Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Wow Folks

Well isn't it wonderful that you all have to fight. You know maybe her man did not do the crime who are you to say he did Robby I don't know and neither do you. All I know is that prison time is hard for anyone concerned in the persons life. You cannot be a judge of her or anyone else. Personally and finanically I am a very successful person , how about you. I have never ever been in trouble not to say that at one time in our lives we have probably all done something that is not quite right. We just did not get caught. Being poor is not always the persons fault and by having a loved one incarcerated it takes a very huge toll on the financial status of the life of the person at home dealing with it. So we want to complain a bit don't we have that right. I believe by standing by the one that you love gives you that right. Those visits are not cheap and the phone calls . My son is a good and kind person also just cause he is in prison doesn't make him bad. He can still come out with a positive attitude and get on with his life and overcome the mistake he made. There are diffenetly people incarcerated that will always be there or at least always come back because they do not know any other way of life. They are the ones that walk around in there saying man I can't wait to get out and do drugs or have a drink. I see it everyday in my profession.
Anyway this is really not a place to come to pick fights and be nasty it is a forum to give support and to help us to overcome the fears and give us some information on what it true and correct about being in prison. Now you all have a good day and please know that we are all in the same boat and hopefully it will not sink. Take care now and God be with you. Mom
Old 11-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IctTinkerbell
Just by you trying to put down my husband for being true and me for posting what I did makes me think you were one of those lovely prison "snitches". So, is that how you got out of prison so quickly? I think it's hilarious that you want to pick a fight with me. How's your parole officer treating you?
Face it he chose his "homies" or what ever you want to call them over you. I am not trying to pick a fight at all, I have done the crime, and have done the time. I was guilty of what I did. I did my time including parole. What I am saying is I never would be wrongly convicted of something. Why? I would not place myself in the situation. Plain and simple. I have contact with 1. 1! person I have known since my journey started in 2003. Why you ask? Because I want to stay out of trouble. I have a lot to loose, I have a great job, a home that I bought (well will own in 18 more years) and a wonderful son who I have custody of 2 weekends a month. Would I snitch? No! But if it came down to a choice between my family and my friends, there would be no choice, they would not be there for me, nor I for them. How many of your husbands friends visit him? Hopefully more than mine did, I had 2 visits from friends in a year. But mostly I would not come on a website saying how bad Kansas sucks because I got caught. Because a real man takes his punishment, and a real woman sticks behind him.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Default You are right

You are right Kansas is a great place to live. I have been here all of 56 years and have no complaints. For the most part if this person is still wanting to do the same things with the same people he is in the wrong. But if he is there and doing his time that is a good thing. My son is doing his time , he knows that he was with the wrong people that placed him in a bad situation and he could have prevented it all by himself if he would have made a better choice. He did not make that choice so consquintly he is in prison and he will be there and on probation till his time is up. Like I told my son except your mistakes and improve your life and better yourself , he is the one that has to ultimatly answer to himself in front of God. Take care. Mom
Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Come On Wit The Bull

WOW Mom what is goin on here????? You know it really pisses me off when inmates or former inmates get up here and act like they are "GOD" or all of a sudden know no one who did or does wrong... First off I agree "IF" you do the crime then kno that you will do time maybe not in prison but you will have to answer to someone about what you have done, My hubby is not where he is because he was a choir boy. But some of his charges ( not all)are made up by the state and by people out to see him rot. But once you make a name for yourself be ready for the sterotypes to start. I guess my point is this maybe he (her man) didnt do what is his in there for maybe he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, lets face it court appointed attorneys are quick to swap favors with the DA. SO guilty or not of some other crime doesnt mean that he needs to do time on a crime he didnt do. I realize alot of men in the system like to lie to themselves and play the " i didnt do it" card but who are we to say they did or didnt? If you were that worried about passing judgement or making that finding of guilty then maybe you should have thought about that before committing your felony and then you would be able to sit on a jury. I am not here to fight but I am sure not here to watch someone attack a woman that seems to be standing by her man. I know that there arent many women like me and if you need to check my stats ask around. I have never missed a visit and let me tell you prob. spent more money on visits and phone calls in the last 3 years ( 2 more to go) then you will spend on your house once it is paid for. Not a digg just a fact! so when she says she is broke might just be because all the money she did work hard for was all spent on a man in her life she loves. I guess all I am askin is that you dont pass judgement. Why do you care if he did it or not?? are you the victim? my guess is no. lets support ppl and not throw stones. really lets try avoiding it while living in a glass house!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Account Closed

