Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Hi!
My son is headed to Lewisburg Prison Work Camp for three years...He is being held at a county jail right now, so I would really appreciate any advice and information anyone has. I do not know anything about it other than the guy answering the phone there was REALLY nice and chatted away for at least twenty minutes to me?!?
Kathy in Maine
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi KathyInMaine
I wonder if that was officer Kraemer that you spoke to. When I called he was so nice to me. I really appreciated it.

Here is some info that will be helpful for you to know. Please feel free to ask me any questions, I'll tell you what I know.
1) The guys can spend upto $290/month. They buy stuff from the commisary. In order for your son to have spending money it has to be wired to him via western union. I do this at the local grocery store. I printed the form from the western union website so I would know ahead of time how to fill it out. You'll have to have your sons ID#.
2) He can take a few things in with him. I believe a watch, bible, phone/address book (we used the computer and put his on a business card- front & back) and some case. I can't recall what the amount was exactly- I believe $100 or $150. This he can use to money can be loaded on his card (everything there is done thru a card- like an atm card). If he goes in with some case, once his list is approved, he will be able to call you soon. It was about a week before I heard from him.
3) About the phone- when he calls you, a recording will say, you have a prepaid call, this call is from "son's name" you will hear his voice say his name, then it will go on to say, "an inmate at a federal prison" (I'm still not used to hearing that), to accept the call you have to push 5. Then begin talking. He will get 15 minutes to chat. At around 14 minutes you'll hear 2 beeps faintly, that's telling you to wrap it up. He can call you back, but after 30 minutes. They get 300 minutes a month for the phone and that's it. The phone minutes cost $70 for the 300.
3) Mail- you can write back and forth. You can write right away, no waiting for approval or anything. You'll need his ID#. E-mail me (Ironhorse81@aol.com) if you want and I'll give you the address if you want, or you can wait for your son to send it to you.
4) What you can send in the mail: Letters, pictures, magazines, paperbacks, drawings, newspaper clippings, greeting cards. I'm sure you know that it's much cheaper to have a subscription than to buy from the store. You can have the magazines sent directly to your son, I always tell the people taking the information that it has to read exactly as I give it to them. I also got my guy a subscription to the local Sunday paper, they mail it right to him. Keeps him in the loop.
4). Visits: See info in my post. And, ask your son to ask for visitor forms right away. He'll send them to you, fill them out and get them back in asap. The address to send them back to is in about the middle of the form to the right, and write it exactly.

A few other things I've learned about the place, the rules are the rules. There's no fence around the camp, there are markers that tell them they're out of bounds. There's a gym, ball fields, bacci court, they watch tv, they're free to mingle. There is no smoking at all. Some of the guys sneak cell phones, and stuff. Not a good idea, as that can get them put behind the wall. The visits are in a big room with tables and chairs, there's a patio with tables, if it's nice you can sit outside which is cool. There are vending machines with sandwiches, chips and cold drinks. He can go tot he machines with you, but they can't touch money. You can take money, your license and car keys in and that's about it. I carry a little see through clutch purse and put my stuff in that- and lots of one dollar bills and change. Make sure you have is ID#, and your license plate number when you go to visit, you'll have to fill out a form.
In general this has been a scary experience for me, this part is almost over and I can not wait to put this part behind me. It helps that the CO's there have been very nice, some better than others. I hope this info is helpful. Like I mentioned, feel free to e-mail me, we can chat and let me know what other questions you have.
Be strong, Peace.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM

Thanks so much for the info! He is still waiting placement and is a county jail. It was Officer Kramer, by the way, who was so nice.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Yep, he is a very nice man. He helped me alot. He even joked with me saying, hey he isn't going to be here that long so don't go getting a boyfriend ok. LOL
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Default USP Lewisburg Camp Dec 22nd

I just received my letter to report to USP Lewisburg on December 22nd. I am looking for any information about daily life at the camp, activities, food, jobs, etc. Please help with any info!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Lewisburg

I am also going to Lewisburg Camp 11/14 and would also appreciate any info. Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 AM

as am I... unless I get re-designated to FCI Schuylkill or FCI Fairton... info greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Any news from Lewisburg Camp

Haven't heard anything from my friend in a couple of weeks now. Does anyone have information about a lockdown, assault etc. Any details or info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Have you checked the BOP Inmate Locator to make sure he's still there?? www.bop.gov
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Yes, he is still there. Something went down but not sure what.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM

I have a friend at Lewisburg Camp. I took him to self surrender in July and I have gone to visit once since then. What information are you looking for?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM

