Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in North Carolina should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Paper Parole

Hi all,

A few years ago, our attorney told us that N.C. was no longer allowing paper paroles. Lo and behold, one of the guys at my husband's camp got one. I never would have believed it, but my husband actually saw the guy's letter and said that it is, indeed, a "paper parole."

Does anyone know when the state changed their mind about this? This guy's letter was dated July 2003.

Apparently our lawyer hasn't even heard about this yet because he hasn't even mentioned it to us. The guy has the exact same sentence my husband has, only he's been down a little longer. He thought he had 40 years left on his sentence but because of this paper parole, his programmer says he will probably be in honor grade before the year is out and home within another 3 or 4 years.

Does anyone know what's going on?

When the weather clears, I'm going to call my husband's Parole Case Analyst and see if he can clue me in, but I seriously doubt anyone has worked for the past couple of days because of the bad weather.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2004, 07:38 PM

I've never even heard of a paper parole. What is it?

Candy
Old 01-28-2004, 04:36 PM

As I understand it, a paper parole can be given when someone is serving a life sentence plus another sentence, consecutively. It's called a paper parole because once the state has decided that you've done enough time to complete the life sentence, they give you a piece of paper saying you've been paroled from the life sentence and are now working off time on the consecutive sentence.

I think paper paroles are only for people under the old law, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:50 PM

I think paper paroles are only for people under the old law, but I'm not sure about that.[/quote]

Me thinks your right!
When was that, 96 or 94???

Rob