MLamars, you are so right, and I appreciate your comments. Robby340, I am sorry for getting so defensive. My husband is the most wonderful and loyal person I have ever met, so I take any jabs (or words I consider hostile) against him personally. I have a great job, I am 24 years old and own my home (or like you as soon as I pay off the mortgage), I graduated from college with a degree in business administration in 2004 when I was 21. I have personally never been in trouble with the law except for the fact that I am doing time with my husband since 2001. I have been having a really rough go of things lately: my husband has been in and out of the administrative segregation unit, I haven't been able to kiss or hug my husband since August of this year (and before that it was October of 2006!), and I feel all alone since he is my best friend. I am mad at society, the prison system, the government, and everybody in general (including him for things he has no control over). I'm so depressed that it's not even funny. I know there are many others that feel the same way. I know many others have it much worse than we do. I just feel like he and I became the victims in all of this: yes, he wasn't a law-abiding citizen when he was a teenager, no, he didn't commit the awful crime that he's already served 18 going on 20 years for, yes, while he was on parole he was around people (not including me) that were up to no good, no, he shouldn't be serving an additional 7 years for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He says he's not mad that he was put in prison--he's mad at the crazy amounts of time he's been made to serve that are highly disproportionate to the so-called crimes they convicted him of. I apologize again... I just feel beside myself almost all of the time. Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 PM

you know it sounds as if you are really trying to hang tough. Good luck to you. Life is hard but we can all make it. God gives us strength when there seems to be none. Always hold your head high and be proud of yourself. And do know that there are kind people that do care. I have meant some very nice people on this forum. Thanks to them which they know who they are, the time that I am down they have given me some extra words and extra strength to go on. I will send and Angel your way and say a prayer for you and your husband. Good luck. Mom
Old 12-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have been having a really rough go of things lately: my husband has been in and out of the administrative segregation unit, I haven't been able to kiss or hug my husband since August of this year (and before that it was October of 2006!), and I feel all alone since he is my best friend. I am mad at society, the prison system, the government, and everybody in general (including him for things he has no control over). I'm so depressed that it's not even funny. I know there are many others that feel the same way. I know many others have it much worse than we do. I just feel like he and I became the victims in all of this: yes, he wasn't a law-abiding citizen when he was a teenager, no, he didn't commit the awful crime that he's already served 18 going on 20 years for, yes, while he was on parole he was around people (not including me) that were up to no good, no, he shouldn't be serving an additional 7 years for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He says he's not mad that he was put in prison--he's mad at the crazy amounts of time he's been made to serve that are highly disproportionate to the so-called crimes they convicted him of. I apologize again... I just feel beside myself almost all of the time. Thanks for putting up with me.
I apologize to you, Tinkerbell.
Sometimes I get carried away with what I think and what I feel, as we all do. No, I did not do a long time, but as anyone will tell you, a couple of hours is too long. I applaud you for being strong, and doing good, and standing by your man. I have heard so much b.s. in the past couple of years sometimes I cannot take it. Just like how you have anger at the system, so do I, but in different ways. The one friend I mentioned before is locked up again. PV. I have not talked to him in weeks, and have no idea what he did. I will be writing this week. But you like I need to remember we did not put them there. They did with actions and behavior. Nothing more nothing less. He was a good friend, but contact was getting real slow around the beginning of October, like I said I do not know what he was doing, but he knew I would have no part of it.