The "camp" is located right next to the pennitentiary which will soon (January) be transformed to a super-max facility. The camp consist of three building (I think) they are dorm style buildings and contain no wall, fences, or barb wire. You can walk around freely. Outside there is a baseball field where they have ball games when the weather is nice of course. There are no cells or bars in the camp. There are petitions which separate your bunks. There is a RDAP Program there. There is aso the opportunity to work in different areas within the facility (laundry, library etc.) During visitation, you can go outside and there are tables to sit at and visit or of course you can stay inside. There are vending machines in which those on the inside consider a tremendous treat as the food is apparently not edible. Most eat items that they purchase from the commissary. The vending machines take quarters and one dollar bills so if anyone visits you-tell them to bring lots. In terms of commissary, you can spend up to 290.00 per month. You also are allowed 300 phone minutes per month in which you purchase phone cards. This is not counted in your max of 290.00. You also have to purchase stamps which also does not count in your 290. So you can spend 290. in commissary plus postage and phone. In November and December you can purchase an extra 100 minutes due to the holidays. You will be assigned either an odd or even registration number and depending on which that is, you will have certain weekends for visitation. They alternate. Holidays are open to both even and odd. I have more info but really tired. Any specific questions that you are looking for answers to? When you go in, you will have a large initial purchase of clothing etc. that you have to purchase. You have to buy everything including self care products. They give you NOTHING. If you want to be able to watch tv-you will need to purchase a radio which is 50.00 I think. I do have a commissary list here somewhere. Anyway, if you want more info let me know.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maryanninny For This Useful Post:
CHULITA97 (11-24-2009), divinesymmetry (07-24-2009), johninnyc (11-15-2008), Quest0106 (08-12-2009), RY512 (11-15-2008), student0210 (03-30-2009)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be heading there 12/1 so this helps greatly.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi johninnnyc,

My husband jsut received his designation letter today to surrender on Dec. 2. Do you have a private IM?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanked 1,428 Times in 619 Posts

wow the camp sounds pretty good. i was at fmc devens. are you sure that stamps don't count towards the $290.00? because at Devens they did. phone minutes, however did not count. I look at it this way. it is what you make it to be. i found that getting into programs and reading, and doing anything i could sure did help the time go by. just remember don't mess up with counts or get yourself in anything that can get you into trouble and you should be ok. the counts are a real big thing though. i can't even remember how many people i saw wind up in shu over that. they gave people a play the first time around if you were sitting in your cube but second time see ya later. but that was devens not sure how it'll be at your place, but countwise i'm sure is the same anywhere
Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 PM

I am positive that stamps do not count towards commissary. My friend tells me that everyone at camp is pretty laid back and that the guards aren't too bad. Of course you always have a bad seed in the bunch. He tried to help a kid out and landed himself in the "hole" for the last three weeks and will remain there until Dec. This cost him alot. He also lost phone priviledges for the next six months. Ummm, trying to think of what ever information that might help you guys out. When you get there, you have to make a rather large purchase of clothing etc. You will need pants and shirts (khaki colored) don't know if you purchase these or not but I imagine so. You will need to purchase socks 8.15 for a 3 pack, boxer briefs 8.70-11.30, sweat shirts range from 16.40-28.60 each, sweat pants are from 16.40-28.60 each, t-shirts, thermal shirts etc. The radios to watch tv are 43.80, watch if you want one is 36.55. Then of course you have to purchase all your hygiene items as well to include bath towels at 7.05 each. They give you nothing. You have to buy your own soap, toilet paper etc. etc. Mackerel, you will want to buy and there is a limit of 14 per month. This is the monitary item on the inside. You can receive paperback books in the mail from home but all hard covers must come from the publisher for example Amazon.com. You will want alot to read b/c unless you are in RDAP and/or working, you will have a great deal of time doing nothing. There is a gym that you can utilize to work out. I do not know anything about the parole stuff. If you can manage to get into the RDAP program, if there is any history of alcohol or drug use in the last 12 months, you can get into the program which is a nine month program and then when you complete it you go to a halfway house for a brief time and then home. This can knock a GREAT deal of time off your sentence. I think you have to have less than 30 months to go before eligible for the program. If you are fortunate enough to get into this program-don't take any chances of screwing it up. The least little thing will cost you the program. Well, I hope this helps a little further. If there are any other specific questions that I might be able to answer, let me know. If I can think of any thing else that might be helpful, I will post later. Good luck to all!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maryanninny For This Useful Post:
divinesymmetry (07-24-2009), student0210 (03-30-2009)
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Default I have to report on January 5th

Thanks for your post. How much money should I take with me to buy all of this stuff when I go. I was just notified that I have to report on Jan 5th. Also, any idea on what kind of jobs they have there. anything else would be great.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Going to Lewisburg Camp next month

I self report to Lewisburg Camp next month. Hard to find information on here. I pretty much have the basics down. How are the other campers there? Are there any decent jobs to get at some point? What are the bunks like etc? Anything would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Hi publius

From what I can tell from the visits, most of the guys are decent. Many are middle aged, some are elderly, from all walks of life such as doctors, gov't officials, business owners and heads of corporations. At the camp everyone is on their best behavior- no need to screw up a "good" thing and end up behind the wall. Which is a result of causing trouble, sneaking prohibited items like cigarettes and cell phones, drugs from visits etc. The guys watch TV at night and walk alot during the day. There are stray cats that live there and lots of ducks, they feed them. I'm sure they'll put you to work. There's a garage where the equipment and vehicls are repaired and maintained, that's one of the jobs. Another is in the wood shop, there's a print shop and the kitchen of course. The bunks are not too comfortable- steel with a skinny little mattress and the food isn't too great- I hear a great deal about the bunks and the food. Many of the guys buy food at the commisary and make their own. Be sure to take some $ with you (upto $200), address book and phone numbers to put on your call list. Ask for your visitor forms right away and send them to your people asap. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll answer what I can and get the answers for you that I don't know off the top of my head.
Peace.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Lewisburg PA

146daysorless,

Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea on whether they have a chapel or library or computers. How about the Trulinc email service? I know the computers are not hooked to internet but typing things up sure beats writing sometimes.

