Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Yes they can call make collect calls to cell phones. I would recommend you call this number 800-844-6591 and set up a prepaid account so when he does call you can accept the call.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Clubboss

Older gentleman are very common at Taft. The oldest was 78 when I was there.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Older then that when I was there. Some of the info about phone calls are a little off. PM if you have questions, was there recently.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 AM

Default Does anyone know if Taft offers exercise equipment or email?

Does anyone know if the camp at Taft has any weights, weight machines, barbells, dumbells, benches, etc?

Do they offer email?

Thanks guys, going in soon, just trying to find answers for the smallest of quesions.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Going

Default weights

Yes they have plenty of exercise equipment, they do Not allow any weights, weight machines of any kind. They have everything else that you could imagine. Look up Michael Santos on the web and you will learn lots. I left in Feb but it has not changed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragexxl View Post
Does anyone know if the camp at Taft has any weights, weight machines, barbells, dumbells, benches, etc?

Do they offer email?

Thanks guys, going in soon, just trying to find answers for the smallest of quesions.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 AM

Default Anyone know about Taft CI?

My husband is being transferred to Taft Federal camp. We were hoping he would be closer to home to make visiting easier. Does anyone know anything about Taft CI? I heard it is in the S. California dessert, very hot and not very easy to visit. Also, I've heard a google phone line might be the cheapest or a local line. Anyone know?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM

FCI Taft Camp

ABSTRACT

Located in the Joaquin Valley of southern California, surrounded by miles of desert, scrub bushes and Joshua trees, FCI Taft Camp houses about 600 inmates in four separate housing units (A4A, A4B, A4C & A4D). Taft Camp is a non-secure satellite facility managed by MTC (Management Training Company?) a for-profit private prison operator. Prior to 2007, FCI Taft was managed and operated by The GEO Group, another for-profit private prison operator. Financial issues at Taft are paramount given the profit motive associated with the private operators. Inmate population at the camp is evenly mixed with: 40% Spanish, 30% blacks and 30% whites. The different races cohabitate well.

The following narrative is based on my experience at the FCI Taft Camp in 2006. I was at Taft Camp before receiving two incident reports, increasing my points and being shipped to FCI Lompoc Low. This editorial does not contain insights regarding institutional life at the Low security main compound at FCI Taft.

WEATHER

Located in the middle of the desert, average daily summer temperatures are scorching and often in excess of 100 degrees under scalding sunny skies. Summer heat can be problematic. As such, the living units, chow-hall, education building and all support facilities are air-conditioned. Average daily winter temperatures are pleasant and generally 60-70 degrees. Winter coats are distributed to inmates but worn for only a few months.

HOUSING UNITS

Built in the late 1990's, the Taft Camp maintains very modern living quarters with two-man and three-man cubicles in a two-story concrete building. Each living unit is self contained on a single floor with three TV rooms (one each for Spanish, blacks & whites), laundry with washers & dryers, microwave room, quiet room with two tables, an enormous day room with more TV's, chairs and tables. The living units contain ample toilets, showers and sinks all with modern fixtures. There are generally no waiting lines for bathroom facilities. The living facilities at Taft Camp are very, very nice.

FOOD & COMMISSARY

Food sucks. This is entirely due to the profit motive associated with the private prison operators who attempt to minimize food costs. In 2006, there was a rumor that the GEO Group was able to reduce food costs to 53 cents per man/per day. Commissary was superb! This is again due to the profit motive associated with the private prison operators. The more commissary they can sell to the inmates, the more profit they record.

UNICOR – PRISON INDUSTRIES

None.

NON-UNICOR EMPLOYMENT

Like many other federal prisons, there is a scarcity of work at the Taft Camp. Each inmate is assigned work 7 hours per day but that work may require only 10 minutes of actual labor.

Inmates with Community Custody status are eligible to participate in the institution's work furlough program where they can leave the prison and work construction or landscaping jobs in the surrounding towns. In 2006, the work release "out-crews" were employed at a local church doing construction work, in the City of Maricopa performing landscaping work and on a highway beautification project gathering trash from local roads. Inmates on the “out-crews” eat real food for lunch outside the prison. Such meals often consist of pizza and the like. Given the terrible food at the prison, many inmates participate in the work release program just for the food. Very few inmates at the Taft Camp are eligible to participate in the work furlough program. In 2006, of the 600 inmates at Taft Camp, only about 25 inmates worked in the program.

IMMIGRATION

No immigration issues at the camp.

RELIGION

Weekly religious services for all faiths are offered in the camp visiting room. Acoustic and electric guitars and other musical instruments are available for such services.