I am glad you say he is not mad at you for being in prison. He has no right to be (I dont think anyways) But you need to realize he is a big boy, and can make his own decisions. The part of being in Seg, well I could not imagine, I know what it is like there (from stories) and it is not pretty. But about the only thing you can do is write. Tell him its bs for getting the writeups that are putting him there. (Unless he is in for protection) Tell him how much it hurts that your visits are the way they are. Only he can change that, but let him know how it should be.

And nothing personal against your husband, but if someone is coming out of max/ad seg only to be released on the streets it makes it that much harder. Tell his ass to work to get his levels down so he can go to Winfield, El Dorado East, or Hutch East. Then he can get to work release. As you might or might not know, I went straight from RDU to Minimum. Believe me if he can work to get it lowered it will pay off.
Once again, I apologize. Enough rambling, I have a book to read and sleep to sleep.

-Rob
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Account Closed

MLamars, you are very kind. I appreciate it. We will make it through like always. I just need to vent every now and again. God bless you.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM

Default tinkerbell i feel u

I understand my husband also was convicted of a crime he never commited we all know who did it but the cops didnt care people tried to tell them it was him that it was another guy but they were unwilling to look anywhere else kansas police are bull shit

Quote:
I wish my hubby was in work release... I don't care which work release facility although Wichita would be the closest. The state of Kansas sucks, and I'm ready to leave it as soon as I can. The comment that someone made about they committed a felony... that's not true in most of the cases. There's a thing called "injustice" in the United States, and it generally likes poor people. Say what you will about your husband or son, but don't lump my husband in there with him. My husband didn't commit a felony; he got charged with someone elses. My husband's not a snitch, so he got sentenced for something someone else had done. He's getting punished for being a real and loyal man.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Smile Question about wwrc

He everyone, my fiance is in Winfield and supposedly on the way to Wichita Work Release. Are the phone systems there ran by embarq too. Will the phones be any cheaper??? I am in WIsconsin so I am 750 miles away one way. Does anyone have knowledge of special visits there, or their rules on getting married there also? We were told we most likely have to get married before he can relocate out of state. Thanks guys and Happy new year. Lisa
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
livingandlovingthruJesus

Good question Lisa, as my man is being moved to Winfield shortly and then on to Wichita Work Release. I do believe embraq is state wide but thenagain who really knows? They are cheaper then CBS and like you I live in a different state then Kansas.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM

The phones at Wichita Work Release are run by Embarq. This was changed when Embarq was awarded the contract. Before the change, they used payphones, which was really cheap compared to what we had been paying with CBS. As they say, all good things must come to an end.

Sorry I can't help you out with the special visit question or the marriage question.

Wishing you the best.
JnKS

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Visiting was great!!!!

I came all the way from Wisconsin to the wichita work release to visit my man for 6 hours total. They shot down all requests for more visiting time NO MATTER how far I traveled but i got to see him this last weekend and loved every short minute of it. I liked the visiting there much more than Winfield although bringing him Sonic at Winfield was nice. No food brought in at the wwrc but the regular street clothes was really nice. They were very laid back. He is still permanent party until June 1st. Thank god for the work release center though. Even though their visiting hours SUCK, they get to wear regular clothes sent in to them and go to church and walmart. I cannot pick him up for church though because I don't have a Kansas drivers license. We are waiting approval to get married from the warden. I am crossing all my fingers and toes. I didn't really like other parts of Kansas too much but I have to say that Wichita would be the city to live in. It was gorgeous, easy to navigate in and the people and weather were beautiful. God bless you all.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM

i am wondering what it is like in WWR,my hubby will be there in less than 2 months and we are not sure about the rules and stuff like that

thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 AM

PM me if you want all that I know about that place. I will fill you in. My husband has been there for 6 months and will be there for 8 more months. Wichita work release is nice, but very strict.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
lauracowgirl

Default I have a question

My husband is trying to get to work release but they are telling him because he applied for an Interstate Compact he cant. But no one will tell him where there is a rule stating that. If I can get something in writing to his lawyer he will get the post release removed from his record. Does anyone know anything about where I can look or has anyone elses loved been sent to work release pending an Interstate Compact?

