Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 PM

Default How long to receive mail from Federal prison?

My son has now been at Elkton for a week. He said he sent us information last week Thurs. It's now Wed and we have not received anything yet. I was just wondering on average how long does it take to receive mail from an inmate. I understand that they look over everything coming and going. I guess I am just anxious to receive this info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Living Hell For This Useful Post:
John M (03-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Hell View Post
My son has now been at Elkton for a week. He said he sent us information last week Thurs. It's now Wed and we have not received anything yet. I was just wondering on average how long does it take to receive mail from an inmate. I understand that they look over everything coming and going. I guess I am just anxious to receive this info.
It seems to vary from prison to prison. The BOP certainly doesn't feel the need to rush in anything they do. I've sent letters to my friend and he has gotten them in 3 days...or up to a week and a half.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,073 Times in 12,748 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. It depends on how quickly the mail room sends the outgoing mail to the US Post Office. Newly arrived inmates sometimes have difficulty getting stamps & stationary at the commissary. If they transferred in, their shipped property from the last prison may not arrive for a couple of weeks.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 AM

I don't believe outgoing mail is looked at by the mail room as thoroughly as the incoming mail. From my experience at Elkton, the outgoing mail from the inmate is placed in a locked, grey metal box by the doors leading out of the dorms. It is up to the COs to empty that box and take any outgoing mail to the mail room. They only empty/check that box Monday thru Friday. And I suspect that some days it is not checked at all. It just depends on the CO that is on duty for the evening/night shift. So outgoing mail from the inmate to the outside world may end up being delayed longer than the mail that comes in from the outside to the mail room.

If it was a large amount of information, the postage on the envelope must be correct as far as the weight. If it isn't, the mail room won't send it out. At Elkton, there is a scale and postage amount listing in the Law library. The inmate just has to go to the law library and ask the person at the desk there to weigh the package. They can then tell the inmate the correct amount of postage. Stamps can be purchased through the commissary, however the inmate is only allowed to purchase $10 of stamps each week when they go to commissary ($1 stamps are used as currency inside as paper money is not allowed). Also, if the inmate is mailing something weighing say 5 pounds or more, there is a scale in the recreation department that the package can be weighed on if it is too large for the scale in the law library.

Last edited by Fockwulf; 03-07-2019 at 10:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,073 Times in 12,748 Posts

Normal mail surveillance depends on the security level of the prison. Outgoing letters can be sealed in minimum & low security prisons, but must be unsealed in anything with a higher custody level.

The amount of review also depends on the actual inmate. Sealed or not, if someone is targeted each piece of mail, in or out, is photocopied, sent to the SIS special agents, and delayed until they approve each piece. The photocopies are kept forever in hopes that they can be used against the prisoner in the future.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 03-07-2019 at 06:55 PM..