Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Son gets transferred to county jail from juvenile hall in 20 days

Like everyone else I won't ever talk about my sons case. So worried about him being transferred to county to wait for trial for years. Omg the horror stories and the fear. I'm his second mama and he turns 18 in 20 days. Ok any parents/step/foster with some reassurance who been there done that please chime in. Love and prayers to all your family and kids.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmom View Post
Like everyone else I won't ever talk about my sons case. So worried about him being transferred to county to wait for trial for years. Omg the horror stories and the fear. I'm his second mama and he turns 18 in 20 days. Ok any parents/step/foster with some reassurance who been there done that please chime in. Love and prayers to all your family and kids.
My 16 year old spent 3 weeks in the county jail. They separated them from adults and I would say that beyond it not being fun to be in there - I get a sense that it was safe. I would have been fine if he was there a long time.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:30 AM
attorney

Thanked 20,720 Times in 7,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmom View Post
It really depends on a few things - your son, the crime he's accused of, and the size of the county.

Juveniles cannot be housed with adults, no matter what county you're in. In small counties, he could be the only guy in jail awaiting trial. In larger counties, the guys pre-adjudication are housed together, and can be divided by the type of crime (violent, non-violent, misdemeanor, felony, etc), and by the person involved - gang kids are houses in more restrictive conditions than others, mentally ill, gay, whatever can also find themselves housed with similar. It really depends.

Don't listen to the horror stories - the horror stories are generally exaggerations of the worst things that have happened in juvenile (or sometimes prison). Doesn't mean it happened yesterday, last week, or even within the last decade. Encourage him to practice good prison etiquette. And if he's in a real small county, he's going to get really, really bored unless he's working towards something - academic, sobriety, something.