This is a great place to get information and I thank everyone for the help they have given me in the past.

Laura
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Default My experience

My husband went to work release way before we got approved for our interstate compact. About a year and a half earlier. You can only apply for interstate compact 120 days out so if he has less time than that, the WRRC won't accept him I am sure. I think you have to have a certain amount of incarceration time left before you can go to the work release center. Lisa
Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Angry Wichita Work Release is a Nightmare - don't do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliegirlie View Post
My Husband is going there soon and I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about it there. Like rules and is there weekend passes to go home or if anyone liked or hated it . Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

I am sending this as an update - for future viewers. My brother went to the Wichita Work Release facility in February 2010. Here has been his experience:
1) One phone for job calls shared among 200 inmates - if you want a job, your FAMILY has to do all of the work finding you one.
2) Most job applications require internet access - there is NONE at WWR.
3) Once you actually GET a job, you can't sleep due to too much noise and uncomfortable beds.
4) You MUST ride the city bus to and from work - unless your job hours are outside the bus route schedule.
5) Work Release is an absolute NIGHTMARE for the inmates AND their families.
6) Once an inmate arrives, they can't spend ANY money on food for snacks until they get a job.
7) They cannot go outside the facility for exercise UNTIL they get a job.
8) They have to have a certain amount of money on their books before they can go to Wal-mart for supplies other than bare necessities.
9) They have to buy their OWN toilet paper - yes you heard it right.
10) 25% of their GROSS wages goes to WWR to pay for their room and board, and NONE of it, yes I said NONE can be sent home to their families to pay bills!!!!
11) Your loved one's life will be a nightmare and so will YOURS in dealing with this situation. It is not worth it - TALK THEM OUT OF IT!!!

My brother got let go from his job because a co-worker didn't like him. He was working too hard and made the others look bad, so they filed a false complaint with WWR. Now, brother is doing an additional 3 months time in prison because of this. I'm telling you - TALK THEM OUT OF IT!!! The people working in there do everything within their power to make life difficult for the inmates and their families - and they try to get them fired from their jobs. It was an unbelievable and horrifying experience. This is no "program" to help the inmates. This is a program for the STATE of KS to make some money off of inmates before they are released back to the public.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Angry Wichita Work Release Experience

Oh, and I must add...

1) The FOOD in WWR is HORRIBLE - it is way, way, way worse than anything they would ever eat in Winfield. It's loaded with carbs and nitrates - hot dogs, burritos, balogna sandwiches, chips, junk food. Nothing good at all. And, they expect these men to WORK on this kind of malnutrition.

2) They starve the inmates with low quantities of horrible food. They get oatmeal for breakfast.

Positive notes - these are the only few good things I have to say:
1) A/C
2) Get to go to church with family on Sunday
3) Wear street clothes - that they buy with their own money.

TELL YOUR LOVED ONES TO STAY IN WINFIELD!!! THEY HAVE A CHOICE NOT TO GO INTO THIS PROGRAM! IT'S NOT WORTH RISKING SPENDING MORE TIME IN PRISON BECAUSE A JOB DOESN'T WORK OUT AND THEY GET LET GO.

If they are going no matter what, brace yourself to spend endless hours helping them find a job - because without your help, they probably will not get one in this economy.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Here's what happens if they lose their job in Wichita and get sent back to Winfield:

1) They FIRST get sent back to El Dorado for 45 days of disciplinary segregation (solitary confinement) with no commissary and NO VISITATION and NO PHONE CALLS during that period of time.

2) They will lose good time credit - and have to be in prison LONGER. How much time depends on what they did. The penalty for getting caught talking on a cell phone is 6 months lost good time credit. But, sometimes they have to call in to WWR to explain why they are running late with their job. It just depends on when WWR wants to make an issue out of it.

