Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Tennessee Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Default problems with visitation at Hamilton Co. Jail

issed:

I AM SO MAD!!!

Tried to go see my husband on Christmas Eve, after calling and asking procedure, and they turned me away saying that he is in protective custody and has to have a special visitation as he can't mix with the rest of the prison population. I was supposed to call a Lt. Coppinger to arrange this visit, and when I finally spoke to him on Friday, he told me that Scott (my husband) could have regular visitation and that he would put it on the computer that I would be allowed to see him. So guess what happened when I tried today???

RIGHT! They turned me away AGAIN, and said I had to have something in writing from the Lt. this time!

What would ya'll suggest I do?? I haven't seen my husband since he was arrested; in fact, none of his family has. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were trying to prevent me from visiting him.

Cynewise
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2004, 10:14 AM

Default an update

OK, it seems to have worked out. I've seen him twice now. NO THANKS to the Hamilton Co. Jail system! Also, I'm coming to learn that certain guards are better about visitation than others, less strict. There is one lady there that is constantly giving people coming for visitation problems. She turned one lady away because her driver's license had expired, and told another lady there that she "needed to watch dress code" when she was wearing sweatpants!

Fortunately, his visitation is different days now, so I don't think I'll run into that lady anymore. He's been moved to the medical floor as he has lymphedema in his left leg and they want to keep an eye on it. He's already been in the hospital once for it since he's been in jail. Cynewise
Old 01-17-2004, 12:38 PM

County jail usually stinks. Believe it or not, prisons (in Tennessee anyway) seem to be less strict.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:04 PM
takin one day at a time

I had trouble when my boyfriend was incarcerated in Brushy Mountain, they wouldn't let me see him because we wasn't married not even his son. But now that he's been moved to Whiteville Correctional Center things with visitation is better but it takes 7 to 8 hours to visit him. So I don't get to see him as much as I would like to. That brings me to my question okay he got parole back in nov. 21, 2003 and they're not going to let him out until July, well I would like to move him closer to where I'm at, so he could see his child more often. Will they do that if he gets out on parole 6 months away? If anyone knows anything I would appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 09:13 PM
takin one day at a time

I mean 7 to 8 hours to get there to visit him .
Old 01-18-2004, 04:32 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,245 Posts

You could try to get him moved but I wouldn't bet any money on it. I know in Alabama it often takes that long (six months) or more for them to process any transfer requests that aren't of an "emergency", so I would guess it's probably that way most places, sorry to say...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
takin one day at a time

Thanks for your information....ya I think it will take longer than 6 months or they might not even move him since he only has that long. But what I didn't understand was...if they give you a parole hearing and they tell you there ya your more likely to get it and give you a date already, I didn't think it would be that long away.. I thought if you go up for parole and you get it you get out in a month or so? But I guess I was wrong. Thanks again Lysbeth.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissmylove
But what I didn't understand was...if they give you a parole hearing and they tell you there ya your more likely to get it and give you a date already, I didn't think it would be that long away.. I thought if you go up for parole and you get it you get out in a month or so? But I guess I was wrong. Thanks again Lysbeth.
You're welcome, and it's different everywhere in every state and system... I don't really know what's up with Tennessee and paroles right now but that's changed back and forth over the years, for instance when my ex's brother got out (about 14 years ago) he was out within a month. Who knows. In Alabama currently, most people seem to be getting out within a few weeks or month or so, but then there are differences with things like those being paroled out of state. A friend here's husband got paroled from Alabama to Mississippi pretty quick, within a month or so; another Alabama inmate I know got paroled to Georgia within two months; but for the most part out of state paroles can take up to six months or more. Just never know, I think it's probably different with every state and every individual case.

Take care and good luck,

Lys
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
takin one day at a time

Thanks Lsybeth, that let me know about how it goes. I really appreciate it. I wish you luck and god bless.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:38 AM

Shelby county jail in Memphis REALLY SUX....The people are rude,rude,rude. When My hunny was in there after the first few visits I started taking my daughters boyfriend with me....Hes a big guy with a shaved head and a bouncer at a local club....that seemed to stop the Smart A** remarks and such. hehehe
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
pammie55us

Thumbs up

Hey sugar, I'm Pam and I have a son in Hamilton Co. jail too....Yes they are a large pain....I also have a son in prison in Whiteville..near Memphis and it's easier to get in to see him than it is Shane at the co. jail....Let me know what floor he's on and what his court date is...Maybe I'll see ya down there....Hugs..Pam...Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammie55us
Hey sugar, I'm Pam and I have a son in Hamilton Co. jail too....Yes they are a large pain....I also have a son in prison in Whiteville..near Memphis and it's easier to get in to see him than it is Shane at the co. jail....Let me know what floor he's on and what his court date is...Maybe I'll see ya down there....Hugs..Pam...Matt & Shanes Mom

Hi Pam. What information can you give me about Whiteville? It looks as though my brother is going to be transferred there from West Tennessee.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 PM
takin one day at a time

