Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM

Post FCI--Big Spring

Just want to know how is this prision ?
Is it good ?
Is it true they do not feed them?
My hubby has been in MDC Brooklyn he did 4 yrs and 4 yrs in Fort Dix and now he is being sent to FCI Big Spring in Dalles anyone want to share any information it will be a great help just want to feel a little better and don`t think all negative things they tell me about FCI Big Spring.
Please Thanx
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I am back yet again

FCI Big Spring is out in the Desert...closer to El Paso rather than Dallas.....my honey is in the private facility right beside the FCI....i have heard gang affiliation is high..but you have that at all prisons....the private facility is great..sorry i dont have to much info on the FCI....i know their are some people on here who have more info for you....
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Finally Free!

FCI Big Spring is has a lot of gang related problems behind the fence. There is a camp adjacent to it where I hear it's no nearly as bad. There's a Unicor program at the low and I'm not sure if the inmates at the camp can work there.

If it's the prison near Dallas, that's FCI Seagoville. It's gotten pretty crowded but my husband did almost 2 years there. Not a bad place to do time & used to be a decent place to visit. Since we haven't been back there since 2005, I'm not sure how much has changed.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM

FCI Big Springs is right off of I 20 between Midland/Odessa TX and Abilene TX. It is located really close to Midland TX. I have heard the camp is ok.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Finally Free!

Default Big Spring FPC

I thought I would post this here since there are often requests for information about the camp at Big Spring, but few posts about the camp life there.

Our friend has been in the low at Big Spring since late 2003. He moved to the camp a little over a week ago. His attitude has improved - he's less stressed & seems to be getting along well. There are Unicor projects at both the Low & the camp. The Low has the factory on the inside & more men are able to work there. The Camp has the warehouse & only can employ about 20 men at a time.

Visiting at the camp is so much more relaxed than at the low. There is no ion scanner & no metal detector. You walk in the building & give your driver's license to the guard behind the desk - fill out the paper on who you want to visit & he pulls out his book to make sure you're on the list. He then calls over to the main building & they send the inmate over. He's also the only guard for the entire visitation area. The one we had over the weekend was really nice & would stop to see how everything was going, etc.

The dress code is relaxed there as well. I saw a woman wearing a white shirt with spaghetti straps & cut-off jeans. Others wore t-shirts with sayings (prohibited in most lows I've visited) & the children were allowed to wear just about anything. Oh...women wore open-toe shoes & sandals without a strap. At the low in Big Spring, everyone had to wear close-toed shoes & all shoes had to have straps around the heel. The guard over there told us it was an OSHA regulation. All other prisons I've visited seemed to follow the same basic rule, although some were a little more lenient than others. This particular guard either didn't care what people wore or the atmosphere is that relaxed.

There's a nice outside area with picnic tables & covering to keep the sun off. One couple sat in a swing and chatted. Others played tag on the grass & other outdoor games (as long as they didn't get rough). It reminded me of a picnic at the park.

I hope this helps those who are looking for info about this camp...I'm sure there are details I left out & if you can jog my memory, maybe we'll see what else I can come up with .
The Following User Says Thank You to sandra8376 For This Useful Post:
Fromoktotx (02-16-2013)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 AM

I have questions on the low facility, if I may? My loved one is being transfered there soon and I have read this facility is for illegal aliens who have 5 years or less. (ICE & US Marshals) Is this true? My loved on is not an illegal. But he does have less than 5 years. You mentioned they have a factory there....what is this about? Can you please tell me more about the low security facility? Also, what is the closest airport to fly into there?
Thank you in advance. Take care and God bless.

"For God so loved the world,
That He gave His only begotten Son
That whosever believeth in Him
Should not perish, But have everlasting life." John 3:16

Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Finally Free!

There is a contract prison there operated by Cornell Corrections that accepts only illegal immigrants who are scheduled for deportation.

The main low facility houses all federal prisoners (some there are illegal, but most are not). There is a Unicorp factory there...mostly electrical work, I think. My friend who was in the low was recently moved over to the camp...he misses the money he made made...his wife can't afford to send the same $200/month he made while working.

You should plan to fly into Midland International Airport -approximately 42 miles from Big Spring. There are hotels in Big Spring...if you plan to shop, etc. while there, I recommend staying in Midland since its a larger community & more to do during your "off" visiting hours. Visitation is on Saturday & Sunday only except for federal holidays...arrive early & expect a long wait. Processing at this low is especially slow compared to others I've visited. I have had a 3-4 hour wait on some days.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 AM

Thank you so much for the info. At what time can you pull into the parking lot there? The last facility we could not be on the grounds (parking lot) til 7am. Then the spaces were numbered and that was the order we were all processed in by. The guards came out between 8:00 and 9am and gave us the paperwork in our cars. The we walked up to the building and waiting til our number was called. Most of the time it took til 9am to see him and visiting was suppose to start at 7am.
Who runs the main low facility? BOP? Not Cornell? How do I know which building to go to the first time? Do you know what crafts and schooling they offer there? Gosh, I am so sorry I have a million and one questions.
Thank you again and God bless.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Finally Free!

