Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,918 Times in 7,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybaby724 View Post
So my question is how many kids are you able to take when visiting? And is there a dress code kids have to go by?
I don't know that there's a limit to the number of minors permitted during a visit, however, be aware that it's a crowded, noisy room with little to no dedicated space for younger children to play. COs can be very strict about play/running/horsing around so keep that in mind when considering who to bring and for how long.

Dress code is based on height. I can't recall the exact number of inches, but I believe it was 3ft and under can wear whatever they like. I'd still stay away from the color blue and jeans, but that's me being overly cautious. Over 3ft need to follow the same dress code as adults.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I don't know that there's a limit to the number of minors permitted during a visit, however, be aware that it's a crowded, noisy room with little to no dedicated space for younger children to play. COs can be very strict about play/running/horsing around so keep that in mind when considering who to bring and for how long.

Dress code is based on height. I can't recall the exact number of inches, but I believe it was 3ft and under can wear whatever they like. I'd still stay away from the color blue and jeans, but that's me being overly cautious. Over 3ft need to follow the same dress code as adults.
Thanks my visit will be behind glass due to the fact that he's in ad-seg =/. It's only an hour from what I was told .
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Thanks my visit will be behind glass due to the fact that he's in ad-seg =/. It's only an hour from what I was told .
Oh, Ok. I think they do limit the number of visitors during a non-contact for that time slot. Not minors, but in total. There's room for two chairs at the window, but I think I've seen more people than that. You may want to call visiting and ask.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, Ok. I think they do limit the number of visitors during a non-contact for that time slot. Not minors, but in total. There's room for two chairs at the window, but I think I've seen more people than that. You may want to call visiting and ask.
Ok I'll give them a call. Also, what is the dress code? What should I NOT wear lol
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Ok I'll give them a call. Also, what is the dress code? What should I NOT wear lol
It's been a few years since I've been to KVSP, but if they're anything like they were...dress like a nun. No joke. Pants need to sag a bit in the butt, nothing tight. No skinny jeans. Even better if your shirt comes down over your behind. Stick with black, purple, pink (grey used to be OK, but not sure). Do not wear black and red together. Sleeves need to cover your shoulders. No layering (tank under shirt). No hoods. If you wear a dress or skirt, make sure it's to the knee or below with your arms raised. Wear a slip underneath or be prepared to put one on. Nothing sheer. No metal in your bra. Shoes need to have a back, no flip flops or foam soles.

Ugh. I'm trying to remember and having PTSD.I don't mean to scare you, I just hate to see anyone get turned back for their clothes.

Black jeans with as little metal as possible and stretched out a bit, solid shoes and a reasonable would-wear-in-front-of-the-Pope shirt is my best advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Crazybaby724 (02-14-2018), sidewalker (02-22-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
It's been a few years since I've been to KVSP, but if they're anything like they were...dress like a nun. No joke. Pants need to sag a bit in the butt, nothing tight. No skinny jeans. Even better if your shirt comes down over your behind. Stick with black, purple, pink (grey used to be OK, but not sure). Do not wear black and red together. Sleeves need to cover your shoulders. No layering (tank under shirt). No hoods. If you wear a dress or skirt, make sure it's to the knee or below with your arms raised. Wear a slip underneath or be prepared to put one on. Nothing sheer. No metal in your bra. Shoes need to have a back, no flip flops or foam soles.

Ugh. I'm trying to remember and having PTSD.I don't mean to scare you, I just hate to see anyone get turned back for their clothes.

Black jeans with as little metal as possible and stretched out a bit, solid shoes and a reasonable would-wear-in-front-of-the-Pope shirt is my best advice.
Thank you for your help 😊
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazybaby724 For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-14-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:27 AM

Hey everyone! My bf recently transferred to KVSP and this weekend will be my first time visiting here. Seen alot of posts about dress code so I have a good idea about what to wear. Thanks! Any other tips for visitor processing? Also wondering what the policy on facial jewelry is?? I have visited another prison and was allowed to wear any/all jewelry as long as it was listed on the visit slip. I have a nose ring(hoop) and want to know if I can wear it at this facility.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,687 Times in 15,323 Posts

Im not sure tkayy but I just was reading the *visitors handbook* from cdcr and its says no excessive jewelry. So that is sort of subjective.
Hopefully someone who's visited this prison will chime in on facial piercings.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 AM

Thanks Sidewalker. Iíll probably just take it out and see how it goes. Lol

Do you know anything about walk-in visits there? Process for it or hours for it? i only have Saturday scheduled but Iím coming from San Diego so Iím trying to do Sunday as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to tkayy For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (03-13-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM

Aargh the appointment line!!! does anybody ever answer it?
Anyone Actually get an appointment yesterday or this morning?

Last edited by Eowyn; 02-27-2018 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Error
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Default Service Dog in Training

I am planning to visit a family member this summer. I train service dogs and always have a service dog in training with me. I've seen Kern's policy on service dogs but has anyone brought a service dogs in training before? It's very difficult to find someone to watch my service dog if I'm gone the dog goes everywhere with me.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 PM

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,743 Posts

Your best bet would be to call or better yet email (so you have it in writing) the facility and ask. In either case try to get written permission that you can take with you to visit. You'll likely need to talk to someone higher up than whoever answers the phone so be prepared to tell the situation several times through the run around. Good luck!
His_Queen13 (03-14-2018), sidewalker (03-13-2018), Willowtree46 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Donation Award 

I have a feeling that unless the dog is YOUR dog (meaning you need it for service) they wont let the dog in.
I for sure could be wrong on this, but its just my feeling.