Do you seriously want to deal with this??? Think about it... Tell your loved one to stay put and be happy they are almost done. Don't risk additional time in prison for WWR so the STATE can make money off of your work.

One last comment - typically, their co-workers all know they are inmates - so the workers AND managers DUMP on them BIG TIME. They end up doing twice the work everyone else does because they know the inmates can't say anything about it - and the inmates can't sleep at night because of the noise. So, they get frustrated, exhausted, and short fuses...you get the picture. It's a dangerous situation for them - I don't care how calm their nature is. Who can survive under this kind of pressure for very long? It's a rare situation when an inmate has a good job and is under no significant pressure. I'm telling you, this program is NOT WORTH IT!!!

I am writing this in hopes of saving some other families all of the turmoil we have been through for the past 5 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to realitycheck2 For This Useful Post:
HisElaine (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM

I should have looked at this post sooner! but I'm glad I did now. Thanks for posting what you did Realitycheck2! My boyfriend and I have been trying (unsuccessfully) since June of LAST year to get him transferred to WWRF! Everytime he's requested to go they have denied him. We were frustrated with this, but since you've posted this I'm thinking that MAYBE his Unit team knew what they were doing, at least where he's concerned! I'll be sure to tell him to refrain from any further requests! Thanks so Much!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck2 View Post
I am sending this as an update - for future viewers. My brother went to the Wichita Work Release facility in February 2010. Here has been his experience:
1) One phone for job calls shared among 200 inmates - if you want a job, your FAMILY has to do all of the work finding you one.
2) Most job applications require internet access - there is NONE at WWR.
3) Once you actually GET a job, you can't sleep due to too much noise and uncomfortable beds.
4) You MUST ride the city bus to and from work - unless your job hours are outside the bus route schedule.
5) Work Release is an absolute NIGHTMARE for the inmates AND their families.
6) Once an inmate arrives, they can't spend ANY money on food for snacks until they get a job.
7) They cannot go outside the facility for exercise UNTIL they get a job.
8) They have to have a certain amount of money on their books before they can go to Wal-mart for supplies other than bare necessities.
9) They have to buy their OWN toilet paper - yes you heard it right.
10) 25% of their GROSS wages goes to WWR to pay for their room and board, and NONE of it, yes I said NONE can be sent home to their families to pay bills!!!!
11) Your loved one's life will be a nightmare and so will YOURS in dealing with this situation. It is not worth it - TALK THEM OUT OF IT!!!

My brother got let go from his job because a co-worker didn't like him. He was working too hard and made the others look bad, so they filed a false complaint with WWR. Now, brother is doing an additional 3 months time in prison because of this. I'm telling you - TALK THEM OUT OF IT!!! The people working in there do everything within their power to make life difficult for the inmates and their families - and they try to get them fired from their jobs. It was an unbelievable and horrifying experience. This is no "program" to help the inmates. This is a program for the STATE of KS to make some money off of inmates before they are released back to the public.
Sounds like you are buying into convict talk. Work Release is a win win for the inmate and the state. It sure helped me to be released from prison after 5 years with more than $100 "gate money"
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Default New to Work Release

Hiya Everyone, my son just got moved to E. Harry Work Release Facility, and I would like to know what to expect, and how things work there. Anyone that could help me make sense of the confusion of a new place?? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Donation Award 

Hi everyone! My bf is going to be moved to WWRF and I'm just looking to get current info on the place. He's at Ellsworth right now and has talked to a few guys there about it, so has been given some info, but I wanted to check my sources too. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Angry

IDK, the people I had to interact with when I got my exes things weren't too friendly... the only gal that was respectful was the property gal I spoke with on the phone. The short-haired chick did nothing but mumble nasty stuff bout my ex when i was right there... then Ms Cummings wasn't too good with me either, I can only assume he wasn't very popular up there but it in no way excuses the attitude and treatment I got... But he is an ex...

With visitation do I have to be on an approved list to visit my friend like I had to in Sed Cty and how do calls work?