I can tell you alittle stuff about Whiteville my man has been down there almost a year now....the people down there won't tell you s***. Lets just say I wish my bf wasn't down there I would love for him to go somewhere else. The guards are rude to the prisoners, they treat them like dirt. Last week I went to visit my bf with my son we drove 8 hours from kingsport to see him and we got there at 9 something didn't get to visit him all day long, we got to visit for 3 and half hours if that. Then my mom tells them how far we drive and the lady she talks to already knows b.c my mom talked to her last time. Well the girl is sweet but she failed to mention if my man knew a week early when we was coming down that he could fill a piece of paper out sayin he wants a all day visit. So down in Whiteville prison no one knows anything, everytime you call and ask them what day visitation is since it changes every month from saturday to sunday they have no clue. And during visitation they'll get onto you for anything that possibly can the machines there to eat hardly ever work. Maybe it will be a better experience for you, and one more thing they don't give your loved one messages for you they tell you ya we will and turns out they can't get off their butt to. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
takin one day at a time

But I'm thanking god I don't have to go through that prison much longer, he'll be out in a few months. I hope that helped you out alittle bit.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:56 PM
pammie55us

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINDYinIN
Hi Pam. What information can you give me about Whiteville? It looks as though my brother is going to be transferred there from West Tennessee.
Where to begin....Whiteville is a private owned prison and is a true pain in the but...the guards have attitudes and they tend to treat the people who visit as if their the crminals...Their very strict...Matt said that they really keep an eye on everything and in a way thats good, he's only seen 2 fights since he's been there....Visitation is all day if you travel over 100 miles...it starts at 7:30 in the morning and last till 5:00 if you want to stay....They don't have a lot for kids to do and they get nasty if kids get to loud. It doesn't take long to get in ....usually it takes about 10 minutes from the time I enter the front gate to get in and sit down...unless they have problems with the computers and then it only takes about 30 minutes which isn't bad....It's out in the middle of no where and if ya wanna find food or something to do you have to drive about 25 miles .....I'll think of more and you can pm me if ya want...I'll be glad to give you any more info I can...Hugs..Pam ..Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
takin one day at a time

But don't you have to fill a piece of paper out pam, to get a all day visit? Because I drive almost 500 miles and I haven't got to visit him all day long. Or did the girl just tell me that so we wouldn't fuss with her. Well anyways ....god bless you all.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:08 PM
pammie55us

No I didn't have to fill out anything for an all day visit...We just told them we were from Chatt. and we had to drive 367 miles to visit him...they told us we would never be made leave, due to the long drive....Maybe some other prisons are different....call and ask the supervisor over visitation and they can let ya know....Pam..Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
takin one day at a time

thanks ill try and do that...i know every time we go i tell them how far we drive and it seems like they don't care. But thanks for telling me that. God bless.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
pammie55us

Your welcome sugar let me know if it works...Pam..Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-03-2004, 03:38 PM
pammie55us

I would like to tell you that Whiteville will let your boyfriend be moved closer to home, but it's a private prison and they want that money....also he's a short timmer....matt will have his sentence flattned in about 9 or 10 months so he short time to and they won't move anyone unless they have a few years left on their sentence....I just love CCA prisons...their just a pain in the ***I'm in Chattanooga and we drive 5 hours to see Matt in Whiteville....It's an expensive trip cause I'm disabled and can only ride for so long in the car so we have to spend the night....Wish I could tell ya better news....Hugs..Pam..Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 PM
pammie55us

She just told you that so you wouldn't give her any grief on her shift...ask to talk to her supervisor....if you drive that far you have rights to visit all day...I know thats the way Tenn. prisons work....Brushy works like that, Bledsoe and Whiteville and Hardeman co.....She just didn't want to do anything as far as her job was concerned that day...Pam...Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
takin one day at a time

Ya i figured she didn't want to hear my mouth, most of the guards down there don't do a great job. And it is along way to drive to whiteville when i visit i spend the night down there. See they don't care about the prisoners having family to visit or how far they drive just to see them. They probably won't move my man since he'll be getting out in 5 and half months, i wish they would though b.c that place is driving me crazy. My man told me that the guards bring in narocitics for the prisoners to sell for them, then they bust them. Did you hear about one of the female guards sleeping with and fulling with two prisoners in there, and when she got caught she said they was trying to rap her. I believe I talked to the supervisor shes the one who told me that he would have to fill out a piece of paper which she probably lied about she could have let us stay but just didn't want to. God bless.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM
pammie55us

Your sooo right...they don't give a crap about anyone out there...they treat the peole who come to visit like they've done something wrong just for going to visit someone they love...I can't stand that place....I wouldn't doubt about anything that happens out there...I went to visit Matt back in the summer and they were doing car searches..lookin for drugs...When I got in told Matt what happened he told me there was a pound of pot sitting outside the prison waiting on a guard to get it in there...but they were really trying to crack down...yet in a few days the stuff got in there....they do what they want and make up the rules as they go...God Bless ya sugar........Pam..Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Sweet Tator

Boy I can hardly wait til my first prison visit in Florida. I pray I dont get all this crap from them yahoos.I have only seen my son in county jails so far. He is now in CFRC.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM
pammie55us

It seems like that prisons are actually better to deal with than a co. jail...the co. jail here in Chattanooga is a piece of crap :argh .... it takes hours to get in for a 1 hr. visit and you can't even touch them..When we go to visit Matt in prison out in Memphis it only takes about 10 or 15 min. to get in....I hope it's better for him sugar...can't wait till you get to visit him...let us know when you get to go visit him...Hugs...Pam...Matt & Shanes Mom