...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Anyone hear anything about he latest lockdown in COleman 1? Been locked down since 7 Jan so far..Tommy was 3 feet from the commotion but high tailed it out of the way..gangs he says are never going to let Coleman 1 be at peace...
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
me~n~cj

I just got a letter from Kevin, he says they have been on lockdown since Jan.7th due to another stabbing. he said the administration knows that it the gang leaders, but is punishing them all. he has been there 3 months already and hasnt even finished admissions and orientation (A&O) due to the fact that they have been lockdown more than not. he cant get a job or get into any programs until he has completed A&O. He is very frustrated as i am sure they all are. I wish to God he would not have gotten transfered to there. He was in Pekin FCI about 7 miles from me, it sure was alot less nerve racking when he was here. he was here for a long time and was only locked down once. i dont know wbout the rest of you gals, but i lay awake at night wondering if he is going to be the next victim of another stabbing, even tho he is in no way shape or form gang related. these next 6 years are going to very hard. harder than normal. i pray for all of you that have loved ones in Coleman.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Banned

Well Coleman 1 is out of lockdown as of this mornng Tommy called me first thing, but did not call me this evening as he said he would so I have to call to see if they are back in lockdown...
Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 AM
me~n~cj

I hope they are off l/d. it is miserable for them. that place seems to have gone mad..Kevin has been locked down more there in the three months he has been there, than he has been in the last 7 years total !! ohwhatacruise, keep me updated if can please i would appreciate it. Kevin hasnt called me so i dont know if the line is long to get to the phone or what. its all so frustrating,
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

I got a call at 5:30AM my time in AZ yesterday but he did not call last night like he said he would so I called this morning and YES..Once again they are in Lockdown again! Call them 352-689-6000 and do not worry! I used to pull my hair out with worry then decided it is safer for the guys in lockdown..It just means I write 10000 more letters and send more reading materials! LOL I figure at least they are SAFER when locked down than out with the gang members causing the problems...Do you know what unit Kevin is in? Let me know. Tommy may know him...He said a guy named Kevin gave him some antibiotics for his tattoo he got with my name on it and it got infected and "Kevin" gave him antibiotics and it healed during the last lockdown...maybe your man Kevin who knows! LOL Small world if it is him! LOL But you have to know COleman is full of gangs and Tommy says that as long as they are there it will never have peace..just a bad environment for sure......Yeah Tommy has been "down" 13+ years and never had any lockdowns compared to what Coleman is dishing out..I is a bad place for sure..
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
me~n~cj

i dont know what unit kevin is in, but his last name is Flynn. yeah they are safer on lockdown, it just sucks for them, i couldnt imagine being locked up with a person 24/7 especially if that person has bad hygiene habits..lol
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Tommy's cellie has been in like 40 years he is only 57 yrs old but he told Tommy he is 67 but I looked him up on BOP.GOV he is 57...probably did not want anyone to know he had been down since he was a KID...and he gets out 2024 so I can only imagine he is a serial killer or something bad to have that many years in and they do not even speak to one another....

How sad to be locked down in that small enclosure with someone you can not talk too at all....yep a miserable existance! I bet these men can tolerate living with women they do not care for since they are used to having bad roomates..LOL..How long does Kevin have to go there? I will ask Tommy if he knows him!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
me~n~cj

Kevin has 6 more years..ughhh... holy smokes, 40 years !! i dont know if i would want to know what he did to do that much time..lol that must be nerve racking for tommy not to be talking to your cellie..i would go stark raving mad..i HAVE to have someone to talk to, i am jabber jaws..lol