Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to Florida. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Power of Attorney

What good is the Power of Attorney if the prison and the warden fail to acknowledge it? Is there anything I can do?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish?

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM

He is trying to send monies to cover attorney expenses. The facility is ignoring the POA
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 PM

He is trying to send money home to cover his attorney fees? The prison won't let him? is this what you are saying? If this is the case, whom ever is sending him the money, just have them pay the attorney fee's... Or am I misunderstanding you? I don't understand how POA is needed for that anyway.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

I don't get that one either. It's just a form they have to fill out, but I thought I did read somewhere that you have to be on the visitation list to request a check to someone. I think it would be because people were being shady somehow. JMO, tho.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 AM

OK......my friend that I have POA on, his father passed, they were working on his will, his attorney fees came due, I paid them for him with the understanding that he would reimburse me. His monies came through so he is trying to reimburse me the attorney fees. NOTHING SHADY! I am not like that, just because others are......
Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

The attorney fee's from his criminal attorney? If so, he is darn lucky his attorney did not collect in advance as the majority do. If it is for the attorney for the will, couldn't he have just sent the money directly to him instead of you paying him off. Did he get any inheritance? If he did, with you being POA couldn't you just pay your self back by taking it from there? I am not too up on how that works.. DOC should allow him to send money to how ever is on his visitation list, you do not need to be POA to have him send you money
Old 12-05-2010, 02:04 AM

Hopefully we are getting it taken care of.....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM

I am assuming that you are trying to get power of attorney so that you can control his money and get what he owes you. I'm not sure how it works in the prison system, but I obtained power of attorney while my guy was in county jail. All I did was tell them what I was there for and they took the paperwork in the back. One of the guards was a notary, which you need. They filled everything out and brought it back to me. You can get the paperwork from legal zoom for thirty dollars or so. I was able to get a settlement from a pending case that was in his name and open a bank account under his name with my name on the account as POA. Good luck to you.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandk View Post
I am assuming that you are trying to get power of attorney so that you can control his money and get what he owes you. I'm not sure how it works in the prison system, but I obtained power of attorney while my guy was in county jail. All I did was tell them what I was there for and they took the paperwork in the back. One of the guards was a notary, which you need. They filled everything out and brought it back to me. You can get the paperwork from legal zoom for thirty dollars or so. I was able to get a settlement from a pending case that was in his name and open a bank account under his name with my name on the account as POA. Good luck to you.
I already have the POA
Old 12-05-2010, 01:24 PM

why do you need the prison to recognize it if you already have the check? i am confused.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twittemen View Post
Hopefully we are getting it taken care of.....
good luck.. let us know how you made out
Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
why do you need the prison to recognize it if you already have the check? i am confused.
she doesn't have a check, but she has power of attorney. She paid off a bill for him and now wants him to reimburse her & it seems the prison is not allowing it. I didn't think she needed to be POA for him to send her money.. and being she had POA, I don't understand why she used her money to pay off the attorney. It is confusing.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I don't have the check, just the Power of Attorney (POA)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
she doesn't have a check, but she has power of attorney. She paid off a bill for him and now wants him to reimburse her & it seems the prison is not allowing it. I didn't think she needed to be POA for him to send her money.. and being she had POA, I don't understand why she used her money to pay off the attorney. It is confusing.

OK to explain......I have power of attorney for my friend...his father passed away and one attorney was working on the estate, but his defense attorney wanted payment for work to be done so that he would not lose the attorney I paid the fee while he was waiting on the estate to be paid. With the understanding that he would pay me back. Now his inheritance has been paid so he is trying to reimburse me. Hope that explains a bit better
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Where is the money from the estate being held? Surely they didn't put it all on an inmate account. Depending on the rights granted in your particular power of attorney, go to the bank that is holding most of the money and pull it out yourself.

Make sure your power of attorney allows you to do that. Some are pretty basic things you can do. I know I have one for my son and another friend. Both are six pages of instructions and rights.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50401 View Post
Where is the money from the estate being held? Surely they didn't put it all on an inmate account. Depending on the rights granted in your particular power of attorney, go to the bank that is holding most of the money and pull it out yourself.

Make sure your power of attorney allows you to do that. Some are pretty basic things you can do. I know I have one for my son and another friend. Both are six pages of instructions and rights.
Unfortunately they did put it all in the inmate account. We are working on fixing that.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM

OMG.. it is all on an inmate account.. that was not a wise move for the estate attorney to have done.. DOC gets a hold of that money and may not want to part with it.. they may deduct his fines from there..
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!! That is why we are trying to fix it
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
LIFE WITH PUNISHMENT

Default inmate can sent money home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
I don't get that one either. It's just a form they have to fill out, but I thought I did read somewhere that you have to be on the visitation list to request a check to someone. I think it would be because people were being shady somehow. JMO, tho.
i am my husband power of attorney and what i need he can sent it to me, the inmate have to request to sent to you. put if you have any problem just call to the department of correction what ever county you are in if it is florida tallahassee, if i have a problem i call his classification officer if dont get answer i will calll tallahassee because there is problem that i am going though and i call twice on issue if we dont keep up our family member they will be mistreat in justice.