Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Child support while in custody

Does anyone know if child support still builds up while incarcerated? Looks like i'll be going away for a decade and don't want to come out full of debt
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Yeah it does. It doesn't stop just because you get locked up. But you need to let the child support office know what's going on so maybe you guys can work something out and prevent them from putting out a warrant on you for non-payment. If that happens then that warrant will be waiting on you when you get released from the current charges.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hellboy For This Useful Post:
Luvs__iridescent (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 PM

I spoke with a lady from child support and she said my obligation goes down to zero while . incarcerated
Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 PM

That's really good cuz my man pays cs to Colorado and they dropped it to 50 a month but zero dang
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Child Support

You need to file a petition with the court to stop it. Unless you do it legally, it still accumulates. My son was successful with his petition and will not accumulate during his time in prison.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM

Did he petition while incarcerated or before?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mike View Post
Did he petition while incarcerated or before?
He filed after he went to prison. I downloaded all the forms off the self serve site and sent them to him. Due to the length of his sentence (8 years, 3 months) and the lack of income, the judge ruled to suspend it during his incarceration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Franbake For This Useful Post:
lil mike (10-10-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,624 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mike View Post
Does anyone know if child support still builds up while incarcerated? Looks like i'll be going away for a decade and don't want to come out full of debt
The current order will continue until you file a petition to modify. No guarantee that they will set it to 0. They will ask about assets if mom contests it or if mom is receiving state aid. If you owe arrearages the interest will continue.

They can take up to 50% of any money you earn while in prison which goes towards restitution and fines, current child support and arrearages. When you file to modify be sure to include the amount you have to pay towards fines and restitution. The criminal Court can order up to 40% garnishment towards those. So, if you owe back or current child support make sure your criminal attorney has proof of it so he can ask for less. The lowest In our county is 20% by the criminal Court.