RECREATION

Recreation is limited at Taft Camp.

Outdoor facilities include: circuit training with a running track, pull-up and dip-bars, softball field, soccer field, basketball court, two tennis courts, bocce, horseshoes, exercise bicycles, medicine balls, elliptical trainers and treadmills. Indoor facilities are limited to a crafts shop and other similar classes. There is no indoor gymnasium at Taft Camp.

LIBRARY & EDUCATION

The leisure reading and law libraries at Taft Camp are very good and include a wide selection of books, magazines, newspapers, legal resources, typewriters and a photocopy machine. Inmate legal clerks provide legal advice and will prepare briefs and other related legal documents for inmates in need of such. In 2006, several ex-lawyers worked in the law library as inmate legal clerks. The library provides typewriter cartridges, correction ribbons and paper free-of-charge.

Inmates without high school diplomas must participate in the institution’s mandatory GED program. In 2006, college correspondence courses were offered through Taft College. Not sure if such college classes are currently offered after the management change from GEO to MTC.

CONTRABAND

Limited. The open campus allows for the introduction of drugs & alcohol however such items were limited in volume. In 2006, prior to the management change, tobacco was sold in the commissary. Not sure if Taft Camp went non-smoking in 2007.

VIOLENCE

Very rare. I was at Taft Camp for 1 ½ years and saw only one altercation.
CONCLUSION

Taft Camp is hot and boring. It’s a safe place to do federal time and is most suitable for sports enthusiasts who enjoy playing tennis and basketball all day.

The biggest perk at Taft Camp is the work-release programs IF you can obtain Community Custody and qualify for work-furloughs. Time goes very quickly while employed on the “out-crews”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archie999 For This Useful Post:
clubboss (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Clubboss

Default Taft

Good post Archie999 accurate and informative, I was there for around 13 months, I just left in May.

Smoking is still permitted as it’s privately run.

The daily rosters while were kept on the officers’ desk in the dorms had a racial breakdown. Whites (majority older guys) were like around 180, Hispanics were right behind them in the count, with around 150. Slightly less than 100 black guys and around 60 Asians. There was an “other” category as well, which usually had a count of around 20.
When I was there the total camp count hovered between 480 and 540, and 540 is pushing it. There were around 125 per dorm.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Default CI Taft - Call cell phones

Does CI Taft allow inmates to call families cell phones?
The Following User Says Thank You to coffee0001 For This Useful Post:
Stephanie123455 (06-25-2013)
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Default No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee0001 View Post
Does CI Taft allow inmates to call families cell phones?
Inmates can call cell phone's anywhere in the world, just cost's more for overseas calls.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Valley Fever information

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulaytu View Post
Hello and God Bless you all and your families I'm new at this so please bear with me my husband might get sent to taft and there was some rumors going around that Taft had Valley Fever can anyone confirm that and if so how might he be able to prevent catching it I'm not familiar exactly with that but maybe I'll go online and get more information on Valley Fever
so if any one know please write back and once again may God Bless You All.
Hello. I am working with a client who contracted Valley Fever while at Taft CI. You may contact me directly at e-mail address removed per PTO policy -please PM member. I will share what information I can, and it would help my client if I heard from others who had knowledge of people contracting Valley Fever at Taft.

Be well, Ian

Last edited by waiiting4him; 07-29-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Default TCI Taft Ca

Anyone with loved one there?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Anyone have recent information on Taft CI? My love just self surrendered today and I'm just curious as to how long I will have to wait to get my first phone call
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi there, I'm trying to find out any information about an acquaintance of mine, Joe Tang, who was at Taft Low from 2008 until his release in July, 2010. He is asian from Canada, and there has been no news since his release from Taft - he is probably still in ICE somewhere. But if anyone who had any knowledge or contact with him during his stay at Taft could provide any info on it, it would greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsfriend View Post
The only phone call they can make initially is to someone on their PSI. Others they have to go through an approval process to call. That could take a week, depending upon the COs attitude of the day.

Taft uses collect calls or they can buy phone cards in the commissary. For us it is less than half the cost to use the phone card. They get 300 minutes of phone time per month which they pay either of those ways and they can call anyone on their approved list.

Watch the mail for him to send visiting approval forms. Turn them around ASAP. They get mailed to the counselor.

I just overhead the operator today giving instructions to still mail US Postal money orders directly to them for commissary. Or, you can put them through a slot when visiting.