The BOP runs the main low. You're not allowed on the parking lot until 7 a.m., so many people just park in the street across from the prison. Some people get there as early as 5 a.m.

When you go inside the lobby, they give you a number - that's the order that you're processed in. One number per family & I've seen many families bring in 3-5 people with them (5 is the max per inmate). They only process in about 10 people at a time...sometimes that's only 2 numbers if they have brought the maximum number in for visitation.

The building that you go into when you first get there is the main processing center - basically the only one you can go inside...you'll see the line out front, trust me.

I have no idea on the types of classes they offer there. My friend worked in the factory & then his foreman recommended him for a scholarship to a university where he is working on his bachelor's in business. Other than his work & schooling, he doesn't participate in much else.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I hate new and unfamiliar. Yes my friend is also working on a college degree and was afraid he would not be able to continue with it at Big Spring.
Take care and God bless.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Donation Award 

I see this thread is old. Does anyone still have a loved one at Big Spring?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Hi,

I have a loved one at Big Spring FCI low. They have just gotten off of an almost 2 week lockdown due to a riot that affected both buildings. Have you heard anything about this?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Donation Award 

OMG!! Thank you so much for telling me that! I hav ebeen worried sick. No, I haven't heard anything. When did they get off lockdown? Were they still receiving mail?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Finally Free!

We have a friend in Big Spring - he's at the camp now & seems to be doing ok.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 AM

My fella is in CI Big Spring which is the private facility. I work on cruise ships, as did my fella and he tells me its a little like being on ship, its quite relaxed but its more regimented. He doesn't really talk too much about it which leaves me to think he isn't telling me all. He said its hard for him to get into a work program as he needs to be bilingual (spanish/english).

If anyone has anymore info on CI Big Spring please let me know xxx
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM

I heard Big Spring FCI is still on lock down......anyone now any update?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM

Default big spring

Hi,

They are not on lockdown anymore. I believe they opened back up before Christmas. A lot of men were transferred, about 400 I think I heard. Almost 200 were in the SHU. This may be old news but I thought I would reply anyway.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 AM

I have heard the same as you Susan. But I heard it was closer to 600 transfered out! I just can't imagine that many being transfered at once though. If they were that violent I sure hope they were put in a higher security prison. Has anyone heard if anyone was hurt?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Default hi

Yes there were men hurt. There were some very serious concussions. Broken limbs, cuts and bruises etc.

I cannot understand though. Is it worth giving up the priviledges of a low facility to go after people as in this riot?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 PM

I have tried searching the local newspapers there and cannot find anything on this. Surely it would have been in the paper, don't you think?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Finally Free!

I doubt it would make the paper...our friend who is there told me once of an inmate murder that never made the newspaper either. They transferred those responsible and no one on the outside was ever the wiser. Truly sad.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Wow! That is awful! The world needs to know what goes on inside prisons.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM

I had a friend at Big Springs. When the riot broke out, he was trying to protect his commessary. They labeled him as a White supremist and transferred him out to Lousiana.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Jenny Te Ama Alfredo

Default Big Spring-TX.. :(

I know there are a few threads about big spring and i've scanned most of them and im starting to get a little worried.

My man has not been sentanced yet but the lawyer is hinting that he will be most likely transfered to Big Spring.

Whats it like? I've read that there is a lot of gang violence... Thats not cool at all.

I am planning on moving to TX to be able to visit my man, whats the nearest town? Will i be able to find a job? or go to school?

I don't want to move to TX and then still have to drive 4 hours to the prison!

please help!
thanks.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Finally Free!

If you can't find a job in Midland or Odessa, you're not looking very hard. Midland is about 42 miles from Big Spring & Odessa is another 30 miles from there. The last time I went to Midland every single business had a help wanted sign - even the fast food restaurants are paying nearly $10/hour for help just to get someone in there.

You can go to junior college at either Midland College or Odessa College. Odessa is also home to the region's university, University of Texas of the Permian Basin. You'll have plenty of time to study - visitation is only on weekends at Big Spring.

Housing is the biggest problem - it could be either very expensive or a wait to get into an apartment. All available apartments are full & have waiting lists - the cost of renting a house has skyrocketed there. My advice is to put in an application & then wait for something to open before you move there. Available day-rates at motels are quite expensive compared to a few years ago as well.

The gang violence is pervasive in most federal prisons, no matter what the BOP says. I think in Big Spring it's especially tense at the low. The camp is laid back & has very few incidents.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandra8376 For This Useful Post:
Alfredo's_lady (04-17-2008)