Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:24 PM

Default Being sent to juvie-scared

I'm completely terrified. About a month ago one of my close friends was shot from a distance when I was with her in a park. I was in the bathroom at the time and she was waiting outside behind a tree. I heard the shot and rushed out, she was lying on the ground, just bleeding. The gun was lying on top of her and stupidly I picked up and threw it to one side. She died when I was holding her, I couldn't tell because it was dark and I was really drunk but they said she was already dead. I think some one heard and called the police who tried to get me to let go of her. I went absolutely crazy and scratched one of them down their face. I don't even know how I did it because I'm tiny, I had a growth issue when I was younger. They thought I'd killed her for a while and wouldn't let me go. Then I was just left with the assaulting an officer charge. The whole time in custody was horrible, I was shoved around and cuffed all the time, I understand why, but it was really tough.

The judge said I'd get sent to juvie for it. My lawyer told me to expect a high security level. I'm really scared that I'll get beaten up all the time because I'm so small and well off. I know this sounds really stupid but , whats it like? Will I be picked on by guards or something because of my conviction? Will they use handcuffs all the time?

My parents are really upset, they're not angry just sad for my future, I had everything going for me. They're also really scared because I get really mad when people boss me around and they think Ill fight the guards. But I don't really understand how I'm a threat, I'm just under 5 ft!! I'm 16 btw, and I pleaded guilty.
The Following User Says Thank You to agnesyep For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,166 Posts

The higher the security level the more restraint. I would suggest you don't let people know your "well off". Try and get a handle on your anger issues or you can face additional assault charges if you lose your temper in there.
On the positive side, if you do your best to follow the rules,be considerate of others and stay away from trouble then you will probably do just fine.They may even lower your security level if your there for some time
People survive what they don't like,accept that they made a bad decison and they just put their head down and get through the stuff they would rather not have to face.It won't last forever.
I will tell you your lucky.My man's sister is doing 24 years for a crime that was more about her being in the wrong place with the wrong people and she went in at 16.Nobody died and I still can't understand why they went after her so hard just because she refused to testify against others involved.They did offer her a very "sweet" deal (I say reasonable) and then took a big chunk of her youth from her.
One mistake can cost you everything and it doesn't even have to be a big one.
Time to start being the person you will be proud to have been ,when you look back on your life.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,693 Times in 11,055 Posts

Good advice for sure. How you act inside will be the biggest factor in how you are received since you will be there for assaulting a policeman. Your reasons, which will be considered excuses regardless of how justified you were at the time, won't be helpful. In fact, you could easily catch more trouble from the CO staff if they decide you are trying to "minimize" your crime. Try to be as invisible as possible, and always remember that your sentence will end. It won't be fun while it lasts, but it will be over.

The absolutely worst thing you could do is to lengthen your time inside because of bad behavior, especially if it results in a new crime.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,779 Times in 13,644 Posts

I really want to echo what fbopnomore and Sheryl said.
If you do end up in juvie there are going to be rules. You are expected to abide by them (even when they change them up) Some of the guards will probably look at you assaulting another officer as a reason to give you grief. They shouldnt but I can see why they might.
you are going to have to suck it up and do exactly what you are told.
Being small may well likely give others the idea its ok to push you around but getting into fights will only worsen the situation.
be as invisible as you can, do everything you're told, follow the rules and by all means dont tell anyone you have money. That will just make that target on you bigger.

Im sorry you are going thru this. It stinks to lose a friend like you did, and then end up in your situation.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM

So I shouldn't say anything about my crime if I can help it? Will i have to go to a counselling thing or something? I'm also on hormone balancers to try and make me grow, will i still be able to take them? If you were 17 or something in jail and you saw some one there as well who looked about 10 what would you do? I think I'm going to be picked on for something I can't do anything about. Sorry for the questions. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,693 Times in 11,055 Posts

Keep your business to yourself unless you decide it is helpful to disclose it. The staff will all know already.

The medications you receive will be completely up to the medical staff there. You may have a better chance to stay on the meds you are currently taking if your judge includes them in your sentencing paperwork. Also be sure to provide a written explanation of your diagnosis and treatment plan, from your doctor, to your judge and/or whoever does your presentence investigation.

Many times you can convince other inmates that you refuse to be picked on, short of an actual fight, by standing up to any aggression. If you give in to it, the harassment will only increase. Try to deal with it yourself, but if it becomes overwhelming, report it to the staff until it is resolved. If they seem disinterested, report it in writing and keep a record of all of your attempts.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-26-2014 at 07:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-28-2014)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 AM

We had a come to Jesus talk yesterday and he broke down crying saying he is so scared and that he is trying to make decisions that he has no clue about. He apologized profusely. We still have a long way to go though..????
Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 PM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 698 Posts

"Try to deal with it yourself, but if it becomes overwhelming, report it to the staff until it is resolved. If they seem disinterested, report it in writing and keep a record of all of your attempts."

This is so different from the usual advice for adult institutions that I wanted to ask about it.

OK, protecting your own safety is not the same thing as reporting who the heroin dealer is. But will the other prisoners take it that way? Will someone who does this be labeled a snitch? Is that a less damaging label than it is in an adult prison?

Don't "snitches" wind up needing protective custody anyway? Why not check in directly?