Visiting is modest clothing that is not white or shades of tan/khaki

Hi, sorry if this sounds silly - im new to all of this, What is a PSI?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Donation Award 

Hello,

My husband is at TAFT FPC (The Camp) since Oct. 24, 2011 and releasing May 2013 There have been no posts here since Aug 2012, so if anyone is looking for information or has questions specific to the TAFT Camp, I am pretty familiar now with how things work, visits, rules, etc.

Cindy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wifewaits For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-13-2012), gem45 (08-12-2012), MiniMoose (05-12-2012), tdibear (06-24-2012), Test of time! (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Home by 2014 !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifewaits View Post
Hello,

My husband is at TAFT FPC (The Camp) since Oct. 24, 2011 and releasing May 2013 There have been no posts here since Aug 2012, so if anyone is looking for information or has questions specific to the TAFT Camp, I am pretty familiar now with how things work, visits, rules, etc.

Cindy
i do please my husband will be there shortly from san bernadino i live in bakersfield thank goodness god has been good on this hard journey. my ques plural are 1. allowed to take pics 2. what can we take in food games ?? 3. are we able to have any contact at all?? 4. is low diff than camp area/ visiting days.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Home by 2014 !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallawdog

Hello. I am working with a client who contracted Valley Fever while at Taft CI. You may contact me directly at e-mail address removed per PTO policy -please PM member. I will share what information I can, and it would help my client if I heard from others who had knowledge of people contracting Valley Fever at Taft.

Be well, Ian
I Amazon nurse. Valley fever is not contagious but is found in spores in soil that had not been tilled in long time. The spores become airborne and you would have to take in three to my understanding of most recent findings of those spores at one time. Hard to do. But as safety procaution you can use mask to protect yourself if windy. Hope this has helped.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Home by 2014 !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test of time!

I Amazon nurse. Valley fever is not contagious but is found in spores in soil that had not been tilled in long time. The spores become airborne and you would have to take in three to my understanding of most recent findings of those spores at one time. Hard to do. But as safety procaution you can use mask to protect yourself if windy. Hope this has helped.
I also live in San Joaquin valley about 40 mind from Taft and my daughter. Has valley fever any ques I can answer I will
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,035 Times in 12,727 Posts

Valley fever has been in the area forever. It is a fungus that grows in the lungs after breathing the spores as the others have said. I imagine it can be blamed on the bop or doc since the inmates have no choice about being placed at risk for the disease in Taft, but that's only my opinion.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test of time! View Post
i do please my husband will be there shortly from san bernadino i live in bakersfield thank goodness god has been good on this hard journey. my ques plural are 1. allowed to take pics 2. what can we take in food games ?? 3. are we able to have any contact at all?? 4. is low diff than camp area/ visiting days.

The Low is different than the Camp. Visit days are different. You should be able to visit right away as the wife you will be in the PSR report, so you won't have to wait to be cleared. Dress Code is strictly enforced. Don't wear white, grey, tan or khaki clothing. You must wear a shirt or blouse with cap sleeve at a minimum. Long pants, and closed toed and closed heeled shoes, otherwise you will be sent to TAFT K-Mart for a change of clothes. Best Best, Blue Jeans, dark T-shirt and Tennis Shoes.

Visits are in an open lunch room with vending machines for food, drinks, etc. You can't take anything in but keys, money limited to $30 for food and eyeglasses if needed. Also these items must be kept in a transparent/clear baggie or purse.

You can send photos, you cannot bring them in. Games are available in the visiting room, you can't bring them in.

Call the main number at TAFT CI to get the visit schedule for the Low side. You can visit from 8 to 3pm and usually can spend the whole day, unless too busy and then it is first in, first out to make space for other visitors. I have never been asked to leave in the 8 months I have been visiting almost weekly.

There is a point system for visiting, at Camp you get 20 points per month. Weekend days are 6 points each and Friday is 4 points. Federal Holidays are FREE and do not count towards the points.

Also, phone time is 300 mins per month. You can set up an account at Securustechnologies.com and the inmate money transfer system and email is Jpay.com

Best of luck and is you have anymore questions, let me know and I will try to help.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM

does any one know if the visits there are through windows or in person?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiaz1 View Post
does any one know if the visits there are through windows or in person?
All visits are in an open lunch area with tables and chairs with vending machines. There is no behind the glass visits at TAFT

Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 PM
gem45

Question Taft ci wives/grlfriends

Any taft women here who have men in the camp so we can trade info??
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Is Jewelry allowed in Taft Federal prison during visits?

Hi I am going to visit my boyfriend in Taft federal prison (taft, ca), he just got moved here from texas, I've never visited anyone before in prison and I am curious if jewelry is allowed? Thank you for any help