About how many campers? Is it 2 or 3 to a "room". Can I western union money to my account ahead of time.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Hi Publius

Good Day Publius,

I belive there is a chapel, there is a library. Haven't heard anything about computers or e-mail. The last time I checked, the count at the camp was 553 and the big house was 1555. Right now the population is low enough so they only have 2 to a cube. Not sure about western union ahead of time, you can take the cash with you and they'll load it on your card when you get there. I know what ya mean about the typing vs. writing.

If you can think of anything else let me know.
Peace,

"Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea on whether they have a chapel or library or computers. How about the Trulinc email service? I know the computers are not hooked to internet but typing things up sure beats writing sometimes.

About how many campers? Is it 2 or 3 to a "room". Can I western union money to my account ahead of time. "
Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Smile Lewisburg

146daysorless,

Thanks that was very helpful. If i think of anything I will post.

Publius
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy to finally find some folks that are in Lewisburg. My husband reported on Dec 5th and it is still a shock to me but we're managing. The first few days were very hard and then an extremely nice woman called me a few days later and said that her husband had met up with mine and he asked her to call me to let me know that my hubby was ok and would call as soon as possible. When we went to surrender I have to say that the people we dealt with could not have been nicer or more understanding. It actually catches you a little off guard because you're prepared for the opposite. I haven't visited yet, my first visit will be next weekend so I don't have any other information about that. My husband was able to call me for the first time after about 6 days and we speak about every other day. He said he has been working in plumbing in the big jail (which is the scariest thing I've ever heard of because he is not a "handy guy"!) but he seems to be happy to have something to do and it helps to pass the time. He is in a room with 2 other men and says that most of the guys there are fine and there hasn't been any problems so far.

I'm glad there are a few others here. Looking forward to keeping in touch!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:39 PM

Default More on Lewisburg

Miracle08,

Thanks for your post. I report to Lewisburg on January 5th. I have read a few posts that say the people there were very nice when people checked in. My wife and three children are all going with me. Did they let you take his cloths back. I talked to one guy who was there a few years ago and he actually wore plain grey sweats and white sneakers and they let him keep them. I was able to find a picture of just the camp and that made my kids feel better.

Maybe this should turn into a dedicated Lewisburg Forum.

Publius
Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Publius & Miracle08

Hi,

Miracle08, sorry for the circumstances, but nice to have you here.

Publius, yes your clothes will go back with you wife. The guys wear khaki colored pants & shirt, carhart jackets (winter) for visits & "work", during their off time they wear sweats & sneakers.

Here's a tip for visit day- when you have an early visit (8am - 3pm) your visitors have to be there by 9am, after that they will have to leave and are not able to get back in until around 10:30am (because they do a count during that time). On either visit (8am-3pm or the 5pm-8pm visit) have your visitor/s get there 30 minutes early or so, park just before the gate. About 5 minutes before they can roll thru the gate and go up the road/driveway. The woman that lives in the house on the right just before the gate is NASTY, very mean. She usually comes out screaming like a nut, she's ripped into me about 6 times already, I just make sure I'm not on the edge of her grass, near her mail box or driveway and after a few minutes she goes away. Thanksgiving day she started in and even told me she's sorry for my life. I told her well lady, I'm more sorry for your life, since you wake up like that and given my circumstances I don't even act like you (LOL). So you know, when visitors approach the gate ans see cars parked there, this is what they're doing- waiting to get in so everyone needs to wait in line... Any how, once inside they'll fill out a form when they get in, they'll have to have their license handy and your number as well as make year and plate number of the car. Once the form is filled out, they give it to the guard with license and then they sign in in the book, where they again have to write your name and number. Once they get into the visiting room, after enough visitors show, they'll open the other side which has several big kitchen type tables and chairs- which is a good reason to get there early, otherwise all the good tables are taken because it's like a stampede when they open the other side and all that's left is the little chairs which are not too comfy. There are vending machines with sandwiches, hot stuff and bottled water, soda etc. Everything in the sandwich/hot machine is $3.50 so make sure they have lots of dollar bills handy and when it's nice out they open the patio. Hope this helps.

20 days left and counting down. It's finally sinking in I think.

Stay warm.
Peace
The Following User Says Thank You to 146DaysOrLess For This Useful Post:
siblinglove (09-10-2009)