To be safe, I'd try to find a dog sitter.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Your best bet would be to call or better yet email (so you have it in writing) the facility and ask. In either case try to get written permission that you can take with you to visit. You'll likely need to talk to someone higher up than whoever answers the phone so be prepared to tell the situation several times through the run around. Good luck!
The Visiting office can be very difficult to get a hold of. Try extension 5711 or, if you don't get a hold of anyone there, try the Public Information Officer at ext. 5514
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 500_Trudy For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-13-2018), sidewalker (03-14-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:19 AM
MR.

does any one know how to fill out a prison visitation form online it's for Kern valley state prison can some one please help me thanks
Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Default Nervous about visiting Kern.

Hi there everyone. Iíve been perusing this forum quietly for a few months now and thought I would make a post to get some advice.
A friend and I are planning a trip to visit another friend at KVSP. He has had no visitors the whole time he has been in prison and we both believe this is important to do. He needs to know there are people on the outside who still care about him. However, Iím feeling very nervous about the whole thing. I have never visited a prison before and am having some trouble with the fact that my first visit will be to a maximum security prison.
Does anyone have any advice to ease my fears? I donít want the visit to be miserable for my friend, because I am a nervous wreck!
Iíve read through the Newbie Q&A threads and a few others, but Iíd really like some descriptions of what it is like walking into KVSP just so I am prepared.
Thank you in advance!
Old 03-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Dkladis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgotree347 View Post
Hi there everyone. Iíve been perusing this forum quietly for a few months now and thought I would make a post to get some advice.
A friend and I are planning a trip to visit another friend at KVSP. He has had no visitors the whole time he has been in prison and we both believe this is important to do. He needs to know there are people on the outside who still care about him. However, Iím feeling very nervous about the whole thing. I have never visited a prison before and am having some trouble with the fact that my first visit will be to a maximum security prison.
Does anyone have any advice to ease my fears? I donít want the visit to be miserable for my friend, because I am a nervous wreck!
Iíve read through the Newbie Q&A threads and a few others, but Iíd really like some descriptions of what it is like walking into KVSP just so I am prepared.
Thank you in advance!
I went to visit for the first time last month and was very nervous as well. I arrived at the gate an hour before my appointment. I showed the woman at the gate my ID and appointment confirmation. You follow the signs to the visitor parking lot. You should see others walking to the area to wait to go in and be processed. I found that everyone waiting was friendly and happy to help newcomers. Just ask the last person in line what time their appointment is to figure out where you should be. When your time comes to be processed you get a ďticketĒ from an officer as you go inside the building-it has a number on it. Fill it out (you will need his inmate number) and wait for them to call your number. Go up and the guard will check your ID and send you back to wait. Then the guards processing will call your name. It is similar to going through airport security. Shoes and things in a bin and go through the metal detector. I had to get wanded both days I went because of the button on my pants. . For that you go into a room with a female guard. After all that, you go back outside and wait for the gates to open and walk to the visitor buildings. When you walk into the visitor building another guard is at a desk and check ID again and calls for them to send your friend. He lets you into the visiting room and you go up to that desk with your paper pass. That guard assigns a table and has someone show you to your table and gets you chairs. I get anxious easily and had no issues. All other visitors and staff were pleasant towards me and helpful. I did get anxious when at the vending machines and other people were behind me-but that happens when I am at the grocery store. This is all the information I wish I had known before going. I hope it is helpful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dkladis For This Useful Post:
500_Trudy (04-04-2018), Sarianna (04-01-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM

Are we allowed to wear sandals??
Old 05-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Are we allowed to wear sandals??
Yes, but I haven't been there in a few years so I don't know if they require backs. So to be safe, I'd make sure they have a back strap on them and no foam soles.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:58 PM

Hi Ladies!! just a quick question- What colors are we not allowed to wear to KVSP?

Thank you in advance & Blessed day
Old 07-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Donation Award 

Any color that looks like either guards or inmates.
No blue, green, cammo, orange (sometimes red as well)

White is iffy (possibly see thru) and tan is iffy.

black, pink, purple. (make sure black is not faded to look gray. At least that is what Ive heard before)
Just bring a few changes of clothing to change into that you KNOW will pass thru.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Thank you so much! wasn't sure if it was blue or black that they didn't allow Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Any color that looks like either guards or inmates.
No blue, green, cammo, orange (sometimes red as well)

White is iffy (possibly see thru) and tan is iffy.

black, pink, purple. (make sure black is not faded to look gray. At least that is what Ive heard before)
Just bring a few changes of clothing to change into that you KNOW will pass thru.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 PM

My husband was recently transferred to Kern valley and I wanted to know how to set up visiting? Do I call the visiting line (which I've tried but it's always busy), is there certain times to call? Can I set up an appt through class? How many visitors allowed at one time? Thank you
Old 07-28-2018, 02:49 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,684 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamswife6200 View Post
My husband was recently transferred to Kern valley and I wanted to know how to set up visiting? Do I call the visiting line (which I've tried but it's always busy), is there certain times to call? Can I set up an appt through class? How many visitors allowed at one time? Thank you
If you have been approved for visits already and your husband is eligible for contact visits - I believe you can schedule your visits on VPASS. On the PrisonPro website they mention that some people just come up before 6am without scheduling a visit and hope for the best, but I am not personally familiar with this prison so cannot say if that's true and/or recommendable.

I am not sure about the limitation on how many people can visit - hopefully someone with experience visiting this facility will chime in! I am attaching the CDCR Visitors Guide just in case HERE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
Bamswife6200 (07-28-2018), sidewalker (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Thank you, yes I am approved. I've just been unable to get in contact with anyone at visiting and thought the appointment line was the only way.

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamswife6200 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (07-28-2018)